• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Update to Forum Rules: Criminal Allegations

In our continuing effort to provide an avenue for individuals to voice their opinions and experiences, we have recently reviewed and updated our forum policies. Generally, we have allowed users to share their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, trainers, etc. within the industry, and that is not changing.

When it came to overt criminal allegations, however, those discussions have in the past needed to stem from a report by a reputable news source or action by law enforcement or the legal system.

We are now expanding our policies to allow posters to share their own first-hand experiences involving overt criminal allegations, such as animal abuse or neglect, theft, etc., but only if they publicly provide their full first and last name along with the post. We still will not allow anonymous postings alleging criminal activity.

So, a user may now make a specific claim against a named individual or company, but it must be a FIRST-HAND account, and they have to IDENTIFY THEMSELVES. Users have always been legally responsible for their posts, and nothing has changed there, but we want to loosen the reins a bit and further allow the free flow of discussion and information relevant to the horse community.

We are not providing a free-for-all of anonymous rumor-mongering. As enduring advocates for the welfare of the horse, we want to provide a forum for those willing to sign their name and shine a light on issues of concern to them in the industry.

The full revised rules are posted at the top of each forum for reference.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums’ policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Irish Draught crossed with WB vs TB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Draught crossed with WB vs TB

Since I cannot ride right now (injury) I thought I'd peruse some stallions. I have an Irish Draught mare that I plan on getting inspected next year. Pending approval I will likely breed her the following year for a sport horse. I have discussed this at length with a lot of the breed enthusiasts but thought I'd ask the COTH experts

She is just four, will likely change a little bit. The first three pictures are from a show in September. The last is from yesterday in all her scruffy glory, and looking a bit butt high.

My goal is to have a personal sport horse, but I think it's only responsible to breed something that if push comes to shove, could be marketable. The traditional Irish Sport Horse is ID/TB but I know warmbloods sell. I personally love TBs. If you were looking at a ISH youngster would you prefer a TB or WB cross?

Also....have you bred either of these crosses? What stallions would you recommend? Temperament, trainability, ammy friendly are of the utmost importance. Or course soundness and athleticism are also up there.

There are so so so so so many stallions out there! It's overwhelming.

If you are into ID's, here is her breeding:

http://new.idshs.com.au/perl/search....by_rose&gens=5

Thanks in advance for any input!

I dont breed IDs but their smaller relative the Connemara. For brains, willingness and try I love the Connemara x TB. To me this cross is the most like our purebreds with more size and blood more athletic scope and endurance. My second favorite cross is the Holsteiner x Connemara using a Holsteiner with a lot of TB (in fact the more the better). Its very likely your mare will give more her type so you will want to be looking for a refining stallion and a lot of natural thrust/uphill balance Another way to go might be to find a "Type Setting Stallion" or Type Improver. JM2C.
    "You can look at a horse and know what he/she seems to be; you can study the pedigree and know what the horse ought to be; but only the offspring can tell you what horse really is..."
    Redbud Ranch

Comment

In Ireland there is now an organized group which has recently been officially recognized that is devoted to breeding the Traditional Irish Horse, which they define as RID + TB. They are trying to save the Irish horse as it has always been bred to preserve what they believe to be unique and worthwhile qualities--which certainly seems to be true of the traditional Irish horse brain.
      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Suggest you start here;
        http://www.horsesportireland.ie/bree...on-selections/
        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Actually, the Traditional Irish Horse Section includes 3 breeds, and not 2. Traditional Irish Horse includes: the Irish Draught, Thoroughbred and Connemara Pony only:. http://www.horsesportireland.ie/bree...-tih-category/
          "You can look at a horse and know what he/she seems to be; you can study the pedigree and know what the horse ought to be; but only the offspring can tell you what horse really is..."
          Redbud Ranch

Comment

I love the way she's put together.....I'd go with a nice, proven in sport, TB stallion if she were mine. I also wouldn't discount a nice Connamara either, depending on how much height means to you (I'm happy on a big-bodied 15.3 - 16 hh horse)

Comment

I have one of each! My youngster is a Holst/ID and she is going to be marvelous. Really lucked out with her as she got the absolute best traits from both sides of the cross. I'm sure I'm not 100% objective, LOL...but I am very excited about her. She was out of a nice ID mare by a well-known Holsteiner stallion.

My older horse is an ID/TB. I've had her since she was a weanling and I love her to death. That said, I think the ID breeders in North America often put these really super ID stallions on sort of average TB mares with inconsistent results. Some, like mine, are more TB-looking...others quite heavy. Never really established an identifiable "brand". My understanding is that you get a more consistent type putting the ID mare to the TB or WB stallion, but the experienced breeders can weigh in on that...maybe I am full of beans!

Loved all of goodpony's advice. You might broaden your marketability a bit going with a proven WB stallion vs. TB. It's a shame, but I feel like the IDxs are really underappreciated as Ch/Ad/Jr/Am jumpers here in the US. That market would probably not show as much interest in the TBx as they would a WBx.

