• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Availability of BN Thoroughbred Stallions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Availability of BN Thoroughbred Stallions

Had an email that the Thoroughbred stallion, Badge is being offered for sale. He is a Grade 1 SW, winning 5 of 12 starts, 2 of those graded stakes, finished 3rd in the Preakness and has a good sire record. He is 4x4 to Bold Ruler, (once thru Raja Baba) in the same place in his pedigree top and bottom, also has My Babu, Buckpasser and Nashua (another cross to Nasrullah) as well as Intentionally (sire of In Reality). He raced until 4 (stakes placed), free of the Mr. P blood. He is 16.1H, chestnut in color, have no idea what the price is and not connected with him. Just a comment since we seem to constantly hear that the BN TB stallions/mares "aren't available" to the sport breeders because of the price tag/stud fee. So here is an example of a stallion that could be procured. He raced at distances from 6F to 1 3/16 miles, has a family of sporthorse connections, etc. I'm sure Viney can give us a more in-depth look at his pedigree.This is just an example of what becomes available frequently because they get spun out for whatever reason. He is not the most commercial bloodlines of the moment, more older lines. It's just a matter of learning the bloodlines and keeping an eye on that market if there is an interest in preserving these for the future, particularly if you know them and have some idea of what you would like to have.
    PennyG

I'm still grieving over Running Stag who got shipped off to Korea because he wasn't doing well fast enough to suit the breeding for selling people. I hope Badge doesn't get sent to Turkey or Korea so his blood will still be available here.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Original Poster

OMG!! I didn't know Running Stag went to Korea -- how sad!! He sure was a nice one -- so many "slip by" that the sporthorse breeders could probably benefit from in a big way, but no one watches that market or makes any contacts. You hear they are "looking" for the next important Thoroughbred stallion for the sportsmarket -- but is that really true? I wonder "who" is looking and where??? The ones that are really "commercial" would not be as interesting as the ones getting sold/shipped that have bloodlines and type that would matter to the sport disciplines moreso than racing, even though they may have raced well and sired winners. I dunno ...

PennyG

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
        I'm still grieving over Running Stag who got shipped off to Korea because he wasn't doing well fast enough to suit the breeding for selling people. I hope Badge doesn't get sent to Turkey or Korea so his blood will still be available here.
        The notion that Running Stag was sold to South Korea because "wasn't doing well fast enough to suit the breeding for selling people" has no basis in fact. He was shipped there this year at the age of 15 after having sired 6 crops of racing age which included only 6 stakes winners. If 6 crops on the track isn't considered to be a fair trial, I don't know what would.

In his last U.S year at stud (2008) he stood in Louisiana and was bred to just 20 mares. You may be grieving over his loss but did you breed to him when he was here? The reason he left is because not enough U.S. breeders showed an interest in using his services.
        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

Originally posted by TKR View Post
          OMG!! I didn't know Running Stag went to Korea -- how sad!! He sure was a nice one -- so many "slip by" that the sporthorse breeders could probably benefit from in a big way, but no one watches that market or makes any contacts. You hear they are "looking" for the next important Thoroughbred stallion for the sportsmarket -- but is that really true? I wonder "who" is looking and where??? The ones that are really "commercial" would not be as interesting as the ones getting sold/shipped that have bloodlines and type that would matter to the sport disciplines moreso than racing, even though they may have raced well and sired winners. I dunno ...

PennyG
          My guess is that European breeders are looking in Europe -- I didn't think many people were looking for sporthorse TB stallions here, which is a real loss.

Comment

1. His stud fee was too high for what he was.
            2. Not having a mare that was of an age to breed killed any thoughts of using him last year.
            3. His connections did absolutely nothing to try and market him to sport horse people.

The latter is part of the reason that the full TB is vanishing in sport. If the TB industry would consider sport horse careers to be as valuable as racing careers for the offspring, then they would support sport horse breeding for full TBs. But they don't. The only stats of any value for TB sires are number of winners, black type, and money won in racing.

Comment

• Original Poster

That's true -- the sporthorse "stats" are pretty fragmented or unavailable to do the stallions much good and if they aren't racing stats they don't really feel it's useful. IN addition, what I *think* is detrimental in a huge way is that there is no AI for JC registration. So, these guys don't have any setup for that and probably fear repercussions from the JC if they did (suspecting they were AI'ing TB mares and sending in registration papers). So, it's really unfortunate when so many of these very useful stallions could be used in a different market to generate income. It's really a shame the two markets are so walled off from one another -- I don't think alot of the farms standing TB stallions know anything about the sports market or that it could be useful to them. They need a seminar or something!
              PennyG

Comment

What's so sad about Running Stag is that he sired very durable race horses, who may not have been stakes quality, but earned a whale of a lot of money. He himself didn't hit his racing stride until he was 4 or 5, got better every year, raced till seven, I think. His progeny earning records show more than just a couple with 300k, 400k and over life time earnings to date. The number with well over 100k is significant. Or it is to me.

He was slow maturing and comes from slow maturing and stamina lines. That's just not popular in today's racing; and the lack of popularity is definitely having an impact on the American TB.

I hope he doesn't end up as steak in a Korean restaurant.

Penny, I totally agree with you about the perception of AI in the racing world. If only there were a registry for AI TBs who were bred to be sporthorses.

