Sport Horse Spotlight

Flamenco head 2 (web)_300DH

Real Estate Spotlight

BB2

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

For fun- share your favorite breed and why :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a GSD and Malinois person.. but I think, after working with them, my favorite breeds to train are spitz-types. I really like elkhounds.

I love Tamaskans. I had a Tamaskan cross after college, and he has been the most intelligent dog, by far -- not easy -- but a wonderful dog in a lot of ways. He made my smart GSDs look dull. Very clever. He was an awful puppy. He's turned into an incredible dog - he is 8 this year, and now lives with my parents after they PTS one of their Rhodesians.

Same thoughts re: "I love adore / I want to live with".

I love and adore all of the above, but their constant shedding / fur makes me not want to live with them.. I miss my GSD every day (pictured in my profile picture), but I don't see myself getting another. While I love the more intense dogs, I've fallen out of favor with the GSD's more modern type. I like Rhodesians, but they're not for everyone - and I would sometimes get frustrated with their lack of focus / intensity when it came to training..!

A good dog I will like, regardless of breed.. but for now, I only have cats.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Comment

Right now we are dogless. Our last GSD died two years ago, and we are still heartbroken.
      But my husband and I miss having a dog so much. We are just waiting for our next one to appear.
      Sara, our last GSD, was older when we got her from the rescue. She had been dumped at the pound. How anyone could have just dumped her like that was inexplicable. So sweet and kind and beautiful.
      Before her was our wonderful and precious, Breezy, who was, for us the best dog in the world. Smart, kind, loyal, protective, athletic and brave, she could do sheep herding, and knew hand signals, and did her best to herd the foals for me when I lead them to and from the pastures. She was my 'velcro' dog, never leaving my side, or my bedside.

GSDs are for me, the perfect dog - except for the endless shedding and the corresponding endless vacuuming!) - super intelligent, territorial, so trainable, loyal, protective and kind.
      And beautiful. Did I mention beautiful?

But we are open to getting another breed, perhaps something smaller who I can lift in and out of the truck. A neighbour had a NS Toller, and she was a lovely dog.
      Open to suggestions - we have a farm, no children.
      A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

[QUOTE=CWNSF;n10550797]MorganGal13 -
        Mukluk - can you tell me more about the bloodhound? Part of me wants to think they’d be like a Basset with longer legs but I’m sure there must be other differences.

Bloodhounds are super cool and you get a lot of attention from people when you have one. They can be big dogs- we've always had females which are a little smaller. Some Bloodhounds drool and a lot of people don't like that. We've never had one that was a problem drooler. With regard to activity they like to just hang out with you when indoors. When outdoors they get very active and love to run. They have a melodious bay (at least that's what I think). It is my understanding that the black and tans have more genetic variety than the red ones. They are totally bred to track scents and if they are on something they don't care about much else. All of ours were obedience trained- however, they are not like a GSD that way. Some of them love to swim. We had one that would get a running start and dive into the pool landing 12 feet from the deck! They are very loyal and people oriented and have the longest silkiest ears!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGMVsDEAXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reVrzy1KqmI

Comment

• Original Poster

Mukluk - thanks for the info! I grew up with big dogs (berners, St. Bernard, great pyranese) so size doesn’t bother me. My brother has been loosely (not very seriously) thinking about getting a bloodhound as he like my bassets but dislikes the wonky legs and orthopedic issues that tend to accompany them. My SIL has said no though- she loves their aussies and she doesn’t think she could handle the hound smell

Fred - I’m sorry to hear about your dog. Makes me think of a coworker and her husband who had a husky they absolutely adored. When the husky died, they swore off getting another dog but apparently my bringing my Bernese puppy in to the office for a visit the-ignited the want for another dog so the ended up adopting another husky from the local shelter. In my conversations with her, I get the impression that while they like the dog, they seem like they really just wanted a copy of their other husky, which this one is not. All that to say- wait until the right dog comes around

Comment

With the no rinse shampoos on the market now, I think it would not be too difficult to keep pup smelling fresh.

