Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Look what followed me home.- makeover pics post #24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look what followed me home.- makeover pics post #24

Well more exactly I put her in the car and brought her home..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	0AEEE900-86CD-4067-AFD7-3621FEFECEDE.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.6 KB ID:	10574883Click image for larger version  Name:	F8C8E8B6-5B7D-4356-84A0-525AC0B9B3FA.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.7 KB ID:	10574884Click image for larger version  Name:	6C178A4D-C349-4627-A6F4-1234F8A0CF7C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.8 KB ID:	10574885

She was found dumped on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. They took her home, got her checked over and were going to keep her, but she never did settle in with the pack there, too many dogs and to noisy. Last straw was when one of the bigger bitches and her got into a fight. We are hoping that she will settle down here, with just my elderly JRT, and Achmed the attack cat!

First thing is to try and get her comfortable and a bit more confident with us, and she needs to gain a pound or two. Then it will be time to try and sort out het coat, she has some matts, not horrible, but enough that it will be a challenge to help her, so need her a little happier here first. Any tips, or suggested tools for cleaning her up, then keeping her pretty? I have never owned a fine haired dog before, so got a steep learning curve ahead I think.
    Last edited by KBC; Feb. 26, 2020, 10:54 PM.
    "He's not even a good pathological liar." Mara

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

She is so cute! I suspect you may have to brush a bit.

Comment

Aww!! Very cute!! Congrats on your new friend

I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole grooming thing, but I have learned that those coats pick up everything, so walks through rough terrain lead to a mess of burrs and things stuck in the coat. Maybe look for some DIY YouTube grooming videos or make an appointment with a groomer and ask for tips? I never brought my Maltese to a groomer, but I should have because I've never really mastered the art of clipping lol

Best wishes!

Comment

Achmed will show her the ropes.

Congratulations and good on her. Does she have a name yet?
        Mean Girls grow up to be Mean Women

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by CanadianTrotter View Post
          Achmed will show her the ropes.

Congratulations and good on her. Does she have a name yet?

She was called JJ, which I really don’t like. At the moment I’m calling her Chewie, because she looks like Chewbacca!

"You're just a very desperate troll, and not even a good one. You're like middle-school troll at best. Like a goblin, not even a troll." et_fig

Comment

Did anyone contact the pound? Has she been checked for a microchip? Sometimes dogs get dumped by people other than their families.

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by Moonlitoaks View Post
              Did anyone contact the pound? Has she been checked for a microchip? Sometimes dogs get dumped by people other than their families.
              All that was done when she was originally found some months ago.

Comment

Chewie is adorable. I've had and groomed my own toy poodles, Bichons, and a malti-poo. All fine haired and light colored that showed dirt.
                The grooming is pretty easy. Get her bathed and good conditioner to soften the mats. Good hair cutting scissors help.

Also like a steel long comb (Resco) and if she will tolerate it a slicker brush. I like the original Twinco slicker on Amazon I think.

After dematting, either cutting them out or scissoring them out, decide how long or short you want her hair. Hold hair in one hand and scissor with other. You'll figure it out. It's not hard and you get better as you go along. Talk softly to her as you do it as sometimes the hardest part is getting them to sit or stand still while you trim. Especially on ones not groomed much.

Remember we need an after picture too, OK?

congrats on your new little fluffball!
                "There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery." - Charles Darwin

Comment

We adopted a yorkie last summer. Her hair coat is totally different from our yorkie mix, who has thick fluff. I started with an old fashioned human hair brush and just brushed her a lot, combed once she was brushed out, bathed a few times with my own shampoo and conditioner. I used a nice sharp set of horse A5 clippers (and later bought doggy ones with fun colored guards, same basic tool, much cleaner!). I also bought some blunt tip kids' fiskars scissors. They scare me less than pointy scissors around squirmy doggies.

I'm still looking at photos and making mistakes! I did take her to the groomers once, so she could get the full spa tratment (nails, eyes, ears, anal glands, etc) and so they could do her feet and legs and face, the hardest parts for me. It was stupidly expensive but worthwhile. I'm not cut out to be anyone's hairdresser!

Your girl is adorable! Hope she settles in well with your quieter household.

Comment

So stinkin' cute! Good luck with the little bugger.
                    My hopeful road to the 2021 RRP TB Makeover: https://paradoxfarm.blog/

Comment

Originally posted by KBC View Post

All that was done when she was originally found some months ago.
                      Awesome. Congratulations on your new pet!

Comment

Squeeeeee !
                        Go, Baby, Go......
                        Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Comment

She looks a lot like my brother’s dog who is also named Chewie. Cute name for a cute dog.

Comment

Original Poster

Well we started with a bath, so at least she smells better

She is booked for the groomer on 26th, I have a feeling we will be getting a bald dog back!

Comment

Original Poster

Dammit, there were pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2E3ADA-CEAE-43E9-9D96-893111AC07DF.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	10577085Click image for larger version

Name:	86F975E4-4AFC-4C68-96B7-F8C0037367B1.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	10577086Click image for larger version

Name:	7A9577CF-0679-40EA-8F98-45FF70663D8C.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	10577087

Comment

Awww! She looks like a Shi Tzu!

