• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE: The most beautiful embryo I've ever seen! A pony Totilas!!! NEW - PICTURES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't view this debate as "not getting along" but I do see you are very defensive about your choice of Totilas and don't like the fact that other disagree with you choice of both him as a stallion and the big on small concept.

I do think we have 2 fundamental differences in approach/theory on breeding.
    For me though when going down this breeding mode - I am more of a fan of the concept when doing this cross of Small on Big rather than Big on Small. Like the provent german pattern when using TBs of putting the "blood on top". So I chose to purchase "small on big" as that seems to be a safer and somewhat predictable outcome thus far.
    And as I stated before, is I am just not a Totilas fan as a breeding stallion for the USA amateur market, based on himself and his offspring. But it's just me and I am sure there are a ton of ammy buyers in the USA who will love to have the chance to buy a 'small' Totilas should you decide to sell your foals.

But please note I am not the one picking your post apart and demanding answers about everything. The small on big is a concept I have supported with my money and mare band.

But my point is that 1) there is enough size and hot and movement available in the GRP breedings right now 2) if others on this board, less pony immersed, are interested in getting all the supremo movement I offered a list of pony stallions that will produce it 3) others have offered a list of hony stallions that will give size but not too much size.
    RoseLane Sportponies
    Golden State - 2012 Bundeschampion & 2014 USDF Horse of the Year
    Golden West - 2014 & 2015 Bundeschampion Pony Stallion
    Petit Marc Aurel- FEI Dressage Pony Stallion

Comment

For the sake on intellectual discussion (which I meay very well regret), I will disagree with one thing FoxCreek stated. She said "I can make 1/2 Welsh 1/2 Warmblood all day long in the US - I should not have spent the money on something that I can do just as well in the US".

I don't think that is quite true and here is why. Yes, she has access to the warmblood side and could have easily gotten a Sandro Hit mare to breed, but I think the Welsh side is more complex. Sure, we have MANY welsh ponies in this country and some are VERY lovely. But, I personaly think it takes an exceptional and unique Welsh pony to make this cross work. Do they exist in this country, probably somewhere, but the majority seem to be bred for more hunter type and some of the ponies that do well in Welsh shows just don't have the type in my opinion to be knock out Sport pony sires.

Plus, add to the fact that it is a rare Welsh stallion owner that wants to hassle and expense of inspection into a GRP registry and the performance requirements to remain in one. I honestly can't blame them as it is clearly a money losing exercise at this point. So, even if you found the ideal Welsh stallion, his offspring likely could not be fully aproved in a GRP registry.

Lastly, you can't at this point get any approved German Welsh stallions by frozen semen...so dead end there as well.

Bottom line, like all GRP breeding, making the F1 cross of a calibur that will rival Germany is no easy task. At least in my opinion
      Whispered Wish Weser-Ems: Breeding quality German Riding Ponies!
      Standing the stallion Burberry
      www.germanridingpony.com
      www.facebook.com/HighlifesBurberry

Comment

Honeylips...I agree with many of your points. However, the vast majority of the stallions you listed (pony and small horse) are NOT available to US breeders and NONE of them are currently available to US breeders (unless they were savy enough to stock up thier frozen tanks a couple of years ago). Most of us do not have the funds to import all the bloodlines we would like, so we sometimes have to think outside the box. The more stallion owners that make quality stallions available to US breeders the stronger our pony breeding can become.
        www.germanridingpony.com

Comment

There *are* GRP approved Welsh stallion available fresh here aren't there? (Evans..... something..... in California? oh my aging brain....)
          www.juniperridgeranch.us
          Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

There have been a couple...not sure if any are up to date. Plus...you just proved my point. Hardly compares to Constantin or some of the other very influential Welsh stallions in Germany.
            www.germanridingpony.com

Comment

• Original Poster

This is why I hate these boards. I have been a member for 6 years and have a total of 87 posts!

As I said before: if the three of us were at dinner this might actually be an interesting and fun conversation. In this format it turns into a damn food fight. I would have loved to have had dinner with you Heather at the stallion testing, but you would hardly speak to me.

