• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dog De-Barker

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog De-Barker

I dont know if thats what its actually called, but thats what I call it! Its the little machine that makes a high pitched noise that only dogs can hear when they bark. (Or something along those lines).

Saw one in a store the other day and we got it. I have a WEIRD sleep schedule (dont sleep between 3am-7am but then fall asleep again between 7-10am--ish). SO leaves the house at 7:30, takes the dogs out of the bedroom and I get to sleep in. Problem is--the dogs bark for a few minutes every half hour or so. ("Look--theres a bird in the yard! Ohh, a car went by! Hmm..the wind is blowing!!)

Got the dog de-barker in hopes that we could put it out there with them while im attempting to sleep. We tried it out once while we were with the dogs, and it seemed to work. However, on the instructions, it says when the dog stops barking you have to praise like crazy. Problem is--the dogs rarely bark when we're with them.

I feel like im rambling...but I guess I would like to know what people think of these (are they mean!?) and how important is the praising part if the dogs seem to stop barking when they hear the noise?
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I don't think they are mean at all. I ordered the citronella spray one for my barking dog but haven't recieved it yet.

Comment

1) Success through Management; Can you take away the things that the dog barks at. ie if they are sitting by the window barking at the squirrels can you keep them in a room without a window? Crate them? Put sheets over the crates so they can't see out. (this is just for the 7-10 am time period when you are sleeping). Let them sleep in with you? Have the SO give them a hard core walk/run/fetch sesssion before he/she leaves them int he house with you trying to sleep in? Tongue on the Ground can be a good thing. Ie a tired dog is a content dog.

2) Success through training; the praise thing is the training that many people never follow through on. Think of the sonic no barker thing as a training gadget, ie draw reins. it can work if you use is as part of your training toolbox, but might not work if it's all that you use. In other words for some dogs just the sonic noise might be enough to stop the barking permanatly.... but for others you do need to follow up and use training (ie praise when they are quiet) I own a barky breed dog fwiw, and haven't found the perfect solution other than tongue on the ground.

FWIW I think that real De-Barking of a dog is surgically removing the vocal chords.... so you are not technically de-barking your dog. Just pointing that out incase you get someone reading your post and freaking out on you.

Comment

We bought the anti-bark machine from Hammacher Schlemmer. Didn't work and YES we followed the instructions. We had exactly the same issues you faced (and oddly enough I had a similar sleep pattern LOL). Making it worse, we were in a rental at the time with 2 more dogs then the landlord thought we had! We should've returned the darn thing, it was like $50 bucks and HS has a very good return policy.
        ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
        Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Comment

Nope, not mean. There's also the ultrasonic models that you put in a room, the dog barks, the thing squeels (you can't hear it) and the dog theoretically shuts up!

If I had a dog who barked and barked and barked, I'd try all sorts of things to shut him up...including debarking (very simple, doesn't hurt them and takes all of 2 minutes to do (you cut the vocal cords with a uterine biopsy punch under local anethesia).

I taught my boxer to not bark when she was a puppy...took about an hour over 2 days...a worthwhile investment.

Now, my idiot neighbor's bloody hounds who barked forever (lovely at 2:00 AM when their skanky daughter was out on the town and left the dogs outside)...I wanted to cure their barking with a .22!
          "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

Get a basenji :-)

Comment

Originally posted by atlatl View Post
              Get a basenji :-)
              Terminal Yodeling!

The American Indians taught their dogs not to bark. It's not that difficult and not the least bit a punishing technique...for puppies.
              "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

I can usually get my parent's dog not to bark. My mom doesn't really care, but when I'm home I can usually get him to cut it out. You do have to be awake for this though, I give him an "aht" when I see him lock on to something outside, and again when he barks/whines about it. Then praise when he listens. If you have the time to do this during the day, it might carry over to that early morning. Otherwise I'd try NRB's management ideas. How are you with earplugs?
                "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

Kateh, during the day, I do the same thing. Doesnt seem to carry over to when im out of the room though. I may just have to get ear plugs!

I cant keep them in the room with me when im sleeping because they each have little habits that wake me up. One sleeps with her feet up against the wall and (multiple times a night/morning) runs in her sleep and scratches the wall. The other girl gets up and down off of the bed a few times and the boy licks himself A LOT. Each of these things wakes me up each and every time they happen...i'm a VERY light sleeper....aka I dont sleep much!)

SO put out the de barker this morning before he left, but of course this is the one morning I wake up on my own right after he leaves. I've left it on all day since. I went back to check the horses twice and each time ive returned, theyve barked. (well, one dog seems to understand the de barker, one gets it sometimes and the other ("special") dog DOES NOT GET IT. Bless her heart, but shes an idiot.
                  Of course they barked at me each time I came home, but the Fed Ex guy came up the driveway (no reaction) and rang the door bell (usually they go crazy for the doorbell). Nothing. No response. hmmph.
                  Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
                  White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat518 View Post
                    Each of these things wakes me up each and every time they happen...i'm a VERY light sleeper....aka I dont sleep much!)
                    I'm a lite sleeper and spent the better part of my teens/20's in insomnia land so I can really sympathise with your plight. I do love my Ambian. The 5mg dose is enough. I also use ear plugs on occasion as well.

Comment

For those that sleep at odd hours, a white noise machine is your friend

I work mids and sleep during the day , and it really helps drown out the sound from outside (including my dopes barking) and help you get a good night/days sleep.

This is what I have and it is worth every penny. The only drawback to it is that once you get used to sleeping with it on it is hard to sleep without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMa.../dp/B000KUHFGM
                      "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
                      ignorance!" Officer Beck

Comment

box fan in the summer and a humidifier in the winter are my white noise machines.

Comment

Originally posted by LoriO View Post
                          For those that sleep at odd hours, a white noise machine is your friend

I work mids and sleep during the day , and it really helps drown out the sound from outside (including my dopes barking) and help you get a good night/days sleep.

This is what I have and it is worth every penny. The only drawback to it is that once you get used to sleeping with it on it is hard to sleep without it.

http://www.amazon.com/Marpac-SleepMa.../dp/B000KUHFGM
                          My SO worked 2nd/3rd shift for years. I bought him one for Xmas about5 years ago and it been used daily ever since. Best $30 I ever spent!

Comment

The only other drawback to getting used to the white noise machine is when you lose power. Nothing like the sound of silence to wake you right up
                            "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
                            ignorance!" Officer Beck

Comment

I live in Massachusetts and the box fan in my bedroom is on seven nights a week, even in January. I have a little white noise machine that I bring with me if I travel.
                              I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

wish i could find something to stop my dog from barking. she's an aussie/chow mix who is the boss of the pack and she gets going whenever someone comes in or out of the house or driveway.

we've tried the citronella colllar, the high pitched squeally thing, spray bottles of water, ignoring barking and praising effusively for quiet, air horn, i can't remember what else.

it makes us nuts, though we love her to pieces.
                                we're going to get a trainer at the house for a few sessions, since i really do not wish to de-bark her.
                                ugh, never had such a persistant barking problem.

Comment

How about a no-bark collar?

Comment

We tried "bark-off" and with 6 dogs, it was a good experiment.

One of the JRT's hid for days....the others basically laughed it off.....

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/SportDOG-Recha...3694264&sr=8-1

Comment

Working...
                                      X