• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sassy, where are you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sassy, where are you?

I thought I would start a new thread where we could get some updates on this poor mare's condition. For those who haven't been following the story on the Suerte thread, Sassy went through one of the most horrible foaling experiences imaginable last Friday. Hopefully, she is still alive and well.

according to the board at Mare Stare, the mare is alive, and the owner adopted orphan foals so she would have a baby or two to mother.

Staying out of the politics, just passing on what I heard.

Comment

I'm equally worried about the next one due up there....

Comment

Owner leaving for the weekend. Nice!! Just what the mare needs.
        Sandy
        www.sugarbrook.com
        hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

Are the foals she "adopted" all fillies?? should I expect to see them in a couple of years in foal to her stallion?

Susan

Comment

Nurse Mare Sassy

Our Sassy whent through a bad dystocia, about 7yrs ago. The vet had to cut the foal out to save Sassy. She is fine today and loves her foals.

Comment

Owner leaving for the weekend. Nice!! Just what the mare needs.
              Oh but, if anything happens, she can call and "walk her" (the MO) through the birth. This is her first mare in foal, all should be well. Per the update on the MS board.

They sure have a terrible time with camera batteries. Three sets have gone bad, thereby preventing ANY pictures from being posted for the board to see.
              Also, per the update.

I feel it, I just have a bad feeling.
              *** 4 More Years ***
              *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

• Original Poster

Anyone visited the MO's website? Seen her bio and the articles written about her with the constant pleas for donations? Why would someone in her physical and financial straits take on the responsibility of breeding and foaling out mares. Something just doesn't smell right over there, and I fear Sassy isn't the only animal paying the price.

Comment

Let alone high risk mares, Lulu. It's so, so scary.
                  Mighty Thoroughbred Clique
                  Racing Enthusiast Clique
                  Careful, you might end up in my novel!

Comment

I wasn't going to jump in here, but after reading the updates on the other board I had to. The mod. from there that keeps stirring things up here asked them to put Sassy on cam for even just a few minutes and they say they can't until maybe tomorrow. She is getting a visit from the vet for some antibiotics because of her diff. foaling (after how many days?) and at least 2 of the foals "adopted" are sick. Lovely. From reading one of the other threads "over there", it seems like people think that we are picking on her because her mare had a problem foaling. They don't get it at all. Someone even defended her by saying that these things happen and she's not like people who knowingly breed horses that have problems like HYPP or LWO. Arrrgghhh!
                    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
                    Proud Closet Canterer!

Comment

The mod. from there that keeps stirring things up here asked them to put Sassy on cam for even just a few minutes and they say they can't until maybe tomorrow.
                      So even the Mods are asking, huh? They've put forward a lot of excuses (multiple sets of dead batteries, depression, exercise, etc, etc, etc) about why not a soul has seen Sassy or the foals. I feel a really good "story" is on its way from "over there". Vet coming out, (riiiiggghhhht), maybe he'll find an incurable, painful reason why Sassy is no more.

I would like nothing better than to eat humble pie, and have to apologize for my evil, suspicious thoughts.
                      *** 4 More Years ***
                      *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

Geez, I can't blame them for not putting Sassy back on Cam, given the amount of Monday-morning-quarter-backing and general snarliness the owner was subjected to re: the foaling.

It may well be that Sassy should not have been bred due to her history but I for one do not have enough background info to say that and think many others are way too quick to judge, and judge harshly, which does nothing to help a difficult situation.

Comment

re: the foaling.
                          It was mostly about her ongoing "updates", BEFORE the foaling process. Just as these current "updates" have people saying WTF.

If you go over there you WILL NOT find any of the questions, suggestions that were put to her. They have done some heavy editing over there, which of course will change ones perception of the situation.
                          *** 4 More Years ***
                          *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

• Original Poster

I have been banned from the MareStare boards so I appreciate the updates from over there. I too am awaiting Brownie's delivery with great trepidation.

Comment

Originally posted by A. P. View Post
                              Geez, I can't blame them for not putting Sassy back on Cam, given the amount of Monday-morning-quarter-backing and general snarliness the owner was subjected to re: the foaling.

