Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

PSA Dogs and traps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA Dogs and traps

Just a PSA for everyone to educate themselves about traps and regulations in your area.

A dog was killed last week in my hometown by a body gripping trap. They were on a public trail, she was off leash and found a trap which was close to the trail, but was on private property. The owner called 911, but her 2yo lab died by the time anyone arrived. The police investigated and there was nothing illegal about the traps, and yes, the dog should have been on a leash. The trapper felt awful and removed the remaining traps.

In the county forest where I hike with my dog they are allowed off leash as long as they're under control. A small number of trappers were grandfathered in about 20 years ago when the county took over the land from the ministry, who knows how many still trap?

In Ontario there is no legal setback, and trappers don't need to put up signs, etc. Not to mention there are people out there who trap illegally.

If god forbid, anyone ever has a dog get caught in a trap, there are ways to get them out. You just need to know how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hF7H0bdFJdk

http://www.terrierman.com/traprelease.htm

Thank you for posting this. I am familiar with these kinds of traps but not how to release them. I'm surprised there would even be any hope at all so this seems to be important information.
    Power to the People

Comment

• Original Poster

Honestly I'm torn. A big part of me wants those traps to be as humane as possible, which essentially means an instant death. But of course that means that if the worst happened and a pet or a child got caught there would be no hope.
      I can't imagine being in the place of the woman in my hometown. She didn't know how to open the trap, and had to watch for several minutes while her dog died in front of her.

Comment

Traps need to be outlawed plain and simple.
        Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Oh god, that's terrible. What a nightmare. Thanks for sharing the release link, as we have trappers too, though not near me. I support hunting but have a very difficult time with trapping.

Comment

They're better then the leg hold traps for sure. They're difficult to set and work with so a lot of hunters don't like them. You can break your wrist trying to set one. But, again, they're more humane then leg hold traps.

Just another reminder that dogs should be on a leash, always. I know it's nice to let doggo have some freedom and romping and sniffy time but the world is a big, dangerous place for a loose dog.
            Power to the People

Comment

not only is it horrible for a dog to get caught in a trap - it is horrible for any living creature - so many pictures of hunters terrorizing these animals while they are struggling to get out of the leg hold trap - some chewing their paws off - many have babies in a den somewhere and their instinct to be with their young - the whole thing makes me sick.

Comment

I recently went fox hunting in our local game lands on a Sunday. There is a hunter that traps with leg holds in the game lands. They asked him to spring all the traps so we could hunt which he did. I was surprised to see he had one trap that was walking distance from the parking area in the middle of the tractor path where people with children or dogs on leashes could step in it. He had pulled back the leaves to spring it. I don't see how that is legal. This is state game lands and it is not restricted to just hunters. Also we are allowed to foxhunt there. What would happen if the hunt didn't know there were traps set for foxes. The hounds are not exactly on leash. It is a bit hard to fox hunt with 20+ hounds on leash. They don't stick to specific areas. What if the hunter forgot to spring one?
                I think they are cruel.
                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

how awful & heartbreaking
                  Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I hate trapping. Where I live there are about 95% public lands and 5% private. I can walk several blocks from my house and be in National Forest. Honestly, there is enough room here that someone can take their dog off leash in the wilderness and should not have to worry that they get caught in a snare or trap. The traps are so random and there isn't any reliable way to know where they are. I think I pay enough taxes and live here too that the berth of one of the FS roads or trails close to town should be trap free so that the dogs, kids, and people that walk off trail should be safe. Let the trappers go further out if they must.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
                      I recently went fox hunting in our local game lands on a Sunday. There is a hunter that traps with leg holds in the game lands. They asked him to spring all the traps so we could hunt which he did. I was surprised to see he had one trap that was walking distance from the parking area in the middle of the tractor path where people with children or dogs on leashes could step in it. He had pulled back the leaves to spring it. I don't see how that is legal. This is state game lands and it is not restricted to just hunters. Also we are allowed to foxhunt there. What would happen if the hunt didn't know there were traps set for foxes. The hounds are not exactly on leash. It is a bit hard to fox hunt with 20+ hounds on leash. They don't stick to specific areas. What if the hunter forgot to spring one?
                      I think they are cruel.
                      I just want to pop in and say, anyone who hacks or trailrides should watch the above video, and any other they can find, about release mechanisms in these traps, and also, how to spot them. I have seen traps on the trail as a rider, many illegal.. always best to turn home if you think for a second there is anything amiss...

I am with others, trapping is cruel. I can make my peace with hunting, but not trapping. How awful for that poor woman and her dog.
                      AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

My ex husband and I were going to visit his sister that lived out in the country. As we drove up her long driveway surrounded by trees we could hear her screaming. We jumped out of the car and found her standing over her little Benji dog, his head had been caught in a bear trap that someone had illegally set on her property. Mercifully he died soon after we got to him.

We had 300 acres and strangers would set traps on our property without permission. One of our coon hounds(Tub)went missing one day in the middle of the winter, which was very unlike him because all our hounds were trained to follow/patrol only the perimeter of the closest paddocks and fields and to return home. We went out looking for him for as long as we could before a big storm hit. The next morning he showed up at the door with a snare around his neck, he had chewed it off its stake and somehow survived the storm through the night.
                        Mean Girls grow up to be Mean Women

Comment

Trappers are trying to make a living doing the best they can. In order to trap ethically you have to check those traps every day. The further in the back woods you put them out, the longer those animals have to sit and wait for death. Body hold traps are designed to kill instantly, making them more humane, but as stated, risky and dangerous for the trappers to use and set.

Dogs need to stay on a leash. Shared use means SHARING. Fox hounds terrorize and rip their quarry apart. Getting caught in a body hold trap is vastly more humane a death then that. If we are going to bring up what's humane, and all.

