Sport Horse Spotlight

Carinjo Jumping 1

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Foster dog had 11 puppies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foster dog had 11 puppies

We picked up an emergency foster dog a week ago. They called and said it was urgent, she was pregnant and due any day and they didn't want her to give birth at the shelter. This is my first time fostering. I do not have any other pets in the house but am on a 20-acre horse farm.

She woke me up nice and early this morning to go potty, and shortly after coming inside she started whelping. I thought she was done after seven pups. She napped, was quiet, showed no more signs of being in labor. About five hours went by and no more came, so I assumed she was done. I went into my bedroom to give her some space, and came out 1.5 hours later to four more puppies. So there are 11 puppies. For all I know she still isn't done.
    There were two stillborn, sadly, so she actually birthed 13.

Not gonna lie, I am a bit overwhelmed. I did some research, she's on the large end of a medium sized dog, boxer-type-mix, average litter size 5-8, sounded doable so I was game. Eleven is ... wow. What do you do with that many puppies? Where do I put them, how do I contain them once they start walking? I'm trying to tell myself, take it one step at a time, it'll be three weeks before they're walking so I have time to figure out a better space for them, how to handle outside, etc. At six weeks I have to take them in to get vaccinated - 12 dogs in the car! I have an Expedition but I mean... do I ask the shelter to give me a gigantic transport crate? Use the horse trailer??

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Last edited by mmeqcenter; May. 22, 2020, 09:33 PM.

Wow! I've been following a family that fostered a mother dog just before she had puppies and they're just getting to the end of their journey with them! The owner of the Instagram account has really used her account to get supplies to the puppies and get the word out about them. they've been fielding adoption requests for weeks now.

https://www.instagram.com/shesabrick.house/

If you haven't already and can get out, get some tarps, blankets, start stocking up on puppy pads. Maybe even a big kiddy pool to keep them contained. Then you're going to have to find a gate system that you can keep them corraled when they start walking!

Comment

OH, wow! Congrats, foster mom!

She will definitely need some extra calories, and with 11, you will probably need to bottle feed the smaller ones to be sure they get enough to eat. Sometimes the runts can get knocked out of the way by the bigger pups and don't thrive. Be prepared. They will probably need supplemented every 2-3 hours for a couple of weeks. Maybe not every feeding, but keep an eye on them.

A crate isn't a bad idea - when they're a bit older - for transporting them, but I would take them in stages, 3 or 4 at a time, if it were me. At six weeks, they'll survive being away from mum for a bit.

Comment

no help here but THANK YOU so much for helping these poor critters. Wonderful, generous deed you're doing.
        "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks all! Yep I’m getting formula today. At least I have three weeks to figure out what to do with 11 walking puppies

Comment

wow 13 huh.... wonder how many different dads, the hussy.

I took in a pregnant cat then the she died and left the kittens - after purchasing expensive formula I found out you can use goat milk (had a goat farm just down the rd. Dang it)

Have the video ready. It is sure to be a comedy! My mom used an old wooden playpen for pups, but 11 you'll need a kennel.
            The cue card kid just held up an empty cue card. For a minute there I thought I had lost my sense of humor. --- Red Skelton

Comment

We're gonna need pictures. You'll need the equivalent of a mini horse round pen to contain them all. Or maybe some short picket fence partitions to temporarily hinge together. ??
              Lots of metal puppy playpens on Amazon like these. Or do you have an xtra room or bathroom to give them?
              https://petlifetoday.com/best-dog-an...door-playpens/
              "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

That's gonna be a houseful! When I read this I immediately flashed back to when I was involved in showing dogs. Mikail Barishnikov (sp?) had a Standard Poodle bitch that he had bred. She gave birth to 12 puppies! In a NYC apartment - okay a penthouse, but still! There were some frantic calls from his staff as the puppies got older. They had to be evaluated for show quality before any were placed and they were driving everyone crazy.

Comment

I can remember going to see a clients golden retriever bitch with her puppies,at least 8. The owner had blocked off a large stall in the basement with boards high enough to contain the clumsy puppies and had put down straw over a plastic liner. The boards were high enough to contain the pups but the bitch could come and go easily. For now, perhaps a kiddies wading pool will do. large enough for the bitch to lay out but will contain the puppies.
                  _\\]
                  -- * > hoopoe
                  Procrastinate NOW
                  Introverted Since 1957

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
                    We're gonna need pictures. You'll need the equivalent of a mini horse round pen to contain them all. Or maybe some short picket fence partitions to temporarily hinge together. ??
                    Lots of metal puppy playpens on Amazon like these. Or do you have an xtra room or bathroom to give them?
                    https://petlifetoday.com/best-dog-an...door-playpens/
                    We have some leftover wire horse fencing I can fashion a pen outside with. I'm more concerned with what to do with them inside we don't have a huge house! We are leaning towards completely emptying out our foyer (tile floor) and keeping them in there. It is about 6-8" lower than the rest of the house and only one doorway into the house so can easily block that off and contain them.

