• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Barn blind? Ignorant? Or intentionally misstating?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barn blind? Ignorant? Or intentionally misstating?

Now, I am NOT trying to attack these folks. Don't know them from Adam, but I just saw this ad on Agdirect and couldn't believe my eyes.

They headings say "Excellent halter prospect. Great conformation." Then you look at the photo. OMG! http://buyhorses.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1034042430 What do you think?

Sonesta Farms Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
  • Original Poster

Now, I am NOT trying to attack these folks. Don't know them from Adam, but I just saw this ad on Agdirect and couldn't believe my eyes.

They headings say "Excellent halter prospect. Great conformation." Then you look at the photo. OMG! http://buyhorses.com/scripts/hrsdetl.exe?1034042430 What do you think?

Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Comment

Egad! Barn blind and/or ignorant. If they were intentionally mistating, they wouldn't have put up that photo.

Susan Doner, Little Bull Run Farm. Standing Boleem, Argosy and King's Camelot. www.littlebullrun.com
      www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
      "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
      Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

eeek! Poor little thing!

~ Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once ~
        ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Comment

Well, I wouldn't try to ride him...

Maybe the picture was just taken at an awkward moment (yeah right)

But Them folks is from Bama [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

...and that's why her leg looks like that! Or else she has terrible contracted tendons and is severly over at the knee!

But people who breed quarter horses for halter are looking for something different entirely than someone who breeds horses in general for performance. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with that, but just stating a fact. However, if the breeders/owners of that particular horse think that she has great conformation, they should really consult an expert, like Dr. Deb Bennett...

*****If you can't be a good example,
            at least be a horrible warning*****
            *****If you can\'t be a good example,
            at least be a horrible warning*****

Comment

The dam is also listed for sale with the same legs!! And she is N/H, yeah.. lets breed her. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Six Pound Farm http://www.geocities.com/sixpoundfarm
              Tracy Geller
              www.sixpoundfarm.com
              Find me on Facebook!

Comment

Sigh. Unfortunately, those people are most likely NOT just barn blind. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Apart from the severe over-at-the-knee conformation (usually you find calf knees instead), that is what a lot of "halter" people are looking for. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img] That baby has the "square" build, stick neck, upright pasterns, short humerous, and posty hocks that often win in the AQHA halter world. It potentially could win at halter. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Just look at the foal's dam. Severely over at the knee, poor hock and shoulder angle, absolutely no bone what-so-ever, and standing Grand at shows. Sigh. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Do not even get me STARTED on the hypp n/h issue. Non-symptomatic DOES NOT mean that that horse will not ever show symptoms, or that it is not perfectly capable of throwing offspring which are severely affected. That does not stop people from exclaiming that their horse is non-symptomatic to unedjucated buyers, or those halter breeders who do not care either way.

A great deal of the "world class" halter horses out there would break into little pieces if they were ever subjected to regular riding. If you ever want to have a fun time judging conformation, pick up an AQHA Journal and check out the halter horses. It is sure to be a fun time.

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
                ~R. Graham

God forbid that I should go to any Heaven in which there are no horses.
                ~R. Graham

Comment

• Original Poster

Alagirl, My former inlaws were from Alabama. My father in law was for many years way back when the dean of the journalism department at U of Alabama. He always used to say that he wanted to write a book entitled "Born in Pickens County and Raised Under THEM Conditions." I wish he had. It would have been a hoot.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonesta:
                    Alagirl, My former inlaws were from Alabama. My father in law was for many years way back when the dean of the journalism department at U of Alabama. He always used to say that he wanted to write a book entitled "Born in Pickens County and Raised Under THEM Conditions." I wish he had. It would have been a hoot.

http://www.sonestafarms.com Hanoverian, Knabstrupper & Arabian Sport Horses

"Find something you love & call it work."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that from a native [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
                    Can you imagine, how this transplanted gal from Germany feels at times [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But the kicker was last election, one Al. woman proclaiming that she would not vote for Bush, since didn't bring the Lottery to Alabama [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] (last time I looked, Texas and Bama didn't sound the same...)

&lt;SIGH&gt;

Just wish they had some activities here - or bothered to put the club in the phone book or something. Like they don't want anybody not from around to join them...

