Sport Horse Spotlight

8ISF-5732

Real Estate Spotlight

1539 Hatchaway Bridge Road 100

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Showmanship and how to hold your arms

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showmanship and how to hold your arms

Just getting back into the showmanship world and have noticed how we hold our arms has changed. I showed a few years ago where one arm went in front of you and the other held out with the lead rope and I see now both arms are bent at the elbow but straight out. I was wondering if the old way now in void or frowned upon at shows and what was the reason for the change? Just want to make sure I do everything right.

Arms up and level like you are holding a tray with both hands.
    The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Comment

I was taught to hold your arms like you’re holding a platter of steaks!

Comment

Left arm has elbow at the side and elbow bent about 90 degrees. Thumb up. Right arm is same basic position but is more dynamic and degree of bend in the elbow depends on horse height. I’m 5’3” and I’ve always shown 16hh plus horses in the class. Because of the height difference that right elbow has a more drastic bend than the left in order to keep my hand next to the face where the chain comes out. Also the right elbow will be a bit in front of the body and soft, changing positions with the horses maneuvers. I’m attaching a photo of me (it is released from photographer) to try and demonstrate

Comment

• Original Poster

thanks everyone!! Does anyone know why there was a change? I had my first show back a month ago and training my body to hold my hands this way was surprisingly hard! I'll keep at it though. Also is there a certain way to hold the lead rope?

Comment

Not sure why it changed but as far as how you should hold the lead, I’ve always been taught to have your right hand holding the leather right before it meets the chain, and have the excess leather in one large loop in your left hand

Comment

Working...
            X