Sport Horse Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

Massey_web2

Sale Spotlight

COTH_without Subscribe
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You�re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it�details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums� policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it�s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users� profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses � Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it�s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who�s selling it, it doesn�t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions � Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services � Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products � While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements � Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be �bumped� excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues � Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators� discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you�d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user�s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Safe dog food?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just had to switch one of my dogs to a prescription Purina diet due to bladder stones. He was eating the Costco brand food which the rescue recommended and I had had my other dogs on it no problem. I talked to my vet about it and they have seen a significant number of cases at their office with DCM. Some times there are no signs of DCM till there is a significant issue. It is concerning and it's true that they don't know why the grain free foods are causing this. I am now going to switch my other dog over to Purina for now. If you search for dog food named by FDA heart disease, NBC news has a quick list of foods named that are suspected to be causing the DCM. I have it book marked on my phone for reference.
    Question for you raw/human grade food feeders - how do you know your dogs are getting all the correct minerals, vitamin, fat content etc? Is there a supplement you provide with the meals like a vitamin topper? Are you working with a nutritionist? Generally curious, not starting a debate. I want to be better informed in case I need to switch to that some time in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by PonyApocalypse19 View Post
      Question for you raw/human grade food feeders - how do you know your dogs are getting all the correct minerals, vitamin, fat content etc? Is there a supplement you provide with the meals like a vitamin topper? Are you working with a nutritionist? Generally curious, not starting a debate. I want to be better informed in case I need to switch to that some time in the future.
      I'm just going to offer this as food for thought:

-->How do you know your own body is getting all the correct minerals, vitamin, fat content etc?<--

Especially considering now they say that taking vitamin supplements contributes to heart disease in people. Oy vey.

Fat content is fairly well understood though. Feed the dog 85/15. They could eat more fat content but they say it can lead to aggression or irritability. Less fat and they'll get constipated as well as other issues with skin/coat. So 85/15 it is.

Vitamins/minerals--same as myself. Do my best to have a varied but balanced diet of healthy whole foods. Dog is same, and feed organ meats at 10% the diet when possible. That's where all the good stuff is. Heart, liver. Throw in some fish once in awhile. Variety.
      Power to the People

Comment

I just had to switch one of my dogs to a prescription Purina diet due to bladder stones. He was eating the Costco brand food which the rescue recommended and I had had my other dogs on it no problem. I talked to my vet about it and they have seen a significant number of cases at their office with DCM.
        I feed balanced Raw to NRC standards. Recipes by a nutritionist. I also have formulation software and am able to balance recipes if I need to.

~Run and Jump!~

Comment

At the risk of outing myself as lazy, I balance my dog's home made food (she gets 1/2 Sportdog kibble and 1/2 home made, usually) using https://secure.balanceit.com/recipeg...php?rotator=EZ and their supplement. Easy and my dog loves it.

Comment

I feed Answers Raw food. Expensive, but my dog is 6 lbs.

Comment

I include a probiotic/multivitamin to try to fill in any cracks. There is a nutritional analysis for protein and fat content on the packages of the food I use

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post

Sorry- I saw the Tufts and assumed study.
                Here is what I have a problem with - there isn't enough information known/available, etc and the general public has taken it and run rampant. I read a crazy argument on FB the other day with a woman who insisted that her cat had DCM because it was throwing up. And how all cats needed grains.
                With the Tufts commentary above this part is what screams I got paid " And raw and home-cooked diets increase your dog’s risk for many other health problems. So, forego the raw or home-cooked diets and stick with a commercial pet food made by a well-established manufacturer that contains common ingredients, including grains."
                Yes, but I'm on a breed-specific FB group and there are as many people that recommend a raw diet for any ailment or "condition" and usually instead of a vet visit....from epilepsy to laryngeal paralysis, to any type of allergy or skin issue. And what some people consider a complete raw diet is definitely not a complete diet.

If I were a vet, I would probably say the same -- unless you're working with someone that knows what they are doing, feeding a safe, commercial feed is the best choice. I also have a friend who is a bacteriologist - and her answer about raw diet is "heck no."

