Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Dog training books?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog training books?

There's a new pup in the house, 6/7 months old. I haven't had a puppy since I was 9. Any must have dog training books I should be reading? I know I still had to train the dogs I got as adults, but even that was 10+ years ago, and they seemed to almost train themselves. I'm sure it wasn't that easy, but this puppy- I can definitely tell there's a difference. Breed? Good question. Maybe any combo of red heeler, JRT, boxer or bully type, or ????

I like this book for puppies. The general spirit of the training method is good, even if you can't do all she suggests: Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964151871..._LNZRCbY0S06CS

Comment

Originally posted by prudence View Post
      I like this book for puppies. The general spirit of the training method is good, even if you can't do all she suggests: Perfect Puppy in 7 Days: How to Start Your Puppy Off Right https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964151871..._LNZRCbY0S06CS
      Yes I like this book too.

Also look for anything by Patricia McConnell, PhD, she has a number of short books on specific issues, as well as more general books. She is an Animal Behaviorist and has very positive yet practical solutions to common problems.

It always seems I have to go back and review when I get a new puppy too! One forgets that your well behaved dog was once a puppy!

Comment

You know, a few days ago I went to a close-out store I had never seen before. It had all kinds of weird, unrelated crap in large bins, including books. I found a book, Beginning Family Dog Training (Second Edition) by Patricia B. McConnell, Ph.D.

Now, I am a dog training book wh*re. However, it has to be REALLY good for me to buy it. I flipped through this one and was amazed at how good it seems. Broken down into exercises and could be used to train for (serious) obedience training, I think. Good investment for $1.00.
        "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm reading the Perfect Puppy in 7 Days, and I'll look for the other title by McConnell. I have her booklet on separation anxiety. A friend also recommended Michael Job Evans. I also borrowed a two DVD set by Don Sullivan. Watch everything conflict-that's usually how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by cloudy18 View Post
            I'm reading the Perfect Puppy in 7 Days, and I'll look for the other title by McConnell. I have her booklet on separation anxiety. A friend also recommended Michael Job Evans. I also borrowed a two DVD set by Don Sullivan. Watch everything conflict-that's usually how it goes.
            Yes, definitely a conflict there! Job Michael Evans is definitely “Old School”, he used to recommend the “Alpha Rollover”, don’t know if he still does, but that is the “flavor.” * Don Sullivan looks to use “ecollars” quite a bit.*

The “Perfect Puppy” and Patricia McConnell are more positive reinforcement philosophies. You might want to read/watch everything. You can start with the positive methods and decide if you want to do the others after that, but it won’t work well to start with the others and then decide you would prefer to use the more positive ones, if that makes any sense.

I highly recommend Jean Donaldson’s “Two Cultures” if you are trying to think through what approach you would like to use. Also “Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs”. And “Don’t Shoot the Dog” by Karen Pryor, and McConnel’s “The Other End of the Leash”. These are more about philosophy or orientation than “How To” books, but will help give you a framework in which to think about these issues. Vicki Hearne has written some thought provoking books too, (although I don’t always agree with her) including “Adam’s Task” and “Animal Happiness”. She is a very good writer and her books are thought provoking.

*Sorry, I was not familiar with Don Sullivan- looks like his “Command Collar” which I had assumed was an ecollar is actually more like a plastic pinch collar. I’ll have to find out more about it.
            Last edited by Houndhill; Apr. 18, 2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

The Power of Positive Dog Training by Pat Miller.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Houndhill View Post

Yes, definitely a conflict there! Job Michael Evans is definitely “Old School”, he used to recommend the “Alpha Rollover”, don’t know if he still does, but that is the “flavor.” * Don Sullivan looks to use “ecollars” quite a bit.*

The “Perfect Puppy” and Patricia McConnell are more positive reinforcement philosophies. You might want to read/watch everything. You can start with the positive methods and decide if you want to do the others after that, but it won’t work well to start with the others and then decide you would prefer to use the more positive ones, if that makes any sense.

I highly recommend Jean Donaldson’s “Two Cultures” if you are trying to think through what approach you would like to use. Also “Bones Would Rain From the Sky: Deepening Our Relationships with Dogs”. And “Don’t Shoot the Dog” by Karen Pryor, and McConnel’s “The Other End of the Leash”. These are more about philosophy or orientation than “How To” books, but will help give you a framework in which to think about these issues. Vicki Hearne has written some thought provoking books too, (although I don’t always agree with her) including “Adam’s Task” and “Animal Happiness”. She is a very good writer and her books are thought provoking.

*Sorry, I was not familiar with Don Sullivan- looks like his “Command Collar” which I had assumed was an ecollar is actually more like a plastic pinch collar. I’ll have to find out more about it.
                Thanks! I was getting the idea that these are conflicting just in talking to the friend that recommended Evans, and having her give me advice. I prefer the positive reinforcement philosophy, not that I'm against using other methods sparingly. I might read Evans just for comparison/entertainment, but there will be no alpha rolls going on.😁

I'm going to check out everyone's suggestions. Mazie is doing really well so far. Our biggest task right now is socialization with other dogs and not lungeing when excited about dogs, cars. There's already been improvement though.

Comment

Not a book, but something I've found really helpful is Dr. Karen Overall's Protocol for Relaxation - it's basically a list of exercises that you work through with your dog and it teaches them to relax in the face of everyday exciting/stimulating things. I like it because it's pretty simple and well structured so it's easy to see where you are at any point in time, and you can always go back and revisit more challenging pieces.
                  Link here: https://belleplainevet.com/links/behavioral-protocols/
                  I recommend reading the first two - B-1 Protocol for Deference gives you the foundation work for the second piece - B-2, the Protocol for Relaxation.
                  After that, you're getting into more specific training stuff, which you may or may not need.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll check that out for sure, bdj!

Comment

Working...
                    X