• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The purpose of western dressage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get it. When I was a kid I did everything... hunter type shows, schooling events, and also some western. One of the things that attracted me to dressage was that it was organized. There was a standardized system in place, scores for each movement, a scoresheet with explanations. The western classes I rode in were not only boring but it wasn't always very clear why entries were pinned the way they were. The idea that you were competing against a standard and not just against the other people in your class was wonderful to me.

Plus, western 'pleasure' has become so bastardized with the crippled peanut rollers, ugh. I can totally understand why western riders would be super interested in doing the dressage classes. It makes the focus about the harmony, training, working towards a standard, etc., and not about bling, politics or extreme kinds of riding.

Comment

Originally posted by VCT View Post
      Can I go enter Western Equitation/Pleasure/Whatever classes in my english tack and attire??? How about Reining? Don't need a horse for that.... No? Well then, I guess you do get the point the others are trying to make. If you want to participate in a discipline then do it. If you don't, then do Western Dressage. But seriously, to complain that the sport isn't going to completely change to accommodate your wishes.... is just silly.
      This

Those whose point is that WD exists because dressage won't let them ride in whatever tack and attire they wish have no point at all.

Comment

It isn't about attire. It's about method and longevity. The method works no matter what kind of tack is on the horse. It also results in horses who can continue to work hard well into their 20s. Like workouts in a gym help all athletes no matter what their specific skill set, good dressage provides control of balance that allows specific skill development. If the method can be used under western tack, the horse can be tested to see if the goals of the training have been accomplished under western tack. If the horse has another job that requires western tack, why should he be tested in other tack? Driving horses don't have to go under saddle for their dressage test.

Comment

Originally posted by longride1 View Post
          It isn't about attire. It's about method and longevity.
          One can physically do sorting, penning, WP, western trail, and just about anything that is done in a western saddle (except roping) in english tack provided the horse has been trained for the job.

But none (almost none) of those events permit the use of english tack or english riding attire. So it is about the clothing and the "uniform".

The method works no matter what kind of tack is on the horse.
          So then throw on a cheap dressage saddle and let er rip.

Driving horses don't have to go under saddle for their dressage test.
          That's because they are not ridden.....non sequitur.

So no, I don't see any reason for dressage to flex to the whims of people from outside the sport.

Comment

gaitedincali - Where is this series? Is it USEF rated? I'm in SoCal and can't find a thing for shows down here (clinics this year, yes) - last year, one rated show that was at Friesian Nationals.

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
              Yes. But it looks faster and physically riskier than the usual Western Dressage riders I imagine would like.
              Does anyone know what "the usual Western Dressage riders would like" yet? Not in my area, anyway....

I think the answer is simple - people want it. There are a lot of accomplished western riders out there who probably don't want to ride "traditional" dressage for many reasons -- breed type, attire, having to buy/change tack, not wanting to hang out with traditional dressage riders...

I can appreciate all of that. I would love to see western dressage offered at local shows in addition to (or in place of) the trail courses that are often offered. I think it would be especially great for kids to focus on correct riding and getting a score when riding by themselves (rather than in the pleasure or equitation ring). It gives all riders another chance to find the type of competition that suits their skills and those of their horse - and measurable ways to improve their riding.

I'd love to see 4H shows offer dressage (western and english) at 4H shows instead of trail courses. What a great learning experience for young riders.

Comment

Psst, you can rope from an English saddle, you just have to be very handy with the horse and rope so as not to let the calf hit the end of the rope hard.
                Work it like a fish on a line and try to drive it to a trailer, pickup bumper, tree or fence post.

Comment

caballero, I don't understand your comments at all. First, "I like the goals and principles of dressage but I want to ride in a western saddle and wear western clothes" is a perfectly legitimate reason to choose to do western dressage.Why the h*ll else would anyone want to do western dressage?

Second, your comment that you "don't see any reason for dressage to flex to the whims of people from outside the sport" suggests that you are ignoring everything the vast majority of people have posted about doing western dressage. I've read all the discussions and I have seen no more than 2 or 3 people (and mostly just one person) say that they want to go to a regular dressage competition and compete head-to-head with the folks riding in dressage saddles wearing breeches, tall boots, and black coats. The overwhelming majority of people interested in western dressage have no interest in doing that. They are looking for an entirely separate activity that embraces the fundamental principles of dressage but is tailored to the western rider.
                  "Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything
                  that's even remotely true."

