Stallion Spotlight

Fasino-12-16-07-175

Real Estate Spotlight

CR groom space
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

old cat issues - thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old cat issues - thoughts?

Female cat, 18+ years old, orig. owner declawed all 4 feet.
    Have had her 15+ yrs, always walked sort of funny, and was never the typical athletic cat. Persian type princess.
    Over last year, she slowly dropped weight. Started a calorie counting thing to get more food in her maybe 3 months or so ago and she's gained about a pound. Still more than a pound and 1/2 below her more youthful weight of 10-11 lbs
    Bloodwork fine in April.
    Started her on oral dose of gabapentin also in April timeframe, as she was very arthritic acting and not comfortable. This helped her noticeably.
    More recently - last couple weeks she has been vomiting in the early mornings almost every day. Liquid, orangy color. Not hairballs.
    I've read about something called bilious vomiting syndrome, but cat eats dry food overnight.

As I wait for the weekend to end so I can schedule a vet appt, any thoughts? possible delayed reaction to the gabapentin? How much testing does one do to see what else it could be? If there is another med recommended - how many meds do I want to keep putting in old cat? She already is not happy with the dosing syringe, lol.

Her kidneys could be failing. That's what happened to my 19 yo cat many years ago. I did fluid therapy for her. Learned to give them home. It kept her going for a year. Maybe try switching to wet food. Dry food is bad if it's a kidney problem.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by just shoot me View Post
      Her kidneys could be failing. That's what happened to my 19 yo cat many years ago. I did fluid therapy for her. Learned to give them home. It kept her going for a year. Maybe try switching to wet food. Dry food is bad if it's a kidney problem.
      Thanks for the input. Didn't occur to me that vomiting and kidney issues could be related... She actually eats wet food during the day and the dry is put out overnight. Its maybe 1/4 of her intake. Hoping its not kidneys; vet tried to teach us on a prior cat who had kidney issues and she pitched such a terrorist fit in the office that even he couldn't get it done. Drew blood on two people, knocked stuff onto the floor, etc. UGLY.

Comment

Giving sub cu fluids can be an enjoyable experience for the kitty. I warmed mine up to about 102, and the cats would purr as the warmth flowed around the belly.

Comment

Did your vet check a thyroid level in April? It could be a lot of things in a older kitty from kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, intestinal lymphoma, etc. I would consider running bloodwork again and a urinalysis to start with and going from there.
          "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world."
          -Dead Poets Society

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by MustangSavvy View Post
            Did your vet check a thyroid level in April? It could be a lot of things in a older kitty from kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, intestinal lymphoma, etc. I would consider running bloodwork again and a urinalysis to start with and going from there.
            Good suggestion re thyroid. Not sure, but will verify and or have it checked. The strange thing, maybe, is that she is acting perky - for her age - interactive and not hiding which she does do when not feeling well.

Comment

• Original Poster

So: vet appt. scheduled but in interim I have stopped the evening dose of the Gabapentin. And what do you know - there is no early morning vomiting. Fourth day. Her comfort level seems still good with only the one dose so I'm hoping we have the solution.

Comment

Gabapentin is processed renally. If her kidneys are failing (which is also my first thought for an old puking kitty ) she may not be clearing the gabapentin in a timely manner, and building up to slightly toxic levels. Nausea and vomiting are seen in gabapentin ODs (in people.)

That's one possibility, anyway. I hope the vet has favorable news for you. There's a new kidney test that could be worthwhile. SDMA detects kidney failure far earlier than looking at BUN and creatinine changes. Most vets are running a SDMA now, but you might ask about it. Good luck!

Comment

Thyroid or kidneys seems likely.

Comment

Working...
                  X