• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Warning...my experience with Airdance Farm and Lisa Dunckley

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Originally posted by LisaO View Post
    "That is really too bad you had to go through all this. Seems like a lot breeders are crooks these days."
    I suspect it's just the opposite. The Net has made everything and everyone so transparent that it's hard to be dishonest and not be found out.

    There are always going to be bad apples.

    Comment


    • #42
      jjshorse, you can post your experience on that YELP page also.
      The bad apples occasionally drop in to try and buy horses too, unfortunately it is much more difficult for a farm to publicly warn others about an individual who is out "shopping" than it is for the public to complain about a business via the internet. As for breeder "red flags", watch out for those who seem to have too many horses with no real program or focus. They probably do have too many to manage properly unless there are other, more reliable sources of income in the picture.
      www.forwardfarms.com.
      Follow us on Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Forwar...s/192796641203

      Comment


      • #43
        Just the name makes my blood pressure rise and has given me a hefty dose of distrust of people... . So sorry for what you've gone through.
        There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse-Robert Smith Surtees
        Breeding TBs, Connemaras and TB/Conn crosses for eventing
        www.twistoffateeventing.com

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by Perfect Pony View Post
          There are some very nice people in California, but the majority of "breeders" here are pretty crazy/bad with horsemanship that would make most on here shudder. Several are places that spoken of highly on these boards only because of their online facade. I have gone to visit places with pretty locally famous stallions that made me very sad in person. Many with too many sad looking mares and foals standing around in small dry lots. Owners trying to feed me a load of BS.

          I would buy another pony from goodpony, or Rosewood Connemaras. I would buy a horse from Mystic Oak Ranch (although I have not been there I have heard good things about her personally). clint has a couple mares and a personal operation, I'd buy a horse from her. When I win the lottery maybe I'll buy a pony from honeylips Those are people in CA I know are good people and I thought I should call them out so they don't think I think all people in CA are nuts!
          Thank you too PP!

          I sincerely think there are many good breeders here in CA - I just think many of them fly under the radar and very few post on COTH (it is more East Coast oriented). I think CA is a huge state, and one that does attract "new money (neuveau riche)", aka crazies. To be honest, there are a few of those in other states too, but we are such a big state, we may have more then our fair share.

          This past year has been a rough one for Cali breeders, hasn't it? But I really do think we have a lot of honest, forthright breeders too. And there are several of us that have big pastures and reasonable set ups for young horses.

          When I win the lottery, I might join you in buying one of those ponies

          Comment


          • #45
            You might see if you have a City Attorney. If so, you can often go directly to them to push criminal charges. I did that once for someone that shot my dog (in my fenced backyard), and AC refused to pursue it because they didn't see it happen, even though his brothers saw it happen, and he admitted he did it (he was 23 yrs old and thought it would be funny). City Atty filed charges, and took him to court. Maybe you can try something like that.

            Comment


            • #46
              Idaziens

              "Baron Thomas Juergan von Guettner" the asscociate of Donald Slaughter appears to have no verifiable credentials to match his claims of equestrian prowess or his "title". Americans are suckers for a title..

              Apparently he owns a low end film/video company and there are a few (unimpressive) photos of him on a horse in his advertisements.No FEI or USEF record.

              I am sorry that the OP has had to deal with another dishonest horse person.

              When you have your ducks in a row, as does the OP, it is important to use the internet to warn others.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by jjshorse View Post
                I guess my husband has advised me to contact the district attorney in Livermore regarding a fraud charge.I just think the attorney fees would eat up anything I might gain from a fraud case.....She has lied to me 8 times about sending money, so some stupid thing made me think she might at some time honor her contract. I have a small claims judgement, and I will turn it over to collections at some point...from the phone calls I have had trying to choose a collection agency, I would never want them on my heels...they intimidate me and I am the one hiring...It is just hard to spend more money...but you are right...I have had numerous private messages with horror stories...I just wish I had known...

                You might have had a (civil) cause of action for fraud if you bought an in utero foal and the mare had never even been bred and the lady lied to you about the mare's pregnancy status. Or if you bought the in utero foal knowing that the mare had not yet been bred, but the inducement was that the mare would be bred and you would have the designer foal you wanted. And THEN she never bred the mare. If either of these situations describe what happened, then you should have added a cause of action for fraud to the cause of action for breach of contract. You cannot get punitive damages for breach of contract, but you can for fraud.

                But, if she bred the mare and tried to get a foal out of her, then she is not guilty of fraud, just of non-performance on the contract (which is what you already have the judgment for).