Absolutely nowhere in this thread have I been defensive about my choice of Totilas - quite the contrary, I'm super, super excited.

I knew full well when I posted that people have strong feelings about breeding large horses to small ponies. And I have not been defensive about it, I have simply stated that based off the extensive research, anecdotal evidence and personal experience I do not feel the risk is substantially higher than a normal foaling to try it this one time.

I also stated that I do not normally do this - and one only needs to spend a short amount of time on my website to recognize that I don't normally do this. If I could buy a mare sired by Totilas for $5,000 then that would be much better - but pigs will fly before that happens.

Honeylips, you are making the implication that the warmblood cross is the only breeding theory for GRP's that I subscribe to. Again, one has only to look at my website to see that clearly this is a far cry from the truth. Nearly all of my breedings have been GRP stallion to GRP mare - out of 17 planned breedings for 2014 12 are breedings to imported States Premium GRP mares. Something NO ONE else in this country is doing. I have only ever done one other warmblood cross and it was an Olympic Ferro mare to Halifax......

Which brings me to another point. Heather, what you stated is NOT true, and I can't believe you even said it because you know full well its not true. Halifax is a GERMAN WELSH B available to US breeders. In Germany he is not used by Welsh B breeders but is only used in GRP breeding. One of the mares I bred to Totilas is sired by Halifax - and this was done on purpose.

Honeylips, you are also making the implication that I don't breed for rideability. Again, have you looked at my website? Really? My 13 year old CHILD rides my ponies - not adult amateurs. The stallion I bought in Germany that finished 11th at the Bundeschampionat and is now a gelding is ridden by my SON and they have qualified for Pony Finals. Benno's Dream is also regularly ridden by my son. My son has gotten to experience Piaffe and Passage on Benno's Dream. I could go on and on naming the GRP ponies my son has ridden and is currently riding......

Rideability and temperament and size is and always have been the most important components of my breeding program. This breeding of Totilas to the Welsh mares is not the entire whole of my breeding program. It is a fun side branch that I wanted to try - not something my entire program is based on.

IMO, this is the first defensive post I have made. Now I'm going to go ultrasound some mares and plant some trees!!!! Sheesh...
              www.foxcreekfarm.com

Comment

Wow...talk about making things personal! I have not said anything negative about you or about your choice of breeding to Toto. I did forget Halifax, but that is not a personal slight to you. I simply forgot him. However, one Welsh stallion hardly equals a large selection and I still think that we are lacking access to some of the German stallions that are key to producing those super F1 ponies, including your lovely Bella Sandra (I think that is her name...but you know I really like her as I have told you so in the past).
                Last edited by hluing; May. 8, 2013, 02:15 PM.
                www.germanridingpony.com

Comment

Originally posted by Molly Malone View Post
                  There *are* GRP approved Welsh stallion available fresh here aren't there? (Evans..... something..... in California? oh my aging brain....)
                  Are you by chance thinking of Evans Providence of the Night? Or one of the other Evans prefix horses? Providence is here in OR currently and is competing this year with a trainer friend of mine (and is SUPER cute!). I know he's approved AWS and ISR/Old, I haven't seen anything about GRP.

Comment

There are no Welsh currently active with Weser-Ems in the US (although Halifax would be since he is in Germany).
                    http://oldenburghorse.net/oh/stallio...ikelliste.html
                    Wedderlie Mardi Gras and another Welsh used to be, but are not currently on the list.
                    www.germanridingpony.com

Comment

Originally posted by hluing View Post
                      For the sake on intellectual discussion (which I meay very well regret), I will disagree with one thing FoxCreek stated. She said "I can make 1/2 Welsh 1/2 Warmblood all day long in the US - I should not have spent the money on something that I can do just as well in the US".

I don't think that is quite true and here is why. Yes, she has access to the warmblood side and could have easily gotten a Sandro Hit mare to breed, but I think the Welsh side is more complex. Sure, we have MANY welsh ponies in this country and some are VERY lovely. But, I personaly think it takes an exceptional and unique Welsh pony to make this cross work. Do they exist in this country, probably somewhere, but the majority seem to be bred for more hunter type and some of the ponies that do well in Welsh shows just don't have the type in my opinion to be knock out Sport pony sires.