It may well be that Sassy should not have been bred due to her history but I for one do not have enough background info to say that and think many others are way too quick to judge, and judge harshly, which does nothing to help a difficult situation.
                              I hear you and if I had not watched the drama unfold in all its gory length (into the night here) I MAY agree with you but the horrid birth with the dead foal at the end was just the seemingly almost inevitable result of a catalogue of desasters and bad judgment calls and it shook me to the core. Had I not watched with two friends (via skype) I think I would not have slept that night.

YES things go wrong and where there is lifestock there will be deadstock but the fact that the whole situation could and SHOULD have been avoided made it very hard to stomach.

SURE we could have looked away and watched "Desperate Housewives" instead but the end result would have been the same.
                              I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
                              Figiel

Comment

I would also love to know that sweet sweet Sassy is OK. I didn't judge what happened on "that" day. THAT day was not the issue. Sure, it was horrible to watch but like a train wreck, watch I did. However, if the mare was taken to OSU as the MO admitted days before her vets advised her to do, then it wouldn't be an issue. If the mare, known to be in foal with twins at 6 months (and the wording was STILL with twins at 6 months meaning they knew BEFORE 6 months she was carrying twins, was a twin herself, had already foaled out twins that died, etc) had been properly dealt with by either aborting the pregnancy or removing a twin (I am NOT a breeder and don't know what is or isn't possible in that case but something could be done for the safety of the mare-that I am sure of) then it wouldn't be an issue.

The problem we have all had is that the MO admitted things in public about the mare, about what she was told to do by the vets, etc but had excuses like "Sassy was mistreated before I bought her so she'd be nervous at OSU and I don't want to stress her out" and "now the weather is too bad so I can't take her" and in general just kept putting off what the vets said-for whatever her reasons. That meant poor sweet Sassy had to go through 3 hours or more of more arms than I care to count going in and out of her to try and removed a mumified foal and foal that was alive until they fought for too many hours and the foal suffocated due to dystocia. Oh, and another thing. She was given banamine, over a fairly long period of time, while they were trying to dilate her to ease her pain. I'm not a breeder but I'd think banaime would be a hinderence in the general functions of dilation/contractions/etc.

THEN. This is almost more horrifying than the ordeal Sassy went through. The owner says she's going to have Sassy be a nurse mare. We discussed if that would be good or bad (on CoTH). Many thought the mare needed a break but the knowledgeable breeders here clarified saying even though the mare had high doses of banamine and other drugs, it would be ok and could be beneficial...as long as cleared by her vets. That was fine, we all accepted that.

However, the day before there were pleas for donations to cover vets costs for "that" day. Many on marestare.com were offering all kinds of money and assistance. What does the MO do? She doesn't come home with a foal for Sassy. She doesn't come home with two to take the place of the twins Sassy lost. She comes home with 5! Count 'em 5! orphan foals. What on earth?! Ok. She wants to give them a home. That's great, I think all of us horse lovers can understand the desire to give every living pony a home. However, she has no money for vet bills for a mare that she put in great danger by basically ignoring the vets advice to get the high risk mare to a clinic but she can afford to adopt 5 orphan foals!!??!! She stated she planned on letting Sassy have 2 of them since she woulda had twins anyway.

Is judging her harshly wrong? Maybe since we don't reallly know all the details but seriously - how can anyone defend her? They don't have to crucify her I guess but defending isn't an option either. How many times have CoTHers come together and given money for a good cause? I have seen so much good go to those that need it soooo badly. I can't imagine giving money to someone from here and finding out info such as that.

I just hope Sassy is ok. I am tempted to go visit since the MO has said it's ok. I will be in OH April 12-15 for Equine Affaire. I'm going to be visiting family in Fairborn after that. I might just have to find my way to Wapakoneta!
                                Lord Stanely, Lord Stanley - come back to Pittsburgh!!!
                                http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/2_tbs
                                *** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB***

