• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Color question: what color does a rose grey start?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color question: what color does a rose grey start?

Maybe a dumb question, but what color does a rose grey start out as? A rose grey or do they start out as more of a grey or grey/roan and turn as they grow thru their early years?

I'm curious because I have a coming 4 yo filly that I got in Dec. She came complete with her winter fuzzies. She's a grey roan. However, her muzzle is distinctly rose colored and she has a blush tint to her coat if you look at her just right. I'm wondering if she might shed out to more of a rose color. I know, I know - I'll find out in a couple months when she loses her winter coat. But my curiousity is getting the better of me. What color does a rose grey start out?

Not sure if this helps but I had a gray mare some years ago who was born a chestnut (I got the baby pictures from breeder). Body coat looked regular gray when I got her at 5ish, but her tail had a clear reddish cast to it for a number of years.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

Comment

Ours that went through rose grey stages all started out chestnut or liverish chestnut. Yours will probably look greyer when she sheds out. The ones I've had all went through their rosey stages between 2-3, and by five looked normally grey.

Comment

Rose grey is chestnut greying out. They start chestnut/liver.
        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by crazy gray horse View Post
          Maybe a dumb question, but what color does a rose grey start out as? A rose grey or do they start out as more of a grey or grey/roan and turn as they grow thru their early years?
          Some shade of chestnut. I suppose it's possible for a darker palomino to look rosey, but all the graying palis I've seen get really dark first - seems to be the cream working on that.

I'm curious because I have a coming 4 yo filly that I got in Dec. She came complete with her winter fuzzies. She's a grey roan. However, her muzzle is distinctly rose colored and she has a blush tint to her coat if you look at her just right. I'm wondering if she might shed out to more of a rose color. I know, I know - I'll find out in a couple months when she loses her winter coat. But my curiousity is getting the better of me. What color does a rose grey start out?
          Most likely she was born chestnut. Whether she sheds out more pink, or more white, just depends. Some grays i've seen shed to a darker Summer coat, which then progressively lightens, building a lighter Winter coat, and the next Spring is again darker than Winter but lighter than the Spring before.

Comment

Grey progressively retains pigment in the skin rather than putting it into the coat with each hair shed, so each year a grey adds more white hairs and becomes whiter.

How quickly that progresses and whether dappling also occurs varies widely between individuals. Some may be nearly white as yearlings, while others retain lots of base color until about age 10.

Most horses described as rose grey are on a chestnut/liver (red) base, although I have seen some bays called that even though their manes were darker.

True Roan is a different genetic effect than grey roan and does not fade annually, though the winter coat may be lighter and the head, legs and points usually remain base colored (ask welsh breeders).

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for the great information. Very interesting. I can't wait to see what she looks like when she gets her summer coat in. Her legs are black but her back and bum are very roaned out. And of course there is the blush tint to her coat and her rose colored muzzle.

Comment

If her legs are black (what about mane and tail?) then she may have been a very red bay instead.

Comment

I have both a chesnut going grey and a very red bay going grey---right now the bay is looking to be a rose grey while the chesnut looks---more mottled to my eye (chesnut going grey?). She also has a very large grey patch on the inside of her gaskin that is very different than the rest of her...it looks a bit like a map of Ireland at the moment! My very true seal brown on the other hand is still very very dark charcoal grey---dapple, he is taking his time at age seven. Im thinking he wont be finished turning till he is 9-11. I knew one other seal brown that went grey and at twenty he is still very dark with a very unusual brown muzzle--mealy mouth.
                  Redbud Ranch
                  Check us out on FB

Comment

Any color that isn't black can turn into a rose gray. Bay, chestnut, buckskin, etc.
                    "No, not anything goes, I said no rules!"

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                      If her legs are black (what about mane and tail?) then she may have been a very red bay instead.
                      Our small junior was a blood bay who greyed. Here is a pic of him at 4.

My now four year old is, I think, a blue roan that is greying. He is decidedly BLUE.

My older horse who is now white has a silver dilution which makes him white now - think HiHo Silver "white".