Plus, add to the fact that it is a rare Welsh stallion owner that wants to hassle and expense of inspection into a GRP registry and the performance requirements to remain in one. I honestly can't blame them as it is clearly a money losing exercise at this point. So, even if you found the ideal Welsh stallion, his offspring likely could not be fully aproved in a GRP registry.

Lastly, you can't at this point get any approved German Welsh stallions by frozen semen...so dead end there as well.

Bottom line, like all GRP breeding, making the F1 cross of a calibur that will rival Germany is no easy task. At least in my opinion
                      Agree 100%. And am enjoying the intellectual discussion in this manner!
                      RoseLane Sportponies

Comment

Originally posted by hluing View Post
                        Honeylips...I agree with many of your points. However, the vast majority of the stallions you listed (pony and small horse) are NOT available to US breeders and NONE of them are currently available to US breeders (unless they were savy enough to stock up thier frozen tanks a couple of years ago). Most of us do not have the funds to import all the bloodlines we would like, so we sometimes have to think outside the box. The more stallion owners that make quality stallions available to US breeders the stronger our pony breeding can become.
                        Noted and agreed regarding the really fancy ponies in Germany by and large not having frozen. But for the price of 2 toto doses, storage, vet fees, 2 mare board from conception to weaning- I can find and import a legitament colt post weaning from any of those stallions out of a good damline. Just food for thought.

My own personal opinion - and it may be worth nothing- is that we are in very formative stages in our GRP breeding program here in the USA. It's important that we serious breeders really invest in proven good mares and stallions and pay heed to the wisdom of the german breeders who have about 30 years head start on us. i think years from now when we have a good solid program that's the time to start thinking out of the box, introducing more experimental crosses etc. but that's just me!
                        RoseLane Sportponies

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz 57 View Post
                          Are you by chance thinking of Evans Providence of the Night? Or one of the other Evans prefix horses? Providence is here in OR currently and is competing this year with a trainer friend of mine (and is SUPER cute!). I know he's approved AWS and ISR/Old, I haven't seen anything about GRP.
                          Yes! Thank you! I'm almost certain he was approved GRP , but obviously isn't active. Another one was Benno's (dream? oy - it's been a long time....)
                          www.juniperridgeranch.us
                          Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

Honeylips...I agree with you in principle. Obviously we all want to use the best mare and stallion for a cross. But that will be different for every person. I have been in GRP breeding in the US since the very beginning when Makuba was the only stallion available, there was NO frozen, and it was rare to find anyone who had heard of a GRP. We have come sooo far in just over ten years and I have certainly learned alot. Over the years, I become more and more selective about what I will breed. However, we would not have made that progress if people did not take risks and sometimes do things slightly unconventional. Even back then, my rule was trying to keep things as close to the German way as possible.
                            I too am enjoying the exchange of ideas in a spirit of learning.

By the way, I think the Welsh Molly Malone may be thinking of is Telnau Falcon. Benno's Dream is an imported GRP and not a Welsh.
                            www.germanridingpony.com

Comment

• Original Poster

But for the price of 2 toto doses, storage, vet fees, 2 mare board from conception to weaning- I can find and import a legitament colt post weaning from any of those stallions out of a good damline.
                              I respectfully disagree with this. I have imported a grand total of the following GRP's:

9 mares
                              1 yearling
                              4 weanlings
                              2 geldings

I know VERY well how much it costs to import from Germany. Just the import cost alone will set you back 2 doses of Totilas semen - $10,000. As for the other costs, those don't affect me - I own my own frozen semen storage tanks, I did all of my own vet work, and I don't have to board anything. So my total investment in each Totilas breeding is only the frozen semen.

It's important that we serious breeders really invest in proven good mares......
                              This serious breeder has invested in "proven good mares" that were specifically chosen for their exceptional, proven dam lines. Imported German Mares and Fillies:

St.Pr.St. Die Oder Keine
                              St.Pr.St. Die Kleine Hexe
                              St.Pr.St. Seven Mountain Nasty
                              St.Pr.St. Lorena
                              St.Pr.St. Dornroeschen
                              St.Pr.St. Loretta
                              St.Pr.St. Aphrodite
                              St.Pr.St. Catania
                              Verb.Pr. Bella Sandra

(imported as either weanlings, yearlings or in utero and so unable to obtain the St.Pr.St.)

