• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Grey Arabian Stallion what do you think of him?(Pedigree)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Arabian Stallion what do you think of him?(Pedigree)

There is an arabian stallion for sale in my area. I'm not sure of his breeding but he is a double Red Tape grandson registered name SA Pzephyr E. They are selling him for $400.00 cheap because they want him to go to a good home. Selling because he is out with another mare and stallion and have trouble keeping weight on him. They say it maybe easyer if he was gelded. This it was it says ...."The reason we are selling him is that he is very difficult to keep weight on living with the mare and stallion. He should probably be gelded to get him at proper weight."
    Also he has only been ridden 12 times and he is to small for the owner to ride(14.1). Apparently a fabulous mover was bought as a yearling for $3000.00.

My question is this a great opportunity for me to own a great horse at a great price. I am not an arab breeder and don't know much about what lines to look for? Would probably geld him. Would be looking to do a bit of everything with him, jumping, dressage, western maybe even some barrel racing. Sorry I don't have pictures yet.
    Anything send big red flags up bad, good?

Thanks guys! Still on my never ending search for my horse!

Originally posted by Cavesson View Post
    There is an arabian stallion for sale in my area. I'm not sure of his breeding but he is a double Red Tape grandson registered name SA Pzephyr E. They are selling him for $400.00 cheap because they want him to go to a good home. Selling because he is out with another mare and stallion and have trouble keeping weight on him. They say it maybe easyer if he was gelded. This it was it says ...."The reason we are selling him is that he is very difficult to keep weight on living with the mare and stallion. He should probably be gelded to get him at proper weight."
    Also he has only been ridden 12 times and he is to small for the owner to ride(14.1). Apparently a fabulous mover was bought as a yearling for $3000.00.

My question is this a great opportunity for me to own a great horse at a great price. I am not an arab breeder and don't know much about what lines to look for? Would probably geld him. Would be looking to do a bit of everything with him, jumping, dressage, western maybe even some barrel racing. Sorry I don't have pictures yet.
    Anything send big red flags up bad, good?

Thanks guys! Still on my never ending search for my horse!
    I'm going to sound like a fun-hater. So I apologize in advance. Yes to the red flags. The red flag to me is:
    -The price,
    -They can't keep weight on him (what does being a stallion have to do with that unless they are breeding him a ton or he is a bit nutty--I'm asking honestly. Hard keepers cost alot more over the long run...
    -He's only been ridden 12 times (or are you a trainer--I don't know).

Most expensive horse I ever got (and my first horse--live and learn) was free! Owner was selling it for $0 because she "so wanted a good home."

Purchase price is the absolute cheapest part of owning (almost) any horse. [Man I sound like my dad--I guess we do grow up to be our parents] I mean I've spent well over $400 on my riding horse this month already (and he's pasture boarded in a rural area and I didn't have any vet calls or buy new tack either).

No comment on the pedigree
    DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Cavesson,

I can't find specifics re: his Dam or Sire but I would assume from the SA in his name and being that he is of Red Tape lines, that he was bred by Summit Arabians. You might want to contact them and/or you can find a lot of info about Red Tape on their website @ http://www.summitarabians.com.

I own a Red Tape granddaughter myself and if she is a typical example of these lines then I could not wish to find more in terms of character and temperament. We started together as two greenies, which made for some moments of rough sailing, but we are now currently training second level with some third level moments sprinkled in.

My mare is by the Red Tape son Rouge Mont (there is some video of him on You Tube if you want to see how he moves) and she was selected for a feature on Arabian Sporthorses in the August issue of Practical Horseman. These are sporthorse type Arabians and I know that Red Tape most certainly produced horses capable of competing in dressage.

If you are looking for something versatile than I would share that she, and other Red Tape grandget that I have met are smart, athletic, willing and competitive.

His weight issues could be something simple, could be stress related (especially being that he is obviously not the dominant stallion) and Arabians are generally easy keepers. I would be a little concerned about his size being only 14'1 but if it is a good size for you than I think he would be worth looking into.

Comment

I checked Datasource and he is not registered with the Arabian Horse Assoc.

Probably registered in Canada.
        The Inverted Y
        Thoroughbred and Anglo Arabian Sporthorses
        2005 and 2007 USEF Breeder of the Year.
        www.allanglos.net

Comment

Probably Not A Bargain

More Red Flags.
          I saw Red Tape show on the national level several times; he was a very talented horse in the divisions that he was shown. He was however, a park and formal driving horse; high stepping and hot. I do not remember him being as successful as a sire as he was a show horse.
          I would take pause at buying a horse from someone that keeps two stallions together along with a mare. Pretty poor husbandry.
          I think the BEST THING for this horse is for his breeder to be contacted and perhaps they would buy him back and get him straightened out.
          Free bar.ka and tidy rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by chemteach View Post
            More Red Flags.
            I would take pause at buying a horse from someone that keeps two stallions together along with a mare. Pretty poor husbandry.
            I'm going to disagree with you here. I think a young stallion that has been in regular turnout with other horses (particularly mares and another stallion) will have learned some decent horse socialization skills that are often missing with other young stallions.

