• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Legacy Breedings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Breedings

I was thinking about this yesterday and would love to get other people's opinions.

What is the overall concensus on "legacy breedings"? People who have that *heart* horse and want to breed so that they have a horse to carry on the legacy of their favorite horse. Often these horses aren't perfect conformationally or great athletes, but often have a redeeming quality that makes them favored by their owners.

I myself wonder how many of the foals from these legacy breedings are kept on to be the next "heart horse" and how many are sold when they didn't meet expectations.

So what says you about this trend? How many of you have done a legacy breeding and what was your outcome - keep or sell?

I am a big believer that anyone can breed any mare to any stallion provided they plan to keep the foal regardless of the outcome. If they are breeding to sell, a lot more thought has to go into it. Of course there is luck involved either way but the stakes are much higher for the horse if it has to be commercial.
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I am doing a legacy breeding - to Legaczy, ironically - this year.

However, my mare has fabulous bloodlines and a performance record, along with excellent conformation. I am breeding for myself and will be keeping the foal as my next performance horse. I want a carbon copy of my mare, just taller, which is good, because looks-wise the mare and stud could be related, however he is 17.1 to her large framed 15.3.

Comment

• Original Poster

I guess I bring it up because while in the process of casually horse shopping for my next horse, my barn owner asked me why don't I just breed my mare because I said "I'm having a hard time with looking at other horses because I've been so spoiled by her."

My mare is a saint. She's my all around bombproof packer with a good sense of humor. She's not the most athletic horse but has a fantastic brain and is one of the most sensible horses I've ever known. I would have a barn full of her if I had the $$ to clone her.

She's a heavy bred hunter - an odd cross of appy and irish draught. She has size and substance with appy color. Her conformation is a bit weird. She has a huge head, short thick neck and a longer back. Short, heavy legs and a very wide barrel. My biggest beef with her is that she toes out a bit in front but it doesn't seem to impede her movement. In fact, she has a very classic, flat knee hunter way of going. She doesn't deviate or paddle through the shoulder. I've lived with it the last twelve years and it hasn't affected us in the least.

The mare has been bred twice. First pregnancy was aborted due to missed twins on the ultrasound and the second pregnancy was a live birth but in breeding her to an appy stud, we wound up with a filly who had congenital eye issues due to the appy dominate genetics. She was euthanized at 5 years old due to severe photophobia. This filly though had her mom's same sweet, easy going attitude. It killed me to have to put her down but it was the best thing we could do for her.

If (an this is a huge if!) I were to breed her, I will not breed to an appy or knabstrupper to mitigate the chance for the eye issues we experienced with the filly. I am considering breeding her to a TB for refinement and to possibly correct the neck. I wouldn't be adverse to a section D welsh as I'm ok with a smaller horse (The mare is 15.1hh). I love Limet Hurry though but I think his type is much too similar to my mare.

I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons right now. With the nature of the horse industry I'm just not sure if, even though I would keep this foal, whether it's a responsible choice to be making.

Comment

I bred my mare to Sinatra Song as he is known to stamp his offspring. I got exactly what I wanted: my mare's brain and Sinatra's body. My colt is 4 years old and is a keeper for me.

I would have been happy with any variation that turned out. I did some studying before proceeding with the breeding. Both stallion and mare are quality horses from established breeders, so I mitigated some of the risk.

Further details are that my mare is breeding stock Arabian and has several generations of consistent horses with international and national ratings.

She has a lovely high set on neck, exotic looks, and a powerful, correct hind end. She can really concentrate and work. Her bad features I can live with: sometimes tense and spooky, has a short back with tight saddle position, and a medium quality canter.

Breeding to Sinatra Song was a like to like breeding. Both are leggy and elegant horses.

The resulting gelding is now 4 years old and under saddle. He's supply, elastic, uphill and a wonderful mover. I'd have a hard time affording such a high quality horse.
          Last edited by shall; May. 1, 2013, 08:37 PM. Reason: further thought

Comment

I have a few thoughts on this. First, if you are going to keep the horse forever, no matter what, then who am I to tell you what to do?

