• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Top 25 mare families in the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EquineLVR View Post
    Would you mind sharing his insights? I really Mezcalero but that is type of info that is extremely useful when deciding on what stallions suit what mares...
    I would love to hear those thoughts, either here or by PM. I have a mare in foal to Mezcalero and would like to continue to use him in the future.
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

• I have a Mezcalero colt that I am madly in love with! I'm just so proud of this boy. He is out of my Saluut II/Merano mare. She is a powerhouse herself, but he brought the legs she needed and even more athleticism. I would use him again on her in a heartbeat. But I put her into sport, so Monterrey is a one and only.

He is so willing to try anything... really trusts me. He is quick to learn and knows when he's done the right thing.

I couldn't ask more of any stallion. Based on my experience with Mezcalero, I'd say he is most definitely a prepotent sire. Of course, my mare's motherline isn't too shabby either. That's always helpful.
      http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
      CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
      Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
      http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Comment

• they WOULD not approve Hickstead because 1) he is tiny
        I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I don't breed Holsteiners and I don't do stallions, but this is an absolutely absurd statement. Anyone remember Stroller? at 14.3h. I can't imagine any reason in the world why a horse would have to be 17h, give or take, to be a good jumper and to be approved by this registry.
        Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
        Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

• Why do you think so many registries go to the Holsteiner Verband for genes to add to their pool?

There are other very reputable registries for Hickstead. He's an Olympic Gold medalist.... he is a treasure. He just doesn't belong in the gene pool of the Holsteiner horse. Use him in other registries... he is not going to be an asset to the Holsteiner gene pool. Nothing personal... just the way it is.
          CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)

Comment

• Stroller? at 14.3h. I can't imagine any reason in the world why a horse would have to be 17h, give or take, to be a good jumper and to be approved by this registry.
            I'll bite. Because as a breeding registry, they want to breed horses that are over 16 hands????

Why would a shetland pony not be 17 hands? After all, it might have a fluffy mane and a bad attitude! Why shouldn't it be a shetland pony?

Comment

• You're absolutely right Tri. It's their registry and they can make any rules they want, but to exclude an Olympic level horse based on size - well....... that's their choice, them's their rules. It's not like he's a pony. Just how tall is he? I've seen 16h posted. Do they have to be anything OVER 16h to be approved, so any fraction over can be approved (if they meet the other criteria) but exactly 16 not? Should have left his feet long.
              Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods

Comment

• Originally posted by tri View Post
                I'll bite. Because as a breeding registry, they want to breed horses that are over 16 hands????
                There are a lot of Holsteiner Small Junior Hunters so I guess it doesn't always work out so well for them.

Comment

• There are an increasing number of "small " uber jumpers -

heck, my 14,2 hand pony Not Guilty, was a top jumper pony in the 1960s and guess what, they jumped 5 feet in those days. I think 15.3 - 16.2 is the new ultimate size. Little Big Man, the new horse Laura Chapot shows, ? Bradford? , Hickstead, etc - look at the top 5 at the Bejing games. Tell me their sizes???? What the #$%# is this size issue??
                  "Her life was okay. Sometimes she wished she were sleeping with the right man instead of with her dog, but she never felt she was sleeping with the wrong dog."

www.dontlookbackfarm.com

Comment

• While I appreciate the education on this thread, I sure wish I did not have to wade through the "wannabee experts" who show what they DON'T know every time they open their mouth, clogging the thread with proof.

menopausal rant over
                    ty and back to our regularly scheduled thread....
                    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
                    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
                    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
                    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Comment

• There are a lot of Holsteiner Small Junior Hunters so I guess it doesn't always work out so well for them.
                      Are they holsteiner VERBAND approved stallions? As has already been said, the American Holsteiner Horse Assoc approved the horse and since small juniors aren't anywhere else other than in the U.S., I am not sure what your point is.?? Are these small juniors AHHA approved stallions? Do you think they should be approved stallions? Do you think a small junior competing at 3'6 in a hunter course is what the Germans are breeding for? Do you think they would be approved and branded if that same horse was in Germany?

I don't have a dog in this fight either but all the euro warmblood registries have size minimums and i honestly don't know if the Hols. Verband would approve him/didn't approve him/because of size or because of another issue or because of several issues or becuase of no issue at all.

I believe Rubinstein was turned down by Westfalia originally, partly due to his small size. He grew some, went to Oldenburg and they approved him albeit reluctently.

Some of you have mentioned some horses competing at high levels that were, what was it? 14.3hands. Don't you think they would be more suitable for breeding sport ponies if they were going to be presented for some type of approval, or do you really think that a 14.3 hand stallion should be in all the warmblood registries? What would you do if a 14.3 hand stallion was fully approved with the KWPN or Oldenburg Verband or BWP or the Trakehners?

