• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stallion owners beware! SHOTS!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallion owners beware! SHOTS!!!

My 5 y.o. jumper stallion, Prestige II TG (Presto)

is now under a SIX (6) month quarantine!!! Please learn from my pain!

Presto was at UC Davis 2 weeks ago for a recheck of a low splint discovered last spring. The regular stallion handler for the University was off that day so a substitute tech was called in to trot my horse for the vets. Presto knows how to be trotted up, but he's a stallion and he was in a strange place and he's only 5 y.o. and 16.3 hands and was feeling his oats after a 2 hour trailer ride.

He is a very playful boy and on one of his first trots, he apparently (I was inside the office checking him in and didn't see this) reached over to bite at his lead rope and pinched the finger on the left hand of the technician trotting with him.

So the technician reported it to her supervisor, who filled out an incident report which triggered an automatic report to Sheriff/Animal Control and since I can't prove that he has been vaccinated against rabies even though he is negative EVA, has a recent Coggins, has had all manner of other shots, because the entire state of California has been declared "a rabies area" ANY animal bite that breaks the skin results in a 6 month quarantine for that animal unless it can prove that it has been vaccinated against rabies and it's rabies titers are sufficient. If the animal is vaccinated, then the quarantine is limited to 15 to 30 days in the discretion of the health officer. Or the health officer can demand that the animal be euthanized....

I cannot find a reported case of a horse transmitting rabies to anyone in California. I had to cancel a planned late breeding to a mare in Texas as no one can tell me if collecting a stallion is within the terms of a quarantine...

Presto, being a stallion, lives in a stall with a paddock and has no physical contact with any other animal. He is stabled in a suburban area which is visited by the stray coyote on occasion but any coyote could not access his stall through the bars and his paddock is 5 rail with 1"x2" ranch fence lining it to keep animals out and stallions in.

I am not a big proponent of vaccinations that aren't really needed...but if I'd known the world of hurt NOT vaccinating against rabies might rain upon Presto, I'd have had him vaccinated!
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

That really is a bummer. Rabies is one of the those vaccines that I give to each of my horses and we reccomend it for all client horses, too. In fact, it is a core vaccine that the AAEP reccomends be given to all horses.

Bats are a major transmitter of rabies and a bite can be acquired (even in people) without anyone being aware. I'm not familiar with California law, but is home quarantine not an option? We face this situation sometimes with our small animal practice and in our state there are guidelines for home quarantine.

I'm sure it will be a long 6 months
    Already excited about our 2016 foals! Expecting babies by Indoctro, Diamant de Semilly, Zirocco Blue and Calido!
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227

Comment

It's certainly unfortunate that you're having to go through this and I sympathize with what you have had to give up; but, having gone through rabies treatment many years ago due to being bitten by a cat (tested positive) in the same week that I was exposed to a rabid cow, I can understand the concern. It was in a different state; however, when I was an intern (several states away) we had a foal brought in with vague symptoms of not doing right. It was 9 days old and most were jumping to conclusions of dummy foal, etc. I had one self-declared never-to touch-a-horse-again senior student write rabies down on his list of differentials. The senior clinician as well as myself patted him on the head, only to be told a few days later after necropsy that the foal had indeed died from rabies. I was the only one who did not go through post-exposure vaccination because my titer was still off the charts from my prior experience.

I know in Arizona we have had multiple cases of rabies in wildlife this year. It was about 8 years ago but we had a series of livestock, mostly camelids test positive after exposure to a rabid fox. Though it's not common, exposure to rabies from livestock (which here in AZ horses are still considered livestock) does happen. Fortunately the post-exposure regimen (shot series) entails fewer injections than in years past.

I'm a huge believer in prevention.....then of course I also happen to be a shelter vet so perhaps biased since I deal with rabies quarantine cases day in and day out as well as removing the heads from lots of suspect cases.
      Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

This is also why one shouldn't do your own rabies vaccinations (some states allow access), b/c even if you give the vaccine, the laws everywhere state that you need proof from registered vet.