I, personally, would not breed a horse like you describe. I think it is nice that you are putting thought into it, btw. I can always find a sweet lovable horse that has a few conformation quirks and isn't going to the Olympics in a low price range. Heck, Ive found ones with nice conformation (just a bit green) when you open it up to mixed bloodlines. They are also ready to ride (i.e. you don't have 3-4 years of expense first). I've done this many, many times. Breeding one would be WAY more expensive and you may also spend a load of money and have nothing to show for it (as you know from the previous foals). Bad things happen. Weigh the risk vs. reward.

Second, I strongly believe you breed an animal that will contribute to the breed and/or sport (personal feelings on breeding anything).

Third, just because she is a sweatheart doesn't mean the foal will be. Some of the nasty horses in this world came from sweet moms. For example, you can even have full siblings and have quite different personalities. I'm not saying you won't usually get a sweatheart, but there are no guarantees. So take her limitations and then add the possiblity of a sullen, or lazy, spooky, or whatever attitude that isn't a match to mom's. Now what? Don't count on the stallion to fix that neck or leg length. It's nice when that happens, but I would never count on that. Also, are you comfortable with the risks to breeding your heart-horse?

So those are my thoughts on breeding in general, BUT in the end, she is your horse and I believe in the right to do what you want, so long as you take responsiblity for the outcome.
            DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

I think it would be much easier and way cheaper to find another one with a super temperament rather than breed and hope for the best. Particularly if you are open to all breeds and could live with horses of her same athletic abilities and size.

Comment

While we do breed to sell - I do have some legacy breeding hiding around the place. The first time I did a legacy breeding, I was 17 years old and got permission (dubiously) from my parents to do so. Im.. well not saying how old I am now.!

That initial legacy breeding... which was a filly - her great grand daughter is standing in my pasture and today after work - we shall be going for a lovely ride
                Originally posted by ExJumper
                Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Comment

That sounds very satisfying. Sometimes we just love and feel committed to a horse.

Originally posted by rainechyldes View Post
                  While we do breed to sell - I do have some legacy breeding hiding around the place. The first time I did a legacy breeding, I was 17 years old and got permission (dubiously) from my parents to do so. Im.. well not saying how old I am now.!

That initial legacy breeding... which was a filly - her great grand daughter is standing in my pasture and today after work - we shall be going for a lovely ride

Comment

Originally posted by password View Post
                    I think it would be much easier and way cheaper to find another one with a super temperament rather than breed and hope for the best. Particularly if you are open to all breeds and could live with horses of her same athletic abilities and size.
                    I'm going to second this. I fox hunt and have gotten to know some great draft crosses through it (we have deep, thick, sticky black mud out there and drafties handle it considerably better than the lighter horses) - so I know they're out there. And many are just as you describe - old hunter types.

Comment

I have been thinking about this and I don't think it counts as a legacy breeding if you intend to sell the foal. A sale foal is a sale foal and you have to take your heart out of the equation and breed the best to the best.
                      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

I personally wouldn't breed a mare as you describe her. To echo the previous poster who said if you are planning to keep the foal, who are we to tell you no!

I have had several other mares that I liked, but weren't, IMO, breeding quality. One was a big 16.2 TB mare - sweet, great work ethic, and pretty - but she had a longish back and required a lot of regular work to keep her fit and therefore not weak behind. I wouldn't breed her, even though I had plenty of people telling me to - I am not expecting a stallion to fix those flaws!

As I said earlier, my mare that I will be breeding this year, I wouldn't be upset with a carbon copy of her. I think that is the key - IF you are breeding, you need to be ok with getting what you already have. And if what you have is, in some way, mediocre (either conformationally, performance-wise, etc - and I don't mean to imply mediocre is bad, by any means, just "average"), AND you are planning on keeping it, then go ahead.

Comment

I was talking with a local trainer about one of her horses, who she'd bred 15 years ago. I asked something about why she'd chosen to breed the mare. She said take the worst traits of the mare and the worst traits of the stallion and imagine them mixed into one horse. If you would still be happy with that horse, then breed. Otherwise, don't take a chance.

Comment

I bred my RID mare last year to a WB Rafael with the idea this might be a keeper. The mare is my heart horse Here is the foals pedigree http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/eponas+rose+of+tralee
                            She is refined and the sweetest thing. She was born Sat night and is on FB also. http://s7.photobucket.com/user/horse...95580657061952
                            Epona Farm
                            Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                            X