I bet most of you would have something to say if a 14.3 hand stallion was approved with the AWS or the AWR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• there ARE a ton of small juniors that are Holsteiners, and many other registries with height restrictions on breeding stock.,.. but many forget, when a foal is inspected to get papers.. it does not have a neon flashing light growing out of his forehead reporting that it will grow only to 15.3. Only breeding stock gets reinspected when mature.
                        "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
                        Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
                        Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
                        Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

Comment

• Originally posted by tri View Post
                          Are they holsteiner VERBAND approved stallions? As has already been said, the American Holsteiner Horse Assoc approved the horse and since small juniors aren't anywhere else other than in the U.S., I am not sure what your point is.?? Are these small juniors AHHA approved stallions? Do you think they should be approved stallions? Do you think a small junior competing at 3'6 in a hunter course is what the Germans are breeding for? Do you think they would be approved and branded if that same horse was in Germany?
                          I thought you were familiar with Hunter divisions. Guess not as you don't seem to know that stallions aren't eligible for Junior hunter divisions. Most of these horses DO come from Germany. And yeah, maybe it's what they were breeding for. They sell a ton of them to Americans. Good market here for Euro Hunters.
                          To clarify the point. Perhaps they want to breed only horses over 16 hands but it doesn't seem to be working out that way. They ( and all the other registries) are producing smaller horses. So what? Why is 16 hands a magic number?

Comment

• When you look at the number of small horses that have done very well in jumping at Grand Prix, and how few people would give a smaller horse an opportunity to show its talent, I would bet percentage wise, you might be better off gambling on the little guys.

About a decade? ago, the Show Jumper of the year was a 15.2h horse. I checked out the top (I believe) 20 GP jumpers, and about 1/3 were 16h and under.

Comment

• I don't know why some of you are upset about this. Every breed association or registry... whether horse, dog, cat, cow... whatever... has breed standards. This isn't new, enacted to spite one particular horse. I'm not a spokesperson for the verband or the AHHA, but I can read their breed standards.
                              CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShowjumpersUSA View Post
                                I don't know why some of you are upset about this. Every breed association or registry... whether horse, dog, cat, cow... whatever... has breed standards. This isn't new, enacted to spite one particular horse. I'm not a spokesperson for the verband or the AHHA, but I can read their breed standards.
                                Not upset, but...sport horses are bred for competition, not just for breeding. Most of the other animals you have mentioned are simply bred for conformation competitions. By refusing to accept horses that have proved themselves in the highest levels of competition but are under 16 h or 16.2, a registry loses some powerful heritable talents--jumping is 40% heritable, so one could say that a large proportion of Hickstead's get have a good chance of inheriting his jumping talent.

Just seems sort of short sighted.

And as Tom said, have they a size upper limit?
                                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

• Yes, I agree with you. It makes sense that any sporthorse registry would be eager to have an Olympic gold medalist in their rank and file. There are many highly ranked sporthorse registries to choose from. However, the verband is not a sporthorse registry, it is a breed association. This makes all the difference.

Although the Verband is highly respected throughout the world, some of us here seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding (or rejection?) of it's breeding goals and principles. This has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseam. Sometimes it's better to amicably agree to disagree and call it a day.
                                  CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)

Comment

• I don't have, either, a dog in this fight.
                                    I think that the Holsteiner Verband is free to make whatever decision they like.
                                    I think breeders are free to breed to the stalion they choose, then registering the foal in whatever registry will accept them.
                                    There will be many registries who will accept Hickstead because of his great jumping ability.
                                    I also think that breeders will choose the mare with a size that will complement the size of the stallion.
                                    There are very successful breeding stallions at 16 hands.
                                    I for one will be interested to buy a Hickstead son. I don't care what registry have issued the papers.
                                    "If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster, And treat those two imposters just the same"
                                    Rudyard Kipling
                                    Quartz Rouge

Comment

• I thought you were familiar with Hunter divisions. Guess not as you don't seem to know that stallions aren't eligible for Junior hunter divisions.
                                      I guess you don't know that Hickstead is a STALLION and his approval or not being approved would be FOR BREEDING and I guess you don't know that the Holsteiner Verband is in Germany or else why would you make a corralation between Small hunters who CAN'T be stallions in a country where the Verband doesn't operate?

I had a small hunter in my barn that was a quarter horse cross. He could jump 5 foot any day without blinking an eye. Should the Holsteiner Verband approve him? - hey he isn't even a stallion! See it is totally irrevelent.

As is this continued facination over Hickstead. No one even knows if there has been an official approval or not of Hickstead from the Verband and if he was turned down, was it due to size or not?

Personally, I'd like to know if anyone has any Adith daughters. Reece a while back talked about mare lines and acquiring daughters. An Adith daughter would be one to acquire.

Comment

• Are these small juniors AHHA approved stallions?
                                        Juniors can't ride stallions in hunter classes. period. These are offspring, that didn't make it to 16h, of 16h or greater stallions, and ARE Holsteiners, but not 16h. If they were stallions, they would still be branded Holsteiner, but not approvable as stallions. That's the difference.

Calling yourself a breed registry and not a sport horse registry and then claiming top titles for jumpers doesn't go together. Also, how can you be a 'breed' registry and let in other breeds? As Tom, whom you seem to hate so much now, said about Cornet Oblensky, he is a Belgian Warmblood who is approved for breeding with other registries. You and Reece talk about TB stallions who seem to be taken over and claimed as Holsteiners once they are approved. Whether this is used for breeding purposes or not, it is STILL a TB stallion, and ALL his offspring are half TB, even IF branded Holsteiner.

The Dutch will do this with mares. If your outside breed mare is impressive enough, the Dutch (in this country, since they don't brand in Europe) will offer to brand her KWPN. WTF???????

Comment

• Tiki are you talking to me because that is my post you are quoting but then the body of your post is not stuff that I said and I have never acted like I hate Tom?

Comment

Working...
                                          X