Sorry about your guy's jail time.

Comment

sorry about the qt, but really? not vaccinate against rabies? that's the most common, easiest and cheapest vax... considering the risks... well, I guess you learned a lesson!

Comment

When I bought my horse -- from a vet's sister, and the sister-vet did all his health care -- he had never had a rabies shot because rabies is very rare (they said "unheard of") where he came from.
            I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Comment

Hmm... always having horses on the east coast, I've never heard of anyone not vaccinating for rabies annually. I believe it is mandatory in many states here. And we always have the vet do it so we have the vaccine records.

Comment

• Original Poster

In hindsight apparently I should have vaccinated to avoid a quarantine....but, rabies vaccines are not required for HORSES in CA.

The Secretary of Health declared the entire state a rabies concern so that (IMHO as a jaded attorney) dog license fees would automatically be increased $2.50 per license without having to pass the legislature or be voted upon by the populace.

It was all about money and now my horse (who does NOT have rabies and has never been bitten by anything bigger than a fly or a mosquito) will spend 6 months being unable to be out and about!

Like I said, he lives in the suburbs - he had a bigger exposure to being bit by a rabid shopper at the local Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's or Nordstrom if he blocked their access to a sale, than being bit by a rabid animal (tennis moms can be vicious!)
                Georgia Langsam
                Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
                Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

Comment

When rabies moves into an area the infection rate goes sky high & fast. Eventually it decreases & kind of remains stable, but initially it spreads like crazy, so it is critical to get vax for all livestock & pets.

CT was rabies free for years, and populations of raccoons & other critters were large. When rabies came in, the large numbers & proximity mean it spread like crazy. There were reports of varmit attacks pretty frequently.

Suburbs aren't any safer than rural areas. Raccoons, foxes, etc are there aplenty, in fact usually in greater density b/c they get to eat everyone's refuse.

Horses can easily get bitten or scratched in the pasture, usually on nose when they bend in to sniff the weird wobbly creature (no longer shy) going by. Sometimes on the legs if they try to kick.

depending on the rules in each state, if an animal is even potentially exposed to rabies, they go into quarantine if unvaccinated. If that animal bites or scratches someone during quarantine, it is req'd that the animal be put down so they can be tested. Not something to mess with.

Comment

Originally posted by equusaround View Post
                    In hindsight apparently I should have vaccinated to avoid a quarantine....but, rabies vaccines are not required for HORSES in CA.

It was all about money and now my horse (who does NOT have rabies and has never been bitten by anything bigger than a fly or a mosquito) will spend 6 months being unable to be out and about!

Like I said, he lives in the suburbs - he had a bigger exposure to being bit by a rabid shopper at the local Neiman Marcus, Tiffany's or Nordstrom if he blocked their access to a sale, than being bit by a rabid animal (tennis moms can be vicious!)
                    Honestly you should vaccinate to avoid RABIES not quarantine. Being in a suburban area in no way makes your horses immune to rabies. There are critters everywhere that can transmit the virus.

There are many states that do not require rabies vaccinations for equines, but most owners do vaccinate.
                    I feel for you, a 6month quarantine..

Comment

I am so sorry about the 6 month quarantine, but will echo what others have said - I can't imagine NOT vaccinating for rabies. It's simple, it's cheap, and it can help protect your horse from contracting a horrible disease for which there is no cure. Being in the suburbs has nothing to do with it, and may actually increase the risk of a rabies "storm" due to the higher concentration of potential victims.

Comment

I'm really, really sorry to hear about your situation, but have to echo what others have said as well. Even if your fencing allows no fox, coyote, etc. entry, there is no way to keep bats out. And they are prevalent all over.

Regardless of why you think they declared Ca. a rabies concern, the fact that it IS an issue there makes me question why you would take that risk. And, in all honesty, a six month quarantine may sound crazy, but you are extremely fortunate that they did not require that your stallion be put down so that they could test him immediately. In some states, that very well could have happened. :-(

Thanks for warning everyone. It was a hard lesson to learn.
                        Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
                        Standing Stellar TVR, 2013 N.A. Stallion Testing/lifetime licensed WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
                        www.newhorizonshaflingers.com

Comment

Originally posted by equusaround View Post
                          They're not *required* in Massachusetts either, but only a fool, IMHO, would decline them here.