                I can't see a DA getting involved. This is a breach of contract action -- one in which the Plaintiff can be made whole by payment of money. That is what civil courts are for.
                "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

                Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
                  I can't see a DA getting involved. This is a breach of contract action -- one in which the Plaintiff can be made whole by payment of money. That is what civil courts are for.
                  I tend to agree - especially in these "tight budget times" - most government agencies (and DA is local government) are stretched pretty thin. Might even consider small claims court, which isn't very expensive. It really sucks - there are so many good breeders out there, but all it takes is a few bad ones to taint all of us.

                  FWIW - I don't think Don Slaughter is a breeder, he's a trainer/dealer, and that is a whole 'nother animal. Seems like there are many more bad stories out there about the horse dealer (horse trader has been a bad word for ages) then there are about the breeder.

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Originally posted by MysticOakRanch View Post

                    FWIW - I don't think Don Slaughter is a breeder, he's a trainer/dealer, and that is a whole 'nother animal. Seems like there are many more bad stories out there about the horse dealer (horse trader has been a bad word for ages) then there are about the breeder.
                    This is a good point! It seems around here there are quite a few that are both (Like Jill, or Airdance). They are just looking to sell horses. They take cheap horses, free horses, whatever they can get and breed them and/or try to flip them. They are just doing everything and anything to make a buck, it's not about some planned breeding operation with goals and objectives to further the breeding of exceptional horses or ponies. It's just about keeping a supply of horses and the sales happening.
                    On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by Mardi View Post
                      It seems that Airdance/LD posts on COTH ?
                      http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...tallions-in-CA

                      See post #13 (complaint) and post #16 (response)
                      This is why threads like these are good, but disappointing. I hadn't put two and two together until Derby Lyn's post, then did a head bang when I remebered the thread Mardi mentioned.

                      I reallllllly liked Noble Houston for my mare, and especially liked that he was an approved thoroughbred. Even though I am probably a few years away from breeding, Noble Houston was on my (for fun) short list. Now I'll have to rethink that...

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by Lord Helpus View Post
                        You might have had a (civil) cause of action for fraud if you bought an in utero foal and the mare had never even been bred and the lady lied to you about the mare's pregnancy status. Or if you bought the in utero foal knowing that the mare had not yet been bred, but the inducement was that the mare would be bred and you would have the designer foal you wanted. And THEN she never bred the mare. If either of these situations describe what happened, then you should have added a cause of action for fraud to the cause of action for breach of contract. You cannot get punitive damages for breach of contract, but you can for fraud.

                        But, if she bred the mare and tried to get a foal out of her, then she is not guilty of fraud, just of non-performance on the contract (which is what you already have the judgment for).

                        I can't see a DA getting involved. This is a breach of contract action -- one in which the Plaintiff can be made whole by payment of money. That is what civil courts are for.
                        What she said ^^

                        You are better off doing what your are doing and trying to find a cost efficient way of collecting on the judgment. You've got the judgment so Step 1 has been accomplished. Now you need to get to Step 2 and try to collect on it.

                        I would start by contacting the small claims court where you got the judgement and see if they have any free advice for you before you start spending more money to collect on your judgment. There may be things you can try to do yourself before you have to take further steps of hiring a private attorney to collect on the judgement. Good luck.

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by SpotMyH/J View Post
                          This is why threads like these are good, but disappointing. I hadn't put two and two together until Derby Lyn's post, then did a head bang when I remebered the thread Mardi mentioned.

                          I reallllllly liked Noble Houston for my mare, and especially liked that he was an approved thoroughbred. Even though I am probably a few years away from breeding, Noble Houston was on my (for fun) short list. Now I'll have to rethink that...
                          I don't think Noble Houston was actually Approved. I believe he was Recorded in Book II with the RPSI.
                          Patty
                          www.rivervalefarm.com
                          Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Just scrolled through quickly - why does the name Lisa Dunkley sound so familiar? Don't call me a troll, please, but this name rings bells ?
                            Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              The OP's case is now on Rate My Horse Pro....
                              http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/equine...-dunckley.aspx

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by Foxtrot's View Post
                                Just scrolled through quickly - why does the name Lisa Dunkley sound so familiar? Don't call me a troll, please, but this name rings bells ?
                                Are you on Facebook? She friended me awhile back, identifying herself by her COTH name or saying she posted here. Should I unfriend (or is that Unfriend?) her?
                                The Evil Chem Prof

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by ldaziens View Post
                                  I'm sure there are honest people in CA as well as nuts/fraudsters/crooks in other states, but CA has some recent doozies:
                                  * Jill Burnell

                                  * Catherine Monmartre, the Fresian breeder/expert who pretended to be French Royalty and faked her own death
                                  http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=8864031

                                  Plus this one.

