• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Diarado Foals?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bayhawk- please explain, I don't understand?

Comment

He's commenting on the amount of linebreeding in your foal. The pedigree is here (hope I've got the right mare) and by using Diarado you're concentrating lines that are already strongly represented in your mare, some of which are known for not doubling up successfully. Since she is already so linebred you may find you get even better foals if you use outcross stallions on her, such as Diamant de Semilly if he's still available, and hope that hybrid vigour kicks in as it did with Diarado.

http://sporthorsedata.com/dbtestmati...damid=10559531

Here would be the pedigree of a foal from your mare if you used Diamant. IMHO it looks good on paper but don't know enough about the horses themselves to say whether they are a good match in real life.

http://sporthorsedata.com/dbtestmati...damid=10559531

Comment

well what do you suggest I do with the foal from this year?

Comment

If it looks like a nice one, love it and keep it safe. There was a thread recently about doubling up on some of the lines in your mare. Worth looking for and watching out for in your baby. You may have got lucky and bred a super one. I'm not knocking your choice BTW, just explaining what Bayhawk meant by his post.

Comment

I think Bayhawk’s comments are a reference to the fact that simply because the names in a pedigree are impressive, it doesn’t mean the breeding combination was a good thing. Doubling up can produce all sorts of undesirable outcomes. Here's hoping your foal is lovely... but I tend to agree with stolensilver that Diamant de Semilly might be a better choice.
            Last edited by Cartier; Jul. 26, 2010, 10:36 PM.
            Logres Farm on Facebook
            http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
            http://logresdobermans.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jewels09 View Post
              well what do you suggest I do with the foal from this year?
              Send him to me! I'll hide him for you.
              Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

Comment

okay, I admit I wasn't playing nice. After the arrogance of bayhawks post I decided it would be fun to play naive and stupid and see what the outrageous comments that everyone came up with. I was waiting for the comments on Contenders "being slaughtered in Holstein" and all the experts telling us how unless you "sit at a table and drink coffee with breeders in Holstein you don't know anything"

I apologize for trying to add fuel to the fire, and it is probably good he hasn't taken the bait.

For those of you who don't approve of the breeding we will just have to battle it out at the Hamptons YJC in 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jewels09 View Post
                  okay, I admit I wasn't playing nice. After the arrogance of bayhawks post I decided it would be fun to play naive and stupid and see what the outrageous comments that everyone came up with. I was waiting for the comments on Contenders "being slaughtered in Holstein" and all the experts telling us how unless you "sit at a table and drink coffee with breeders in Holstein you don't know anything"

I apologize for trying to add fuel to the fire, and it is probably good he hasn't taken the bait.

For those of you who don't approve of the breeding we will just have to battle it out at the Hamptons YJC in 2015
                  a fascinating admission. somewhat sad.

i have two doing the yjc at the hamptons this year and possibly a third. all three of these individuals and their mothers have been successfully bred with bayhawk's assistance and input.

y'all enjoy being indignant about the messenger. i hope you aren't missing the message.
                  Hidden Pearl Farm

Comment

Originally posted by ne1 View Post
                    a fascinating admission. somewhat sad.

i have two doing the yjc at the hamptons this year and possibly a third. all three of these individuals and their mothers have been successfully bred with bayhawk's assistance and input.

y'all enjoy being indignant about the messenger. i hope you aren't missing the message.
                    I am sure your horses are fabulous, NE, as are Bayhawk's, but I have seen a number of the horses Jewels09 has and they are excellent as well. I don't think you guys have such terribly different ideals, or even experiences perhaps.

One must admit that the post "Did anyone even look at the pedigree before doing the insemination" is a bit inflammatory, as opposed to maybe "I would be careful about how much xyz you use in the pedigree, but glad you got a nice foal this year". One is full or derision, the other intends to educate.

Those of you with such strong sentiments as "messengers" might do well to phrase your messages as educational rather than accusatory, belittling and patronizing as they generally come across. Then maybe the message would be heard by more people.

JMHO.
                    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

Comment

Not sure if Bayhawk was harsh or just "on point" (possibly more of the former than the latter, but it's a matter of perspective). True, his comment was strong, given that the foal is already on the ground, but that is his way; he doesn’t mince words. Overall we value his input on this forum and finds his posts well worth reading. Unlike so many who post here, his contributions are not centered on constantly pimping his (or his friend’s) horses… but rather on a breeding strategy that he values.. that has proven to be successful. I can’t recall him ever posting simply to inflame a situation.
                      Logres Farm on Facebook

Comment

Thank you Cartier and Nick.

