• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

ALL Breeders Beware of The SPCA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALL Breeders Beware of The SPCA

As most of you know, my wife Sandy Has nursemares. Many of you have had the need for her services. She has brought Nursemares to farms all over the northeast. I know many nursemare farms have trouble with SPCA. This is Sandys first time. Its not nice. While this hasbeen going on (Aug til now), I have found out some things. Here in NY the SPCA has taken show horses from kids to breeding stock from breeders. Now you might think these horses were endangered,starving,cripples etc. Think again. Sandys horses are not endangered.None of her foals were endangered. In fact sandy shipped some to Va. not long ago that were on the SPCAs list. I'm sure that their owners now were happy with them. Here is some of the vets comments about the suggested ones to be seized. One yearling with a white nose had what you might call sunburn. The vet with SPCA said the yearling had to be treated with sun block everyday. Our vet said that the redness came a weed in the pasture where most of it was shadded anyway. This one will kill you draft horse lovers. The head officer ofthe SPCA told my wife that the big draft mare (Shire,Bridgit) had swolen and infected Teets. She said that they need attention rite away or she would be subject to removel. Most of you know what a rat tail APP is. Well Sandy has two or three. The SPCA wants these horses to stay in the barn daytimes because they can't defend temselves against the flies. Sandy also has three blind mares. Most of you know who Sassy is. well the vet looked at these mares and said we have to put salve in their eyes. Now these mares have been blind for many years now. Will this salve do some kind of wonders? I later found out this is a vet out of NY city. A P.E.T.A. Vet. Other vets the SPCA use seem to be ones that don't have a very good practice. At least the ones I know. None of the horses or foals that were taken were in any danger. Sandy has had vets come in and evaluate her herd. Including the babies. all the vets that seen the horses said that the SPCA had no grounds for seizure of any of them. Yet the Judge signs the warrants.The other vets that are to far away haed written letters in her behalf. There is a TB farm up here that they are going to take 75 horses from. The clam is the water has ecoli in it. Dairy farms are not safe either. BUT its the horse breeders they want to take down and they as much as said that. WE are going through hell with this. Sandy had to go to jail for trying to defend her horses. I guess nobody told her she can't go after a SPCA officer with a tractor. Ya, a 62 yr old woman on a 50 yr old ford tractor with a 850 lb round bale on the back. Front wheels off the ground. Now how do you stear it at someone. Now I want to warn everyone that breeds. Don't let anyone in to your place that you don't know. Sandys problem started with a 3 yr old that was at another place for a while and that place fed a daly wormer. We could never get the weight back on that horse and I wanted to put it down. Sandy said wait a little longer. That was the only thin horse on the place except Ilana ,30 yr old mare. So keep an eye out as there is nobody out there watching over the SPCA. They have a free rain and will take you down. There are many stories out there, like ours. I can't get any help from anyone. NY State DA, NY State Dept, AG and Markets, Farm bureau, yet to hear fron Newspapers. Nobody wants to step on the SPCAs toes. It will go to court in Dec. Thats just when the mares will start foaling. The Nursemare herd is just fine. Not as many mares as some were sold this summer. Sandy has enough.to keep her running. I never ask for anyones help,if I can't solve my own problems, but this is different. We are excepting letters from anyone that has had the need of Sandys help. That knows what a life saver a Nursemare can be. People that have had runins with the SpCA. People that are breeders. The address is Sandys Nursemare Service, 70 Taft Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603 . I hope none of you have to go through any of this. These people (SPCA) have to be stopped. They have to have a watchdog so to speek, keep them in check. Its like the gustopo. Same thing. Thanks for any help you can come up with. Len.

Better articulation and spelling would be warranted.

Comment

http://blindhorsesings.com/blog/2007...come_andy.html

When Andy, a yearling Appaloosa, arrived last week, he collapsed to the ground when he stepped off the trailer. We lifted him gently—this young boy who should weigh 700 pounds weighs at best half that—and he inched forward on wobbly legs to his stall.

In starvation cases, a rating system known as the “Henneke Scale” is used by veterinarians to describe horses’ body conditions. Horses are rated between “1” and “9” on the scale, with “1” being the worst possible score for an animal that’s still alive--a score that represents extreme emaciation. Andy was called an “extreme 1.”

Andy has been so starved for so long that we’re concerned that his body might be shutting down. Instead of manure, he passes water. His urine is dark. He leans against the stall wall to support himself. Andy’s owner, a breeder from Poughkeepsie, has been arrested and charged with four counts of cruelty. While the courts play out her fate, we will do everything we can to heal this lovely boy, who already senses that Catskill Animal Sanctuary is a safe place. After just two days, he wobbles on unsteady legs to his front wall, leans out, and nibbles a hat or a cheek. Too weak to muster a full whinny, he tries to call out “hello” to everyone he sees.

He’s a trooper. And we’re rooting for him.

Comment

Article: What Starvation Looks Like

http://www.prnewsnow.com/Public_Rele...er/161922.html

What Starvation Looks Like Little Horse Recovers at Catskill Animal Sanctuary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One month after his removal from a Dutchess County breeder, little Andy, an Appaloosa stallion, has gained seventy pounds and is able to stand solidly on spindly legs.