Good luck with whatever you decide! You have a lovely mare.

Comment

Originally posted by freyeann View Post
                Since I cannot ride right now (injury) I thought I'd peruse some stallions. I have an Irish Draught mare that I plan on getting inspected next year. Pending approval I will likely breed her the following year for a sport horse. I have discussed this at length with a lot of the breed enthusiasts but thought I'd ask the COTH experts

She is just four, will likely change a little bit. The first three pictures are from a show in September. The last is from yesterday in all her scruffy glory, and looking a bit butt high.

My goal is to have a personal sport horse, but I think it's only responsible to breed something that if push comes to shove, could be marketable. The traditional Irish Sport Horse is ID/TB but I know warmbloods sell. I personally love TBs. If you were looking at an ISH youngster would you prefer a TB or WB cross?

Also....have you bred either of these crosses? What stallions would you recommend? Temperament, trainability, ammy friendly are of the utmost importance. Or course soundness and athleticism are also up there.

There are so so so so so many stallions out there! It's overwhelming.

If you are into ID's, here is her breeding:

http://new.idshs.com.au/perl/search....by_rose&gens=5

Thanks in advance for any input!
                I would prefer a TB. Why cross an ID with a WB? You'd just have a lukewarm blood (I'm not trying to be "funny;" in effect that's what you'd have). For my money an ID x WB is not an ISH/IDSH.

Lovely mare, BTW.
                Rack on!

Comment

Friend of mine has an RID x Sempatico gelding that is a really pretty mover, though a bit quirky in his personality. He also turned out HUGE, over 17 hands and pretty wide.
                  RH Queen O Anywhere "Sydney"
                  2009 Sugarbush Draft mare
                  Western Dressage
                  Draft Mare blog

Comment

just chiming back in--i have bred the following crosses Con x Tb, WB x Con as well as Con x WB. In fact i had one of each this year Wb x Con and a Con x TB. One of the reasons for choosing a Wb over a TB is that with Wb x you are likely to improve both thrust and elasticity as well as uphill frame and balance (it's mainly compeititve gait quality and type rather than jumping ability - we know these Irish horses jump just fine). And for sure keep in mind that your mare is just as likely to breed true to herself rather than produce something really modern. attached a couple photos of what we have been getting. The chesnut and bay are both TBx and the 2 greys are both Wb x

Redbud Ranch

Comment

My daughter owned a 1/2 Holsteiner’,1/4 ID, 1/4 Connemara for 14 years. He was an amazing horse and terrific athlete. She evented him through Preliminary. He also was great at carrying old folks and timid small children around the trails.

My friend has an awesome 1/2 Dutch warmblood, 3/8 ID. She paid good money for him and he is worth every penny she paid.

Many Irish breeders are breeding WB/ID crosses. Think of all of the successful Cavalier Royale horses.

Comment

Some important food for thought on this topic...

http://www.teamwindchase.com/SavetheIrishHorse.htm

Looks like you have a lovely young mare with traditional lines. If she were mine... I'd look for a really really really nice sport TB stallion who might complement her.

Though I wouldn't cross with a Warmblood, I would take a long hard look at all the TB stallions specifically approved for Warmblood registries. Because these particular boys have been identified as sources of quality TB blood for those books in particular. Since your mare is healthy and young, frozen might be a good option as well...

Some names to look into... Sea Accounts, Goldmaker, Lucarelli, Chiron, Coconut Grove, and Likoto. Which of those you like best depends on what you are trying to breed... I assume a jumping and eventing type. Your original post speaks about marketability and an ammy friendly temperament. Goldmaker in particular might be a nice fit on those criteria - his lines are known for great temperaments. You would also get a Palomino... Which might be easier to sell if you ever chose too. Sea Accounts is a lovely boy though - I would imagine he's made a few babies with Irish mares and maybe the stallion owner can give info on how that cross worked.

Comment

TB for sure IMO!!!
                          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks so much for all the feedback! Equibrit I'm familiar with HSI as they are harmonized with IDHSNA and will be doing our inspections next year. The stallions there are fun to look at but I'm looking at domestic stallions right now.

GoodPony those qualities are exactly why I was considering a WB, uphill, quality of gait...etc.

I guess I am just not familiar with enough TB stallions. I LOVED a baby I met by Salute the Truth but he is not an option

Virginia Horse Mom yes to jumping and eventing type. My plan is for my horse to do a little bit of everything. But I'd love to get her to training level. I will definitely look into those TBs. I know Goldmaker is popular I just didn't know if it was just his color. Ruby has a good brain (most days!) so I'm hopeful she will pass that on.

I was also trying to look at WBs with a lot of TB in them.

Obviously I'm not a breeder And if was breeding to an purebred ID I have a short list of stallions but I want her first baby to be a sport horse and a personal horse for me. The ID is an endangered breed and I definitely have friends and professionals to help me with this should I actually do it. Just thought I'd throw that tidbit in there as I don't want to sound like some irresponsible back yard breeder

Oh an our inspections do the linear profile which is kind of neat.

Thanks again!