Jewels......why would you try and bait me into a situation to make yourself look even more uneducated ? I am very educated about the Holsteiner and this breeding. These horses are right in my wheelhouse. Like Nick said , your admission is sad.

You don't have to know about inbred horses going to the butcher or sit at the coffee tables of famous breeders to know that you shouldn't breed a stallion by Diamant / Corrado / Contender to a mare by Cassini / Corrado / Contender. Why would you do this ?

We do agree on one thing , the only hope for this animal is the show ring. This is the only place the terrible pedigree (yes, it's terrible) won't matter. Maybe I should retract that seeing as it may matter yet , as we don't know if this horse will even be sane or not under the rider or what crazy physical or mental quirks it may have due to the very heavy, close inbreeding.

In my opinion , this breeding is absolutely ridiculous. Harsh words ? Yep ! I think they are well deserved. There.......I took the bait.
                        Last edited by Bayhawk; Jul. 27, 2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

I'm always willing to learn and would love to know why you chose to do that cross Jewels when you knew how much close linebreeding it would produce. I know linebreeding can be very successful, a modern example is the Trakehner stallion Irdenkreis
                          http://sporthorsedata.com/d?z=7v-Uyo...nkreis&x=0&y=0

but the big difference between his pedigree and that of your foal is that he is linebred to as many mares as he is stallions and most of those mares are true greats of the breed. Your foal is only linebred to stallions some of whom are known for producing problems when doubled up.

I don't understand your rationale but you sound as if you have one. Please can you explain why you chose Diarado for that mare in particular? I'd really like to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartier View Post
                            Not sure if Bayhawk was harsh or just "on point" (possibly more of the former than the latter, but it's a matter of perspective). True, his comment was strong, given that the foal is already on the ground, but that is his way; he doesn’t mince words. Overall we value his input on this forum and finds his posts well worth reading. Unlike so many who post here, his contributions are not centered on constantly pimping his (or his friend’s) horses… but rather on a breeding strategy that he values.. that has proven to be successful. I can’t recall him ever posting simply to inflame a situation.
                            I totally agree that Bayhawk has excellent information to add, as does ne1, but that sometimes the information can be lost in the delivery. Not everyone is as educated or experienced so sometimes the posts, to my eyes, can come across as patronizing or inconsiderate. If it were my foal, I am not sure what I would have learned so far, other than to have my feelings hurt about a baby I have. That is my only point. There are a lot of people who are trying to breed good horses and who WANT to learn, and that is why we are on here.

I agree it is a lot of doubling up in the pedigree, but who knows, maybe it will work for this individual horse.

Comment

From Jewel's posts it sounds as if they are an educated breeder and that's why I'd love them to post why they made that stallion choice for their mare. It is unusual and it does double up on a lot of horses in the mare's pedigree and I'd really genuinely like to learn why the decision was made.

Comment

Jewels -by chance are you involved with Cubito?

For some reason I thought you were involved with that farm--if so --what a lovely contender son-- his latest jump pictures are WOW.

(My apologizes if I got that wrong....I think I remember you mentioning a nice Last News mare - not many of those around--hence the confusion on my part.)

Comment

Originally posted by buschkn View Post
                                  I totally agree that Bayhawk has excellent information to add, as does ne1, but that sometimes the information can be lost in the delivery. Not everyone is as educated or experienced so sometimes the posts, to my eyes, can come across as patronizing or inconsiderate. If it were my foal, I am not sure what I would have learned so far, other than to have my feelings hurt about a baby I have. That is my only point. There are a lot of people who are trying to breed good horses and who WANT to learn, and that is why we are on here.

I agree it is a lot of doubling up in the pedigree, but who knows, maybe it will work for this individual horse.
                                  You know , you may be right. It's never my intent to patronize or belittle , nor is it my intent to sugar coat, so naturally there may be issues with the delivery.

I posed what I thought was a good question. "Did anybody even look at the pedigree " ? It's the same as me coming on here saying I bred my Cassini II / Lavaletto / Acord II mare to a stallion by Corrado / Lavaletto / Acord II. This is lunacy.

