• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Continental Studbook--New North American Registry Warmblood and Thoroughbred Breeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continental Studbook--New North American Registry Warmblood and Thoroughbred Breeding

May 1, 2009 - A New North American Registry Debuts for Warmblood and Thoroughbred Breeding

The Continental Studbook-- The Right Studbook for North America at the Right Time

Today the Continental Studbook announces its opening as a new registry for North American breeders of Warmbloods and Thoroughbreds for Olympic and hunter sports. The Studbook has been designed from the bottom up to cater to the needs of breeders in North America. Until now, no registry has emerged from a design that is based solely on the challenges of breeding in North America, that is focused on Warmblood and Thoroughbred sport horses and that is dedicated to advancing the interests of North American breeders. The Continental Studbook fills this void with cost effective services, minimal bureaucracy, dedicated North American promotion, open Warmblood breeding policies, focused breeding direction and geographically unlimited travel-free systems.

The Continental Studbook accommodates and promotes the domestic sport horse population descended from Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, North America, Sweden and more. The mare centric Studbook recognizes and promotes outstanding quality, lineage and production while substantially reducing bureaucracy and costs for the breeder. Through constant breeding direction and well designed approval and licensing processes, the Continental Studbook is dedicated to establishing a quality reputation and brand name for North American horses.

The Continental Studbook will be accepting foal registration and mare approval applications starting on Monday, May 11. In the meantime, breeders and horse enthusiasts are invited to explore the Studbook in more detail by visiting the website at www.continentalstudbook.com. Studbook officials are available to answer questions via e-mail, via phone or via discussions on the Continental Studbook forum.

www.continentalstudbook.com
    registrar@continentalstudbook.com

New "Continental Studbook"

Just received the press release announcing the new "Continental Studbook" that purports to solve North American breeders' woes.

My first (and really only) question is "Who?"
    "I always remember you as quite the desk chair contrarian." - APirateLooksAtForty

Comment

where did this come from? and why?
      Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Comment

• Original Poster

Those are two very big questions beyond the scope of a BB. They are addressed in exhaustive detail on the website.

Office - Continental Studbook

Comment

Exactly!! I went to the website and there is NO information on who started this studbook, no actual human names in the Contact section of the website. There were some farm names in a link section, that may provide some clues...

Comment

"Why" is very apparent to people who have been reading threads in this forum for many years on the challenges to breeders on this continent.

At least with three of the registeries that require foals being seen as foals or yearlings or be out of luck for registration, an alternative is worth looking at.

At present there are jurors for these three zig-zagging all over the contentinent to evaluate mares and foals.

And we all know it is just a day in a foal's life. Could be a good day or a bad day. (I know from personal experience ... which is one of many reasons I mostly breed Dutch which does not require foal inspections).

I've invested all of 5-10 minutes looking at the web site of this new organization.

I suspect the organizers are those folks in the links.

Sally
            www.oakhollowstable.blogspot.com

Comment

To take a wild guess, I would say maybe Kathy Stover, because it offers exactly what she has been ranting about all these years.

OTOH, the contact address is in Eugene, Oregon. Who do we know in the PNW that has had a beef against the Euro registries and might want to put something like this together? Doug Spink?

Comment

I feel the same way, I got the email too.

So, are there no inspections? I'm a little confused by the whole thing.
                Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
                Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
                Facebook Page.
                Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Comment

Originally posted by Bent Hickory View Post
                  Just received the press release announcing the new "Continental Studbook" that purports to solve North American breeders' woes.

My first (and really only) question is "Who?"
                  Mine too. I just got the email from them and went to check the Contacts on the website...no info, just a PO box.
                  Kris
                  www.edgewoodmeadowfarm.com
                  Like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/edgewoodmeadowfarm

Comment

Website phone # is Eugene, OR.

Whois for the site is Robert Hickman, Lebanon NJ

Inquiring minds want to know.
                    Mary Lou
                    http://www.homeagainfarm.com

https://www.facebook.com/HomeAgainFarmHanoverians

Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique

Comment

I'd love to know how they came up with their list of approved stallions. I did a quick spot check, and they are missing - among others - Sure Hit and Davidor, both of whom are imported German WB stallions fully approved by The Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society/German Oldenburg Verband.

Comment

It may be the disgruntled stallion owner whose horses were kicked out of RPSI for non compliance with approval directives. Followers of this SO have recently been bashing the SO's current registry, so perhaps this SO is starting their own registry. For fun and PROFIT of course!

Of course I tend to read too many mystery novels
                        http://www.herselffarm.com
                        Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
                        "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Comment

I got the email too and I am in Germany. But my first question was and would be WHO is or are the names behind of this. I do not like that there are no names on the site. It is like wanting to stay anonymous and that does not look good for an Association. But other than that why not if people think this is needed.
                          Gwendolyn
                          http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
                          Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

Comment

I think that (from my 5 minute study)-if your stlalion has been approved by a book that is in the WBSf AND that requires x-rays--your stallion is in the book-they might have missed a few stallion.

