Sport Horse Spotlight

Total Hope-11-18-09-3662

Real Estate Spotlight

97 Spring Lane (1)

Sale Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American paint halter horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American paint halter horse?

I met an amazing halter horse two years ago. Her name is Kallie and I have got an amazing bond with her. I am currently working on liberty work as well as some under saddle manners (western). I am not new to being around horses (Arabians, QH’s, OTTTB) but never heard of a halter horse. I have always done trail riding with friends. I’m now 33 and ready to buy my girl Kallie but I am worried about all I am reading concerning halter horses. She has a tuff trot and canter. But now seeing that I can possibly be hurting her by riding her I’m scared. She’s a friends horse now who decided to breed her until I saved enough to buy her. Help! I don’t want to show, she will strictly be a pleasure horse. She seems to get excited when we work barrel patterns. She’s amazing with my kids and so kind.

shes 6yrs old Paint halter horse. Her registered name is Sheez Approved. That’s all I know for now.

What is your question exactly? Are you worried that your horse has such poor conformation that she will break down under light recreational riding? Or does she have pre existing injuries?

If you would like a conformation evaluatuion we need better photos. We need a good stood up side view straight on. And close ups of the hooves and pasterns.

The only thing I see here is straight post legs behind. But I can't see her proportions that we'll.

Who has told you this particular horse is not sound to ride? If you have access to a knowledgeable trainer or even a vet you could ask about the conformation aspects that are worrying you.

It is true that some halter horses have bad conformation and that many aren't bred for performance, but people certainly do ride many horses from halter bloodlines.

Comment

Has she had a DNA panel pulled for genetic diseases? Only buy her if it's clear. Does she go back to Impressive? Even if she does not, you still want the panel.

Comment

Are you sure that is her APHA registered name?

It won't come up for me in the APHA web site.

Always double check any horse you want to buy that is supposed to be registered.
        Get a copy off the certificate and yes, any horse that may ever be bred, get them tested for any genetic diseases.
        Don't want the heartache of breeding her and then have a dead or sick foal or one that may get sick later.
        These are the main diseases breeders test for in AQHA:

https://springhillequine.com/the-5-p...-registration/

APHA also has a couple more for color diseases.

Those are not conformation pictures, so can't really tell what your concern is with her as a riding horse.
        Generally show halter horses are really big, beefy ones.
        The problem with some extremes of that is that the rest of them, the bones, joints and feet, are not always up to handling that much "beefiness" without problems showing up.

Comment

I found the genetic testing recommendations for APHA breeding stock:

reminder-6-panel-genetic-health-test-required-for-all-breeding-stallions

Reputable breeders today test all, mares and stallions, so they know to avoid any problems.

Since you say she has a wonderful disposition, that is worth so much.
          No matter what papers she has or doesn't has would not matter as a pleasure riding horse and to enjoy as a companion.

Comment

My friend rides and shows a gelding that was only shown as a halter horse. He'd never been ridden, but had lovely ground manners in addition to being beautiful, so they took a chance. First thing was a serious diet, and about 150 pounds later he was under saddle. She has had great success showing him at breed shows, and he usually wins the Performance Halter classes (for horses shown under saddle, not just in a halter division). Because he was started under saddle later than most, he was a little bit resistant to having a job, but he came around.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you! My concern was that she shouldn’t be ridden. I was at her vet check when she had her blood work done and she is clear and healthy and sound. According to the vet. Farrier said her feet look great. I guess reading about halter horses scared me. I’m going to the ranch today and will try to take better photos of her. I’ll also ask for her registration info again. She’s due to goal in March and the agreement was that after the goal had weaned I will be purchasing here if I want to still. When she was abandoned at my friends ranch by a boarder she was so emaciated, literally skin and bones and was nursing a foal. She has come back beautifully and it’s amazing she can still love and trust.

Comment

• Original Poster

Here are some photos from the ad they use to have of her and I obtained a copy of her registration. These photos were taken a little over a year ago.

Comment

I can't read the pedigree.

Curious how tall she is, as she looks almost small pony sized next to the guy with the yellow-green shirt.
                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now). Spy is gone. April 15, 1982 to Jan 10, 2019.

Comment

• Original Poster

Janet she’s 15.4hh. The guy is really big lol every but his 17hh mare is small compared to him.

Comment

Please don't tell Rosie that as an APHA halter-bred horse she shouldn't have been ridden all her life. The Evil Princess would not be happy to hear that she could have had a life of leisure (more than she's already enjoyed, anyway)!

Bought her as a six-month-old weanling in a haze of grief after losing my TB to an E coli infection. She'll be 20 on January 3 and never had a lame day in her life, and we've done plenty of jumping (low heights, but she's a tubby 14.3 hands and I'm nearly 5'9" and look ridiculous on her), as well as lots of hacking and general screwing-around!

