• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can you handle another eventing stallion discussion?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TrueColours View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on Rather Well, Hony. He is a very nice stallion who is producing some very credible offspring and I do agree - out of all of the available TB stallions out there - mine included - he is by far the most qualified and credible as far as eventing sires go ...

Viney - with regards to Guaranteed Gold - agreed - no FEI offspring at this time but we all know how incomplete USEF records can be, especially with horses showing up here in Canada ...

Gatsby also evented and has eventing offspring - just not sure at what levels
    Performance records in Canada for Eventing are easily obtained and tracked through the Equine Canada website. Any inaccuracies in show records should be brought to the immediate attention of the USEF, USEA or EC.

http://equinecanada.ca/eventing/

http://www.usef.org/

http://useventing.com/
    Horsezee

Comment

http://www.sigmawarmbloods.com/stallion/gervantus.html

Forgot about this stallion. He competed GP himself and his son was in the 2008 Olympics for eventing.

Comment

Tatendrang is one to consider for sure.
        San City is also a very nice up and coming event stallion.

Comment

Originally posted by Simkie View Post
          Two that JER has used that I think are interesting are Flexible and an Akhal-Teke named Super Star. She's been positive about him. I think the Flexible foal is due this year?
          Super Star is an awesome stallion. You get refinement, movement, endurance, jump, smarts, a bright shiny coat, and long curvy ears. This is my mare by Super Star.

But my SS mare is an inexplicable 14.2hh, despite having two horse-sized parents. I've looked into this and she's a serious outlier as SS foals tend to be close to their dams in size. But my mare's regular rider is 5'8" and she's also ridden by Mike Plumb, who is quite comfortable on her. As I've said before, I think Super Star is one of the very best stallions available to eventers in North America -- I really do hope my fellow eventers take notice before he's too old.

The Flexible foal didn't happen due to veterinary incompetence so I'll be trying again this year. Despite not being a fan on Cruising, I like Flexible a lot, mostly due to his dam line of exceptional TB jumping mares. Flexible is also frozen only but the contract is very generous.

EMCO has Persiflage available this year. Persiflage is by the TB Primitive Rising and out of a part-Arab mare related to Tamarillo (Persiflage is a product of the same breeding program). Tamarillo is one of the most athletic horses I've ever seen -- it's hard to convey just how elastic and agile he is. Of course he's frozen-only, but a top-notch repro vet can make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsezee View Post
            Performance records in Canada for Eventing are easily obtained and tracked through the Equine Canada website. Any inaccuracies in show records should be brought to the immediate attention of the USEF, USEA or EC.

http://equinecanada.ca/eventing/

http://www.usef.org/

http://useventing.com/
            While this is a useful system for providing some results, it is by no means comprehensive. There are major gaps in the recording of the results in the Equine Canada database which I believe is largely due to the fact that the onus is on the event organizers to submit the results (which many do not). I would hazard a guess (based on my own observations) that about 30% of event results are excluded from this database. When I have sold event horses to American buyers, I am often asked for show records since they assume that we have as efficient a system as the USEA for recording results. I end up having to look up each of the results individually between Eventingnews, Event Entries and the Equine Canada database and sending the links to the interested party.

Comment

I second Sea Lion; I'm interested to see what he produces. I have not met/seen him in person so I am no authority on his temperament, but I really admire his genuineness over fences based on the video footage I've seen; he seems very clever and always tries to get to the other side of the fence. (This is in no way a criticism of his rider; we all miss distances and I, for one, expect my upper level horses to be reasonably honest and help me out from time to time!)

Where do you stand on the addition of some Arab/Shagya blood? I love the idea of Persiflage, I'm excited that he is going to be available in North America. Have you considered Bonaparte N? Sadly also only available by frozen, but definitely worth a look based on performance results and pedigree for sport.