When Andy, above, arrived at Catskill Animal Sanctuary on August 1, he collapsed to the ground when he stepped off the trailer. Caretakers lifted him gently, and he inched forward on wobbly legs to his stall. For the first few days, he shook when he stood. Though three years old, Andy is the size of a yearling.

"I can't believe this animal is alive," commented director Kathy Stevens.

The young stallion was so starved for so long that caretakers were concerned that his body might be shutting down. But a month after his arrival, Andy has gained weight, is able to stand solidly, and walks slowly out to his pasture to graze.

Andy's owner, a breeder from Poughkeepsie, New York, has been arrested and charged with four counts of cruelty. She failed to appear in court for her bond hearing.

Catskill Animal Sanctuary (www.casanctuary.org) is a haven for horses and farm animals in Saugerties, New York. Since its opening in 2001, CAS has saved the lives of 1,100 animals. Director Kathy Stevens is author of the newly released book Where the Blind Horse Sings: Love and Healing at an Animal Sanctuary (www.blindhorsesings.com). CAS is open to the public Saturdays and Sundays through October.

Comment

It seems like a good idea not to let anyone on your property these days with all the work going into seemingly trying to control whether or not people can have animals in the name of 'tracking' livestock. It seems like there are big pushes against dog breeders as well, and while it would be great to shut down the puppy mills, there seem to be other agenda's. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't like the general direction things are heading.

Good luck with the SPCA.

Comment

It would seem like they'd have better things to protect than well cared for broodies. Honestly...tell them to go find all the loose horses people are supposedly abandoning in record numbers due to the hay shortage and do something to help them.

I also have photosensitive horses (lots of bald faces) and I do try to do my best for them, but occasionally they do sunburn. Honestly...that is a bit much!

I agree that editing your post and putting in some paragraphs would help a lot with it's readability.

Comment

WHICH SPCA?

There are hundreds of organizations with "SPCA" in their name.
              Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

It is my general impression that this should not debated publicly since this is an on going litigation. If "Sandy" has been properly caring for her horses, then there should be no further debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny;
                  Sandys problem started with a 3 yr old that was at another place for a while and that place fed a daly wormer. We could never get the weight back on that horse and I wanted to put it down. Sandy said wait a little longer.
                  What did the vet say that came out to see your thin 3 year old? Did he agree with you that euthanasia was the best choice?

Comment

Don't know what to make of Andy

But...

I have been to Sandy's place more than once. I no longer live in the area (moved to VA last year) but I was to Sandy's a few times. I have met Len also. I bought a cute little colt from them when he was a few days old. I have a friend who bought at least three foals from Sandy that I know of. Probably more. The colt I got is now six years old and drop dead gorgeous. He is doing dressage with a nice young girl in South Jersey.

To the point...

Sandy had a lot of horses ranging in age from newborn to geriatric. All were FAT and healthy. I only gave her a moments notice to tell her I was coming to get the colt. She had no time to hide or cover up anything. There was nothing about the place that concerned me. All of the stalls were clean (I went in with most of the horses), all of them had fresh/clean water, all horses had hay in front of them. There was plenty of grain and milk replacer. She personally showed us every horse on the place and told us all about their history/breeding etc..
                    I am a farrier. I worked for a vet on his breeding farm for years. Numerous times we bought colostrum from Sandy to save foals. I've been riding/showing/breeding horses for 30 plus years. While some may not agree with nurse mare farms, that is fine, but honestly people these foals are fed and cared for and all looked great.

Whether you agree with her business or not or whether you like her or not, the fact is the horses all looked great. I'm one for calling a spade a spade and I never saw one thing at her place that concerned me.

I used to work at the local farrier supply. Sandy came in often to purchase various things to treat her horses. She took care of those horses. She spent money on things that the average horse owner wouldn't bother with. I know because I sold the items to her.

Like I said I don't know about the story of the colt. I only know what I saw. I'm not a friend of theirs. They probably don't even remember who I am.

I'm just stating the facts as I saw them.
                    M

Comment

spca

Unfortunately the day after my Freestyle mare delivered her Jazz colt 6/24/07 We had to make a mad dash to New Bolton for Colic surgery. We were encouraged to take little Johnny home with us. We tried bottle feeding him with little success, We did somewhat better with the bucket every hour and a half!. Still we had ulser and colic symtoms. A friend heard about Sandy and her nurse mares. One call, and she was down here in Pennsylvania the next day!! Velvet was a life saver. She arrived in great condition, sporting a glossy black coat, Last year she was at a Md. Thoroughbred farm, and the year before it was Hilltop Farm. Johnny loves her. We even had them both at Devon! She is still here with me until it is time to wean him.. I have retired horses here, and know how some of these older guys are almost imposible to keep weight on. I sure hope that I don't get any unwanted visitors. It seems to me that there are occasionally some misguided people on a mission to save the worlds creatures. Although an admirable cause, they often don't have the debth of knowledge at the practical level to understand the chalenges of managing a diverse population of horses. I have never been to Sandy's farm, but I can atest to the good health and physical condition of the mare that she delivered to my farm. I, and Johnny, are very greatful! BTW Fable is doing well following her surgery.
                      Judy

www.windyridgefarm.com

Comment

It sounds like Sandy may have a PITA neighbor that is encouraging these "investigations."
                        Roseknoll Sporthorses
                        www.roseknoll.net

Comment

A friend got a mare from Sandy as well. She came in fat and happy and was a real - literal - lifesaver. I'm sorry to hear Sandy is having trouble - when people or organizations get an idea into their head it is almost impossible to change it - no matter how much proof you present.
                          Not all who wander are lost.

