• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How much do your yearlings play?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do your yearlings play?

My yearling filly is turned out with a 4 year old mare and an 'old as dirt' grandmotherly type, both ponies. There's only one other yearling at the facility...but he's a colt, and intact, so he needs to stay precisely where he is (not in my filly's pasture.) However, I've noticed that she just doesn't...play. She was born on a breeding farm and grew up socialized with 15-20 other foals. When I acquired her as an 8 month old, she was living out with just 2 other colts her age and 2 older horses, so I feel like there was at least a 'transition' period for her.

I have never seen her initiate play, even though her and the 4 year old are that never-to-part, lets share food/do everything together type. Her previous pasture mate was an active (read: obnoxious) tiny fat younger pony and I never saw them romp either (unless I was chasing her around to take pictures, then she'd kick and snort and play bite at him some).

She's very 'serious' by nature-- not a noise maker or blanket ripper, keeps herself and her stall clean. NEVER seen her pace the fence line/scream/crib/indicate she's bored in anyway. But she's BIG and I want her moving around on those joints...moreso than walking as she grazes. She has a jolly ball, but she couldn't give a hoot about it.

How often do your yearlings run around? Am I depriving her of a 'childhood'? She has GREAT social skills IMHO--meshes well with buddies and has hand walked trail rides with other horses...never starts problems or causes trouble in the pasture. But I'd be happy to know she was causing a little trouble if it meant she was romping around a bit

Ya know, my yearlings never played very much... kind of odd. Now when they were wittle they did!

Comment

She will play if she wants to. Sounds like she has a good buddy with the 4yr old. Sounds like she has a good head on her shoulders, and I think your lucky with that. She doesn't need to run around to keep her legs strong you'd be surprised how much they really walk if you were able to see how far they walk in a day in the field.
      Check us out on Facebook at EVER AFTER FARM

Comment

The two I have play several times a day. Usually the running, chase, follow the leader type stuff. They also like to sleep right next to each other.
        www.glenhillfarm.com
        www.learntolikepink.com my journey with breast cancer
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petalu...2907692?ref=ts

Comment

We have 2 fields of yearlings with 5 colts and 5 fillies. Our colts play all the time. The fillies either ignore each other or kick each other. This has always been my experience with warmbloods young and old in the pasture together. Colts will rear, mount, strike, etc. The girls mostly eat.

Comment

I have two yearlings together - they play alot - then I added a mare with a 2 month old filly to the mix - now the three of them play all the time. Putting the yearlings in with the foal was the best thing I could have done for all concerned.

It means the filly leaves mom alone - ho is rebred and just wants to eat (and needs to eat) and the yearlings are having a lot of fun playing with the filly. The yearlings have also made the filly much more confident.

The yearlings put up with the filly coming up to them and rearing, kicking and bouncing around them - then all three of them will run around the field. They are so good with the baby.

Here's a pic of the three of them together.

http://www.prospectequinefarms.com/i...10-05-26-3.jpg

Comment

My two always ran laps around the pasture. They are a month and a half apart in age. My gelding loves to run the most, but the filly will run laps with him and play. My 22 year old gelding roughouses and plays with my youngster, and sometimes my mare, who is his mom.

They are now both 2 and still run laps around the pasture. They still sleep side by side as well and tend to graze in pairs.

I have two 2 year olds, one 9 year old and my 22 year old together. Sometimes my pony goes out and plays with them too.
              Cloverfox Stables

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I was afraid I was going to hear "ARE YOU CRAZY, MOVE HER, you're going to make her socially crippled."

Jewels--I laughed out loud at that. How funny. I feel like I'm constantly getting "the eyeroll" from my filly...very mature for her age. I just want to ruffle her hair, slap her on the butt and say "LOOSEN UP AND GO PLAY" sometimes. Once I was flapping around in the pasture enticing her to play BOOTED the jolly ball at her--made this huge SLAP as it hit her in the shoulder and she didn't even jump away...but was not amused. Laughed for an hour. Got a very stern stare before she returned to grazing.

Prodomus--thats what I want!! I'll ship her right to you--theyre all SO cute! How ideal that mom gets to snack too but they can all play.

Makes me want to go steal some scruffo PMU foal for her to play with. Too bad I can't give it back when I"m done 'playing' with it

Comment

We have two yearling fillies, three weeks apart. One is 3/4 TB-1/4 RID, the other is a TBy paint. They are in adjoining stalls with a common paddock at meal time and turned out with a three year old ISH filly, a five year old TB filly and a mature TB mare on about 8-9 acres of pasture. Mine play like CRAZY!! With each other and with all the others in the pasture. Tag and flat match racing. I was taking some pictures this evening and using a Walmart bag for attention getting...the Irish filly grabbed the bag and started waving it around...I figured the paint filly - the object being photographed would leave the county...no, she had her picture taken, then walked over and took the bag away from the other filly and started waving it about!!
                  www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                  Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

My first colt played often as a yearling. His younger half sister was never a big player (although now at 11 she has been known to rip around bucking and kicking, it's not more or less than when she was younger). My next one played hard. My next one is more laid back, but I do see her getting her pals riled up and running and playing.

