Stallion Spotlight

Vitalis_img_4461skawx LL_Fotos

Real Estate Spotlight

BarnApartmentFront
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

Mare violently attacking her own foal ... any ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd separate them immediately. Put a board up across the foaling stall, so they can still touch but not be in the same space. Every two hours, halter the mare (and further restrain if necessary) and allow the foal in to nurse. Obviously this is a very short term arrangement while you arrange a nurse mare or get set up for handling an orphan.

Comment

Totally off the wall idea, but is she trying to drive her filly to "safety" somewhere else, and being frustrated by the fence?
      You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by quietann View Post
        Totally off the wall idea, but is she trying to drive her filly to "safety" somewhere else, and being frustrated by the fence?
        I feel like you could absolutely be right. Just because she is such an attentive mother inside. I am going to move her home this week and see how she does in a 'safe place'. Thank you!

Comment

Genuine question, no snark intended: is it normal to breed a mare 3 weeks post-foaling?

Comment

Originally posted by longlanefarm View Post
            Genuine question, no snark intended: is it normal to breed a mare 3 weeks post-foaling?
            Yes. Otherwise, the delivery date each year creeps later and later, which is important if you're trying to make sure foals are born after it's too cold or before it's too hot. It's also important in case the mare doesn't get in foal on the first try and you need to try again.

Mares come into heat every 3 weeks or so, and restart this cycling right after foaling. This first heat cycle after foaling is called "foal heat." Since gestation for mares roughly averages 340 days, there are 25 days left in the year to get her back in foal.

It is also normal to give them a year off between foals to reset the timeline.
            Disclaimer: My mom told me that people might look at my name and think I had an addiction other than horses. I don't; his name was Bravado.

Comment

We had a friend's mare do this, she was a Standardbred off the track. She was perfect in the stall, but when they were turned out she kicked her and tried to kill her. They had to wean her early, and put the foal with an old pony. The vet they had mentioned something about the mindset while being loose, she thought the foal was a predator. It was the only foal the mare had, and the foal has grown up into a nice, sound horse. A little sassy, but not bad.

\

https://grandprixbreeders.squarespace.com/

Comment

Foal heat is also the most easily predictable and often the most fertile heat. Unless the mare had a very hard time foaling and needs more time to recover; breeding on the foal heat is common.

Another thought - with a grumpy mare that is thinking about rejecting a baby, but has not yet escalated to what's described here, reserpine can be helpful. Reserpine was the drug of choice in previous decades because it turned OTTBs into hunters without hours of lunging. It's a long acting, mild sedative.

In the case I'm thinking of, we did eventually take the foal away from the mare, but the reserpine bought us some time.
                Last edited by McGurk; May. 12, 2019, 06:30 PM.
                The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

One of my mares is very protective of "her" herd and aggressive to outsiders. She reacts to strange horses by driving the herd away from the stranger. She acts very aggressive and tells them to get away and puts herself between the herd and the interloper. I have no doubt, if in the wild, she would chase that interloper right off the property. Only she can't do that with the fence between them, so the herd gets moved instead.

If she had a foal, i imagine it might appear that she is attacking the foal. I actually took a video of the behavior, as i found it fascinating. The other strange thing is that some horses she "likes" and accepts, others she can't stand. I've noticed she doesn't like horses that are neurotic, act prancey, or act unpredictable.

​​​​​​

Comment

I’d put her on GastroGuard too. She is in a new and stressful situation at the vets....and ulcers cause pain which could then cause her to lash out.
                    ** Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip. ~Winston Churchill? **

Comment

I once saw a documentary about a baby rhinoceros whose mother did something like this.
                      it was in Africa at a breeding facility to save rhinos.
                      The staff raised it, cute videos of it running and playing.all normal.
                      It died suddenly at 10 months.
                      Autopsy showed it had only a third of its brain.
                      The hypothesis was the mother sensed the defect.
                      Sometimes it happens in wild horse herds, and the stallion will shake it to death (see the "cloud" documentary).
                      Its not your foal, so take the above as an anecdote

Comment

Working...
                      X