Same with horses. It was one of the first things my vet told me when I got my first horse (who was an emaciated rescue situation). He said "well, she's a horse. So feed good hay and you're 98% there. For the other 2%, feed a good, commercial feed." He went on to say - some horses need more/different feeds or supplements, etc., - but *most* do not.

Comment

I am a small breeder of Australian Shepherds. I have 6 currently. They range in age from 12 years to 3 months. My vet retired this year, so I went to a new practice, brought each dog in for his/her "healthy dog check up". The new vet couldn't believe that none of my dogs needed dentistry, none needed to loose weight, and commented on their coats and fitness.

"What brand of dog food are you feeding?" he asked.

"Raw and home cooked."

I could see the consternation in his face and then he looked at me and said, "it is not something I recommend to clients."

I know the reason he sells Royal Canin is because he doesn't know enough about raw or home cooked, and either doesn't have the time or the interest to try raw or home cooked with his own dogs. It's just easier to recommend kibble.

I don't think feeding raw or home cooked is difficult, but it does require mindfulness. I get most of my raw from Raw Feeding Miami and Hare Today because they offer a good blend of muscle, bone, fat, and organ meats in their grinds. My company makes meal toppers based on Ayurvedic principles of warming and cooling foods, so one topper is warming and the other is cooling.

I rotate proteins constantly, fortunately, none of my dogs have food allergies or sensitivities.

And Marshfield, if I lived within 60 miles of you, I would be a client!

Comment

I don't think feeding raw or home cooked is complicated, but should be done with some thought. I knew a guy that fed his dog cooked chicken breast. The end. She was also unspayed because he didn't think it was nice to take out "their lady parts" and she got pyo and nearly died. People aren't all brilliant.

We have a great alternative therapies vet in our area that works with people to design home prepared diets (raw and/or otherwise) and helps them design them if dogs have health issues. I think with a little effort it's very possible to feed a great diet to each dog; but without any guidance some people might struggle.

Comment

Definitely consult a veterinary nutritionist if/when you decide to transition to a raw or homecooked diet.
                      The average person has very little knowledge of their own diet, let alone the diet of their dog. Why do you think so many of our foods are fortified? Not to mention everyone is an individual. I eat a diet that is high in iron, but because I donate blood and am female, I would be anemic without an iron supplement. This is something that I'm aware of because they check when I donate, and because I get basic bloodwork done each year with my physical. I also have a minor in nutrition. Many humans in developed countries are walking around with subclinical deficiencies even though they eat a varied diet.

For humans and canines (and equines since this is a horse forum), it's important to remember that the ingredients aren't as important as the nutrients that they supply.

I think that many veterinarians and nutritionists are doing the safe and appropriate thing by recommending that most pet owners stick with a commercial food instead of going off on their own and feeding raw. Think about the people you know who own dogs. How many of them feed a grocery store brand of kibble, and handfuls of "Beggin Strips" and "Pupperoni" treats every day? Do you really think those owners could easily transition to an appropriate raw diet without help from a professional? I don't.

Personally, I prefer to stick with a commercial kibble for convenience. I supplement that with healthy treats, like fresh eggs from our chickens, or some of the organ meat and cuts that I don't enjoy from the wild game that SO shoots. My 6yo aussie x bernese does great on this. No dental issues, beautiful coat. We just got back from skijoring 4 miles and she isn't even tired.
                      With the money I save I can afford to do more activities with her.

Comment

For sake of argument, if someone eats Carnation instant breakfast, Oscar Myer, and Stoffer's dinner every day, no one would advocate that diet as healthy. It being fortified with vitamins and minerals does not make any difference. No doctor would rec' their patients eat that fortified, processed Stoffer's diet rather then fresh, whole foods because the average patient probably isn't with it enough to figure out how to balance their vitamins and minerals much less carbs, fiber, and proteins. Commercial pet food is highly, highly processed, exactly what doctors rec' against consuming in high quantities. Most pets consume nothing but.

Thought posed: If kibble is so perfectly balanced, why "supplement" a dog diet with fresh, human grade food? What's the point there?

These are honest questions I don't understand about the whole pet food thing. My instinct is these companies are just trying to sell a product and somehow we all decided we absolutely need that product in our lives and I wonder how that occurred. I mean, I know how it occurred, war, shortages, aluminum production, capitalism, et al, but I wonder how we pet owners decided almost as an entire cohesive unit to adopt their business plan into our every single day lives. Was it just Television--?

