• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Falling off of a Western saddle worse than English fall?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Until last weekend I would have said I have come out of both and it didn't really make a difference. However, last weekend I was trying a horse and rode in a cutting saddle. The horse stumbled and went to her knees, and floundered trying to keep from going all the way down. I hit my pubic bone on that horn, and I can't believe how wrecked I am. I pulled muscles in my butt, and severely bruised my pubic bone and thigh. I am gobsmacked with how much damage I did without coming off or even coming down on the horn. Although I don't think anything is broken as I am able to walk and move, I will need to give some thought to riding in a saddle with a horn again.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

Cutting and barrel racing saddles have pretty aggressive horns!

I like a lowboy saddle horn.
      “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

im an english rider that occasionally rides gymkhana. i had a horse in training go bronc a few months back and managed to land my shin on the saddle horn while coming off. swelled up the size of a baseball for days

Comment

I was in an english saddle when my horse fell. I lurched forward, but then bounced out of the stirrups to the side and did my best to roll away as she rolled on her side toward me. We were both completely fine and I rode home. Another time, she stopped so quickly that I came off, did a summersault on one side of her neck, and landed on my feet next to her, holding the reins (that was strange!). Maybe in a western saddle I wouldn't have come off on that one (?). At any rate, my exits from english saddles have been easy. I did come off a western saddle without any problems, but that was one of my first few rides.

Comment

Originally posted by RuBee View Post
            I was in an english saddle when my horse fell. I lurched forward, but then bounced out of the stirrups to the side and did my best to roll away as she rolled on her side toward me.
            I managed to get my foot jammed all the way through an english stirrup when my horse slipped and crashed on her side. Thank goodness for my helmet and for soft muddy ground. And for a sensible lesson horse who stayed down whilst I yanked my foot back through the stirrup iron (I had on tall boots, so it wasn't due to lack of proper footwear).

I've also gotten bruised from a stirrup bar on a dressage saddle just from sitting a BIG spook. So even the English saddles can dent you.

I have yet to get unloaded in a Western saddle, but I have caught my bra on the horn.

Funnily enough, I discussed this very subject with the horse masseuse today. She's of the opinion that while it's easier to ride out a bucking session in a Western saddle, you definitely get more bruised in the process!

Comment

I recently had a horse go over with me. I usually ride in an English saddle, but I was western on this one. Between the bulky stirrup and the high back of the saddle, I got caught up and wound up breaking my leg. The saddle was obviously not the only factor in the accident, but I feel as though I would have fallen clear had I been in my usual AP saddle (and my quick-release stirrups probably would have saved my leg).

Comment

I had a fall (and the horse too) in a western saddle on a horse I was trying for sale. The horse went down pretty fast on a slippery corner of the ring (umm, yes I WAS kicking it forward thru the corner since it kept wanting to stop at the gate there. I did not know there was wet clay underneath. Down we went and I was unable to kick out of the stirrups fast enough,so leg-stirrup and horse crunch. Broke my left leg above the ankle in two places.
                After the little birds and stars cleared my head, the trainer shopping with me and I agreed that wasn't a great way to finish the school on that horse, so the owner boosted me back on from the right side and I cantered around that corner a couple times and stopped to gingerly slide off onto my good leg.
                We negotiated a price for the horse then headed off to emergency to verify I was right about my leg.. tight laced paddock boot kept everything in place very well.

Stuff happens, having more or less saddle surrounding you, doesn't matter that much,imo just depends if you have the time and the wits to get clear when you want to.

Comment

So, maybe the snap front Western shirts are for safety - quick release if hung up on saddle horn? And, maybe the giant belt buckle acts as protective armour against the saddle horn?

I guess "safety" breakaway bras are needed, no?

A young lady w/ an extensive Western (barrel racing) background did tell me that she would never ride in a loose / not tucked in shirt, because she witnessed somebody almost get hung by a shirt caught on the saddle horn.
                  Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

I almost got hung by my vest off the horn, way off by myself in the mountains. Muddy boots, slipped in the stirrup when I was getting on and bloop, the vest went right over the horn. I just barely had my toes on the ground and managed to kick a rock where I could stand on it just enough. Dang $8 walmart vest wouldn't give an ounce; my horse was awfully good about it. I was just getting ready to undo the cinch on my saddle to slide it over when I got that rock in order.

That saddle had a big old doinky horn; I've sold it since. I really don't like those straight up horns, nice little lowboy is just fine.
                    “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Originally posted by ldaziens View Post
                      And, maybe the giant belt buckle acts as protective armour against the saddle horn?
                      Um, no. Can contribute to bruising in certain circumstances. And more fatal injuries if your horse lands on you, as in the case of the late Malcom Baldridge (Sec of Commerce in the Reagan years and also a foxhunter and roper).

Comment

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                        Um, no. Can contribute to bruising in certain circumstances. And more fatal injuries if your horse lands on you, as in the case of the late Malcom Baldridge (Sec of Commerce in the Reagan years and also a foxhunter and roper).
                        Pretty sure it was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by Beverley View Post
                          Beverly, I just read the LA Times story on his death That was AWFUL.

I was 1/2 joking & 1/2 wondering about the buckles, and the Malcolm Baldridge story answered that question for me:

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-...lcolm-baldrige
                          Disclaimer: Just a beginner who knows nothing about nothing

Comment

I always seem to rip my pants when i fall out of a western saddle. Hmph.

Comment

I feel like I can feel what is going on with the horse more when I’m riding English than western and therefore better able to anticipate what is coming next -my legs just naturally cling to the horse more when it starts to go down lol .i rode English as a child though and I think it might have something to do with that -I ride my husbands green mare a lot and I always wonder which saddle will be less likely to see my unplanned exit but as of yet I ride English - just no replacing that feel of the horse under me instead of unforgiving leather

Comment

Zombie thread from 2013.....

But I'll add anyway:

(1) The ground feels the same, whether you fell out of an English or Western saddle.

(2) You are going to have serious damage done to your body if you have a horse fall on you, whether the horse is wearing an English or Western saddle.

(3) I would rather have bruising on my thigh from a swell or saddle horn (that kept me in the saddle) rather than a bruised body from flying out of an English saddle and hitting the ground. IMO
                                It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

I see I need to update my post from 2013. I've now managed to be seriously injured (defined by me as requiring a hospital visit and recovery time off) three times: once bareback, once from an English saddle, and once from a western saddle. And each was from a different horse/mule. So the only common factor here is me.
                                  "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                                  that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

Zombie thread but a good one!

I've been hurt the two times I've come off in a western saddle by the dang saddle. Geez there's so much crap to scrape on or get hung up with. And then you've got to deal with the pain from hitting the dirt. I've been dumped, probably three times, in an English saddle and it was quick and clean. Now you're in the saddle and now you're on the ground.

And I can stick better in an English saddle, I think because I'm not only feeling the horse more but, I'm riding better - balanced better. Not a fan of clunky western saddles, especially when lifting the wretched thing up onto my 17h boy.
                                    Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Working...
                                    X