Comment

Medhorse - are you involved in this matter? If you are you should say so and identify yourself. I found your post to be rather threatening.
                            Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                            "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                              As most of you know, my wife Sandy Has nursemares. Many of you have had the need for her services. She has brought Nursemares to farms all over the northeast. I know many nursemare farms have trouble with SPCA. This is Sandys first time.
                              Lenny, I'm sorry, but you know that's not true and I cannot sit here and let it go. Not everyone agrees with Sandy's viewpoints on how to manage breeding stock. She knows her stuff when it comes to nursemaring and provides a valuable service for many, but there's a LOT of history there when it comes to other aspects.

I strongly suggest you take medhorse's advice and let this go.
                              Sportponies Unlimited
                              Athletic Thoroughbred crosses for the highly motivated, smaller rider.

Comment

I think this thread is probably going to get out of control and agree that it should probably not be discussed here.
                                However, not every person that has horses seized from them is innocent. I worked as an animal cruelty/neglect investigator for several years and I can tell you that it is difficult to get a judge to sign an order to seize an animal. Most judges either have "more important cases" to worry about, or aren't eager to crack down hard on these types of cases (especially for first time incidents). While I'm not taking sides at all I'm just reminding people that investigators working on these cases aren't always "evil, PETA-minded individuals that want to take your animals for fun". How many times on this very board have people moaned about a starved horse they see at a neighbors and wish someone would do something about it? You really can't have it both ways. It sounds like this case is working its way through the judicial system and we should probably just wait and see how it shakes out.
                                Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                                https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

Originally posted by medhorse View Post
                                  Better articulation and spelling would be warranted.
                                  I agree. As illiterate as this post sounds I find the whole thing a bit hard to believe.

Comment

I don't know the people involved in this, but there was a big threat on the Hunting forum a while ago about PETA people catching and putting to death legitimate hunting dogs in Virginia. Dogs that had been in their families for years, were very well taken care of, but were historically turned loose at night to track and kill varmints. They all wore radio tracking collars and ID tags because some of them were relentless in pursuit of varmints and would track them even beyond the range of the radio collars. They way they found out what was happening to these dogs initially was that the PETA people had removed the radio collars from the dogs they captured and ditched them by the side of the road. After finding enough of them they put out surveillance and caught them in the act of catching the dogs, removing the collars and bringing them into the backs of vans. When approached, they were found to have illegal narcotics and were euthanizing the dogs in the back of the vans with NO veterinary supervision. Maybe search the Hunting Forum if some of you don't believe this happens. This is not an endorsement of Len and Sandy as I don't know them and haven't been to their farm, but stuff like this DOES happen. With the blessing of a judge . . . . . ? ? ? ? ? I don't know. Some of these people can talk a really good line!
                                    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
                                    Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

I don't understand... are the links in Tazer's posts related to the OP and their issues?
                                      Originally posted by Martha Drum
                                      ...But I don't want to sit helmetless on my horse while he lies on the ground kicking a ball around without a bridle while Leatherface does an interpretive dance with his chainsaw around us.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken

Originally posted by Joshua's Mom View Post
                                        Unfortunately the day after my Freestyle mare delivered her Jazz colt 6/24/07 We had to make a mad dash to New Bolton for Colic surgery. We were encouraged to take little Johnny home with us. We tried bottle feeding him with little success, We did somewhat better with the bucket every hour and a half!. Still we had ulser and colic symtoms. A friend heard about Sandy and her nurse mares. One call, and she was down here in Pennsylvania the next day!! Velvet was a life saver. She arrived in great condition, sporting a glossy black coat, Last year she was at a Md. Thoroughbred farm, and the year before it was Hilltop Farm. Johnny loves her. We even had them both at Devon! She is still here with me until it is time to wean him.. I have retired horses here, and know how some of these older guys are almost imposible to keep weight on. I sure hope that I don't get any unwanted visitors. It seems to me that there are occasionally some misguided people on a mission to save the worlds creatures. Although an admirable cause, they often don't have the debth of knowledge at the practical level to understand the chalenges of managing a diverse population of horses. I have never been to Sandy's farm, but I can atest to the good health and physical condition of the mare that she delivered to my farm. I, and Johnny, are very greatful! BTW Fable is doing well following her surgery.
                                        I believe Velvet is the dam of the colt I bought. Is she a little solid black appy mare?
                                        M

Comment

Working...
                                        X