-But- modernization can contribute to a definite quality of life upgrade for those of us fortunate to enjoy it by birthright. Is it foolish to deny it just because we can? Is it the ultimate in first world privilege to feed our house pets as many likely do in the 3rd world? Way too deep for this thread, apologies.
                        Power to the People

Comment

After coughing up over $600 for a cardiac ultrasound for my DCM cat last year, I wonder how many people have dogs with heart issues that can't afford that kind of diagnostic and feed cheap, non-BEG food.
                          Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Originally posted by Sswor View Post
                            For sake of argument, if someone eats Carnation instant breakfast, Oscar Myer, and Stoffer's dinner every day, no one would advocate that diet as healthy. It being fortified with vitamins and minerals does not make any difference. No doctor would rec' their patients eat that fortified, processed Stoffer's diet rather then fresh, whole foods because the average patient probably isn't with it enough to figure out how to balance their vitamins and minerals much less carbs, fiber, and proteins. Commercial pet food is highly, highly processed, exactly what doctors rec' against consuming in high quantities. Most pets consume nothing but.

Thought posed: If kibble is so perfectly balanced, why "supplement" a dog diet with fresh, human grade food? What's the point there?

These are honest questions I don't understand about the whole pet food thing. My instinct is these companies are just trying to sell a product and somehow we all decided we absolutely need that product in our lives and I wonder how that occurred. I mean, I know how it occurred, war, shortages, aluminum production, capitalism, et al, but I wonder how we pet owners decided almost as an entire cohesive unit to adopt their business plan into our every single day lives. Was it just Television--?

-But- modernization can contribute to a definite quality of life upgrade for those of us fortunate to enjoy it by birthright. Is it foolish to deny it just because we can? Is it the ultimate in first world privilege to feed our house pets as many likely do in the 3rd world? Way too deep for this thread, apologies.
                            I don't personally think your observations and questions are too deep for this thread.

There is a good article on the history of dog food:
                            https://www.thefarmersdog.com/digest...rketing-story/

To me, kibble is akin to tv dinners, or I should say microwaveable meals. Easy, fast, relatively inexpensive, convenient. We can live on it, but it is not exactly "healthy".

One of my personal pet peeves with kibble is the marketing: that kibble helps keep your dog's teeth clean. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) 80% of dogs and 70% of cats show signs of periodontal disease by the age of 3 (2014).

Comment

Originally posted by WNT View Post
                              After coughing up over $600 for a cardiac ultrasound for my DCM cat last year, I wonder how many people have dogs with heart issues that can't afford that kind of diagnostic and feed cheap, non-BEG food.
                              That's an excellent point I haven't seen considered before.
                              Power to the People

Comment

But again - the DCM issue was identified by veterinarians seeing a change in prevalence of DCM. It's not being self-diagnosed by pet owners, especially since many dogs have heart damage and no symptoms. I'm sure most vets have (and always have had) a lot of client dogs that eat grocery store dog food. So what changed?

Comment

Fair question. The choice of the word "supplement" was poor on my part. But like I said, I feed things like eggs, and organ meat as healthy treats. Some variety. High value for training, etc. And these items are free to me, if SO and I don't eat it, and the dog doesn't eat it, than it would go in the trash.

I also acknowledge that AAFCO is only a minimum requirement, and since every dog is an individual they may use nutrients differently. But I do like that the food gets routinely tested to make sure that it is still meeting those nutrient requirements. I'm willing to bet that most people feeding raw or home cooked are assuming that by feeding a variety of sources at the proper ratio of meat/bone/organ they will meet those minimum requirements.
                                  However, using selenium as an example (since most horse people are familiar). I live in a selenium deficient area. So if I were to go to the local butcher, local farmers, or locally harvested wild game for all of my dogs meat it's likely that much of that meat will be deficient in selenium. So do I start pulling blood at regular intervals? Or start supplementing? Now how many other deficiencies might we encounter?

Just because a cut of meat is "human quality", doesn't mean it isn't deficient in something. Yes, feeding a variety reduces the risk of deficiencies. But if nothing is being tested than you really have no idea if the raw or homecooked diet that you're feeding is more or less complete than the commercial kibble that I'm feeding.

