• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Young Horse Training Session with Scott Hassler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's needed is a breeder's coop that hires a young horse trainer from Germany. The east coast is certainly dense in breeders. Set up the co-op so that that the young horse trainer would be in (say) four areas of the east coast for three months in each area (minus a week in each area for vacation).

Set it up the way the TB industry sets up stallions with a certain number of foals per breeder allowed for training. Or the way sports palaces sell seat licenses. Or universities sell season tickets to fans who make a big "donation" for the right to buy season tickets. What I'm thinking is that each breeder would 'buy" a license to send a certain number of foals to the trainer each year. The licenses could be bought and sold on the open market so if a breeder didn't have a foal that year, s/he could sell that year's license to a breeder who didn't buy a license but had a young horse that needed training. Same horse could go for several years, or different horses could go. Foal owner would also have the option of sending a rider.

You'd have to work out how many licenses would fund the employee expenses of the trainer per year; said trainer would be an employee of the Co-op, so s/he would be relieved of the financial end of things. Salary? Negotiated? Co-op would set the qualifications and go looking to fill the slot. The money that the initial license sale brought in would go to pay the initial expenses and salary and a reserve. The co-op members would set fees and could either a) set members' fees lower than non-members', or b) have everyone pay the same for training and issue dividends at the end of the year. What would be required is the breeders committee, backed up by a contract and a hefty chunk of money up front for the licenses.

Another option would be to set the initial license fee for each foal so high that members would could get free training, but each year's training license could be freely transferred. The TB stallion industry has many ways to use their syndicate breedings. That's why looking there for a model would make sense to me.

If the need is great and the trainer is good, why wouldn't this work.

The Barn Owners where the trainer works would also be compensated by the Co-op and would need to be co-op members.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Here is what I was told regarding selection criteria for the YH training sessions:

1 - experience/success of rider in previous years' YH program. This helps indicate if the rider has a good understanding of YH training and the YH program in general. For instance, they like to see a rider who finished well in national Y/H rankings in previous years.

2 - have the horse/rider combo participated in the previous year's YH training sessions, and if so, did they indicate talent for the YH program?

3 - they want a range of ages for the horses in the training sessions (i.e., some 4 y/o's, some 5 y/o's, some 6 y/o's.

4 - whether the rider has submitted a letter of intent to compete in the national YH championships. Although the deadline for this isn't until May 15, some folks file it pretty early (it's available via USEF as early as Dec 1). They look at the pool of submitted letters of intent, and give strong consideration to those candidates based on horse and rider qualifications.

I imagine Scott also has some personal preferences - i.e., has he worked with the rider before, and has she demonstrated a good understanding of YH training principles?

All these are taken into consideration, and some of the selections can be a bit surprising. For instance, at a previous clinic, one of the horses was a young Saddlebred. The rider had finished well in previous YH national rankings with her WB gelding (now showing FEI), and she got selected for the clinic to fill the slot of another rider who was injured just before the clinic and couldn't ride. The fill-in rider was training the young SB for its owner, who competes at Intermediare on her Saddlebred mare and wanted another SB to bring along in dressage.

Comment

OP, can't help you with your predicament and I'm very sorry cuz girl, you got it going on! But I just wanted to say cruising on your website, I LOVE the levitating baby!!!!!
        I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

• Original Poster

Hahahaha - Thanks Megaladon! I got a good chuckle from your post

DY - I agree with everything that you said in your post, but it still seems very odd to me that they would make these selections without actually SEEING the young horses! Also, the selection criteria seem to be very rider-based. I know you need a good rider but I would think the most basic criteria would be the quality of the horse and then you build from there. The way they are doing seems to be with tunnel vision.
          Eliza
          www.foxwoodhanoverians.com

Comment

1 - experience/success of rider in previous years' YH program. This helps indicate if the rider has a good understanding of YH training and the YH program in general. For instance, they like to see a rider who finished well in national Y/H rankings in previous years.

2 - have the horse/rider combo participated in the previous year's YH training sessions, and if so, did they indicate talent for the YH program?
            Oh great! That's fair! The only ones who can go are the ones who have gone before and have been successful? How in the name of whatever can anyone else get a chance to learn? What if those riders who have gone before move on to, say, PSG to GP horses? With whom do you replace them when no one else can get the training? This is ridiculous!!!
            Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
            Now apparently completely invisible!

