• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can you handle another eventing stallion discussion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you handle another eventing stallion discussion?

Hi all,

Looking for some out of the box ideas, as I seem to be going though the same ones over and over again. I would like to breed my TB/Han. mare for an eventing baby. This foal would be for myself, and hopefully an upper level prospect.

About my mare: she is by Babamist out of an Abundance (Hanoverian) mare. She evented through the CCI** level with Buck Davidson (back when CCI's were still long format) and then took me through my young rider years, with several years at the prelim/CCI* level before retiring her at the age of 17. She is built like a tank, was an XC machine, was sound as a pound, and got fit by breathing And she packed my teenage butt around many-a-prelim course!

We bred her twice already, although we lost one foal very young. I have her eight month old son on the ground now - he is by the Hanoverian stallion For Play, and I love everything about him. He was a bit of a pistol early on, but gelding seems to have cured that! He so far seems to be a lovely mover and is extremely brave and confident. I guess time will tell, but I am very excited about his future. Obviously, another For play baby isn't in the cards because of For Play's untimely passing last fall. I would love to breed the mare again, but am having a hard time coming up with ideas that I like.

Here are my requirements:
    1. Not frozen - she is older and we had trouble getting her in foal the first time - given her age, I don't want to mess around with frozen.
    2. Good temperament - this is probably her biggest weakness. While I adore her, she was tricky and definitely not everyone's cup of tea! She is quit sensitive, though not your typical "hot" horse, so I would like to use a stallion known for throwing well-tempered babies.
    3. Pretty tall. I am 5'10", mare is 16.1. While I love those Connemara crosses, I don't think they are right for us.
    4. Good uphill balance - mare is not downhill herself, but not uphill either, so that could be improved.
    5. Good mover/jumper - of course we all want this in every stallion, right? Mare was a decent, but not spectacular mover and jumper (I would say she was more workmanlike than fancy). Galloping cross country was always her strong point, with SJ/dressage being more of a struggle (though that was partly temperament - see #2).

I have read a lot of the other eventing sire threads, but none of the stallions I have come across yet have quite fit my requirements or piqued my interest. Also, and this is not intended as an insult to anyone as it is only a personal preference, but I am generally not a huge Trakhener fan - you can try and convince me, but it might be a hard sell I have generally thought, given my requirements and her strengths/weaknesses, that a full TB stallion wouldn't be the best match for her either (despite the fact that she isn't full TB, she definitely rides like one) but would be curious to hear opinions on that. There are a few thoroughbred stallions here in North America that I like, but I am just unsure if that is the best match for her. I am willing to take the risk on something without proven eventing offspring if the fit is right.

I should also add that I am not concerned about registry at all.

Thanks! I love reading these threads and will be interested to see what discussion this one brings!

First thing I'd do if I were you would be to go to the USEF and look at the 2012 leading eventing sire list. Get a feel for what bloodlines are doing well here. Then take a look at some of the top German horses who are registered with Hannover, like Dibo's FRH Fantasia and see how she's bred. Then see if you can find comparable bloodlines in the US. I just looked and she is 1/4th SF, so you might be interested in some of the SFs who have produced event horses in the US.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

A Fine Romance would be my first choice.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Acorn Hill - http://acornhillfarm.com/Irish_Stallions.html
        http://www.klearyfield.com/jackofhearts.html
        http://www.dkhirishdraughtsporthorses.ca/stallions/
        http://www.lonetreefarm.net/stallions.htm
        http://www.debracysporthorses.com/De..._Accounts.html
        Epona Farm
        Irish Draughts and Irish Draught Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Laurierace - I love love love AFR but I read on another thread that he isn't booking to any more mares this season.

Viney - the SF idea is an interesting one. I'll need to dig around and figure out what is available in the US.

Comment

Well if a trakehner stallion could tempt you it might be Tatendrang-he has legs that go forever and seems to pass that along. His dressage is tops and he has progress quickly in his eventing.
            https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tatendrang

one of my favorite pictures
            https://www.facebook.com/Tatendrang#...type=3&theater
            Last edited by omare; Mar. 25, 2013, 10:59 PM. Reason: add

Comment

Second Tatendrang.

Another you might look at is the newly imported Halimey Go, currently eventing with Michael Pollard. His temperament is apparently exemplary - his sire is an Anglo-Arab and his dam a TB x Trakehner.

Virginian Sky might be worth a look at too - he's basically an Anglo Arabian - approved both in the Sport Arabian stud book and Trakehner. He's eventing with Natalie Rooney-Pitts.