I don't equate kibble to a tv dinner. I equate it to a commercial grain for horses, or a meal replacement shake for people. They aren't all created equal. But they are convenient, often cheaper, and they are safer for those will very little knowledge of nutrition.
                                  And yes, the pet food companies are businesses trying to turn a profit. But that also includes The Honest Kitchen, Stella & Chewy's, etc.

I have nothing against a raw or homecooked diet if it's done properly. Consulting a veterinary nutritionist should be step one. Heaven knows most humans should be visiting a nutritionist as well.

Comment

But one actually has to observe that something is wrong with the dog and take it to see a vet to get it checked out to diagnose DCM. Vets can't diagnose a heart problem in a routine vacc appointment--if these types of owners are even getting their dogs vaccinated. Rabies vaccs are still given in Walmart parking lots at vacc drives in a lot of areas. These kinds of dogs usually live outside and just die quietly at home one day because no one really notices anything is wrong. Vets don't know a lot of these dogs even exist. They're not eating grain free foods. They're still eating Alpo and Ol Roy.

Mid grade owners don't get minor things checked out either. It's not that they don't care, just different priorities.

The kind of person who is going to bother to feed a grain-free food is a fairly concerned, aware, alert pet owner. The kind who has the extra money to spend on a vet check up beyond the basics, to get DCM diagnosed at all. I think that's a very good point.
                                    Power to the People

Comment

I can't argue with a single thing you said, GoodTimes. It's very easy to get overwhelmed when trying to decide what is the *best* thing to do for a beloved pet. It's a tremendous responsibility, really, to be completely responsible for the life of a separate thinking, feeling being. I don't know how parents do it.
                                      Power to the People

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                                        But again - the DCM issue was identified by veterinarians seeing a change in prevalence of DCM. It's not being self-diagnosed by pet owners, especially since many dogs have heart damage and no symptoms. I'm sure most vets have (and always have had) a lot of client dogs that eat grocery store dog food. So what changed?
                                        I'm still fairly skeptical that much has changed, and I'm not convinced that cases of DCM have actually increased. I think that diagnostics have simply improved and are more accessible.
                                        2D echocardiography has only been around in human medicine since the 70's, and my goodness the pictures were awful. Ultrasound of the heart has always been far more complicated because of the moving parts. It's only been in the last 20-30 years that the images have really been adequate.
                                        Now complicate that further in veterinary medicine by the lack of reference values, less funding, less accessibility, cost to pet owners, etc.

Guess what end stage DCM results in? Congestive heart failure. Fatigue, coughing, respiratory distress. But CHF can be caused by a number of things, so without extensive diagnostics and/or early intervention the vet simply diagnoses CHF.
                                        My theory is that many dogs, and cats were given a cause of death of CHF, actually had undiagnosed DCM.

Comment

But one actually has to observe that something is wrong with the dog and take it to see a vet to get it checked out to diagnose DCM. Vets can't diagnose a heart problem in a routine vacc appointment--if these types of owners are even getting their dogs vaccinated. Rabies vaccs are still given in Walmart parking lots at vacc drives in a lot of areas. These kinds of dogs usually live outside and just die quietly at home one day because no one really notices anything is wrong. Vets don't know a lot of these dogs even exist. They're not eating grain free foods. They're still eating Alpo and Ol Roy.

Mid grade owners don't get minor things checked out either. It's not that they don't care, just different priorities.

The kind of person who is going to bother to feed a grain-free food is a fairly concerned, aware, alert pet owner. The kind who has the extra money to spend on a vet check up beyond the basics, to get DCM diagnosed at all. I think that's a very good point.
                                          Vets started seeing young dogs with end stage heart disease. And the common link was diet.

Then people started bringing their dogs for testing and vets found dogs with no symptoms but heart damage. Even dogs that had previously tested normal by echo (I know one of these dog owners).

I am amazed that people seem to think this is a conspiracy theory by vets, or that hundreds of vets around the country are unable to think that differences in diagnostics might be the reason. You know, those poorly educated vets who have never read a study or conducted research.

But I'm glad you guys each have a theory. Me? I'll err on the side of caution with the vets.

Comment

Working...
                                          X