Comment

I recently spoke to Sea Lion's owner Pam and she is very nice and easy to get a hold of. She very willingly sent me his ATA inspection report which is quite impressive. He's definitely an exciting stallion who has been more focused on competition than breeding these last few years. I'm not sure he's the best fit for me, as I prefer something more proven (I'm an amateur and am more risk-averse) and I don't think he has many foals on the ground. He sounds like he has a lovely temperament though and is worth a call to Pam to explore. Tennant Sport Horses represents him and they promptly put me in touch with Pam. He's on my "list" for the future for sure.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Quote: I have not met/seen him in person so I am no authority on his temperament...

I handled him for Pam at his ATA approvals in CA last summer. Very sweet horse, quiet type, good ground manners. He is medium-framed and I was really surprised by his body type - used to German TBs, not this type of substantial body. He did not strike me as "TB" when I just walked up to him. Has a very solid, correct foundation and great feet. You can tell he's seen a bit of the world, he knows what is expected of him also in new settings (he jumped the first free jumping chute of his entire life at that inspection and did very well).
                  I genuinely liked the guy and hope he gets a chance in the US!
                  www.trakehners-international.com
                  www.fontana-syndikat.de

Comment

Navarone at Majestic Gaits crosses well with TBs and is producing good eventers

Comment

My outside the box suggestion would be Lotus T. He doesn't have any in the job at FEI levels. I don't think it's for lack of ability. He just hasn't really been marketed that way. His offspring tend to have easy going personalities and they can jump. There is a lot more $ for A/O jumpers so that seems to be where they end up.

Lotus is quite tall and tends to throw tall (although the odd 16.1 hand baby has popped up) He's a high percentage TB blood, out of a very nice TB mare. He's approved AHHA and RPSI.
                      The rebel in the grey shirt

Comment

Out of the box: Landfriese II. There is frozen available through Rainbow Equus. Lots of TB and he can move and jump.

Comment

Originally posted by Babble View Post
                          Thanks all - this is great info. Some new names tossed around that I hadn't heard before so I have some more research to do. I love the wealth of knowledge available on COTH!

Tasker - unfortunately I am still trying to fill in that blank. My mare came from New Jersey and her dam was a horse named Chatter Box (sired by Abundance), but I don't know Chatter Box's dam's name (I think she was a TB). Any chance (long shot I know ) you remember the mare?

Viney - her For Play foal so far seems to be slightly more refined than she was. I think For Play really improved her front end and her neck, which is great. He looks like his sire from the whithers forward and his dam behind the whithers. These pictures are a bit old (he was at most four months in the later pictures), but you can see at least some of both her and and the foal here. Sorry, no good confo picks though: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=d2f9c7d5d7
                          Hope you can see the album!

Diane - Don't tell me that! I'm afraid this little guy might be a launching pad too! Though gelding mellowed him greatly, so I might have a prayer of staying on!

Love the discussion - keep the ideas coming!
                          Sorry to say I don't know the dam of your mare but for reference purposes, Abundance was here in the 1970's and I was born in '76. It might pay to contact my mom as she rode Babamist as well as Abundance and dozens of his offspring. But fwiw a couple of clients have bred their Babamist mares back into our stallion roster to help settle the mind and add size. There have been mixed results as far as size but the rideability is improved. When bred to stallions that are at least 60% blood, the resulting foals/young horses can pass for full bloods but have not been reliably 16.2+ - some are big and the others are well under 15.1 but that particular mare does not seem to be making "horse" size offspring no matter who the sire is.

The other contact I would recommend is contacting either Bruce or Buck to get their thoughts on breeding suggestions as they (obviously) know her pedigree/performance.
                          Watermark Farm
                          Blog
                          Watermark Farm Facebook Fan Page
                          You Tube Channel

Comment

I have my AFR/Stagedoor Johnny mare in foal to Carracci. Seeing video of his heart and temperment and boldness competing GP with a 12yo was compelling. He also has clever feet and is 1/4 tb with 50% tb blood and has fresh semen. Other Caretino sons have evented upper level, including one in the last Olympics. So my out of box idea for you!