Comment

Well, I kept my mouth shut over on the Suerte thread becasue that is her thread. However, I can't keep my mouth shut any more. Something is not quite right. I did not watch Sassy's foaling because I was out of town but I knew it would not turn out good. I did however read every post made during and after the foaling. The red flags started going off in my head from the first post about the mare. That mare should have been at OSU or where ever they were going to take her the minute she was showing signs she was getting ready. Like a week before it even occured. With suspected twins you do not take risks. It is not a wait and see situation, especially with her foaling history. And many people are right, she probably should not have been bred. From the take I got the mare was bred to her owners Andy stallion. Which I think she said in her first post on the MS message boards. Why breed a TWH and an Andy? Fine if you want to breed funky crosses, but don't let me see them end up at the local auction. I am also curious to see Sassy and said foals. How hard is it to snap a pic?
                                  As far as Brownie, this could be another scary one. I hope not, but I don't have a good feeling about it. I have been following the updates on her as I am not banned from the site, not signed up even. So if you want updates I can look. The mare is a rescue mare from the Humane Society. Now I thought that there were/are breeding stipulations on adopted horses from there. Has this changed? Now maybe she was preggers when adopted but I have a feeling she was not. I also have a feeling, now this is purely speculation and I may be totally wrong so correct me if you know otherwise, that she was bred to friends andy stallion. And IF she was, that is just wrong. Like I said, this is all speculation and someone is more than welcome to step up with the truth/facts.
                                  And five foals Why not just one maybe two so that you can be sure you are going to be successful in raising them. And only to re-sell them? If I was the rescue I would have said no. And now they are wanting to go back and get more?
                                  Okay I have said my peace.
                                  There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
                                  ~Author Unknown

Comment

now this is purely speculation and I may be totally wrong so correct me if you know otherwise
                                    You are not the only one with questions/suspicions. I've been smelling something not so rosy for almost a week about this. As I said previously, If SOMETHING happened to this mare, I just can't see the MO admitting it.

Now they say the vet is coming out to give her antibiotics. Almost a week later?? I would have hoped they would have administered something THAT night, when the vet was there. Maybe this is a second shot.

Like I said before, I feel a "story" in the making. I hope I am wrong.
                                    *** 4 More Years ***
                                    *** 4 More Years ***

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't want this to come off as insensitive, because I certainly applaud anyone who overcomes physical adversity in their life, BUT something just doesn't add up here. How could a woman with so many apparent ailments even consider the rigorous challenge of foaling out mares, especially one with twins. I mean, doesn't this woman claim to be partially paralyzed? Seeing her on camera, with her arms inside her horse, I no longer know what to believe.

Last week, this young woman lured many of us into her drama, playing the victim with a barnful of victimized horses. She asked us to watch Sassy so she could sleep. She updated us with increasingly dire predictions, confused us with contradictory medical reports, then oddly, seemed almost nonchalant when Sassy seemed to be going into labor. Her last post was full of "LOLs" as she joked about how she'd have to deliver the foals all by herself because no one else was around.

There are many other MOs with cameras who may do things differently from the breeders here, but I don't see any of them inviting viewers into their personal drama quite the way Sassy's owner did. For the sake of the horses at this facility, I truly hope I'm just seeing the glass half empty, but when I tuned into Brownie's camera, through that same chain-link fence, with the same pink bucket, it gave me a very bad feeling.

Comment

I completely agree Lulu. It is story after story. What is the truth and what is not is anybody's guess. I do hope that the real story will be told at some point. All I have to say is that sometimes karma can be nasty.

Originally posted by Lulu View Post
                                        I don't want this to come off as insensitive, because I certainly applaud anyone who overcomes physical adversity in their life, BUT something just doesn't add up here. How could a woman with so many apparent ailments even consider the rigorous challenge of foaling out mares, especially one with twins. I mean, doesn't this woman claim to be partially paralyzed? Seeing her on camera, with her arms inside her horse, I no longer know what to believe.

Last week, this young woman lured many of us into her drama, playing the victim with a barnful of victimized horses. She asked us to watch Sassy so she could sleep. She updated us with increasingly dire predictions, confused us with contradictory medical reports, then oddly, seemed almost nonchalant when Sassy seemed to be going into labor. Her last post was full of "LOLs" as she joked about how she'd have to deliver the foals all by herself because no one else was around.

There are many other MOs with cameras who may do things differently from the breeders here, but I don't see any of them inviting viewers into their personal drama quite the way Sassy's owner did. For the sake of the horses at this facility, I truly hope I'm just seeing the glass half empty, but when I tuned into Brownie's camera, through that same chain-link fence, with the same pink bucket, it gave me a very bad feeling.
                                        There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it.
                                        ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                        X