• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

In utero sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In utero sales

I have someone interested in buying one of my babies in utero. I have not done that as of yet but certainly not opposed. Do any of you have some insights as to how to make this transaction go well...pitfalls and tips for success.

TIA
    www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

I have some insight, but from the buyers side...which hopefully helps. I never actually did this in the end while I was breeding.

I purchased an inutero contract last year from Century Ranch (who sell FABULOUS dutch horses) and it has gone so extremely well. I put down a deposit to hold the contract, and the balance was due upon the birth of my healthy foal. I had insurance in place once the foal was 48 hours old and could be inspected by the vet. I have a super colt now by Freestyle out of a ster KWPN mare named Poska by Juventus out of a Rubinstein mare that is on the top producing mare list in Holland. It was an exceptional opportunity for me, and Century Ranch has been an absolute dream to deal with. They have been very flexible with me regarding terms of the contract and I am very happy with my foal. So happy in fact, that I'm in the process of buying the next inutero as well. Great experience!
    Proud Momma:

Imax - Fresstyle x Juventus x Rubinstein
    2014 - Sister to IMAX (hopefully)

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you, Amoroso...glad you had a good experience!
      www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

I've sold several in utero foals in the past, and have someone seriously interested in one for 2014.
        From the seller's standpoint, you will want to lay everything out very clearly in the contract. I just revised mine to make it even more specific, because the potential client raised some questions before I sent the contract out that I realized were not specified in writing as clearly as they should be. For example, what are the buyer's options if the mare does not deliver a live foal? Will the receive a refund if they paid a deposit? What if they want a filly specifically and the mare has a colt (or vice versa)? Who is responsible for payment of routine vet and farrier care while the foal is on the dam? What if the foal is injured; who is responsible for the vet bill? What does the purchase price include (registration, DNA testing, etc.)? Does it include hauling? Lots of questions! :-)

Since my 2014 foals are out of my stallion, I want to be able to show them at our National Futurity, so I added a clause stating that the buyer would allow mw to show the weanling (free of charge), and that she would not take possession of him/her until after the futurity. (She receives any money won as the owner.)

I'd be happy to send you a copy of my purchase agreement if you PM me with your email. You can also do a search, as I know some people have posted links to some of their contracts too.

It can be a great experience all around if it goes well. I give a discount for inutero purchases, and the buyers get a lot of incentives that make it worth their while. Good luck!
        Last edited by New Horizons; Sep. 24, 2013, 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling error
        Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
        Standing Stellar TVR, 2013 N.A. Stallion Testing/lifetime licensed WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
        www.newhorizonshaflingers.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by New Horizons View Post

I'd be happy to send you a copy of my purchase agreement if you PM me with your email. You can also do a search, as I know some people have posted links to some of their contracts too.

It can be a great experience all around if it goes well. I give a discount for inutero purchases, and the buyers get a lot of incentives that make it worth their while. Good luck!
          Thank you...just sent PM
          www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

You are welcome! :-) I'll send it tomorrow as I need to get to a computer to do so.

Sorry for the typos above. It is tough catching them all when posting from my phone.
            Standing Stellar TVR, 2013 N.A. Stallion Testing/lifetime licensed WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR

Comment

Well...here is a tale of an in-Utero sale gone awry:

I put $10,000 down on a Sir Donnerhall X Hohenstein foal. The lovely Hohenstein mare proceeded to not get in foal TWICE. We switched gears to Dancier. No go. The poor breeder lost so much money trying to get that mare in foal for me. I got my deposit back and she got the mare in foal at the 11th hour using fresh semen from a stallion who was going to throw a HUGE baby. (she offered the foal to me but I am 5' tall so I declined)

So, it's not only the buyer who has to be careful, but the breeder! I am fortunate that the breeder I dealt with was so honest...I feel badly that she lost more money than she would have if she didn't have the contract to deal with.

In this case, the breeder probably would have tried fresh semen a few cycles earlier had she not been trying to honor my in-utero contract.

Just another thing to think about!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
                Well...here is a tale of an in-Utero sale gone awry:

I put $10,000 down on a Sir Donnerhall X Hohenstein foal. The lovely Hohenstein mare proceeded to not get in foal TWICE. We switched gears to Dancier. No go. The poor breeder lost so much money trying to get that mare in foal for me. I got my deposit back and she got the mare in foal at the 11th hour using fresh semen from a stallion who was going to throw a HUGE baby. (she offered the foal to me but I am 5' tall so I declined)

So, it's not only the buyer who has to be careful, but the breeder! I am fortunate that the breeder I dealt with was so honest...I feel badly that she lost more money than she would have if she didn't have the contract to deal with.

In this case, the breeder probably would have tried fresh semen a few cycles earlier had she not been trying to honor my in-utero contract.