Sure quality of life matters for dogs. So you're going have to weigh quality of life enrichment activities aka off leash time, with potential risk. I've decided off leash isn't worth the risk for my dog. He does other things to enrich his life, safer things. I think he's happy. I hope he is. I know I couldn't live with myself if he got hurt or killed being off leash. Because it would be 100% my fault.
                          Power to the People

Comment

Originally posted by Sswor View Post

Dogs need to stay on a leash. Shared use means SHARING. Fox hounds terrorize and rip their quarry apart. Getting caught in a body hold trap is vastly more humane a death then that. If we are going to bring up what's humane, and all.
                            Where do you come up with that crap? In the US it is extremely rare that the fox hounds catch the fox. The particular hunt I occasionally hunt with tell me the last time the hounds actually caught a fox was in 2003. That fox was very sick and mangy. Mange is an awful death. They basically starve to death or freeze to death. From everything that long time fox hunters in my area (SE PA) tell me it is extremely rare that the hounds will catch a fox and every time it is not a healthy fox. Fox hunters in the US do not want to catch the fox.

In the US the hounds follow the fox until it goes to ground. The hounds are called off and either go find another fox or the hunt calls it a day and heads in for a nice hunt breakfast. It it common to chase the same fox for many years in a row. If a particular fox doesn't want to play that day he goes to ground.

A few years ago I was fox hunting. The fox took a winding path down the wooded hill towards the field of riders. He was trotting along pretty comfortably not running. He got to the path in front of the horses, sat down, looked around. He then watched the hounds follow his scent down the hill. Scratched his ear, made eye contact with a few of the riders and trotted off. Even though the hounds were within sight of the fox they are not sight hounds and still followed the scent and his exact winding path. There was nothing stressed about this fox. He wasn't breathing heavy at all. The hounds were well behind him when he decided to stop, as in a few hundred yards away and out of sight over the hill. This fox was not terrorized

Most hunts will treat mangy foxes in their territory. The hunt I have gone out with will sometimes put out left over from deer hunting and from when one of the member has his cows butchered. They try to help keep the fox population healthy.

I would suggest you post over in the Hunting forum for more details about US foxhunting from those that have hunted longer and more regularly than me.

Please note that my understanding is that US foxhunting and UK foxhunting prior to the hunting ban have different traditions regarding killing the fox.

Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Comment

Trappers are trying to make a living doing the best they can. In order to trap ethically you have to check those traps every day. The further in the back woods you put them out, the longer those animals have to sit and wait for death. Body hold traps are designed to kill instantly, making them more humane, but as stated, risky and dangerous for the trappers to use and set.

Sure quality of life matters for dogs. So you're going have to weigh quality of life enrichment activities aka off leash time, with potential risk. I've decided off leash isn't worth the risk for my dog. He does other things to enrich his life, safer things. I think he's happy. I hope he is. I know I couldn't live with myself if he got hurt or killed being off leash. Because it would be 100% my fault.
                              There is NOTHING ethical about trapping.
                              PS- that's not how foxhunting works

Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Lol ok guys, the way you see the world is clearly right and everyone else is wrong. Thank goodness the internet exists so we could clear that up.
                                Power to the People

Comment

Lol ok guys, the way you see the world is clearly right and everyone else is wrong. Thank goodness the internet exists so we could clear that up.
                                  So have you ever foxhunted? Have you ever car followed? If not then you are basing your opinion on the internet.
                                  I have done both so have first-hand experience. If you done neither then you were totally relying on internet experience not firsthand experience. There are many of us on this board who has first-hand experience

Comment

Originally posted by SonnysMom View Post
                                    So have you ever foxhunted? Have you ever car followed? If not then you are basing your opinion on the internet.
                                    I have done both so have first-hand experience. If you done neither then you were totally relying on internet experience not firsthand experience. There are many of us on this board who has first-hand experience
                                    blah blah blah. have you ever trapped? hunted?

I grew up riding with the local hunt. not that it matters. this is a discussion board. we are having a discussion. this is not an expert advisory panel. god forbid someone have an opinion that you keep your dog on a leash and stop blaming the whole world for one's own indiscretions. sick of the blame game. take responsibility for your own animals if you profess to love them so much. its not hard.

live and let live. people make a living trapping. it doesnt matter if you love it or hate it. keep your dog on a leash.
                                    Power to the People

Comment

I keep my personal dogs on a leash. I have never hunted other than fox hunting.
                                      However I have friends that hunt. Deer in particular. One time a friend hit a deer through the chest and lung with an arrow. She ran off. It was just before dusk. As he was a responsible hunter he called up a bunch of friends and we came out and helped track her even though it was now dark. We finally found her. I chose to go back to the truck rather than be there when they finished her off. I am not opposed to hunting. However there is plenty of hunting with dogs where you can't have them on leash:
                                      beagles and rabbits
                                      fox hunting
                                      pointers and birds
                                      retrievers and waterfowl
                                      Any of these dogs can legitimately be loose in areas where a trapper could have a trap. Also you conveniently ignored that these are public lands. The trap I saw was in the middle of a walking path where somebody could be walking with a toddler or a young child they could be easily harmed by the trap.
                                      Since the trap was in the middle of the intersection of two paths a dog on leash could easily be a victim. It was obvious that the trap was normally covered with leaves so would not be visible to the dog handler.

so when you hunted with your local hunt how many years ago was that and did the hounds rip up any foxes? Was it a recognized hunt or a local farmers pack?

Comment

I said shared use is shared. Stop trying to demonize me just because we find ourselves at odds. No reason for that. Shared use is shared. Everyone should share the use of public land but the world is full of assholes, they have no corner market on any demographic. I thank the OP for the PSA.
                                        Power to the People

Comment

Working...
                                        X