Comment

The constant shedding really sucks a little bit, owning GSD to me means, keeping this in mind when buying clothes or organizing furniture, floor materials and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
                Right now we are dogless. Our last GSD died two years ago, and we are still heartbroken.
                But my husband and I miss having a dog so much. We are just waiting for our next one to appear.
                Sara, our last GSD, was older when we got her from the rescue. She had been dumped at the pound. How anyone could have just dumped her like that was inexplicable. So sweet and kind and beautiful.
                Before her was our wonderful and precious, Breezy, who was, for us the best dog in the world. Smart, kind, loyal, protective, athletic and brave, she could do sheep herding, and knew hand signals, and did her best to herd the foals for me when I lead them to and from the pastures. She was my 'velcro' dog, never leaving my side, or my bedside.

GSDs are for me, the perfect dog - except for the endless shedding and the corresponding endless vacuuming!) - super intelligent, territorial, so trainable, loyal, protective and kind.
                And beautiful. Did I mention beautiful?

But we are open to getting another breed, perhaps something smaller who I can lift in and out of the truck. A neighbour had a NS Toller, and she was a lovely dog.
                Open to suggestions - we have a farm, no children.
                An Aussie might be a good choice for you. They are velcro dogs, very smart, easy to train, smaller than a GSD. Protective of farm and family. All of mine are snugglebugs. They love water: ponds, creeks, snow. They are not constant shedders, but they do have a spring and fall shedding time, depending on how dense their undercoat is. I have 4 dogs with a very light coat, and 2 with a heavy coat.

Unfortunately Aussies have become popular and so there are a lot of poorly bred Aussies that are hyper, nervous, and neurotic. So finding the right breeder is essential.

Comment

I had a bloodhound when I was a kid. I agree with the assessment above about their loyal and loving personality. Our poor old girl didn't get a break, though, because my mom was dog ignorant. Someone broke into our house one night while we were out. The dog was in the backyard, but he came through the side door, so she couldn't get to him. Her baying was ignored because she did that a lot (ignorant adults didn't walk her enough). The burglar stole undies from my mom and went through personal items. We suspected the neighbor teen, who was kind of weird. He was loosely friends with my brother and came over a few days later. The bloodhound cornered him and bayed (she was trying to tell us something). He tried to push her away and she put her mouth on him to hold him. Didn't even break the skin, but it was technically a bite. We kids figured it out the truth and defended her, but the adults ignored us. Poor dog went to the pound for quarantine and my mom allowed them to put her down. I still get mad about that. That was a good and honest dog doing her duty.

Comment

Sad story Moonlitoaks. Bloodhounds are so loving and gentle. Ours were always so much fun.

Comment

Border Collies - specifically Black and White ones - I'm really fussy . If I had to pick another breed - it would be a Labrador (either yellow or black).
                      Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

Comment

I’m a veterinarian; there are many dogs I enjoy seeing in practice but only one breed I want to live with: Labrador Retrievers. My current couch queen was best bred by at Potomac.

Comment

I haven’t contributed to this thread, but have so enjoyed reading all the responses.

My response is complicated.

The breed that has been the focus of my life for - it will be fifty years this May 5- is the Irish Wolfhound. To not have one, would be as if you had taken not just my right arm, but my soul.

But, I would caution any rational person not to acquire one, despite how wonderful they have been in my life.

They are known as the ultimate “heartbreak breed”. Their mean lifespan is only about seven years. Responsible breeders are trying to increase that with health testing and selection. I have had one that reached 11 years of age andquite a few that reached nine plus. Still, the ones you lose young, especially to bone cancer, are so tough.

And they don’t behave as most dogs do, they are different in some ways that are difficult to describe. They are giant sighthounds that have been bred to chase down and kill large prey that fought back- yet are on the surface so gentle and even lazy, so are certainly not suitable for most people to own.

They are extremely empathetic and unbelievably in tune with their people. I have had people tell me they have “gorilla eyes”- they are almost another level of consciousness.