They have the mom down as a boxer mix, no clue what she bred with.

Comment

Aww adorable, but yeah then need an area with the whelping pen and with that many you should supplement feed every few hours. Too bad about the two stillborns. I am suprised a vet didn't know she wasn't done having puppies! That is a lot for one momma.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Callista17 View Post
                        Aww adorable, but yeah then need an area with the whelping pen and with that many you should supplement feed every few hours. Too bad about the two stillborns. I am suprised a vet didn't know she wasn't done having puppies! That is a lot for one momma.
                        I’m not a vet.
                        I asked the shelter I am fostering her for how many they expected, they didn’t know.

Comment

Laurierace is a veteran foster and puppy person so she probably has some ideas for you.

Congrats on the super cute pups!

P.
                          A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Comment

WOW what a brood!! I'd be contacting Embark DNA (Cornell) and see if they would donate the tests for some of the babies as it would make it much easier to get them new homes later. It'd be great PR for them and would generate some
                            public interest in their testing. It's just a saliva swab, easy to do.
                            Let me know if you'd like to do that and if you want, I'll volunteer to contact them as I'm a repeat customer having tested my rescue.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Marla 100 View Post
                              WOW what a brood!! I'd be contacting Embark DNA (Cornell) and see if they would donate the tests for some of the babies as it would make it much easier to get them new homes later. It'd be great PR for them and would generate some
                              public interest in their testing. It's just a saliva swab, easy to do.
                              Let me know if you'd like to do that and if you want, I'll volunteer to contact them as I'm a repeat customer having tested my rescue.
                              Oooh what a great idea! If you wouldn't mind, I'd really appreciate it! PM me for any information you need

Comment

• Original Poster

Tried to bottle feed some of the smaller puppies last night and none of them would take it. Any tricks?

Comment

Originally posted by mmeqcenter View Post
                                  Tried to bottle feed some of the smaller puppies last night and none of them would take it. Any tricks?
                                  They are too little to bottle feed and would need to be tube fed. Unfortunately for a non-experienced breeding a litter this size is hard. It doesn't matter if the puppies are small, if they are all gaining. Some will be bigger than others. So you may not have to tube feed them, but it's really hard to know if you're not weighing them every day.

I would see what resources you can find in your local community -- dog breeders will help you. Do you have them in a whelping box now? I would get in touch with your vet (or better yet, a repro vet if there is one in the area). They would probably know some experienced breeders who might be able to lend equipment and actual hands on help.

Comment

Here's a way to feed new borns that are too small to bottle feed, if you don't want to tube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4KdHiRsnM

Once they start walking exercise pens can be great to contain them in your foyer. Just make sure the flooring is something that is not slippery so they can get traction. Yoga mat type work great.
                                    https://www.chewy.com/frisco-wire-do...SABEgI0tfD_BwE

A scale for daily weights is great-because yes small is ok as long as gaining daily. I would reach out to the shelter for supplies, see if they can help.

They are adorable!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by jreventer View Post
                                      Here's a way to feed new borns that are too small to bottle feed, if you don't want to tube feed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4KdHiRsnM

Once they start walking exercise pens can be great to contain them in your foyer. Just make sure the flooring is something that is not slippery so they can get traction. Yoga mat type work great.
                                      https://www.chewy.com/frisco-wire-do...SABEgI0tfD_BwE

A scale for daily weights is great-because yes small is ok as long as gaining daily. I would reach out to the shelter for supplies, see if they can help.

They are adorable!
                                      Thank you! The shelter is who gave me the bottles and milk replacer I'll have to call them again on Tuesday and do what I can until them. I did get three to take about 5 mL each today. I have a kitchen scale I can start weighing them with. I think the shelter is more concerned about the mom feeding that than the puppies having problems. That is draining!

Comment

Congratulations! No good deed goes unpunished. Step one you need a baby pool and a pen. The pen can wait a bit but helps confine Mama too who undoubtedly will have diarrhea.
                                        Unless the mom doesn’t have milk you shouldn’t need to supplement but you do need to supervise. When I had a litter of 12 with 11 surviving GSD/Great Pyrenees puppies I literally spent a week sitting in that pool with them. I had a basket outside the pool and I rotated them. When a puppy stopped nursing or fell asleep they got put in the basket. When everyone is in the basket you start over again. It sounds awful and to be honest it is but it’s not as bad as tube or bottle feeding 11 puppies and much less risk of aspiration. I started mine on a slurry or canned puppy food and raw goats milk at 12 weeks old because Mama was emaciated so it helped take some of the burden off of her.
                                        I would be happy to help either by this thread or PM, whichever you prefer if you like. That big litter just about killed me not going to lie so I now have a weight limit for my pregnant fosters. I have a chiweenie and her three almost 2 week old puppies here right now that are much easier on my body.
                                        McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Working...
                                        X