Feel free to throw out any stallions I should be googling

Comment

It's definitely sad about Salute the Truth.

Goldmaker has 70 day stallion test scores available, and was recently approved by GOV in addition to Westfalen RPSI. It gives you good info about his strengths and weaknesses. I'm not a fan of color breeding in general, but I think they've done great things by putting him through testing and presenting to GOV for approval too.

Personally, I really like Lucarelli. He's not produced much yet...but had a long impressive racing career. He's a beautiful distance type with a GREAT pedigree for sport... Nice mover too. It's riskier than some of the others... But he's lovely.

One other Warmblood with a lot of TB to look at is Herald III. He's almost 75% blood Holsteiner. My friend had a colt from him this spring.... Nice baby. She bred the mare back again. He's a son of Heraldik.

Comment

Don't forget Mystic Replica, if he's still standing. He may be available frozen through SES. He's a horse who ought to cross beautifully with a RID. His owner has lots of eventing experience and ought to be quite worth getting in touch with.
                                Last edited by vineyridge; Nov. 7, 2017, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Couple of comments. Cavalier Royale did not become the tremendous success he was until after the endurance element was removed from eventing. Same is true of WBs in event breeding in Ireland.

HSI has decided to become just another pan-European WB studbook--at least per one Irish breeder. They do not care about the strengths and characteristics of the old style Irish horses as long as the horse of whatever pedigree was born in Ireland.

One should perhaps also mention that the old style ISH is the only one in the world who was specifically bred for cross country riding. In fact, the old style ISH was originally called the Irish Hunter and, from what I understand, Irish hunting has never been for the faint-hearted.

Comment

What is now Sport horse Breeding GB has been breeding for Hunting and sport for a very long time; since 1884 in fact.
                                    History

Between the years of 1873 and 1882 no fewer than 197,002 horses were imported into England , chiefly for the army, at a relative cost today of £250million. Consequently, the government at that time was greatly in favour of encouraging the breeding of horses in this country.

This crisis in the British Equestrian Industry coincided with a decision made at a November meeting in 1884 by the Hackney Horses Society’s Council . It was decided to include a class for Thoroughbred stallions suitable for use as hunter sires at their annual show and a “Committee of Management” was formed to administer this new venture . This was followed up a year later at another meeting where a proposal led to the formation of a society for improving the breed of the hunter type horse. The existing Committee of Management responsible for the Thoroughbred Stallion Classes agreed to form the new society , and the Hunters Improvement Society was born.

In 1894 , the Ministry of Agriculture and the War Office offered premiums at £150 to 29 Stallions in the scheme. The Army , via their remount officers, continued to play a major part in the Society/s activities and the financial backing came from the same source right up to the outbreak of the Second World War . After the War, backing was continued by the Totalisator Board
                                    and then by the Horserace Betting Levy Board . Between 1996 — 1998 financial assistance was reduced and finally withdrawn and the society has since had to sustain itself by its own operations.

In 1981 , the Society’s name was extended to ” Hunters Improvement and National Light Horse Breeding Society”. This was intended to reflect the shift in the demand for horses for sport and leisure. In fact, with the Army now almost completely mechanised, the society’s emphasis totally changed and breeders became much more selective. Quality was of the utmost importance and the market for the “competition horse” became very strong. To this aim, the society started to register stallions of other types whilst continuing with its established policy of making available the sound, strong, Thoroughbred Stallion.

In 1998 the society went through its most recent transition and became Sport Horse Breeding of Great Britain. The society now grades and registers all breeds of horse with the main objective of producing a correct, sound, athletic Sport Horse with the potential to exceed in Showjumping, Dressage or Eventing.

... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

• Original Poster

Virginia Horse Mom I looked up Lucarelli earlier and he looks really nice! Might need to put him on my short list. I'll have to look into Goldmaker more. I most definitely would not breed for color. I honestly have zero preference on color and am only interested in the horses conformation, temperament and athletic capabilities and yes I've owned a grey horse I think I just kind of discounted him thinking his color was his best attribute since so many people do love that.

Viney Ridge...I have such mixed feelings about HSI. IDHSNA has harmonized with them and there are some benefits and they will be the ones inspecting and grading my mares. But there is the current issue of an ISH being anything born in Ireland. ISH used to mean Irish blood. But now it is anything born in Ireland.

And yes! I bet Mystic Replica would cross great with an ID

So much reading and research to do this winter.

Comment

I think she is LOVELY!!!

I have a ISH who is heavily TB bred. His sire is a son of Bassompierre and an ID mare, and my gelding's dam is a crappy (yesreally) TB mare who should have never been bred. My gelding was a stablemen's lien horse I got for dollars, and while he has some crappy feet and a "quirky" personality, his conformation is actually quite nice. He is on the shorter side, just under 16hh, but that could be lack of nutrition moreso than breeding, since everyone in his linage is more than 16hh... I wish he had more leg bone, and a better dam would have gotten him there. Your mare has bone in spades, so I think a nice TB would get you a good sport horse.
                                        COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Working...
                                        X