Homer Simpson

Comment

I believe a good thread that answers the question as to why western dressage even exists is the one comparing engilsh and western methods of riding. Why get frustrated trying to ride *dressage* on a horse that won't be capable of "doing well" at *Dressage* and dealing with (I'm sorry, it's pretty blatant with a few people here) attitude, when one can have a well trained western horse doing Western Dressage, without the "attitude"? And have fun, and compete and have a niche. "You go Uruguay, I'll go mine" (Groucho Marx)

Comment

There's a WDAA competition at the IFSHA in Lexington VA October 2-6. I'm going to try to show. I can make the 6th schedule-wise. It's a matter of getting there. That's a goal this year.

http://www.westerndressageassociation.org/

Paula
                      He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by CA ASB View Post
                        gaitedincali - Where is this series? Is it USEF rated? I'm in SoCal and can't find a thing for shows down here (clinics this year, yes) - last year, one rated show that was at Friesian Nationals.
                        It doesn't look like it's rated.

Info here- http://www.pepperglen.com/westerndressage.html

Comment

Driving horses don't compete against under saddle horses in dressage classes. They have their own classes/competitions.... so do the western riders now. Don't see a problem.
                          2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

To clarify I think the Western Dressage thing is cool. I may even try it - I recently bought a western saddle! I also think gaited dressage is cool. Basically anything that is a fun activity that allows people to have a good time while practicing good training, riding and horsemanship is great. I don't think that the rules for "regular" dressage need to change.

For what it's worth I've had a number of people come to my barn to ride english because they said the western show world was extremely snobby. I was shocked to hear it, but to be honest, after looking at what the clothes and the tack costs, I'm not surprised. You can be on a budget in the english show world and still present pretty much the same picture as anyone else. Not so in the western world.

There are lots of perspectives, thats for sure. I don't think black boots, a dark coat, and plain tack is "frou frou" for example. To me it looks understated and classic - it's about showing off the horse. I think all the leather tooling and "bling" in the western world looks really gaudy and tacky. But obviously a few people on this thread feel the opposite. Well, now you have dressage classes where you can use the tack you like...

Western Dressage exists because there was a market for it - people who are more comfortable in western tack or enjoy the glitz of it or don't feel comfortable in english tack but who didn't want to compete in the available western sports. Nothing wrong with that. It's still no reason to change the sport of Dressage itself.
                            2016 RRP Makeover Competitor www.EnviousBid.com

Comment

Having been in WD, the tack requirement there is FAR from WP. It is very understated. I am, by far, the dressiest person when I ride WD when my shirt and chaps match. And that is because that is who I am - I think it shows respect for the judge and the competition. That said, I've seen chinks, jeans with no chaps, and plain shirts. Work saddles, too.

Comment

Indeed. The rules say there's no bonus for bling. I'm not into riding bling much, heck even seriously deep conversations about turnout make me think I'm in the wrong line of play. I find the attire for WD appealing because it's pretty much every day stuff; jeans (or skirt depending on what you're riding), shirt, working saddle (CA ASB has that right), boots (thing with heel) and a helmet.

Paula
                                He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Comment

Originally posted by S1969 View Post
                                  I'd love to see 4H shows offer dressage (western and english) at 4H shows instead of trail courses. What a great learning experience for young riders.
                                  I grew up in IL and went through the 4-H program. It was, and still is, offered at the state show. The individual counties are responsible for the format and classes at their own shows. I can't speak for the counties in the Chicago and St. Louis areas (where hunters and dressage have a strong foothold), but it wasn't something popular in my very rural region. Also, it would have required hiring another judge who was qualified, and that unfortunately isn't in the budget for many county 4-H programs.

Comment

In the 80's when I was being taught it, it was to put a solid foundation on a western horse.

Comment

What I don't understand (as someone who started out western and switched over to dressage and hunters) is what is expected in terms of connection in WD.

When I learned to train Western Pleasure, the goal was to get the horse to move from the seat, eventually with no bit contact whatsoever. How does that jibe with actual dressage where connection is something that is sought?
                                      co-author of
                                      Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry
                                      www.duelforthecrown.com

Comment

Originally posted by SportArab View Post
                                        What I don't understand (as someone who started out western and switched over to dressage and hunters) is what is expected in terms of connection in WD.

When I learned to train Western Pleasure, the goal was to get the horse to move from the seat, eventually with no bit contact whatsoever. How does that jibe with actual dressage where connection is something that is sought?
                                        Maybe western dressage is not based on western pleasure requirements?

Comment

It's not. There is connection/contact with WD, just as their is impulsion and forward gaits. WD is not WP. It is fundamentally similar to traditional dressage, with western horse gaits in mind. The connection may be lighter than in TD, but the contact is still there (or at least it should be!).

Comment

Working...
                                          X