Her foal is not only triple Capitol , double Contender and double Corrado in the first 4 generations , it also has 10 million crosses to Ramzes and 5 to Corde la bryere a little ways back . This baby is severely inbred and I feel sorry for it.

Comment

there is the difference being the sire of the foal is 1/2 total outcross (or half bred so to speak).

Comment

Originally posted by buschkn View Post

I am up with a puppy... who is in the process of being housebroken... and when she says she "has to go" ... I get going. just saw this. I guess we come from different perspectives on this topic. To back up, if I am asking my husband if a pair of jeans makes me look fat, I may want things sugar-coated a bit … but in the context of making breeding decisions, sugar-coating has no place. Whether it be the Dobermans or the horses, as breeders we (universal we), are making choices that impact living creatures and those who own them, for years into the future. Ultimately we are talking about future owners time and money… and the quality of life for the horse being produced. Breeders need to be 100% objective, they need to be cautious about breeding choices, especially when the pedigrees start to get close, and they need to be responsible for the decisions they make for the life of the animal. I am not suggesting that breeders be swayed by every opinion whizzing past, but objective comments from knowledgeable breeders (like Bayhawk) should not be crippling.

Breeders need more than a deep pocket book and balls of brass… they need a bit of well-reasoned caution, if only for the sake of the quality of life of the animal they produce. Just my thoughts...
                                      Logres Farm on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Cartier View Post
                                        I am up with a puppy... who is in the process of being housebroken... and when she says she "has to go" ... I get going. just saw this. I guess we come from different perspectives on this topic. To back up, if I am asking my husband if a pair of jeans makes me look fat, I may want things sugar-coated a bit … but in the context of making breeding decisions, sugar-coating has no place. Whether it be the Dobermans or the horses, as breeders we (universal we), are making choices that impact living creatures and those who own them, for years into the future. Ultimately we are talking about future owners time and money… and the quality of life for the horse being produced. Breeders need to be 100% objective, they need to be cautious about breeding choices, especially when the pedigrees start to get close, and they need to be responsible for the decisions they make for the life of the animal. I am not suggesting that breeders be swayed by every opinion whizzing past, but objective comments from knowledgeable breeders (like Bayhawk) should not be crippling.

Breeders need more than a deep pocket book and balls of brass… they need a bit of well-reasoned caution, if only for the sake of the quality of life of the animal they produce. Just my thoughts...
                                        Also good points/thoughts. I am not suggesting that it be sugar coated AT ALL, which perhaps is not coming across. I agree that objectivity is very important when making these decisions about creating new life.

There are a thousand ways to say the same thing. Heck, you can say the exact same sentence five different ways with five different intonations and five different meanings. I didn't mean to start a debate on semantics, just that sometimes the message may be lost in the delivery, as Bayhawk so nicely put it.

For example, I do not breed Holsteiners, but since I own and am now also breeding jumpers, naturally I have plenty of Holsteiner blood floating around here. Rather than having posts that say "Are you crazy?" is essence, it would be more helpful for me to hear WHY it is a bad idea to double up on certain lines, etc. Perhpas the assumption is that EVERYONE knows not to double Capitol, or Corrado, or Contender, or Accord II, or ... but I am one who does not necessarily know all these "facts", and more importantly the WHYS of them.

I hear a lot of absolutes thrown around but I often don't get solid answers about WHY that is the case. That is what is important to me, and I am more inclined to learn and remember that, than just a series of arbitrary rules of do's and don'ts, if that makes sense.

So I apologize if you thought I want people to always be spreading sunshine and roses, that was certainly not my intention. Just that for me there is more to educating than "don't do that".

Comment

I don’t think good breeding strategies give you the absolutes you are looking for. Rather, there are guidelines based upon experience and a proven formula for producing performance success, which is what Bayhawk speaks of. Along those lines, as a general rule of thumb (and not related to ANY foal or breeder on this thread), it would be better to have a breeding strategy that says, “before doubling up too much on any given pedigree, the breeder should have some rock solid data on why it is a good idea,” rather than an approach that reflects something like, “hey, no one told me not to do it.”

My only other comment is, what the heck are we doing up at this time? I am sitting here trying to decide if I should just start the coffee... or try to fall back to sleep. The puppy fell back sound asleep about 20 minutes ago.
                                          Last edited by Cartier; Jul. 28, 2010, 06:10 AM.
                                          Logres Farm on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                          X