Ahhhhhh, Sweet home Alabama...
                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I think halter Quarter Horses look like beef cows.......

~*~Sublime~*~

"One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain."-Bob Marley
                      ~*~Sublime~*~

\"One good thing about music: when it hits you, you feel no pain.\"-Bob Marley

\" You gotta cowboy up, dust yourself off, get back in the saddle give it one more try, sweat and blood it takes all you got cause the rode to heaven is a

Comment

Poor thing is terrible, I feel sorry for it. I don't think it is walking away, sadly it looks like that is the way it stands. She would be good to use in teaching conformation faults. Barn blind and ignorant.

Comment

Like Dunhorse said. Look at the mother.

Dam

Not only could you use a front leg as a boomerang but it honestly looks like a bad photoshop job. Draw a line along the shoulder, and it looks like the head and neck belongs on a horse standing back by the fence.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

It's sad actually. If these were just someone's pets I would NEVER dream of being so critical, but they're presenting them to the public for sale, and for breeding no less. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--- And how did you feel about being denied these Hungry Hippos?
                          ------------------------------
                          Life Goes On

Comment

What is with the front end OY!!!!!!!

Comment

it actually looks like in the dam's picture, her leg is up (you can see the hoof is at an angle in the shadow.) but i agree, the filly has very bad knees

Comment

EEEKKKK
                                Did that say she had the foal when she was a 2 year old?
                                http://community.webshots.com/user/cotswoldjr
                                http://temp.hillcresttrainingnet.off...m/default.aspx
                                [url]
                                Starman Babies

Comment

I think this one beats the picture of the yearling for sale with a little boy (not so little) on it's back.
                                  As bad as the filly looks I believe the mare looks worse conformation wise, not a promising thought what the filly will grow up to look like. It does look like another horses neck and head have been put on that mare, very odd looking. Poor conformation in the hind end and front legs. Sad thing is the price listed for both horses...
                                  Southern Star Sporthorses
                                  Breeders of Danish Knabstruppers and unique coloured Thoroughbred Sporthorses.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisamarie8:
                                    Not only could you use a front leg as a boomerang but it honestly looks like a bad photoshop job. Draw a line along the shoulder, and it looks like the head and neck belongs on a horse standing back by the fence.
                                    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a huge problem with most pictures taken of QH's, particularly (it seems) those of the Halter type. The pictures are taken to make the butt appear as large as possible, and the result is the Incredibly Shrunken Voodoo Head.

Little Indian - yep, the left front leg is off the ground, but the right front definitely has a curve to it that shouldn't be there, especially with the whole weight of the front end on it. Look at the back of the leg and you can see it better.

Comment

Not all beef cattle are built like that!!!!!
                                      At least mine(cattle) do not have contracted tendons in front or non-exsistent hocks(not enough angle to the hocks). And my cows must have shorter necks with some leather(dewlaps) with sheath and level hooks & pins. And solid bone with very good personalities.

But I agree that this filly should never be shown to the public. And why didn't she have check ligament surgery to correct that front leg-- What does the front leg look like?--when she was between 2 months and 3 months. If this is heriditary, ---euthanize the animal or never ever sell it or let it never be seen. It trauma related, still hide it or never sell it. In my opinion, it is the breeeder's responsibilty to cull what does not represent the breed to its highest quality, or make sure it is not reproduced(colts--gelded. fillies--???you decide).

Comment

C'mon, guys! This is the twisted world of the AQHA, where they see nothing wrong with breaking horses at 15 months so they can compete in 2 year old futurities in reining (at 18 months), round-penning them to death, never turning them out, standing them tied in stalls after being worked to a sweat then wrapped in neoprene to shrink them, breeding for size OOO feet on 1500 lb bodies, and requiring that all horses over age 5 show in a curb bit. Oh, I forgot about the steroids to give the beefcake look to the yearlings, and that most of them get navicular by age 7. Did I leave anything out? Oh, yeah, peanut-rolling! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

&gt;&gt; If Noah had been Truly Wise,
                                        He would have swatted Those Two Flies... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] &lt;&lt;

Comment

Working...
                                        X