Mayflower
                              Design By Dior
                              Bella Donna
                              Cadeira
                              Snow Queen

Surrender Dew Drop - (imported GRP, but not by me)

i think years from now when we have a good solid program that's the time to start thinking out of the box, introducing more experimental crosses etc.
                              I don't know what is so experimental about a 1/2 welsh 1/2 warmblood cross. Caramel is the offspring of a 1/2 welsh 1/2 warmblood. He is only 5 years old so it's not as if this was done 30 years ago and it isn't being done anymore. What I think is exciting is that I have the correct GRP mare base to use for a second / third / fourth generation breeding. The F1 cross is easy for anyone to do - but then, where do you go next? That's the tricky (and fun) part about infusing a dash of warmblood.
                              Last edited by foxcreek; May. 8, 2013, 06:43 PM.
                              www.foxcreekfarm.com

Comment

I'm not sure why everyone jumped all over the OP. if I wanted to spend $5000 to breed my donkey to Totilas I can. It is a free (well mostly, lol) country. She obviously has a plan whether or not it is what you or I would do, let's be happy for our fellow breeders when they have exciting news. Can't wait to see these babies as 4 and 5 year olds and hopefully their offspring in coming years.
                                Visit my website @ http://hihorsefarm.tripod.com (PONIES!)
                                and
                                http://heidalaycavaliers.tripod.com (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Comment

Everyone cites the pony/ draft study but no one should.

This study might give one some pause: http://www.reproduction-online.org/c...b1d38da82afad9. Yes, uterine size does limit fetal growth, but that doesn't mean that breeding horses of very different sizes isn't without risk.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'm not following you here. I didn't read anything in that study that contradicts the original pony/draft study. In fact, the study states:

As uterine size is
                                    directly related to the size of the mare, these parameters
                                    will, in turn, govern the area for placentation and, hence,
                                    fetal growth. Indeed, Walton and Hammond (1938) showed
                                    that the size of the mare affects not only the intrauterine
                                    development of her foal but also its postnatal growth rate.
                                    AI was used to cross large Shire horses with small Shetland
                                    ponies; a foal from a Shetland mare was produced that was
                                    half the size of its reciprocal half sibling born from a Shire
                                    mother; these differences in size persisted until adulthood
                                    (Hammond, 1940).

and later in the study:

The results of the present study confirm and extend the
                                    results of earlier studies (Walton and Hammond, 1938;
                                    Tischner, 1985, 1987) to show that foal birth weight is
                                    determined primarily by the total microscopic area of the
                                    allantochorion, independently of the maternal or fetal genotype.
                                    www.foxcreekfarm.com

Comment

Foxcreek, I am very happy for you and wish you the best of luck! I can only imagine how excited you must be! :-)
                                      Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
                                      Standing Stellar TVR, 2013 N.A. Stallion Testing/lifetime licensed WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
                                      www.newhorizonshaflingers.com

Comment

Take a look at the TB foal from the pony mare, and the weights of the TB foals from the pony mother. The TB foals were smaller but still weighed an average of 75 pounds, in comparison to the 50 pound weight of ponies born to pony mares.

You can't just pick and choose what you want from a study to support your point of view; review the study critically, but cherry picking is never a good idea.

What was the n (number of subjects) in the early study? What was the quality of the study?

Btw, I hope this works out well. I've seen some videos of some gorgeous Totilas babies.

Comment

The chart I'm looking at 53.1, 37.9, 33.0, 24kg for, respectively, TinT, PinT, TinP, and PinP.

Pony foal in TB mare was 38kg (83lb) , vs TB foal in Pony mare at 33kg (72lb) vs Pony foal in Pony mare at 53lb.

I find no reference to the height and weight of the pony mares - did I miss it?

It's not nearly as interesting a study if the ponies were all in the 14h range and the TBs all in the 16h range.

Comment

Working...
                                          X