Comment

I agree...giving preference to riders who have gone before is simply not a good selection process for choosing potential YH prospects. Essentially then if you have a nice young horse you will have to send them for training to these select few riders to even get them seen! Ugh, another layer of politics.
              Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
              http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
              http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

Originally posted by Tiki View Post
                Oh great! That's fair! The only ones who can go are the ones who have gone before and have been successful? How in the name of whatever can anyone else get a chance to learn? What if those riders who have gone before move on to, say, PSG to GP horses? With whom do you replace them when no one else can get the training? This is ridiculous!!!
                If they have "moved on" and no longer have a horse in the specified age group, they are not in the selection pool - and wouldn't have submitted an application for the YH training sessions.

And the criteria I listed above are some of the things they take into consideration. I do not believe they are the ONLY criteria, because we had some riders at our YH clinic a few months ago that were new to the YH training program. For instance, we had several who had never been in a USEF training session before. They got selected because the horse/rider had good results in either YH classes or "standard" dressage classes. And there were other riders who had never done the YH training sessions but had finished well in national YH rankings in previous years. But there were also some riders who HAD previously been in the YH training sessions, and they were selected because they had demonstrated good talent for developing young horses. We actually had one rider who wanted to bring 3-4 horses, and she had demonstrated success training young horses, had done well in previous years in the national YH program, always had good quality horses, etc. But they only gave her one slot so they could fill the other slots with other horses/riders - some of whom (as mentioned) had never done the YH training sessions before. So there was a good mix of riders who HAD been in the training sessions before and riders who had NOT been in them before and NOT made the national rankings before.

Comment

But the fact still remains that if this current process and "Coach" were functioning correctly, the number of YH in the classes would be increasing significantly and more importantly the SCORES for the compeititons would be steadily moving upwards. Neither is happening. I know many people with YH who just give up on using the current process because the selection system is behind closed doors all the time. And how many trips to Europe does the Coach have to take to understand the system?? Shouldn't that person already be capable and knowledgeable to just get the job?
                  Summit Sporthorses Ltd. Inc.
                  "Breeding Competition Partners & Lifelong Friends"

Comment

Originally posted by ise@ssl View Post
                    But the fact still remains that if this current process and "Coach" were functioning correctly, the number of YH in the classes would be increasing significantly and more importantly the SCORES for the compeititons would be steadily moving upwards. Neither is happening. I know many people with YH who just give up on using the current process because the selection system is behind closed doors all the time. And how many trips to Europe does the Coach have to take to understand the system?? Shouldn't that person already be capable and knowledgeable to just get the job?
                    Maybe folks who have a better candidate in mind need to lobby USEF to make a change. Have you discussed your concerns with Hallye Griffin? Or anyone else at USEF?

Comment

DY - I'm not sure what your experience has been with the USEF. They seem to be a "closed house". Members can contact them and make suggestions but the process with these committees with people who have been on them for decades doesn't seem to be open to change.
                      Last edited by ise@ssl; Apr. 16, 2013, 09:56 AM.

Comment

DY - I'm not sure what your experience has been with the USEF. They seem to be a "closed house". Members can contact them and make suggestions but the process with these committees with people who have been on them for decades don't seem to be open to change.
                        Agreed... and the result over the past decade back this up.
                        Logres Farm on Facebook
                        http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
                        http://logresdobermans.com/

Comment

DY - I'm not sure what your experience has been with the USEF. They seem to be a "closed house". Members can contact them and make suggestions but the process with these committees with people who have been on them for decades doesn't seem to be open to change.
                          Oh, believe me - I have had my own share of problems with USEF over the years. But if you don't at least try addressing your concerns through official channels, then no one at USEF will know about them. I doubt they spend much time reading this forum.

Comment

Wow. Just reading this thread. We have participated in these classes for the last five years and gone to the Championships the last four. They are fun classes for the right horse. Scott Hassler is not the problem. The judges are (-:

I had my Young Horse rider ride a four year old and receive a lecture on not giving the right canter aides. Only then to have her ride my six year old that became the East Coast Six Year Old Winner. Guess the rider DID know how to ride after all (-:

Anyway, after supporting this program for five years, I will not this year. The memo to send the money by April 30th or be out for the Championships turned me off. And I totally agree with Siegi's post. I go to Germany a few times for the past 10 years and know how these classes are judged. And if we expect to send horses to Germany to compete, we better darn well learn how to judge these classes.