The Secretary of Health declared the entire state a rabies concern so that (IMHO as a jaded attorney) dog license fees would automatically be increased $2.50 per license without having to pass the legislature or be voted upon by the populace.
                          Stick with the law--it ain't a question of revenue enhancement, it's a goddam public health issue.

You sound almost disappointed that your horse hasn't had a known rabies exposure. And once again, no, it is *not* all about the money.

You think that rabies is somehow excluded from suburbia? Wrong again.
                          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

OP, it isn't just "stallion owners" who need to beware. All horses should be vaccinated for rabies annually.

And I agree with New Horizons... rabies is a significant public health issue for PEOPLE. That's why the law is strict. You are very lucky that you have avoided having to euthanize the stallion and have him tested. (There is no way to test a living person or animal because brain tissue is needed.) You do understand that rabies is FATAL, right?!?!?!

Comment

Sorry for your quarantine... But this is one of the things I always do to cross my ts and dot my is. Just checked off my list, it isn't going to hurt the horse for me to do it. Now granted I absolutely do live somewhere where I may encounter rabies, but even if not... It just never occurred to me. Just one of the basics. Time to get the vet out and get the whole herd done.

Comment

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/HealthInfo/di...AR%20Table.pdf

You have a large amount of rabies in California, primarily in bats according to the Health Department statistics above. Thank you for sharing your experience so hopefully more people will vaccinate. Rabies is very common in the DC suburbs where we live, so we always vaccinate. In other areas, I know people don't always think about rabies.

The animal tech at UC Davis should habeen vaccinated. Shame on them for not providing vaccine for their workers.

Comment

Sorry...but having had the post exposure series due to coming in contact with a rabid HORSE, I can't comprehend why someone would not give a horse a rabies shot. It just boggles my mind.

It is the cheapest vaccination out there!
                                  Only two emotions belong in the saddle: One is a sense of humor. The other is patience.

Comment

Rabies vaccination is not a requirement for horses in many states.

I too am very sorry your boy and your wallet are suffering through quarantine. It's already been said though that this is something that could have easily been avoided. There are so very few areas where rabies are not a problem, in the US, that there's no good reason for 99% of horses to not be vaccinated for it, and it's not for the sake of avoiding quarantine.

You can choose to vaccinate the horse yourself, if you live in a state into which rabies vaccines can be shipped to non-vets (and many states don't allow that), if all you care about is peace of mind that your horses won't become infected. But unless a vet administers the shot, there is no proof you vaccinated the horse, and then you'd still be in the same boat you're in now.

Rabies is 100% fatal to humans if exposed and not treated. Non-vaccinated horses who become infected can infect people before they start showing undeniable rabies symptoms. More than a few rabid horses have been sent to hospitals for symptoms that were not connected to rabies until later, exposing everyone they came into contact with at the hospital - very scary.

This isn't about stallions, this is about horses in general.

The lack of understanding of rabies, both as a disease and in how it's transmitted, shown in this thread is sadly shocking

You DO NOT know if your stallion has been exposed to a rabid animal. You have no idea if a rabid bat flew at him one night and bit him. The "suburbs" are immune from rabies? Rabid bats don't fly into the 'burbs? Rabid foxes don't wander out of their territory and go where a healthy one might otherwise not?

Please, please read reliable sources in the real dangers of rabies. This is not about a $2.50 fee that someone just wants to rip out of your pocket

Comment

I agree that this would have been easily avoided had you done the smart thing but 6 months?!?! I have had kittens on official rabies quarantine with the department of health I think it was complete with the sheriff coming to my house to make me sign the paperwork but that was for 10 days. They said the kitten would be dead or fine at the end of 10 days. That seems excessive to me.
                                      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Rabies can incubate for up to about 8 weeks

Comment

Working...
                                        X