• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone Have This Issue with Their Mare(s)?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Have This Issue with Their Mare(s)?

Hi All,

We had our only foal born this year; a filly. This is the mare's ninth foal. This mare is a very easy keeper. She is at a farm of about 30ish mares to foal each year and she's on a good feeding program. Trust me when I say she is in great physical condition.
    However, without fail her foals are scrawny little things upon birth. This filly is no exception and actually one of the more glaring examples. We have retained and raced every foal of hers that was physically capable and talented enough to do so but most of them have taken several years to mature and they almost invariably look the same upon birth: small, underdeveloped. Meanwhile, mama mare is always in beautiful flesh. Usually the best things for her foals is weaning.

I am not really looking for suggestions as we're pretty comfortable with her (and her foals') care, and she has has pretty successful foals overall (albeit late-maturing) but has anyone else experienced this on a consistent basis from a broodmare? It seems to me some mares give so much nutrition to foals (to the detriment of their own condition) and this mare always looks great and her foals look pitiful until they're weaned off.

Anyone else?

Lots of foals bare born looking scrawny. DO you have pictures of them from birth to weaning so we can compare? Maybe adding something like Rejuvenaide to the foal once old enough (5 days old to start I think) may do the trick. We use it for foals that are contracted but they sure do bloom after being on it too. It is a vitamin and mineral drench that can be squirted right into the foals mouth and not fed through mom. How is her milk? Do she produce enough. Maybe someone could suggest something to add to help increase production.
    Here is a link to read about it.
    http://www.prognutrition.com/rejuvenaideplus.html
    Good luck!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Comment

A friend always swore that if the mare was too fat, there was no room for the foal to grow. From weaning until three months before the due date her mares were on pasture and/or hay only. Her broodmares were alway thin to the point of seeing ribs. Three month before their due date, she would separate the mare and start feeding her. Then she would slowly increase the food amount until she was feeding 14 - 16 pounds a day. She said this way she was feeding the foal for growth and since the mare was thin, there was room for the foal to grow.

My mares are fed year round and in good condition. The foals they produced have been born around 39 - 40 inches an 80 pounds (first foals). Her foals were born 40 + inches and 120 + pounds. So, there is definately something to her theory. Her foals also matured quicker then the ones I produced.

Comment

I have a mare that makes little foals but they have all matures to 16.1-16.2 hands by 5. Noe have looked dysmature at birth and all have been in good flesh as foals. I chalk it up to ease of foaling - little foals come out easily and are easy on the mares.
        Cindy Bergmann
        Canterbury Court
        559-903-4814
        www.canterbury-court.com

Comment

I would hate to interfere with this mare by trying to get bigger foals only to have her be injured or die as a result of a big baby.

Comment

Scrawny newborns are common but they should put on weight quickly and become well covered by 2 months. I have a mare that always has her foals 2 weeks early, they are always scrawny little things with no meat at all. The mare produces a lot of milk and the foals all turn to fat butter balls in no time, while she becomes a ribby nightmare. She eats me broke when she has a foal on her!

But I suspect you are talking more about this type of scenario:
            I have another mare who had her first foal this season. It was born strong and straight but so skinny, not a scrap of fat on it. After 2 months it was drinking well and was very fit and healthy but still looked lean and under-fed with a patchy coat compared to my much fatter sleek-coated foals. The mare however was fattish and shiny and eating a fraction of additional feed compared to the others. Seems she feeds herself before her foal! I have been creep-feeding it and it has had a B-vit boost but on the advice of my vet I will wean this foal early.

Comment

I also believe that EZ keeper, pudgy broodmare tend to have scrawny foals. Mama's belly fat crowds the foal. If they are healthy and recover well, I don't know that I would mess with the mare's nutrition level. It is hard to know how much you should trim down the mare's hay/grass intake.
              www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
              Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

I actually prefer scrawny foals. The mares have an easier time delivering them and they tend to have less growth related issues.

I do disagree a bit with the easy keeper thought process in the fact that I haven't seen a correlation. I have had easy keepers with bloomy foals as well as hard keepers with bloomy foals. The only time I have a scrawny foal past birth is when the mare isn't producing adequate milk and I have had both easy keepers and hard keepers do this.

Comment

I agree, SJ66. I haven't seen a link with fat mares and scrawny foals either. I have a small but perennially fat mare that always has well covered newborns that turn into chubby gutter-bums in no time.