But I do think you should investigate the situation thoroughly before making a decision to purchase. As you should with any horse.
            Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

I think the knock on Red Tape as a sire was that he never reproduced himself. The OP is not looking for a park or english pleasure horse. If you are not getting what he was, a hot headed (yet I know that he was also sensible) national quality park horse, you are still getting a great athlete.

Every Red Tape offspring, grandget that I have met myself or have spoken to others about were very sensible, laid back, easy going horses.

Comment

The weight issue could be easily resolved if he's being chased off the feed source by the other stallion/mare and maybe needs to be dewormed. If you can offer him a good home and decent training, go ahead. He probably needs a break - good luck!
                PennyG

Comment

Originally posted by TKR View Post
                  The weight issue could be easily resolved if he's being chased off the feed source by the other stallion/mare and maybe needs to be dewormed. If you can offer him a good home and decent training, go ahead. He probably needs a break - good luck!
                  PennyG
                  This was my thought as well. He could just be not getting enough calories if he is being pastured with an older stallion.

Comment

He is registered with the CAHR

SA PZEPHYR E Registry # 43507
                    Foal Date 03-APR-03

I don't have access to the DB but perhaps someone can look him up?

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone! It would be great if someone could look up his pedigree!

I've contacted the owner but have not gotten a reply yet.

At first the weight thing set a red flag off for me to but then I came to the same conclusion as a few of you. He could very well be on the lower end of the pecking order. The fact that he was turned out with a mare and stallion also set off flags. However being out with other horses is a good thing! Some stallions have no social ability. Perhaps the other stallion has "put him in his place". Not sure how to explain it...not letting him get a big stallion head! If that makes sense at all

Anyway all precautions would be taken if I even get to the point of possibly buying him. I do have training experiance by the way and know what I'm getting into
                      Thanks again! I'll post picture if I get some.

Comment

I've contacted the owner but have not gotten a reply yet.

At first the weight thing set a red flag off for me to but then I came to the same conclusion as a few of you. He could very well be on the lower end of the pecking order. The fact that he was turned out with a mare and stallion also set off flags. However being out with other horses is a good thing! Some stallions have no social ability. Perhaps the other stallion has "put him in his place". Not sure how to explain it...not letting him get a big stallion head! If that makes sense at all

Anyway all precautions would be taken if I even get to the point of possibly buying him. I do have training experiance by the way and know what I'm getting into
                        Thanks again! I'll post picture if I get some.
                        Sorry, I totally missed the part in your first post about who he was turned out with when I made my comments...

Please do post pics.
                        DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

IMO, it's pretty bizarre management putting 1 mare and 2 stallions together. Sounds like a very stressful situation for this boy. There is no such thing as a free/cheap horse, but the weight issue could possibly be dealt with by a better pasture arrangement, worming/teeth check/ulcer check, for starters.
                          http://www.selahwaysporthorses.com/

Comment

I dont' disagree with turning stallions out with other horses, but I do think it is absolutely an accident waiting to happen to do it in a mixed herd environment, UNLESS the 2nd is still young (aka stallion in mare/foal situation).

Stallion with other stallion/geldings, fine. Stallion with bred mares (or if they are breeding, mares) fine......mixing, oiy that is just a recipe for disaster. In the wild the boys are driven into batchellor herds by the boss stallion, where does this guy have to go? Or - we are assuming he is the bottom of the pack horse, he MAY be the boss stud out in that pasture and the weight issue is from constantly chasing/fighting off the other stud.

Are you looking for an arabian in particular? In this market, I think you could probably find another diamond for a great price without the bizarre owner red flags (and yes, I see several).
                            Celtic Pride Farm
                            www.celticpridefarm.com
                            Become a fan on Facebook!

Comment

I have looked at his pedigree. He's double Red Tape+// (a most wonderful *Bask son), beautiful, extemely athletic and one of the best *Bask sons ever IMO (after the grey, Reign On).

SA PZEPHYR E - CAHR*43507
                              Foal Date: 03 Apr 2003
                              Color: Grey

Sire: SA SILVER SAUTERNES (CAHR *42015) Grey 1999
                              Red Tape+// x SA Valentine

Dam: Redd Susie SA (CAHR*43118) Chestnut 1997
                              Red Tape+// x AMF Debutante

He was bred by Red Tape's owner, Dr. Dianne Stackhouse, who doesn't own junk.

If his size isn't an issue for you, I don't think you can go wrong with this boy at that price. Of course, check him out yourself. But I agree he's being poorly managed. Who in their right mind puts two adult stallions and a mare out together?

Comment

Here's a couple of photos of Red Tape+//:

Confo:
                                http://public.fotki.com/hypoint/arab...tstallion.html

Under saddle:
                                http://public.fotki.com/hypoint/arab...kxdelahar.html

Comment

Working...
                                X