                                  The thing that baffles me is how long they manage to stay in business / keep burning people. There are some gifted con artists to be sure
                                  And this one

                                  http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...resa-Groesbeck
                                  Stübben North America
                                  Los Angeles - Ventura County - San Luis Obispo

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Speak out against dishonest individuals!!!

                                    First of all, THANK YOU for being brave enough to speak out about your bad experience with this farm & individual. Everyone has the right to freedom of speech whether or not you have a judgement in hand.
                                    Last edited by Jumper_SoCal; Sep. 27, 2013, 03:57 PM.

                                    Comment


                                    • #58
                                      I work in a DA's office part time. I'm retired from the State Bar of Texas and I help out as The World's Oldest Law Clerk.

                                      As part of my duties I research theft and fraud cases and review evidence to see if a criminal law has been broken. To make out a criminal case the State must prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt. One element in both theft and fraud is intent. The State must prove that when the alleged perpetrator took the money (or other property) as part of a commercial arrangement that they had intent to either not perform the contract or otherwise keep the money (or property) without providing value. The fact that they took on more work than they could perform or they ran unto hard times or they had some financial reverse does not necessarily convert a failure to perform under a contract into fraud or theft. It's the intent present at the time the transaction occurs.

                                      Sometimes the actions of the defendant are clear, one way or the other. Most of the time they are not. If intent is not clear then the matter will likely be labeled as "civil" and the DA will not go forward. I've sent many like this "up the line" and had to grit my teeth when I did it because it was functionally clear that the perpetrator was a scoundrel but there was not sufficient evidence to establish that they were a scoundrel in this transaction.

                                      In a few instances with a little more work I've seen close cases "bootstrapped" and prosecutions successfully had. Sometimes just the threat of prosecution jars loose the victim's money. Not always, though.

                                      If the OP has a civil judgement then that is public record. Unless otherwise prohibited under state law that public record may be disseminated. I presume they've properly docketed the judgement. They should also ensure that they take steps to keep it "alive" in the court system. Docketed judgements are liens on both real and personal property in most places. I've seen pleasant surprises to judgement creditors years after an event. I've seen more unpleasant surprises, truth be known. Still, the cost to keep it alive are relatively modest and worth the "value of the chance."

                                      Good luck in getting your money back.

                                      G.
                                      Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        As a non-legal person I have a question, perhaps a stupid one, but a question none the less.
                                        If the court orders someone to pay a judgement and they don't pay it, why are they not considered in contempt and hauled before the judge?

                                        OP glad to see your case on Ratemyhorsepro. The more people know, the more they can avoid doing business with the bad apples.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                                          I work in a DA's office part time. I'm retired from the State Bar of Texas and I help out as The World's Oldest Law Clerk.

                                          As part of my duties I research theft and fraud cases and review evidence to see if a criminal law has been broken. To make out a criminal case the State must prove each element of the offense beyond a reasonable doubt. One element in both theft and fraud is intent. The State must prove that when the alleged perpetrator took the money (or other property) as part of a commercial arrangement that they had intent to either not perform the contract or otherwise keep the money (or property) without providing value. The fact that they took on more work than they could perform or they ran unto hard times or they had some financial reverse does not necessarily convert a failure to perform under a contract into fraud or theft. It's the intent present at the time the transaction occurs.

                                          Sometimes the actions of the defendant are clear, one way or the other. Most of the time they are not. If intent is not clear then the matter will likely be labeled as "civil" and the DA will not go forward. I've sent many like this "up the line" and had to grit my teeth when I did it because it was functionally clear that the perpetrator was a scoundrel but there was not sufficient evidence to establish that they were a scoundrel in this transaction.

                                          In a few instances with a little more work I've seen close cases "bootstrapped" and prosecutions successfully had. Sometimes just the threat of prosecution jars loose the victim's money. Not always, though.

                                          If the OP has a civil judgement then that is public record. Unless otherwise prohibited under state law that public record may be disseminated. I presume they've properly docketed the judgement. They should also ensure that they take steps to keep it "alive" in the court system. Docketed judgements are liens on both real and personal property in most places. I've seen pleasant surprises to judgement creditors years after an event. I've seen more unpleasant surprises, truth be known. Still, the cost to keep it alive are relatively modest and worth the "value of the chance."

                                          Good luck in getting your money back.

                                          G.
                                          This is very valuable information. Perhaps this post can be made a "sticky" so that we may all refer to it with cases like these?
                                          PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                                          Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X