Just another thing to think about!
                Thanks, arlosmine...this is a little different situation. This mare is already in foal and the buyer already knows the stallion and the mare. She is buying that combination.
                www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

From the sellers point if view, at what time/point in the mares pregnancy would you feel comfortable offering the in-utero sale?
                  I am a first time breeder, and I plan on offering the foal for sale. When I was in the initial stages of panning, I was strongly considering offering the baby in-utero. But now that my mare is bred (about 130 days) I haven't been thinking at all about offering the in-utero option! I guess my thinking is there are so many things that can go wrong? or that what if the baby is a real looker/mover and I sell myself short?

for those breeders that do sell in-utero when did you know that you were ready to do so? (Sorry if this is ot)

Comment

Ellen, feel free to call me...I've done several and have a pretty good contract
                    Cornerstone Equestrian
                    Home of Amazing (Balou du Rouet/Voltaire) 2005 KWPN Stallion
                    RPSI, KWPN reg B, and IHF nominated
                    www.cornerstonefarmpa.com

Comment

HorseCrazy, I advertise the inutero sales that are available once I have a pregnancy confirmed. I think if you do the 60 day preg check and all is good, that you are fine moving forward. It all depends on what you are comfortable with doing, and how you lay out your contract.

You are right though about possibly selling yourself short. I offer my inutero foals at a significant discount, which works out great for the buyer, but not so great for me if it turns out to be extra special and worth lots more (or so special that I want to keep it). It definitely is a risk on the part of both buyer and seller, but has its advantages as well.

Comment

I have trouble understanding in utero sales, I mean you just don't know what the foal is going to be like! Could be exceptional, could be a dud, colour, gender, these are all things I care about when I'm buying a foal ... and there are so many variables!

But I suppose if both sides are happy with the associated risks then it's fine, I just personally wouldn't ever want to do it.

Comment

In-utero sales are not for people (generally speaking) who care about color or sex of the foal, with the exception of some sellers who do offer gender-specific contracts. I have found with my in-utero sales (and I've had quite a few) that the people who buy are generally looking for a particular pedigree, or want to have the first chance at a foal from a specific mare.
                          I offer the in-uteros for sale once a pregnancy is established at 30+ days. The previous poster who mentioned putting the money down before breeding is describing what I would think of as a "custom foal" more than a standard in-utero contract. The custom foal contracts, I've found, are even more fraught with risks and complications and I don't do them for that reason (among others).
                          To the OP: you need a very good, detailed and comprehensive contract. It needs to cover everything from payment terms and timeline, to what the buyer receives (live foal guarantee?, healthy foal guarantee? ) to what happens if the foal dies or has something wrong with it, to what expenses are included and what the buyer is responsible for after foaling until weaning, when weaning will take place, what the time-frame for shipping after weaning is, what you will provide (vaccines? dewormer? hoof care?) to who is responsible if the foal is injured after payment is received but before it leaves your place, who covers inspection/registration costs, etc. etc. Anything and everything that you can think of needs to be in there!
                          Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hillside H Ranch View Post
                            To the OP: you need a very good, detailed and comprehensive contract. It needs to cover everything from payment terms and timeline, to what the buyer receives (live foal guarantee?, healthy foal guarantee? ) to what happens if the foal dies or has something wrong with it, to what expenses are included and what the buyer is responsible for after foaling until weaning, when weaning will take place, what the time-frame for shipping after weaning is, what you will provide (vaccines? dewormer? hoof care?) to who is responsible if the foal is injured after payment is received but before it leaves your place, who covers inspection/registration costs, etc. etc. Anything and everything that you can think of needs to be in there!
                            Thank you...very helpful!
                            www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by horsechick View Post
                              Ellen, feel free to call me...I've done several and have a pretty good contract
                              I will call you later today, Ahna. BTW...it is the AmazingXDanka foal they are interested
                              www.los-arboles.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

For those who have sold foals with an in-utero contract, what do you do as far as vet care after foaling? Who is responsible for the baby check, IgG test? What do you do about such common problems as angular limb deformity? Although they usually resolve, they often require more frequent farrier work, or vet care.
                                Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                                www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

We do many custom foals for clients, feel free to have a look at our contract:

http://www.premiumwarmbloods.com/foals.htm

Best of luck!
                                  Specializing in Custom Warmblood Foals - www.premiumwarmbloods.com

Visit Our Facebook Page!

Comment

Originally posted by clint View Post
                                    For those who have sold foals with an in-utero contract, what do you do as far as vet care after foaling? Who is responsible for the baby check, IgG test? What do you do about such common problems as angular limb deformity? Although they usually resolve, they often require more frequent farrier work, or vet care.
                                    For me, the well-foal check, w/an IgG is something that I as the seller take care of. My contract actually guarantees a live, healthy foal and that includes the foal having an IgG >800. I do an IgG test/exam on all foals, whether or not they are for sale/sold in-utero and for me that is the standard of care, so I wouldn't want to be in a position where a buyer didn't want to pay for it, so the foal went without. For the sake of keeping things simple I cover "routine" health costs until weaning (that's deworming, farrier, etc). I also cover the cost of registration/inspection, etc. Those are things I would be responsible for in my non in-utero sales, so I just figure those things into the cost of the in-utero sales, as well. As far as angular limb deformities, I thankfully haven't had that happen, but it would be up to the owner. If the foal is born with anything abnormal (hernia, entropion, angular limb issues, heart issues, eye issues, low IgG, etc) then it is up to them on whether they want to proceed with the purchase. If not, the deposit is sent back and the contract is null and void. If they want to take on whatever issues is present then that is fine, but it is at their expense.
                                    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
                                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

Thanks Hillside H, that is very helpful.
                                      Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                                      www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

I do the same as Hillside Ranch. I'm responsible for routine care after foal is born through weaning. But, it is up to buyer to carry insurance on the foal, as they are responsible if the foal were to become injured/sick, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                        X