Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Hart_Barn 1

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Do your pets allow you to sleep in?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do your pets allow you to sleep in?

I have three dogs. 10 month old GSD, 6yo terrier, 15yo bichon. GSD and terrier begin to double team me for brekkie at about 5AM every day. Some days I have luck getting up to feed them and going back to bed.

Anyone have any thoughts to sleep longer with demanding dogs?

Quit feeding them every day at 5AM. Pull the covers over your head and wait. As soon as they give up, get up and feed. The first few times may take awhile, since you have been rewarding the behavior.

Comment

Well, do you need to get up that early on some days? Or never, and they wake you up anyway.

I am up by 5am most days; it would be unrealistic to expect my dogs not to wake up at that time on Saturday and Sunday. They can't tell time.

Otherwise, consider what time they go to bed, last bathroom trip, and when they last ate. If the timing suggest that they should not NEED to pee/eat, I would try to ignore them until you re-train their behavior.

(But no, my dogs have never allowed me to go back to sleep).

Comment

My remaining dog is a "morning person". I tried feeding her a nighttime snack - no help. She has a doggie door, so it is not that she needs to go out. She just wakes up and thinks that I should be too. Now she has gotten me trained so that sleeping until 6 am is "sleeping in"! (And I am retired and not living on a farm!)For the longest time I refused to get up and either ignored her or yelled at her. So I stayed in bed longer but it wasnt restful and didnt translate into her not trying. Often now I will wake to feel her eyes on me and hear her breathing more loudly than she needs to. If she doesnt bark and it isnt too early, I will get up to reward her not barking. If she does start to turn up the volume, she now knows that she is in trouble in the bedroom. So she will go outside and bark - and I have to quiet her for the neighbors sake!

I am looking forward to "Spring ahead"!

Comment

My dog and cat both want me to get up at the same time every day so around 5 they begin the gentle notice that even though its the weekend I should get out of bed. I DO NOT feed them before 6:00 am so they never think they will get fed if they get me up. I also try not to feed on a super tight schedule so they don't have too much of that internal clock alarm. They still think I should be up at 5. Its super disappointing...

Comment

My 3 yr. old GSD wants to go out to urinate first thing at 5am. She's not a pest but when I first get up at 5 she's at the door to go out.
            I think your dogs want to go out to relieve themselves. The 10 mo. old is still just a puppy, maturity wise.
            "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

The cats will start to complain around 5:30 but they are easy to ignore. The dog, on the other hand, must be convinced that, yes he really does have to get out of bed every day lol!
              I'm an early riser though and pretty much the latest I ever sleep in is 6:30. I'm a weirdo and hate laying in bed, wasting daylight
              Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

My adult dogs get up when I get up. They don't cause a ruckus in the morning because they are used to my schedule and have a routine - and aren't naturally high energy breeds. My puppy won't wake me up in the morning per se, but he'll sure let me know in the middle of the night (very politely with a little whimper) that it is time to take him potty. That is just being a puppy and totally fine. In the morning he waits for me to get up... he doesn't get to get all riled up and decide that he is my alarm vs the alarm clock.

Comment

When they were young my cats tried to get me up to feed them. I ignored them. It's a pain for a few days, but you've got to bury yourself under the covers and not engage. They'll eventually learn it won't work and stop trying.

Comment

My 2 yr old GSD and 10 month kitten both let us be until we get up. The dog will gently let us know if it's an emergency and she has to go out NOW. It's important that I can sleep without being disturbed so I made sure to train the pup that she doesn't decide when it's time to start the day.

Comment

My cats will let me sleep an hour or two later on the weekends but once they decide its breakfast time its no holds barred on the annoying things they do, lol!

The smaller cat will get up on the dresser across the room from the bed and start shoving stuff off it. The big cat sits on the bed and stares at me then starts tapping my face with his paw. I shoo them out of the room then lay back down long enough so they don't think their shenanigans worked.

Comment

Our dog doesn't get out of bed until she knows for sure that someone is actually getting up. I'm someone who goes pee at least once, if not three times during the night.
                        During the week I get up at 5am and we go for a 30 minute walk or run, she gets breakfast and then she usually gets back in bed with SO while I shower.
                        On the weekends she's happy to sleep in a little bit longer.

However, the chickens don't let me sleep in. They wake up with the sun, during the winter they have a light on a timer that they get up with. During the summer I either have to lock them up tight so they don't wake up the neighbours, or I get up with the sun to let them out to free range. Happy chickens are quiet chickens, which is important when you have illegal poultry...Luckily my neighbours like watching them, they used to have some but decided they were too much work.

Comment

No....next question...

Comment

My dogs know the days of the week. They know weekends and they know dog training days. Not only does the collie let me sleep in, I swear she looks at me when the alarm goes off and says, "hit the snooze, mom. It's too early to get up!"

Seriously, you get the behavior you reward. Your pets have you better trained than you do them!

Comment

Only in my dreams!

Comment

I’m lucky- my 3 all sleep in until whenever we get up. The oldest will get up with my husband (he wakes earlier than me during the week) to have a quick pee then comes right back to bed with me and the other two. No barking, squeaking, nothing 😊

Comment

Rotten Ralph is exactly like Simon's Cat except he doesn't have a baseball bat at his disposal, he often sits on my chest or shoulder and whacks my face until I wake up to his big green eyes right in my face. Ella will lick my face until I wake up and The Evil Teen Kittens With Mittens will play tag on and under my bed like it's a bloody traffic circle. Need or want of food is not a reason as they all graze freely so it must be my sparkling personality and they want my company.

Ralph also has my nightly bathroom trips memorized and timed and if I don't get up at 2am and 5am he wakes me up and expects me to turn the tap on for him to get a drink.
                                  Mean Girls grow up to be Mean Women

Comment

Yes, the dogs even let me wake up a little before they go pee.

Comment

I think breed and age make a big difference. My dogs are not couch potatoes and wake up every morning ready to hunt - which is only reinforced by the occasional encounter with rabbits upon being let out in the morning. Sometimes they catch/kill them, and then they wake up in a bloodlust the next morning. My younger dog will literally shake with anticipation until I get up sometimes.

It sounds like it is a trained behavior but it's not really. It would be very hard to untrain, at any rate.

That said, my old lady (almost 14) sleeps like the dead and will happily go back to sleep after her morning pee if I wanted to. The boys are still too young for that (5 and 10).

Comment

The highlight of my cat’s life is mealtime, so she will ask for breakfast (sometime between 3am and whenever I eventually get up and feed her) by obnoxiously snuggling with me. I have never rewarded that behavior, after 5 1/2 but she still tries, bless her chubby heart. So I got an automatic feeder and that took care of the problem. She knows it feeds her at 4:30am (and yes, she does leap out of bed when she hears it) and then she’ll go back to bed and wait politely until I get up so she can have her spoonful of wet food.

Comment

Working...
                                        X