When someone contacts me about one, I do my best to talk them out of it. They are ridiculously large, inconvenient, expensive to maintain, don’t act like regular dogs, etc. if the person is persistent, I invite them out, where they are greeted by hounds who look them in the eye and breathe on them while seated, and show them the massive holes they have dug and again try to dissuade them.

People either realize this is not quite what they had in mind, or as hopeless as most IW folk are.

But they are definitely not good “Farm dogs” or dogs you can rely upon to “stick around” on a farm, though of course there are exceptions- I e even heard of an IW who would herd sheep, there are those that have less of a prey drive than most have.

And to add- I have put Obedience titles on them, but it hasn’t been easy- I feel I have to work ten times as hard as other people. The Wolfhounds will do it, but more as a personal favor to you. It isn’t that they don’t want to please, they do- but it might be #23 on their list of priorities.

I have also also done tracking, Scentwork, and agility with them. Same thing, they will do it but you really need to make it worth their while and it takes more of an effort to convince them that it is.

i have thought for a couple of years that I might like to have an auxiliary dog of another breed that might actually enjoy and be a little more suited for these activities and it might take the “burden” off the Wolfhounds (who do love lure coursing- at least some of them do) so have been considering other breeds- so this thread has been useful for me.
                          Last edited by Houndhill; Jan. 9, 2020, 09:58 PM.

Comment

I had always just had mutts of different varieties then when I met my DH he wanted to get his first dog as an adult. We ended up with a yellow lab and oh my has she been the best dog. Never met such a truly sweet dog...not one mean bone in her body. Loved her so much when I lost my last ditch dog I got a charcoal Lab...and I have not been disappointed. She is the biggest clown and keeps me laughing all the time and is definitely my dog. Think I will always have a Luvador they are just so loyal and sweet!

Comment

Houndhill I have always admired Wolfhounds and I love reading your posts about them. A lot of sight hounds actually greatly appeal to me but at this point in my life do not come close to fitting in DH and I's lifestyle- maybe one day. But until then I'll live vicariously
                              Wouldst thou like the taste of butter ? A pretty dress? Wouldst thou like to live deliciously?

Comment

Corgi, corgis, corgis. They are so damn cute. Specifically pembrokes. I'd have 10 if I could. My husband would divorce me though. And sadly my current one is a female that isn't that great with other dogs (we do have a rescue mix dog at home as well). But I have had 2 at the same time previously.

Comment

Beagles. I don't think I've ever met a beag I didn't like, and my rescue beag is my soul dog. She's a couch potato diva who is mainly concerned with eating and snuggling in blanket nests. She's small and easy to feed, bathe, put in the car, carry around, etc. She sheds an average amount, but she's a small dog so compared to our previous dog (yellow Lab) her shedding doesn't seem so bad.

I wouldn't exactly call them easily trainable--my dog is a princess and sometimes just doesn't feel like listening, but she never does anything naughty, she just would rather not learn commands beyond "sit" and "treat" If I was looking for another dog, I would 100% be checking local beagle rescues because she is the best accidental dog we could've asked for. We were out shopping for a curling iron.....and ended up with a dog instead.

https://scontent.fagc1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...53&oe=5E9D7520

https://scontent.fagc1-2.fna.fbcdn.n...00&oe=5EA9B61E

Comment

Ahhhh! I think I love them all! My first dawg as a child was a mutt born down the street. She was a benji type, and my bff for only about 12 years. She kept all of my secrets, watched movies with me, slept with me and held my tears in her fur when I was upset.

My next was a rotti, as an adult, she was the best damn dawg! She had no idea what she was and thought of herself as a lap dawg. She was my daughter’s first pony, she was only a year older than her human sister. Sadly, my ex kept her after our divorce and even if I could have kept custody, I had no where or way to keep her. She eventually lived with his parents and lived to be about 11. When my daughter would visit her, she would call and hold the phone to Chevy’s ear...I’d tell her how much I loved my baby dawg, she always knew my voice and showed it on the other end with body and nubbin waggles! She had the best facial expressions, the cutest happy ears and smile! Ahhh, she was such a love!

