Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

western saddle for shark finned TB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• western saddle for shark finned TB

evidently I need more tack...
    I am trail riding in my dressage saddle which is reasonably comfortable and fits my 24 yo TB but I really want a western saddle to tie stuff to. (also I love the look of a one ear headstall.)

any suggestions? not looking to spend a ton.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Ill be interested to see what is recommended - assuming there is anything to recommend. I have a very shark finned TB.

Comment

Plenty of barrel racing saddles tend to be made for the more TB type backs of race bred quarter horses.

They are also lighter to handle, not needing to be as stout as general ranch and roping saddles require.

Comment

There are lots of great options out there in Western saddles for all horses, and we have lots of TBs in our trail saddles. The main thing that is going to be a concern for you is going to be the padding underneath the saddle - you may need a corrective pad to ensure that there isn't any bridging that could cause sore spots on your horse's back.

What we would recommend would be to see a local saddle fitter, or send tracings to us so we can look at your horse's back and make a tree and saddle pad recommendation. Most likely, based on the information above, you will be looking at a regular tree with a quality pad. Coming from a dressage saddle, you may enjoy a Tucker Endurance saddle or a Circle Y Julie Goodnight Cascade crossover, which are all hornless Western saddles - meaning you'll still get plenty of places to tie your gear on.
        Obtain a device called a “flexible curve”. This measuring tool is easily found at an office or art supply store. It should be at least 18” long. You will use it to take a shape of your horse’s back in 4 places, and then trace that shape onto a stiff paper or poster board on one side. Use a separate piece of paper for each tracing.

Comment

I have a western saddle for when I go trail riding in the mountains.
          Much more comfortable for all day riding and yes you can pack more stuff on it!
          For my shark finned Tb I went with a Fabtron( can't remember the model)but it fits him well.
          The Fabtron is part synthetic so it is much lighter than a traditional leather saddle, and for me that makes a difference.
          It is a lot harder to lift a heavy saddle onto a 16 plus horse, than a smaller western horse!

Comment

Originally posted by lizathenag View Post
            evidently I need more tack...
            I am trail riding in my dressage saddle which is reasonably comfortable and fits my 24 yo TB but I really want a western saddle to tie stuff to. (also I love the look of a one ear headstall.)

any suggestions? not looking to spend a ton.
            What do you mean by "a ton"? Just curious because if that means $500 to you or if that means $2000 to you, of course, that's a big difference!

In general, most TBs are going to need a semi-QH bar or regular bar tree. But as with anything, that is a generalization.

As Bluey posted, a lot of barrel racing saddles do tend to have higher gullets and better wither clearance.

Can you post pictures of your horse?

What kind of tree do you have in your dressage saddle?

Originally posted by CircleY-Tucker-Reinsman-HighHorse View Post
            There are lots of great options out there in Western saddles for all horses, and we have lots of TBs in our trail saddles. The main thing that is going to be a concern for you is going to be the padding underneath the saddle - you may need a corrective pad to ensure that there isn't any bridging that could cause sore spots on your horse's back.
            Personally, I am going to disagree with this. If the saddle tree is bridging, then it does not fit. In most cases, a pad should not be used to try to correct bridging, because the saddle needs to fit appropriately in the first place.

It is not enough to know how to ride; one must know how to fall.

Comment

Working...
            X