"Dogs give and give and give. Cats are the gift that keeps on grifting." —Bradley Trevor Greive

Comment

• Original Poster

Oh that is such great news, I don’t believe my kallie is very stocky, she sure is pretty when she runs and after she works out. I was just Got scared when I read that halter horses shouldn’t be ridden! 😳

Comment

I too can't read the paper, is very blurry.

I think the vet would have said something if her pasterns in front are a tad long, as they could be, for what little it shows.
                          Should not be a concern for light riding anyway, but it may be for breeding if that was so.

I too think that she may not be very tall, but pictures sure can be deceiving.

There is no such thing as a 15.4 hand horse, that may have been a misprint.
                          Horses are measured by hands, a hand being 4", so a 15.4 hands horse would really be a 16 hand horse.
                          I expect your vet has a measuring stick, use it next time you are there if you want to be sure of her height, not that it matters for a riding horse.

Halter horses tend to be very pretty and her color is sure bright and shiny

Comment

Originally posted by Tiffers2019 View Post
                            Oh that is such great news, I don’t believe my kallie is very stocky, she sure is pretty when she runs and after she works out. I was just Got scared when I read that halter horses shouldn’t be ridden! 😳
                            That is a misunderstanding of halter horses.

You look at the horse in front of you. If the horse is so misshapen it does not have good functional conformation then don't ride it. If the confirmation is ok then you can ride it. I see no red flags in your photos of your mare.

You might find a book like Deb Bennet's book on conformation helpful in thinking about how conformation and function connect.

Comment

I know several halter horses that are being ridden and performing. There is also Performance Halter for performance horses that have earned sufficient points in other AQHA classes (assuming something similar exists for APHA).

Comment

Where did you read that Halter horses shouldn’t be ridden? The internet? Lots of self styled “experts” spouting pronouncements on things they have no actual experience with or just repeating what they read someplace else online.

Ive shown horses in Halter and ridden them with no issues. Do think you need to get a look at this mares registration papers if she is supposed to be registered APHA since the poster above could not find her in the registry. Could she be Breeding Stock? That's for horses with no spots but Paint lineage.
                                When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

https://www.allbreedpedigree.com/shez+approved2

I think this is her?

Comment

Her registered name is "Shez Approved"; at least I assume, since that would match - a 2013 solid mare.

Looking at APHA's records - her sire goes back to Impressive, but is listed as N/N so you should be in the clear unless the dam side has issues. My bigger concern is that her sire is N/PSSM1. (https://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine...sease/PSSM.asp)

PSSM is autosomal dominant, which means that carriers are affected. If that gene was passed down to her, I would pass so quickly it'd make your head spin. PSSM doesn't always show up immediately, it can hit later in life - I have a friend with a young teenaged gelding who is incredible - multiple World Champion, points across the Nation .. discovered he had PSSM when he was 8 or 9. He can no longer be shown, is only managed through very careful diet and supplementation and a very open checkbook.

If she was broke in early 2018 and she's held up fine to riding since, I think you're fine to ride her. Especially if you're just trail riding. https://www.voofla.com/US/Wilton/201...-Day-Farms-LLC
                                    Veni vidi vici. With a paint pony, nonetheless.

Comment

Late on here,few random questions that might help avoid problems down the road.

As I understand it, OP is not actually buying this mare for 7- 8 months after the baby is weaned? Who hired, paid for and communicated directly with the vet? Usually, it’s better to get a PPE shortly before buying a horse, pick the vet and pay them directly. Lots can happen to a horse in almost a year, even without having and nursing a foal for 6 months.

And if she was broken to ride in 2018 and has been in foal the last year ( if not the one before) how much riding and training has she had?

Has ever been shown in Halter? Show records stay with the horse and can be researched. There’s a difference between Halter bred, meaning she has relatives who showed in Halter and actually being shown in Halter. The regime to condition, train and present youngsters at Halter is sometimes not conducive to soundness in later life, sometimes, not always. Depends very much on who did the conditioning and handling.

If she just has some Halter bred horses in her pedigree, doesn't mean much. Beware absolute statements on the internet. There is very little black and white knowledge in horses, except safety related, and a whole lot of grey. The more people posting on the net preach “always” and “ never ‘ the less likely they are to really know or understand what they are talking about.

You will note on this board there’s a lot of “ maybe, it looks like, it appear to be, might be, sometimes can be and IMO, JMO, JMHO. In my opinion, Just my opinion or In/Just My Humble Opinion.

Internet is really mostly opinions, best to make sure they are experience based, knowledgeable opinions before you take them as the whole truth and nothing but.
                                      Last edited by findeight; Jan. 14, 2020, 11:12 AM.
                                      When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                      X