Stallion Spotlight

Feinrich-Nr_1-12-18-10-074 Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Google is failing me - "roping" a horse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google is failing me - "roping" a horse

I've tried googling but all I get are articles about roping horses... If someone says they "rope" a horse (ex: "That's why its good to rope them young" or "I roped him real good before getting on him the first time") -- what the heck are they talking about? Posting this on western because its coming from a more western - horsemanship-y type source, but this could be the wrong location.

Not very clear but since I’ve moved to a state that is mostly cowboys they do the whole roping the horse down the ground when they start them?.. if that’s what you’re talking about.

Ive seen lots of idiots pasture rope horses. I’ve seen lots of mexican cowboys rope horses as well.

Unless you’re thinking about them sacking out a horse well? Or desensitizing them to a rope?

Or neck roping? Tripping horses? Or roping legs? Grey area
    https://www.instagram.com/streamlinesporthorses/

Comment

Using a rope to sack them out?
      Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

If I want a horse to be helpful and keep it's wits while I rope a calf at a branding, or calving, or doctoring...
        I will have had a rope about everywhere on his body, and had the horse give to the pressure or pull the rope for me.

Roping the feet...if the horse will give nicely to the pressure when you have an individual foot roped, said horse will likely be great for the farrier, and not lose his...$#!+ ...if you accidentally rope a foot instead of a calf.

If you can drag a log, with the rope going to either side, and you can have the rope go from saddle horn dally, around his butt (NOT under the tail, though)and then in front of him to the log on the ground, and the horse can back up, that's great. When your roped calf ( or someone else's roped calf) cuts back and runs behind you, goosing the horses butt with the rope... your horse won't lose his $#!+.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...N8ZFOD4xbU2nov

I hope the link works...it's a good YouTube video.

I also will have had a rope in my horses flank, and high in his groin/sheath/udder area for practice.

Under the tail is more sensitive, and a rope can burn a horse and hurt him frighteningly fast. But you can take a soft rope (like a cotton lead rope), lift his tail and put the rope under there, and let him wear it until he de-clamps his tail and the rope falls out . You'd have to do that a lot, making sure every time that the rope won't pull tight and zing him under the tail.

Catching a non-halter broke horse and restraining it with a horseback roper(s) is not commonly done well. It is possible. Usually when it's done for sport...it isn't a good thing for the horse. But my range raised, unhalterbroke two year old got roped and halter broke by a very talented cowboy, in an afternoon.

Comment

Yeah link doesn't work.

Try googling Mozaun McKibbon how to drag a log,

Or dragging a log with Scott Grosskopf

Comment

Guessing this refers to desensitizing a horse to the sight, sound and feeling of a rope being used anywhere around it. It’s a good idea for any horse, certainly colts. If they learn to tolerate that, they shouldn’t be bothered by much.

Dont think it refers to lassoing a horse if it’s being used as a training technique and not a way to catch a wild or feral one. They used to lasso and snub them to a post but that’s long gone in most places and would only be used as a last resort.
            When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Comment

• Original Poster

No, I'd been thinking it was something along the lines of "sacking out" but didn't know if "roping" was a specific term and/or had a specific distinction.

Comment

• Original Poster

In case anyone else comes across this thread looking for an answer - I suspect this video is explaining what I've heard referred to as "roping" - https://westernhorseman.com/horseman...o-start-colts/

Comment

Working...
                X