All mine were raised in 'only baby' situations with herds ranging from 4-20+ yrs old.
                    Eileen
                    http://themaresnest.us

Comment

• Original Poster

Hmm...still seems like she plays less than usual compared to you guys. I know the colts owner plans to geld him, maybe I should hassle her to hurry that along so she can have a playmate Unfortunately he's not the 'frisky' sort either, but at least they could stand around and be lazy together. Kids these days.

Comment

Originally posted by irkenequine View Post
                        Hmm...still seems like she plays less than usual compared to you guys. I know the colts owner plans to geld him, maybe I should hassle her to hurry that along so she can have a playmate Unfortunately he's not the 'frisky' sort either, but at least they could stand around and be lazy together. Kids these days.
                        I think it really depends on the horse. Tisors horse on here NEVER played as a yearling. She kept wondering why he was so mellow...he just was. Now as a 2 year old and in a new herd he runs around and plays with they boys.
                        Cloverfox Stables

Comment

My two yearling geldings play constantly. Everytime I look at them, they're rearing at ech other, running around together, playing 'bite face,' or one is biting the other one's withers, etc. They have a really good time! My 2 yearling fillies, on the other hand, don't play!
                          Kim
                          'Like' my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...946873?sk=wall

Comment

The 3 colts roughhouse constantly when they are not eating or sleeping. I always feel bad for the one who lays down for the first nap as the other 2 will pick on him until _he_ gets up and they will squabble over that spot until the quicker one sneaks over and flops down on it! The funniest part of them is that they all have different sires but the most picked on has a different damline...so the other 2 seem to think he's an outsider. Not to worry though, he is the most graceful, so he blithely skips away from their shenanigans without a worry!

The filly is out with the big mare herd. She is an old soul and does her best to keep up with the older fillies when they go for their evening 'race around the pasture at full speed' jaunt. Someday she'll be able to keep up but for now she just cuts the corners and then heads to the waterer to wait for her friends! Very smart girl...
                            Watermark Farm
                            Blog
                            Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                            You Tube Channel

Comment

My yearling gelding plays a lot. He can't get the 27 yr. old to do much, but he does get the 8 yr. old gelding and the 2 yr. old filly going. Especially the 2 yr. old. Those two play all the time.
                              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                              "Life's a bleach and then you dye"
                              "Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet." Roger Miller

Comment

• Original Poster

Agh they all sound so sweet. I want that! I want the rearing, squeal-fart-rip around the pasture, crow hopping silliness. 'Old soul' might be a good way to describe her. I think the moral of this story is, my next buy should be a COLT not a filly

Comment

The only thing I have noticed over the years is that any of the foals, yearlings, 2 yr olds etc that are TB or have a large portion of TB tend to run around in laps in the pasture almost from day 1. It seems the more WB in my babies, the more lazy they are. They might "canter" and then go off and eat, but they won't keep up doing laps when there is grass to eat. Right now I have a 2 yr old filly and a yearling filly who spent all morning doing laps around the pasture while the 3yr old WB sat and "watched". He will play Grab face with my other gelding, but they won't take off running, just for the fun of it...and they never did even as younger horses. Just my observation at our farm.

PS when I open the gate to let my 2 yr old filly, 3 yr old colt and the 20 year old dam of the 2 yr old filly out into their pastrue--it is the 20 year old mare who takes off at top speed. She is my foundation TB mare and is still running strong.

Comment

Anyone who wants to see how colts play, please come visit Sugarbrook. From birth the colts play. The fillies play with their barbie dolls and pin ears at each other.
                                    Our yearlings, two year olds and the two three yr olds play non stop. Rearing, running, nipping and having ever so much fun. Its the only time in their life they are able to do this because once they are a 'show' pony life changes and we worry about the nips and marks and tend to place them in pastures with not much going on.

The fillies are in another pasture and they still pin ears, try to kick and in general run a tight ship with the chain of command.
                                    The boys chain of command changes by the hour. LOL

Have any of you noticed how under control the mares keep their fillies, while the same mare when she has a colt will let them run ruffshod over them.
                                    Sandy
                                    www.sugarbrook.com
                                    hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

• Original Poster

Play with barbies--too too funny. If you were closer I would indeed stop by and watch. Nothing like watching babies play. I suppose if the other fillies act like boring snobs around the lunch table, then mine's not abnormal. Maybe I should be more concerned about the COLT in the other field who's just standing around :P

Comment

Bring him here. They will make him join in the fun. LOL
                                        Sandy
                                        www.sugarbrook.com
                                        hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

Working...
                                        X