Greying sure is interesting.
                      Attached Files
                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                      ---
                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Both true Rose Greys I have had over a 40 year span were both born Chestnut.

The filly was out of a chestnut mare. She stayed Rose hued her whole life, even when aged an flea bitten it was with chestnut flecks.

The gelding was by a stallion who threw alot of liver chestnuts. He is 4 now and I have no idea what his color is now sold him last year.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpony View Post
                          She also has a very large grey patch on the inside of her gaskin that is very different than the rest of her...it looks a bit like a map of Ireland at the moment!
                          That may be a Blood Mark.

I knew one other seal brown that went grey and at twenty he is still very dark with a very unusual brown muzzle--mealy mouth.
                          Are you sure he was a gray? Extreme Rabicano can make a horse look perpetually graying

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                          Our small junior was a blood bay who greyed. Here is a pic of him at 4.
                          Yep, he's still got the red tint on his butt. I think of "rose gray" as different though - to me, they look pink. So, I suppose it all comes down to pictures, since words don't always convey the same image LOL

My now four year old is, I think, a blue roan that is greying. He is decidedly BLUE.
                          Dinky? Given his QH side, he could have been roan. It's more likely he was black though. They can be blue/purple in the same way that chestnuts can be pink, when they go through the "roaning" stage of gray as opposed to the dappled stage.

My older horse who is now white has a silver dilution which makes him white now - think HiHo Silver "white".
                          I wouldn't be so sure about that Silver isn't very common. What's his breeding? It doesn't even exist in some breeds. Even if he was, and he grayed, the Silver wouldn't be apparent anymore. But some horses do have what's often called the satin gene, which gives them a pearly shimmer. It has to do with the hair shaft being (more) hollow, so light passes through. Think Akhal-Teke

Greying sure is interesting.
                          No kidding! Sometimes it's just really obvious what's going on. But especially when you get a dilute (cream or dun) in the mix, it can start doing some REALLY strange things and make you go WTH?

Comment

My guy started as a dark bay but went through a definite "rose" grey stage and still retains a lot of reddish brown in his coat (I'm expecting him to end up quite fleabitten, and he has a few patches/blood marks going on though he's still too dark for them to be super noticeable. Maybe in the spring )
                            "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

Just for fun, I thought I'd post pics of my grey Dutch mare. She was born a dark chestnut and had a rose grey stage around age two. The photos are in order from youngest to most recent.

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...IMG_0002-1.jpg
                              http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...IMG_0003-1.jpg
                              http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...IMG_0004-1.jpg
                              http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/e...rightside2.jpg

It's funny to see the way her markings change as well as her color. She used to have socks and a stripe!
                              Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
                              Home of EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
                              'Like' us on Facebook

Comment

We had two rose grey fillies this year ... one was bright bay and the other chestnut.

Comment

Here is a really pink horse
                                  http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../Tetrarchs.jpg

Comment

I had a stallion who when I bought him as a foal was chestnut. As a yearling and 2 year old he was rose grey, but by the time of his inspections at 3 1/2 he was a decidedly dark steel blue grey with dapples - you would have sworn he was born black. He is now 9 and nearly white bodied with grey mane/tail/points and will eventually go completely pearlescent white like his dam.

My grey mare (same age) was also born chestnut, went rose grey and has stayed that way for the most part through her gradual lightening and dappling, although she too went through a "blue" phase and now is starting to fleabite in a few places.
                                    Liz
                                    Ainninn House Stud
                                    Irish Draughts and Connemaras
                                    Co. Westmeath, Ireland

Comment

It's not uncommon at all for gray to "blacken" a chestnut

Comment

The junior hunter is definately pink I would love to rename him Think Pink! but I have been overruled on all accounts.

Dinky.. yes, probably a blue roan. Maybe black. He is coming 5 now and his legs are still BLACK as can be and he has hardly greyed at all.

The white horse - it was very obvious when he was young that he had a silver dilution. I'll have to dig out pics sometime to show you. Not so easy to see now that he is old/white/dirty
                                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                        ---
                                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                        X