• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Out-of-the-Box Hunter Sires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out-of-the-Box Hunter Sires

Is anyone using or thinking about using any stallions that are not marketed as hunter stallions on hunter type mares to produce hunters?
    I know of all the usual hunter stallion suspects, and would like to expand my knowledge of possible daddies. I am looking for dressage or jumper stallions with the right movement and jump for a hunter. I know the mare is an important part, but I am just looking for general suggestions.
    Why do you like that particular stallion, and (if you bred to him) did the result turn out like you had hoped?
    Thanks!

Ariadus is one you might want to look at. Very typey, elegant babies with solid conformation and a good jump. And their movement can be flattened out enough so they are not highly offensive to hunter folks. I'd recommend using him only on a quieter mare though.

Pasolongo is one who doesn't get a lot of attention but does very well in the ring.

Another new stallion that is quickly becoming one of my personal favorites is Cobra One. I bred one mare to him this year after seeing him in person. Strong conformation. Great jump. Exceptional temperament. Drop dead gorgeous and super flashy. Dam sire is Carano (the sire of Derby horse Rumba). He's not a hunter per se, but on a hunter mare, he could be very interesting.

In general, you may want to look at any A-line Holsteiners. Not that they'll all fit the hunter type, but it's a good place to start.
    www.avenir-farm.com

Comment

I really, really like Dacaprio as an out-of-the-box stallion. I have not bred to him yet but the kids I know of that are in the hunter ring are fancy, fancy, fancy. I have also seen pictures & video of some fancy Fabuleux foals but I don't know of any in the hunter ring yet. He may not be so out of the box given his pedigree but neither are really marketed as hunter stallions. I also think Balou du Rouet could produce a hunter on the right mare.

Comment

Originally posted by baywithchrome2 View Post
        Ariadus is one you might want to look at. Very typey, elegant babies with solid conformation and a good jump. And their movement can be flattened out enough so they are not highly offensive to hunter folks. I'd recommend using him only on a quieter mare though.
        I have a coming 3-year-old Ariadus gelding running around in the field right now. He goes in for training next month. He's the hack winner for sure...no idea how he'll jump. So far, very quiet and laid back. I'll let you know how it goes...

I didn't breed him - he was my Christmas present this year. I wanted one after seeing several nice hunters by Ariadus and wanted one for myself. Nice amy horses, in my opinion.

Comment

Other than for fun, there isn't much reason to think "out of the box," is there?

Hunter people don't buy based on pedigree (unless it's for babies in the HB, and then only if they are really 'into it')--they wait to see them get those knees up, and even THEN, they wait to make sure of the temperaments.

And even THEN, they want them up and running, with a record. They aren't into taking risks.

So...

How far out of the box can you get with that?

Comment

We do this all the time, trying to find stallions via frozen or that aren't often considered that could produce the traits we want. Obviously in Germany no one is ever breeding for hunters, yet many of our best ones have come from there.

It's true that hunter folks aren't into taking risks. So we're doing it for them.

I agree with spacely and have seen offspring by Dacaprio that look geared for the hunters, and Balou du Rouet - take a look at the new stallion Amazing, out of a Voltaire mare, very hunter type. Also, Royal Prince, Fabuleux, Harvard, Widmark, Anhaltiner E, Autocrat, Rubignon, Furst Impression, Rubin Royal, Ruiz Soler, Contucci, Rosenthal, Davignport, Riccione and yes, even Quaterback - to name a few stallions that aren't marketed necessarily for the hunters if ever at all - that have been suited to the hunter ring in type and movement at least (some evaluating as foals, some as adults u/s). Of course the mare always matters so you need a mare with jump for some of these.

The point is, stallion doesn't have to be marketed as a hunter stallion to be able to produce the traits that make a great hunter (again, see Germany... LOL). While I love the jump of the Holsteiner stallions, I just can't deal with the movement of many of them as far as hopes of producing hunters.

We have bred to Donatelli (sadly now deceased of course) several times and gotten very nice hunter type offspring, none quite old enough yet to be riding but one born 2008 was this past year 5th in the country and Champion Zone 2 in the Yearling Hunter Breeding - undefeated every time out - at least. So we'll see how that notion paid off in the next couple years. It's just too bad you have to wait so long to see how they really turn out!
            Signature Sporthorses
            www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

Agree, many of the top hunters in this country are bought in Europe where they were not bred for the hunter ring.

I bred Joy (Jupiter) to Chacco Blue. Joy was the hack winner (over 70 horses at WEF) and I think the baby will be fantastic for the hunter ring. I also have a Noble Champion mare that is a cute mover and jumper. Her dam was an International Jumper and a nice mover.
              As is our confidence, so is our capacity. ~W. Hazlitt

Gift Hill Farm

Comment

You just never know...

