Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Front cover shot
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Latigo saddle knots Leather vs Nylon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latigo saddle knots Leather vs Nylon

I was told tying a latigo knot with a nylon latigo is not safe (it can slip). Leather latigos can be knotted (cowboy knot, Latino knot) and are safe. Thoughts?
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

I tied knots using a leather latigo eons ago as a kid, but as an adult have always used the hole and keeper of the buckle. I have never had an issue with leather staying tight with using the buckle, and I have fairly athletic horses that I showed as cutters and now ride as trail horses. But, I also have fairly well fitted saddles that do not shift much, it at all.
    "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

For years always used a leather tie strap and knitted...but have come to find using the holes and tab on the cinch is much less bulky and easier for me to tighten appropriately. When making the switch to method also switched to a nylon tie, again finding it to be less bulky. I do still use a leather off billet though as I like the look better.
      The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Comment

Full hitch is all I have ever used. I'm not really envisioning the other two. When I got the saddle it had some very lumpy knot tied with a nylon latigo and I teased it loose and put back what I knew. If it was a cowboy or Latino knot it wasn't letting go for anything.
        Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
        Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Full hitch knot is the same as a cow hitch/cowboy/saddle/latigo knot.
          If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

Comment

Eh...wouldnt use nylon anyway. It’s hard to work with, never softens with use and never gives to subtle movements in the horses body as leather does. And it can rub.

Dont think nylon will snug up like leather will, even with a proper Latigo knot and you can’t sort of slip it a little tighter or looser like you can leather.

Nylon is just not a good choice for a Latigo cinch closure. Because there is no give in it, don’t care for it with a buckle either but it’s cheap and durable if that’s your need.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

I use both nylon and leather but like the leather a lot more because it "sticks" better. I do not like using the buckle as I feel it is either a little to tight or a little to loose.

You do have to check with wear on the leather but that is just part of checking equipment anyway.

Comment

Another one who prefers leather but prefers to use the buckle on the cinch and holes on the Latino to tighten my cinch...mainly for the reason of I hate having bulk under my leg and two, I feel more secure buckling as opposed to tying a knot. They can certainly slip loose.
                All my saddles are very well fitting so I never feel the need to cut my horses in two with the cinch, if I’m “between” holes I’ll always opt for the looser one.

Comment

I use Nylon. I had a leather Latigo snap in half while I was tightening a saddle. Nylon seems to work fine. I always tie my cinch. Never used the buckle. Never found that it loosens.

Comment

Well, I am kind of like the guy wearing both a belt AND suspenders. I use the buckle holes in a latigo, then knot the end on the upper cinch ring. Just a bit of extra safety. No loose strap ends to flap around. I don't really think the nylon slips, as more the that horse changes during a ride so things may not stay as tight as they were an hour ago. This happens with both leather and nylon during ride times. You will want to pull the forelegs forward to get any skin wrinkles out from under the cinch as the last step before mounting, to prevent sores from snug girthing.

We always do a girth check 15 minutes into my warm up, then again at 30 minutes. After that you will want to check girth hourly. On long rides, not offered water for a couple hours, horses do "shrink" enough to make a girth dangerously loose. Having seen saddles turn, dealing with injured riders, I take frequent girth checking, VERY SERIOUSLY.

And seriously? Get off your horse to adjust the girth! Much safer. His back probably needs a rest from your weight, you will be less stiff at the end of the day after walking a few steps before getting back on.

I like leather for softness, sticking to itself, but they can stretch, need constant upkeep to know they are safe and keep getting more expensive.

I like the strength of nylon, not thick under my legs, inexpensive, never stain the horse and washable in the washing machine.

I do use a leather off-strap, halfbreed style for more adjustability fast, between different size horses.

I want to be able to remove my latigo fast, easily for cleaning and checking wear at the fold. I have broken a latigo strap not checking for wear at the fold. Glad I was just girthing up, not on the horse!

Comment

I have a nylon cinch and tie a latigo knot, but I have a Smart Cinch. https://www.ridethebrand.com/exclusives/smart-cinch
                      I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Originally posted by CanterQueen View Post
                        I was told tying a latigo knot with a nylon latigo is not safe (it can slip). Leather latigos can be knotted (cowboy knot, Latino knot) and are safe. Thoughts?
                        I always use nylon and I always knot them.

Never once had one slip. Never. (and I barrel race, which means doing things at high speed and high force)

So you can absolutely knot nylon latigos and be perfectly safe.
                        It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

Working...
                        X