Comment

Ditto this.
                    www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                    "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                    Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Kerole View Post

But I suspect you are talking more about this type of scenario:
                      I have another mare who had her first foal this season. It was born strong and straight but so skinny, not a scrap of fat on it. After 2 months it was drinking well and was very fit and healthy but still looked lean and under-fed with a patchy coat compared to my much fatter sleek-coated foals. The mare however was fattish and shiny and eating a fraction of additional feed compared to the others. Seems she feeds herself before her foal! I have been creep-feeding it and it has had a B-vit boost but on the advice of my vet I will wean this foal early.
                      This is precisely what I mean. This mare never looks like she missed a meal in her life, but the foals look like refugees more often than not.
                      I don't have many suckling vs. weanling photos, but I can give a couple scrawny babies as reference and how they ended up size-wise:

Mare's second foal (filly): http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...tml?sort=3&o=3
                      She's a big ol' girl now, at 8 yrs of age. She has had two foals herself now as well; here's her with her first: http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...ml?sort=3&o=35

Mare's third foal (colt):
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...tml?sort=6&o=6
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...tml?sort=3&o=7
                      Oh! here's one of him at about weaning age--he was actually in pretty good shape minus that hole in his abdomen wall that was repaired:
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...ml?sort=3&o=25
                      He's I guess maybe just at 16 hands but he's her second-tallest after the filly above. He's 7 now and still racing well for us.

Here's the newest filly (she is a full sister to the filly above) and I swear, she looks a lot beefier in this photo than she actually is! This does show her beefy mom pretty well though :
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...tml?sort=6&o=1
                      Front shot:
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Roux...tml?sort=6&o=0

This mare does foal really easily, usually. Two years ago she did foal a colt backwards and upside down that was a real peanut and that probably helped them both survive. Mare got a year off last year because of it; the colt's now two and has finally hit a growth spurt.
                      Last edited by Big_Tag; Apr. 8, 2013, 09:01 PM. Reason: added pic

Comment

The foals look very typical of a blooded foal. Most of ours look this when born.

Comment

I also think your foal looks just normal.
                          www.EquusMagnificus.ca
                          Breeding & Sales
                          Facebook | YouTube

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by EquusMagnificus View Post
                            I also think your foal looks just normal.
                            See, I am glad to hear that bc they honestly don't really fit the profile of most of the foals born on this farm. I should also point out they're Standardbreds, not Thoroughbreds. Her foals look underdeveloped when compared with the other foals on this farm.

As I said, these foals ultimately turn out okay; her smallest to date is her 4-year-old, who might top out at 15.1 but is built like a little Quarter Horse. They are just glaringly smaller/more underdeveloped than the others I'm seeing off this farm, as a general rule.

Comment

I so know what you mean! There's no point in posting pics of my runty one because it will look like a perfectly healthy newborn and 3 month old. BUT compared to the other foals of similar breeding and age, he is a scrawny under-fed looking thing. Smaller, ribby, with clear poverty lines, and a horrible coat. My vet says he is growing fine and he will come right but that the mare doesn't put much in her milk (she keeps it for herself!). He will be weaned shortly so I can get more nutrients into him.

Comment

It could be that the mare has a uterous that is less...functional?...where the foal gets enough but no extra. I think there is a difference between scrawny with no extra flesh but still thriving and dismature which is less than thriving and needs assistance. It sound like you have the first type and I also kind of like foals like that for foaling ease but I have a large breed(IDs) that can have big foals. I am always considering prior history of dams and sires when making my matches. Personally I am coming to think too big foals are more a mare issue but I will always choose a stallion for that type of mare carefully. The only disadvantage I have seen is they don't look as pretty for their first pictures as they need to plump up a bit. PatO

Comment

I agree PatO. I'm not overly concerned about my scrawny foal but he is a bit embarassing to look at! Funny you should mention to overly big ones - I've had a couple of those too! Last year's filly was MASSIVE at birth with quite a bit of meat on her. She grew at an alarming rate and the mare had a bag like a cow. On my vet's insistance she was weaned at 3 months to monitor her feed intake and better manage her growth rate. As a yearling I have tried to keep her from getting too top heavy to limit the risk of growth issues in her limbs. This year's half borther isn't as big but is still big enough. The vet is equally concerned that he is growing too fast and that mamma has enough milk to feed a herd of foals. He is 4 months and looks like a 6-7month old. He will weaned this week.

The big, top heavy ones are MUCH harder to manage than the scrawnies!

Comment

Working...
                                  X