It seems like a bit of thought went into it....(or at least smarter folks than me ;-)

Comment

I'm not too concerned about the 'who'

I am concerned about this statement:

"Why does the Studbook reject off-the-track TBs?
                              The Continental Studbook’s highest purpose is promote breeding of horses suitable for the WBFSH tracked Olympic sports of dressage, eventing and show jumping and also for the North American sport of show hunters. Only horses suitable for this purpose are admitted to the registry, and there is no correlation of race performance to these sports. This restriction protects both warmblood breeders and also TB sport horse breeders from marketing and name brand dilution by non-competitive racing animals. The studbook is interested in promoting the likes of Cottage Son, Laudanum and Gem Twist, and it is not interested in unsuitable mares or stallions that have no value in the TB auction market. A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

If the registry is looking to include Hunters they have to realize that some of the best TB hunters have been OTTB race track rejects. If you look at the zone level hunter standing there are many,many TB's high on the point standings. For the most part they are not purpose bred TB's for sport. Instead they are race bred, failed racing 101 and have a new job. Some of the great racing bloodlines have produced superior sport horses. Viney has demonstarted that many times.
                              The mare base here does include many TB's. Many, if not most of the American bred hunters have been WB x TB crosses.
                              Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

A mare and stallion evaluation system has been designed to track and recognize achievements attained in quality, breeding and performance. Based on five key principles of Pedigree, Performance, Phenotype, Physical and Progeny, the voluntary 5P PRODUCTION INDICATOR SYSTEM is designed to be a tool for domestic offspring marketing, breeding decisions, quality recognition, performance data recognition and stallion licensing.
                                PEDIGREE - The Pedigree indicator is an evaluation of the quality of the progenitor horses (both mares and stallions) on both the paternal and maternal side of the pedigree and an evaluation of the quality of the family. The Studbook is looking for mares, stallions and families in the pedigree that have been very successful in upper level sport, that have been successful in producing offspring for upper level sport or that are breeding siblings of the same.
                                PERFORMANCE - This is an easy to understand indicator. The Performance indicator will be awarded to horses achieving certain results at A-rated shows in dressage, eventing, hunters and jumping. The required performance levels will be higher than those of stallion approvals by other registries, and the levels are intended to identify and award horses with successful dedicated competition careers.
                                PHENOTYPE - The criteria of this indicator are under final review, but basically the Studbook is looking for a mare or stallion that has a measurable correct conformation within determined limits, looks like a Thoroughbred or Warmblood sport horse and moves in walk, trot and canter like a sport horse. This indicator cannot be obtained until the mare or stallion is at least three years old. A key goal of this indicator is to generate data for breeders to use as mating tools.
                                PHYSICAL - This indicator is easy to understand. The animal has to be: 1) cleared by a veterinarian that it is grossly free of congenital defects such as parrot mouth, lordosis, etc.; 2) laryngoscoped or lunged with the veterinarian in attendance and be judged free of roaring; and 3) x-ray examined with 12 specified views of its joints to see that it is free, or exhibits only minor occurrences, of congenital orthopedic anomalies such as osteochondritis dessicans, ring bone, etc.
                                PROGENY - This indicator is awarded based on achievements of a horse’s offspring through either performance or other metrics. The metrics include producing offspring performing at high levels of sport, producing offspring achieving Phenotype and Physical indicators and producing offspring licensed as breeding stallions
                                So, it's a Performance Registry for horses who look like TBs or WBs (what exactly do they look like anyway), have performed at some level or produce enough offspring who perform at some level, have 12 xrays taken to prove "soundness", and pass what's basically a PPE by a vet.

Yep, sounds better than the AWS/AWR to me

Comment

We merged the two threads re: this new registry here and tweaked the thread title to include as much of the original info from both as possible.

Thanks,
                                  Mod 1

Comment

Doesn't it have something to do with the NASHF otherwise I don't have a clue in how and why they managed to find me and send a press release my way
                                    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by PineTreeFarm View Post

I guess the OTTBs don't "look like a TB or WB"?

Comment

Originally posted by PineTreeFarm View Post

The Continental Studbook’s highest purpose is promote breeding of horses suitable for the WBFSH tracked Olympic sports of dressage, eventing and show jumping and also for the North American sport of show hunters. Only horses suitable for this purpose are admitted to the registry, and there is no correlation of race performance to these sports. This restriction protects both warmblood breeders and also TB sport horse breeders from marketing and name brand dilution by non-competitive racing animals. The studbook is interested in promoting the likes of Cottage Son, Laudanum and Gem Twist, and it is not interested in unsuitable mares or stallions that have no value in the TB auction market. A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

If the registry is looking to include Hunters they have to realize that some of the best TB hunters have been OTTB race track rejects. If you look at the zone level hunter standing there are many,many TB's high on the point standings. For the most part they are not purpose bred TB's for sport. Instead they are race bred, failed racing 101 and have a new job. Some of the great racing bloodlines have produced superior sport horses. Viney has demonstarted that many times.
                                        The mare base here does include many TB's. Many, if not most of the American bred hunters have been WB x TB crosses.
                                        "A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

Well that will leave out any TB mare that was injured on the track, or one who was not shown due to an injury. The TB X hunters have other good registry options.

Yup, have to agree, just another AWS style with a few restrictions. NO THANKS! Not registering any of my horses with a registry with no humans who will step forward, rather than hide behind a PO box.
                                        http://www.herselffarm.com
                                        Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
                                        "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

Comment

Working...
                                        X