I have a Lhasa, a failed show dude bc his underbite exceeded the breed standard. Anywho, he came with Espana Silk doggie shampoo and conditioner. They are great products, I actually like the shampoo for myself.

When I bathe him, I follow up with showsheen before he even exits the tub. I close him in the bathroom and have the hairdryer at the ready along with a bazillion towels. I initially use a regular hair brush with the dryer and once he’s close to dry, I switch to a slicker brush and some extra showsheen. With the showsheen and slicker brush, the tangles close to his skin slide out easily, especially on his tail. He’s funny bc once he’s dry, he doesn’t want to be brushed anymore! He also goes to a groomer every 6 weeks. Like my Lhasapoo before him, he quickly decided that I was not a pro groomer and has decided against my efforts! I keep trying anyway!

Good luck with sweet Chewey! She is adorable!!!

Comment

You may know the following, but perhaps it would be helpful to some readers.

My many years of experience grooming a Shih Tzu (in between professional grooming appointments) developed into this routine:

Brush out the dog, followed by application of an eye product, such as GenTeal severe eye "lube" before (and after) bathing. I bathe this size of dog in the large side of our double-bowl kitchen sink, using one of those rubbery sink inserts with suction cups on the bottom (meant to protect china) to provide a non-slip surface.

Two latherings/rinsings with desired shampoo, followed by creme rinse. To help get grime out of paws, close the sink stopper to let the feet really soak while wetting the dog, then drain out; repeat during rinsing. Use damp washcloths with a wee amount of very diluted tearless shampoo on the face (my groomer uses Ivory!). There's a knack to gently holding onto each side of the moustache while rinsing with the sink sprayer on low.

Very thorough rinsing of dog, more than one would ever think necessary, allow a moment of drip drying, then gently squeeze excess moisture from hair (ears, tummy, tail, paws) twice.

Wrap the dog in a bath towel, pat dry, repeat with fresh towel, then two or three full-size Sham Wows (artificial shammies) on the body, using a small one on the head. Special attention on the ears.

Use the towels and shammies to make a comfy pad, where the Tzu is placed for blow-drying using a pet-specific dryer. I prefer a pocket size human brush with ventilated back (lots of airflow), and relatively sparse bristles tipped with rubbery beads. I like a long-tailed comb for feet and moustache/beard, and ball-tipped scissors for safety. Re-apply the eye protectant after bathing. I made a fleece dog grooming pillow (similar to neck pillows people use on flights), so the dog can rest its head.

For coat the length of your dog, I use no-tangle grooming spray (my groomer likes Cowboy Magic on bad snarls). Quickly blow torso hair against the grain, all-over to a damp state, then tail to almost dry while brushing with slight amount of tension (blow-drying and tension straighten hair somewhat, so it's not wavy). Then, outer ears, then inner (they tend to stay damp underneath, where ear attaches to head). Ears take so long to dry completely that I alternate them with finish drying of the torso and chest, so the dog doesn't become restless.

For lower body, I lay the dog on its side to dry belly, inner thighs, lower legs and paws (combing those). Not too long on each side. It's helpful to lightly rest my arm on dog's shoulder to help dog stay in position.

Blow dry topknot while brushing and protecting dog's eyes from air flow. Lastly, dry moustache while combing (eyes covered) straight down with slight amount of tension. Band moustache with small elastics (kind used for horse manes, or found at beauty supply), so they'll dry in such a way that hair won't poke eyes while drying or when dry.; remove elastics when hair is dry.

Section off topknot (sometimes do two, like a Maltese), fastened with elastics. I prefer soft toddlers' hair accessories, instead of the stiff bows sold for dogs, to finish off topknot.

Oh, if the dog is still (very) slightly damp, wrap in a fresh shammy, then a fresh bath towel (dog burrito), and park on a comfy chair or couch. Body heat soon dries the dog.

Comment

Original Poster

That’s great thanks Jarpur will keep that for crib notes, this is a new journey for me. The other day I just threw her in the bath and used the oatmeal shampoo that the JRT has. Rinsing....OH my, thought that would never run clear. Fortunately she is very happy to be handled, the only time she was worried was when I got the shower near her ears, but I was very careful not to let water get in them.

For now all we can do is brush the bits that can be brushed, and wait until she goes to the groomer to get me a blank sheet to start on, then I can work on maintaining. Now very glad that when we bought my old JRT a coat they were on buy one get one free, so she will be able to stay warm.

Comment

Thank you for picking her up and giving her a caring home. She looks like a Brussels Griffon to me or maybe a mix. TOOOOOO cute!

Comment

Original Poster

Originally posted by TKR View Post
                                        Thank you for picking her up and giving her a caring home. She looks like a Brussels Griffon to me or maybe a mix. TOOOOOO cute!
                                        I don’t know any Griffons, but somebody else who knows the breed sees that as well. Maybe I’ll try a DNA test one day, but wouldn’t be surprised if it came back Dalmatian or something crazy maybe they are more reliable than they used to be.

Comment

Working...
                                        X