My last few have been mixed Lhasas, that I either found or picked up from death row, they came with lots of baggage and ptsd. But that was fine by me as I have a bit of luggage as well. My current baby is a young, retired show Lhasa from lovely lines and a lovely home. He has zero baggage and is the sweetest, smartest little love bug! (His underbite grew to exceed the breed standard, lucky me!)

After losing my prehistoric lhasapoo a year ago, I really thought that I wanted a boxer. A close friend has several, the are such wiggle body, clowns and remind me so much of my rotti girl...happy ears and all...only smaller. But when I tried to imagine having a larger dawg in my small house...I just felt that I needed a smaller fur baby.

So my Lhasa is the much smaller, wiggle body, attitudinal (lhasatude!) clown that I needed! He’s just turned 2, and with any luck will be my partner in crime and fun for many, many years to come!

...there’s definitely a “type” in all of that...🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Originally posted by Mukluk View Post
                                      Sad story Moonlitoaks. Bloodhounds are so loving and gentle. Ours were always so much fun.
                                      Thank. We got her from a breeder and I remember when we picked her up (she was 18 months old) there was a boy, my age, looking out of the window with tears in his eyes. That boy and I ran into each other as adults serving on the same USN ship. I told him how great a dog she was, but I didn't have the heart to tell him about what happened. He said his family was still raising bloodhounds for the state police agencies. No wonder she was such a good dog.

Houndhill, I love big coursing dogs, like Wolfhounds and Scottish Deerhounds, but I couldn't take the heartbreak. Your description of them is lovely.

Corgis are fascinating dogs. So much dog, but short.

I'd own another Aussie Cattle Dog in a minute. Mine was a rescue and ended up with PRA, but she was so smart that she knew her farm even when she went blind. We would call her over if someone was visiting so she knew where they parked. Amazingly intelligent dog. She had a map of 36 acres in her head.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_1-BamPhoto_PVPark.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	10555561
                                        My favorite breed, and the only one I plan to own is the whippet. They are perfect for me: quiet, short-haired, mild-mannered, get along great with other dogs, athletic, healthy and fun to do a lot of dog activities with.

I have enjoyed them very much as pets, and have finished champions and a grand champion as a complete amateur to showing; they have earned multiple agility titles, easily earned their canine good citizen certifications, done lure coursing with great enthusiasm, and just live to be with me.

They aren't for everyone. I'm sure not everyone wants a mid-size canine stalker keeping track of them all the time and they can be a lot of work as puppies. They respond well to positive reinforcement and clicker training, but more traditional methods of training don't hold much appeal for them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190402_075646_All.jpg
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	10555562Click image for larger version

Name:	2019_12_29_Sonny.JPG
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	10555563

Comment

• We have had Weimaraners for the better part of 30 years now. As I type, our 12-year-old girl is sharing my oversized chair with me, head on my arm. The only thing that she wants in life is my lap. We also have a 3-year-old weim-lab cross who was rescued. She's got issues from before we got her, but that's not a breed thing.

Why do I love Weims? They are so loyal, so friendly, so intelligent. They will definitely test you every chance they get but also love you so intensely there aren't words. We bred a couple of litters, did the field and show thing. My first was so sweet but had horrible separation anxiety. I ended up getting her certified as a therapy dog and taking her to work with me. She loved having a job. Our male also saved my life. I was travelling with him alone and stopped at a rest area late at night. I took him into the restroom with me. When I came out there was a man coming into the women's restroom. Rion showed a side of himself that night I never knew existed and never saw again. I know, without a doubt, that things would have gone horribly wrong for me that night had he not protected me. Remembering that still makes my hair stand on end.

Over the years we've also had a Brittany (loved that silly, hyper boy) who was somewhat neurotic and a GSP we fostered for a bit.
                                          A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

Working...
                                          X