Good luck!
              www.juniperridgeranch.us
              Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

If I was looking for French blood I might investigate the Pollards Querdolan, and I've been secretly pondering the possibilities for Edelweiss De Bonce. Competed as a pure dressage horse but his pedigree screams jump. ( you said out of the box)

I'm going to go even farther out of the box and say I have a Palladio filly that I can't say enough good things about, and that everybody who has seen her loves. She is fancy, level headed confident and kind. Palladio also has a newly approved stallion son who is being produced as an eventer. I'd breed to him again in a heart beat.
                Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
                Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
                www.phoenixsporthorses.com
                Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

Comment

If Canada isn't too much of a stretch, besides the two that Phoenix Farm mentioned, take a look at Ilian de Taute. I was going to suggest Edelweiss de Bonce as a possible.

If you're open to TBs, Sea Lion started Rolex last year, but didn't finish. His TB name is Sea Elephant. He's a confirmed 3* horse and was just approved by the ATA. His immediate sire line (Sea Salute) has produced several excellent sport horses, including Sylva Martin's pure dressage Sea Lord. Not sure of the temperament though.

Comment

http://www.redbayonline.com/~da0043/ilian-de-taute/
                    http://www.redbayonline.com/~da0043/stallions/

You read my mind Viney...

Comment

Look up Rather Well on his FB page. He is currently eventing at the Advanced level, is a jaw dropping and brave jumper, is a super nice stallion temperament wise and all of his offspring seem to have inherited that same jumping ability and temperament

What about Bliss MF? Gatsby? Guaranteed Gold?

Have fun in your search!
                      www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                      www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

Querdolan is available frozen only. Guaranteed Gold has no FEI offspring, and all but one of his USEF offspring have done nothing over jumps since 2008. The one is a very nice 1/2 QH children's jumper, but all the rest have done only hunter breeding. (I just researched all his offspring at the USEF). Rather Well has no FEI offspring and no FEI record himself. I have not yet done a USEF search on his offspring.

Comment

Rather Well has an FEI record.
                          https://data.fei.org/Horse/Performan...70436ACEE12637
                          He has several offspring competing at preliminary. He has at least two offspring that have gone intermediate.
                          He is probably the most qualified of all the currently available TB stallions.

Comment

I always watch these threads with interest, as I hope to be in this market in the next year or two

Two that JER has used that I think are interesting are Flexible and an Akhal-Teke named Super Star. She's been positive about him. I think the Flexible foal is due this year?

I also spoke with Mary Hazzard and she had a filly by Soprano that she was VERY high on. Really could not say enough nice things about her. Not sure if she was under saddle yet--she was either just started or close, based on the age alone.
                            Last edited by Simkie; Mar. 26, 2013, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Snowford O'Donnell RID. He has some nice eventing sport horse offspring out of thoroughbred mares. Plus he is very level headed and athletic.
                              A horse will save me

Comment

Color me embarassed. The Dutch Database that I use to start looking for FEI results is obviously incomplete. I've emailed the database with Rather Well's FEI record and his pedigree. They are Dutch and focus more on dressage and jumping, so perhaps North American eventing slipped through a crack in his case.
                                I'll never make that mistake again. It's now burned into my memory.

Originally posted by Hony View Post
                                Rather Well has an FEI record.
                                https://data.fei.org/Horse/Performan...70436ACEE12637
                                He has several offspring competing at preliminary. He has at least two offspring that have gone intermediate.
                                He is probably the most qualified of all the currently available TB stallions.

Comment

JER is not a Cruising fan. Her pick this year was Flexible.

Comment

I second Halimey, impeccable temperament and plenty of offspring on the ground (in Europe) to prove he is no exception. His direct dam line is the one of Hohenstein - Trakehner or not, one of the most proven rideability and "cooperation" producers the warmblood world has seen so far. Huge success in Hanover too.
                                    www.trakehners-international.com
                                    www.fontana-syndikat.de

Comment

Originally posted by vineyridge View Post
                                      First thing I'd do if I were you would be to go to the USEF and look at the 2012 leading eventing sire list. Get a feel for what bloodlines are doing well here.
                                      Generally speaking I would agree with this, however right now I have a problem with the list for 2012. I was concerned to see A Fine Romance so far down the list, and noticed they had not included the quite outstanding 2012 results of his daughter Landmark's Legendary Romance.

http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/pointsA...&badpoints=npb

She is clearly in their database, and he is clearly listed as the sire.
                                      I am not a mathematician, but by my rough calculation her points earned increase A Fine Romance's total to 526, which would put him 13th on the list, ahead of Cavalier Royale.
                                      I have been in touch with the USEF about this, but as of this date, no correction has been made.

(apologies to the OP for taking the thread slightly off course)
                                      A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Babble View Post
                                        Thanks Laurierace - I love love love AFR but I read on another thread that he isn't booking to any more mares this season.

Thank you too Laurierace and thank you Babble.
                                        A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
                                        X