Stallion Spotlight

BushyGeneology copy

Real Estate Spotlight

528KerwinHill-003-HDRInternet
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Dog awake all night...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog awake all night...

(Probably) long post ahead:

9 yo (almost 10) lab. Live in rural area, large farm, no fence. Not a wanderer...but...one little cluster of neighbors in a retirement mobile home park about 1/4 mile away, close to my barn. One lady used to walk her beagle around the farm w/permission. Lab would go with her, come home when finished. People in little park know him, love him, inquire about him all the time, gentle with grandchildren, loved to sit and let toddlers rub and hang on him, etc.

People started leaving food for him. Asked not to. Do it anyway. So, of course, he started going over there to check out the offerings. My elderly mom lives with me, let’s him out during day while I’m at work, despite instructions not to. Lab, in typical lab fashion, is going to eat himself to death.

Recently erect fence in yard so Mom can turn Lab and Mutt Sister out during the day and they can’t leave (Mutt Sister is a homebody, no desire to leave home and visit...not a food motivated dog). He still walks to barn with me most days am & pm, is outside fence w/me when I’m doing stuff outside in the afternoon. We walk in opposite direction of retirement park when I get home for work to give opportunity for potty break, etc.

Problem: Lab will not sleep at night now (thus, neither do I). Restless, pants, whines, wants out. Put him out in fenced area, stands at gate and barks (near my bedroom). Take him out on leash to potty (will not use bathroom inside fenced area...has always gone in adjacent field or woods and apparently isn’t going to start doing so now), and all he wants to do is head towards retirement park.

To give more exercise during day, or at least keep him awake so he isn’t sleeping all day while I’m at work, have given him a Kong ball that dispenses dog food if he rolls it around. He likes that and plays with it and it does wake him up and give him activity during the day. Attempts to take him for walks or play fetch unsuccessful (very laid-back, large beast who just sits down and refuses to move if he doesn’t want to go for a walk). At vet’s direction, he’s taking melatonin and Benadryl in the evening (along with his regular Gabapentin and Tramadol—blew cruciate ligaments a few years ago, arthritis—another reason he isn’t fond of exercise).

Meds aren’t really working. Wide awake all night despite the sleepy meds. I don’t know how. Driving me crazy. I’m exhausted and can barely function during the day. Vet says let’s keep trying to break his pattern of former behavior, see how the adjustment goes. If he continues to stay up all night, can give another med. I don’t really want to sedate him, but I do really want to sleep.

So, ideas? Suggestions? Thanks for reading the novel.

"We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Is there anybody in the mobile home park that would do doggy day care for you? Let him spend the day (awake) with them?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HPFarmette View Post
      Is there anybody in the mobile home park that would do doggy day care for you? Let him spend the day (awake) with them?
      Nobody that I trust not to feed him! But that’s a good thought! Things have settled down a bit. We’ve experimented with the timing of his evening meds and a walk towards the retirement park with a turnaround before we get there. He has slept fairly well for three nights now. Fingers crossed...

Comment

I have a dog that has difficulty transitioning to nitey-nite. Wants to play fetch, brings a toy and tosses on my bed, etc. Started giving him a filled puzzle toy...granted you would have to do low cal treats...

Comment

One of my dogs started pacing at night when she got dementia. Her day and night rhythm became a problem. She 'parked' between furniture and did not find her way out. She started pacing at 3 in the morning and I woke up as soon as her little paws touched the ground. I was a zombie-doggy-mum for months.

If the dog is healthy, I'd try a 'night routine' with positive training for sleeping in an indoor crate.

Comment

Originally posted by Salo View Post
            One of my dogs started pacing at night when she got dementia. Her day and night rhythm became a problem. She 'parked' between furniture and did not find her way out. She started pacing at 3 in the morning and I woke up as soon as her little paws touched the ground. I was a zombie-doggy-mum for months.
            That's what I was going to suggest—at his age it's certainly a possibility. (Sort of the doggie version of "sundowner" issues with people who have Alzheimer's.) There's a medication that really helps—maybe your vet could determine if it's worth a trial.
            "Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Salo View Post

If the dog is healthy, I'd try a 'night routine' with positive training for sleeping in an indoor crate.
              He’s healthy. No symptoms of dementia. He just wants to go where he wants to go when he wants to go. He’s never been confined his whole life, so it’s a hard transition for him.

He was crate trained when he was he was a puppy, but I don’t have room for a crate in my house at this point in time. He requires a jumbo crate, and I don’t have a single place I could put it.

However, he has been sleeping better. I think he’s adjusting to his new routine. But, boy, has it been hard! Whew! I was about to lose my mind there for a while.

Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

Working...
              X