You do not hear insulting comments in Germany. But here in the US, you better have your big boy pants on, as the judges are just plain insulting.
                            Nancy Holowesko
                            www.crosiadorefarm.com
                            Breeders of GOV Horses for Dressage

Comment

Originally posted by Crosiadore View Post
                              Wow. Just reading this thread. We have participated in these classes for the last five years and gone to the Championships the last four. They are fun classes for the right horse. Scott Hassler is not the problem. The judges are (-:

I had my Young Horse rider ride a four year old and receive a lecture on not giving the right canter aides. Only then to have her ride my six year old that became the East Coast Six Year Old Winner. Guess the rider DID know how to ride after all (-:

Anyway, after supporting this program for five years, I will not this year. The memo to send the money by April 30th or be out for the Championships turned me off. And I totally agree with Siegi's post. I go to Germany a few times for the past 10 years and know how these classes are judged. And if we expect to send horses to Germany to compete, we better darn well learn how to judge these classes.

You do not hear insulting comments in Germany. But here in the US, you better have your big boy pants on, as the judges are just plain insulting.
                              You're spot on, Nancy. The judging in the YH classes is ridiculously inconsistent.

I Rode at YH Championships in 2010, and was SHOCKED at how many horses there were barely able to be ridden. Horses being led from the warmup to the ring by a lunge line (it was all of about 15 feet), bolting, bucking, etc IN the show ring, etc. It was absurd. The horse I was there with may not have flung his legs
                              Ike crazy, which is apparently what they were looking for, but at least he was calm, obedient and rideable.

Comment

Well you can make book on the fact that the judging is consistently ...inconsistent. It's like the Breed shows - huge differences in scoring and while we can certainly accept that can happen with the movement scores because it can vary on that day in that class with a youngster, the bigger issue is huge ranges in the conformation scores. Young horses don't change that much from one class to another.
                                The nasty comments by some of the judges should result in their being pulled from that position. Giving constructive criticism is what they are hired to do - not humiliate and demean riders or their horses. But it seems to be a big ego trip for many of the judges. And it's obviously not having a positive impact on the entire Young Horse program because we are NOT seeing a consistent expansion of horses that have scores on par with European counterparts.

Comment

So why don't they have more experienced judges judging these shows? Experienced as in that they've judged young horse classes in Germany/Holland ect?
                                  www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.

Comment

to Ticofuzzy, the OP

Originally posted by ticofuzzy View Post
                                    ...it still seems very odd to me that they would make these selections without actually SEEING the young horses! Also, the selection criteria seem to be very rider-based. I know you need a good rider but I would think the most basic criteria would be the quality of the horse and then you build from there.
                                    There's an article currently on Dressage News about the Young Horse program and I thought of you. Did you ever get a reply from USEF or Scott Hassler?

The article says "Efforts to reach out by offering training sessions at strategic locations around the country where there are concentrations of young horses and that are open to everyone, including breeders, [Scott Hassler] said, “has been a big hit.”

Where did you end up with this ?

Link to the article http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=21376

Comment

• Original Poster

I got no response from anyone....
                                      Eliza
                                      www.foxwoodhanoverians.com

Comment

Originally posted by ticofuzzy View Post
                                        I got no response from anyone....
                                        ^^^This makes me sad.
                                        www.sauconycreeksporthorses.com
                                        Dedicated to breeding Friesian Sporthorses
                                        with world class pedigrees and sport suitability

Comment

I think I would email them again, and put BOTH their names/email addresses in there, so they know you have contacted both of them. I would express my disappointment at 1) not being selected, and 2) not getting a response to the previous email regarding the selection procedures. I might even say something like, "I am hoping to receive a reply by (pick a date - maybe in two weeks), otherwise I will try to get some answers elsewhere."

Then, if I didn't get a response by the deadline, I would escalate by sending an email to the entire sport horse committee. I would make it very clear in the email that I was emailing ALL of them, and also explain that I have tried several times to get a reply from both Hallye and Scott, but neither one has responded. And I would put a "read receipt" on the email, so I know when they have opened it. If I STILL didn't get a response, I think I would be tempted to try to corner them in a public place - at a show, clinic, meeting, convention, etc. And yes, I know this would all very likely result in me being considered "persona non grata" by USEF.

My guess is they don't have a real good reason for not picking you, other than they had more horses than they needed in that age group. But it would be nice if they would at least TELL you that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X