Comment

• Original Poster

You know, if someone had an interest and "deep pockets"a full page ad in The Blood Horse or Thoroughbred Times citing the many pros to using an appropriate Thoroughbred stallion in the sportsmarket might get some attention. Filling the book on a stallion and generating income has to be a primary consideration even if they don't race.
                  PennyG

Comment

Penny -
                    The problem comes from the fact that for most of the TB world those deep pockets are firmly entrenched in the racing world it seems. And the JC's stance on AI-ing is very much a deterent as well for some sport horse breeders, and for those standing TB stallions. They make it just about feel like we have to stand live cover only or risk a 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) closer look by the JC to "make sure" we aren't AI-ing our TB mares as well.

I'm just starting to "play" with breeding my own for multi-purpose ~> both racing and sport. So we'll see what comes of it. This year put my first 3 foals on the ground out of the 15-year-old senior stallion that I inherited (I love his temperment and the fact that I can easily handle him by myself and know that he 110% respects my space). And I'm looking forward to getting the 3-year-old that came home from the track (uninterested in racing, but man can he free-jump the moon!) under saddle before we decide whether or not to geld him.

But in all honesty we're not out advertising the senior stallion - I want to KNOW what he puts on the ground for myself first. This year I bred 2 of my other mares to him (didn't rebreed the mares that foaled this year), and had 2 outside mares come in to be bred (1 TB, 1 QH). He has no record of his own from an injury and the older gentleman that had him really didn't do anything with him or what few foals he actually had from him (he used his other stallion nearly exclusively).
                    Crayola Posse~ on the bus in Mahognany

Comment

In this day and age of digital cameras, why doesn’t JC start requiring photos of a mating as proof of live cover? If the photos accompanied the registration application, wouldn't they be reassured that JC rules were followed, and therefore less inclined to automatically suspect hanky-panky if a stallion station also provided AI services for the sport horse market?

Comment

Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
                        In this day and age of digital cameras, why doesn’t JC start requiring photos of a mating as proof of live cover? If the photos accompanied the registration application, wouldn't they be reassured that JC rules were followed, and therefore less inclined to automatically suspect hanky-panky if a stallion station also provided AI services for the sport horse market?

I know pretty much nothing about the TB industry, but I think quite a few covers are already recorded by video?
                        Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

Photoshop, anyone? We are long past the day when photographic evidence is trustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                            Photoshop, anyone? We are long past the day when photographic evidence is trustworthy.
                            And a form accompanied by no photos is more trustworthy?

While cheaters will of course always find a way to cheat, requiring photos of the mating would make the cheating a bit more difficult.

I'm all for making cheating as difficult as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
                              I know pretty much nothing about the TB industry, but I think quite a few covers are already recorded by video?
                              But are the videos submitted with registration applications? Or are they done primarily to reassure a mare owner that when she books her mare to Bluegrass Cat for $40,000, that her mare is actually BRED to Bluegrass Cat and not the farm teaser?

Comment

Well at the risk of sounding snarky, the JC doesn't require proof because it doesn't doubt that live cover is happening. That's the rule, it's been the rule for more than a century and it's the way TB breeders breed. They know how to do it, they're set up to do it. It's quick, it's relatively simple, and it's done dozens of times everyday during the breeding season.

I don't actually think the JC would give any thought to a TB stallion breeding non-JC mares by AI. They not only wouldn't be suspicious; they probably wouldn't even notice.
                                www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

But are the videos submitted with registration applications? Or are they done primarily to reassure a mare owner that when she books her mare to Bluegrass Cat for $40,000, that her mare is actually BRED to Bluegrass Cat and not the farm teaser?
                                  The JC does DNA testing now, so if your mare gets bred by the teaser by mistake, you'll find out at registration time.
                                  www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieB View Post
                                    The JC does DNA testing now, so if your mare gets bred by the teaser by mistake, you'll find out at registration time.
                                    Right, I understand that. But then why do people go to the trouble of taping a breeding? If it isn't done for the mare owner, and it is isn't done to send to JC, then what is the point? Is it for the insurance companies in case the breeding goes bad and someone (equine or human) is injured, or - God forbid - killed?

Comment

Remember the big flap about Glitter Please? At least I think it was Glitter Please. Might have been some other TB Palomino stallion. Turns out that one year he was breeding by AI, but his owner was sending in the cover forms saying live cover. I think 5 of his foals got their registration yanked when they were two years old or so. The owner of one of the foals was posting on COTH at the time, which was not too long after I registered.

So in case of questions, video would CYA.

Comment

The places my mares have been, all covers are recorded.

A couple of days ago when we picked up our mares from stud I said to my husband, "It's a pity one of John Magniers daughters wasn't into sporthorses." Mr. Equilibrium says " um, why?"

My reply: " Because breeding at some stage would be a topic and one would have to guess if they had a stud farm, it would be the best sporthorse stud in the world. And they would have some decent TB stallions on the list too."

Love them or hate them, their operation is second to none and you won't see horses cared for better than they are here.

My guess is to have a BN TB used for a sporthorse breeding program, you'd need one of these TB guys to have a keen interest in both. And by keen interest I mean one that knows the pedigrees inside and out of sporthorses and TB lines which jump, event, and do dressage. Then we'd see what we have.

The in training sales at the end of the sesons over here in Europe have huge numbers of colts that could have potential. You will find group winners and black type winners from good families too. Many are young enough to have a second career in sport. But you have to find that person who has the vision, the expertise, and money to back it all up.

Terri
                                        COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X