Stallion Spotlight

0201171029b-1

Real Estate Spotlight

Main-Barn-Bench-to-end2
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

yearling height

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • yearling height

    Hello, i think my yearling quarter horse is quit small, he s 17 months. Do you know if passed two years old they keep growing quite a lot?

  • #2
    Try the string test.

    With a string, find the point of the elbow on the back of the elbow, hold the string there, let it drop and pick the string up where it drops to the middle of the ankle.
    Then turn the string over from the botton, holding the point of the elbow steady and see where that reaches above the withers.

    Generally that proportion, from the middle of the ankle to the point of the elbow all along as a youngster is growing tends to be, within 1/2", where their mature growth will end.

    An old race horse trainer called Tesio tried that on over 200 TB race colts and followed most of them to mature size and it worked on practically all of them to determine how tall they would become.

    At puberty, around 20 to 26 months, the knee growth plates close.
    Those gelded before two may grow that 1/2" extra inch, because they don't hit puberty like entire colts do and so their legs do grow for a bit longer.

    We bought a 4 year old long ago in February and he measured 14.3 hands by measuring stick at the veterinarian.
    Last of June we measured him again and he was 15.2 hands.
    He had grown 3" more.

    Horses mature until about 5-6 years old, some of that is becoming taller.
    Most horses raised right and growing evenly all along still have growth spurts here and there, so you can't tell when they will quit growing.

    As a yearling, there is no telling what height genes he inherited, how tall he may become.
    Try the string test, see what it tells you.

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #3
      Thank you, i ll do it, hiswither is really low compared to hos butt. Do you think that if as a yearling he s small he could have a chance of becoming a normal sized horse?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sara78 View Post
        Thank you, i ll do it, hiswither is really low compared to hos butt. Do you think that if as a yearling he s small he could have a chance of becoming a normal sized horse?
        Well, it is normal for horses to be many sizes, especially quarter horses.
        We had some that were only 13.3 hands, he was a son of Docs Hotrodder and a very good cutting horse and some ranch and race bred others that were much bigger.

        What size a horse may end up when grown depends on the breeding.
        If your horse is registered, you can see what size the parents and grandparents were and make a better guess what size it may be when it finishes growing.

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by Bluey View Post

          Well, it is normal for horses to be many sizes, especially quarter horses.
          We had some that were only 13.3 hands, he was a son of Docs Hotrodder and a very good cutting horse and some ranch and race bred others that were much bigger.

          What size a horse may end up when grown depends on the breeding.
          If your horse is registered, you can see what size the parents and grandparents were and make a better guess what size it may be when it finishes growing.
          yes, father is 14,3 and mother 14,2

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sara78 View Post

            yes, father is 14,3 and mother 14,2
            It would be a good guess your yearling may end up somewhere around those heights, but you never know.
            Try the string test, just for fun and see where he is once grown.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by Bluey View Post

              It would be a good guess your yearling may end up somewhere around those heights, but you never know.
              Try the string test, just for fun and see where he is once grown.
              ok i ll do it and keep posted
              thank you

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                Try the string test.
                With a string, find the point of the elbow on the back of the elbow, hold the string there, let it drop and pick the string up where it drops to the middle of the ankle.
                Then turn the string over from the botton, holding the point of the elbow steady and see where that reaches above the withers.
                Agreed - I've found this method to be fairly reliable on numerous yearlings.

                My current gelding was just barely 14 hands withers/14.1 hips on his 2nd birthday and maxed out/evened out at 15.1 by age 5 - exactly what his string test predicted. He continued filling out in body mass during year 6 and he's probably done with any significant changes now at 7.

                Comment

                • Original Poster

                  #9
                  well, i did the string test and he s not going to be a big one....he s anyway very high behind, he s 17 months, i also have the feeling that he s got a little of posted hind legs, can that change a little bit or at 17 months you already see how he s going to be?

                  Comment

                  • Original Poster

                    #10
                    my yearling, reining bred

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      He looks plenty big in those pictures. How tall is he? My yearling filly is 16 months and 14hh, but we expect her to top out at about 15.2hh

                      My 8yo mare grew two inches late in her 4yo year btw.
                      Allah took a handful of southerly wind, blew His breath over it, and created the horse. Thou shall fly without wings, and conquer without any sword, O, Horse!
                      Anonymous Bedouin legend

                      Comment

                      • Original Poster

                        #12
                        Originally posted by sorrelfilly721 View Post
                        He looks plenty big in those pictures. How tall is he? My yearling filly is 16 months and 14hh, but we expect her to top out at about 15.2hh

                        My 8yo mare grew two inches late in her 4yo year btw.
                        he looks big but actually he isn t he s a quarter horse, i don t know how big he is i would say 13 hh

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          13hh for reining bred is appropriate. Probably will finish out around low 14hh.

                          My yearlinf is qh but hunter bred and is 15.1 at either and 15.3 at hip. But she should end up in the 16hh plus range

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Horses usually gain in height to 4, some even longer. In the meantime his conformation will change end to end. Be aware that bone growth is continuing all that time so joints are vulnerable
                            Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

                            Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              He looks like a nice colt and I wouldn't say he's post legged. I also wouldn't say he's soggy but his legs look like they match the rest of him. He's only 17 months and hip high, he'll get a couple more growth spurts then start filling out. Don't worry about height as much as balance.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Bluey you're a peach.

                                Comment

                                • Original Poster

                                  #17
                                  Originally posted by Aces N Eights View Post
                                  He looks like a nice colt and I wouldn't say he's post legged. I also wouldn't say he's soggy but his legs look like they match the rest of him. He's only 17 months and hip high, he'll get a couple more growth spurts then start filling out. Don't worry about height as much as balance.

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    Thank you i ll try to measure him but you are right, it s better a good balanced yearling, do you know if being quite balanceddit at 17 months indicate a good balan
                                    ced adult horse?

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      My 8 month old gelding is 13.1 HH, I feel like he's huge but his parents were only 15.2/15.3, he's got a lot of tall half siblings over the 15.3 mark, so I guess it's a toss up on genetics! Lol

                                      Comment

                                      Working...
                                      X