Comment

Though I'm not sure if he would be 'the one' for your mare, I would suggest Pacific Star STV. He has bred some nice intermediate level eventers (think Executive Decision ridden by Jessica Phoenix). He himself was aimed towards the dressage ring - but I have seen his pictures jumping and *wow* is all I can say. We have a young mare by him, coming five, and while she is still very green and learning, the mind and movement can't be beat. She loves to jump, will hack on a buckle and is not phased by anything.

In my experience he does throw size though - our mare is about 16.2 + and still has some growing to do. A half-sister in the barn is about 17 hands and has competed at prelim/training (also young and just getting out). I'm sure the breeder could point you to more offspring that are doing very well but from what I've seen I like.

Here is his page with pictures/information: http://www.travishallequestrian.ca/pacificstar.php

One caveat - if you're aiming for the big events (i.e. Burghley/Rolex) as your definition of upper level, you might want to consider a stallion with more blood than what Pacific Star can offer. However, if you would like to dabble in the mid-big events (i.e. 2 or 3 stars), I think he has shown that his offspring can do it nicely and pack amateurs around!

Comment

Originally posted by *Tradewind* View Post
                                While this is a useful system for providing some results, it is by no means comprehensive. There are major gaps in the recording of the results in the Equine Canada database which I believe is largely due to the fact that the onus is on the event organizers to submit the results (which many do not). I would hazard a guess (based on my own observations) that about 30% of event results are excluded from this database. When I have sold event horses to American buyers, I am often asked for show records since they assume that we have as efficient a system as the USEA for recording results. I end up having to look up each of the results individually between Eventingnews, Event Entries and the Equine Canada database and sending the links to the interested party.
                                Good to know.

I am more familiar with the USEF. I know with USEF you can search Horse Recordings inputting the sire's name to find all of his recorded offspring. Then you can look up each individual horse's show results almost seven years back.

Does the EC have that same option for searching a sire's get show results?

I have often searched for horse's supposed show records only to be disappointed that there is not even any record of the horse(s) being recorded with the governing organization. I suppose the accuracy or inaccuracy of any show results at that point is probably pretty much a moot point?
                                Horsezee

Comment

Good to know.

I am more familiar with the USEF. I know with USEF you can search Horse Recordings inputting the sire's name to find all of his recorded offspring. Then you can look up each individual horse's show results almost seven years back.

Does the EC have that same option for searching a sire's get show results?

I have often searched for horse's supposed show records only to be disappointed that there is not even any record of the horse(s) being recorded with the governing organization. I suppose the accuracy or inaccuracy of any show results at that point is probably pretty much a moot point?
                                  No, unfortunately there's no way to look up offspring results by sire through the Equine Canada database. There are fewer search options than when searching on USEF.

Comment

Good to know.

?
                                    You can go back a LOT further than 7 years on USEF.
                                    If the horse showed in a rated division you can look up those pages back to 1999 by manipulating the URL.
                                    Once you find the horse on the division page then all the results for that year are available. It is a bit tedious and you do have to search each year ( 1999,2000 etc) but it can be a great research tool when checking claims of results that are just outside USEF's results engine parameters.
                                    Fan of Sea Accounts

Comment

Tennant - Cyriz is doing Prelim this week and moves up to Intermediate in three weeks at Holly Hill. Just to clarify.
                                      www.debracysporthorses.com
                                      Home of Sea Accounts xx
                                      AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                                      "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

Re size on Halimey - officially listed in Germany with 167cm, that's solid 16.2h.
                                        www.trakehners-international.com
                                        www.fontana-syndikat.de

Comment

Coronea Lougine perhaps

http://www.rideirish.com/Stallion.html
                                          His pedigree is exceptional for eventing and his stock looks to be super movers from a range of mares...size looks like it comes from the mare. PatO

Comment

Working...
                                          X