I bred my very dressage moving, jumper mare (by Calando I out of a Lord Incipit mare) to Ciceras Icewater and so far, the resulting filly has been a hunter mover.

Don't know where that came from!!!

She jumps well, so my hopes of an AO jumper for me should be realized as long as she grows tall enough. I'm hoping for 16.1. Video below is her as a long 2YO Nov 09. (May 2007 girl)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzk1cBEogdc

(never posted from You Tube before...if the link doesn't work let me know!)
                Last edited by Therese; Jan. 17, 2010, 12:13 PM. Reason: forgot details
                - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Comment

Stedinger
                  Samba Hit
                  Roseknoll Sporthorses
                  www.roseknoll.net

Comment

Therese- NICE!!!

Comment

Sea Accounts might be one to take a look at, especially if you could use some blood. The first two offspring to hit the show ring have done so in the hunter ring. One was champion at his first recognized show, winning all his classes! The other was reserve at her first show. She was bought as a GP jumper prospect, but has hunter movement and jump so is starting there.

There are 3 or 4 others who should be in the hunter ring later this year with a some others starting eventing careers.

Sea Accounts have evented through Prelim and will be showing 4th level dressage this year.

As an added benefit, all the reports I'm getting rave about their minds, athleticism and how ridiculously easy they have been to start. One of the coming 4 y.o.s spent the fall hunting in VA.
                      www.debracysporthorses.com
                      Home of Sea Accounts xx
                      AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                      "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

Originally posted by monami View Post
                        Therese- NICE!!!
                        Ditto!
                        Tracy Geller
                        www.sixpoundfarm.com
                        Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Ditto for me also. What a nice filly.
                          www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Comment

Same! Love the upward mobility in the shoulder and use of the neck, to get that with the flat knee is very tough! Super nice.
                            Signature Sporthorses

Comment

Apiro

I don't think he was bred to be a hunter but he is doing well in the hunter ring from what I can remember folks saying.......and he is absolutely beautiful. Barbara can help you with any other info. If I had a hunter mare that is who I would use.

Comment

Originally posted by monami View Post
                                Therese- NICE!!!
                                Ditto. Absolutely lovely.

Apiro I don't think he was bred to be a hunter but he is doing well in the hunter ring from what I can remember folks saying.......and he is absolutely beautiful. Barbara can help you with any other info. If I had a hunter mare that is who I would use.
                                He is marketed as a hunter sire. The OP's wants to know who isn't marketed to the hunters but can/has produced hunters.

Comment

Therese - what a lovely horse!!!!

but here's the thing - you put together two jumper bred bloodlines, and the stallion a holsteiner - proving the point that jumper breds put to the right mare produce "hunters" if the collision of DNA is just right. If you look down the top hunter sire list at USEF - predominance of holsteinters - all with jumper pedigrees. So it is very likely the mare that makes a difference. So go to the USEF list - one can find many "out of the box" stallions right at the top.

Again, Therese, nice nice horse!
                                  "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Comment

I have seen several VERY nice hunters at HITS Ocala the past 2 years by Rubin Royal. And we have a few breeders that use him for hunter breeding; 1 breeder that comes down here from Canada, another from NE, and one in Texas. That's kinda out of the box..... except that the "R" line (Rubinstein in particular) are no surprise as nice hunters , with their pleasant temperament and soft, eacy way of moving without a lot of knee.

Comment

JY - I would love to know the marelines:

here is a video of RR -
                                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpLprT2Vsg
                                      He is strongly promoted as a dressage stallion.

Of interest is that Akzent (not sure if I or II) shows up in some of the top hunter lines - Akzent is on the mareline side of the equation for RR.
                                      "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I think Zami is kinda special, but I'll admit I'm biased.

Her mom, Kalinka was jumper/jumper/dressage bred, Calando I on top, and Lord Incipit/Fernando mare. Solid Holsteiner.

Fabulous jump, but lots of knee. Had a bit of a problem in combinations because she would rather compress than extend. Dressage came easy for her too.

I was breeding for an AO Jumper, but we'll at least start Zami in hunters. My friend Diane would hunt me down if I didn't!

I don't think someone breeding for hunters could go wrong breeding to many of the proven Holsteiner jumper stallions. If you find one with the jump that you like, that's pretty hereditary. The mind is what you'll have to look for. Zami is a bit hot (her mom was a mare's mare!), but has that lovely long canter, and has been very mellow about jumping and work in hand. We'll see what she does under saddle in the spring.
                                        - Therese

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                                        X