• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone else waiting for a Totilas for breeding?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone else waiting for a Totilas for breeding?

    I would love to have a Totilas in my barn but I'm waiting for a son to breed to at a more reasonable price. Does anyone one know of sons that may be presented for approval next year? I believe his first foal crop will be 3 in 2014 if I'm not mistaken.
    Last edited by Ticker; Aug. 18, 2013, 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

  • #2
    Why not other stallions from the same line?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Ticker View Post
      I would love to have a Totalis in my barn but I'm waiting for a son to breed to at a more reasonable price. Does anyone one know of sons that may be presented for approval next year? I believe his first foal crop will be 3 in 2014 if I'm not mistaken.
      I believe some sons from his first foal crop are expected to be presented later this year. They will be approx 2-1/2 y/o at the fall selections, which is the normal age for young stallions to get licensed.

      There are a few dozen 2011 colts listed on HorseTelex. I wonder how many of them might be contenders. One of them is from the same mare that produced the much lauded Danish stallion Sezuan (who was recently chosen to sire Woodlander Farouche's ET foals). And another one is from the mare that produced Bretton Woods and Chagall.

      Comment


      • #4
        Have you heard any comments about the colts from those great producing mares?

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #5
          Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
          I believe some sons from his first foal crop are expected to be presented later this year. They will be approx 2-1/2 y/o at the fall selections, which is the normal age for young stallions to get licensed.

          There are a few dozen 2011 colts listed on HorseTelex. I wonder how many of them might be contenders. One of them is from the same mare that produced the much lauded Danish stallion Sezuan (who was recently chosen to sire Woodlander Farouche's ET foals). And another one is from the mare that produced Bretton Woods and Chagall.
          I'm going to keep my eye out for the colt out of the Don Schufro mare that sired Sezuan. How exciting! Thanks for the info.

          Comment


          • #6
            Saw 2 totilas sons for sale in the UK. pm me if you're interested in importing or at seeing the ad.

            Comment

            • Original Poster

              #7
              Originally posted by DownYonder View Post
              I believe some sons from his first foal crop are expected to be presented later this year. They will be approx 2-1/2 y/o at the fall selections, which is the normal age for young stallions to get licensed.

              There are a few dozen 2011 colts listed on HorseTelex. I wonder how many of them might be contenders. One of them is from the same mare that produced the much lauded Danish stallion Sezuan (who was recently chosen to sire Woodlander Farouche's ET foals). And another one is from the mare that produced Bretton Woods and Chagall.
              I thought I would ask if anyone has seen any Totalis sons being prepared for stallion selections?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ticker View Post
                I'm going to keep my eye out for the colt out of the Don Schufro mare that sired Sezuan. How exciting! Thanks for the info.
                Does he have a name?
                Fresh, Frozen & ISO Warmblood Breedings FB Group

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ticker: it's T-O-T-I-L-A-S. I am the worst speller on COTH, but (imho) if you are interested in breeding to a horse, it's nice to know how to spell his name . Especially after several posters have (diplomatically) included the proper spelling in their posts...

                  As for sons of Totilas: personally, I'm not going to get all excited about a stallion's sons till I have been shown he can produce quality from average (or even -- gasp -- below average) mares.

                  So far Totilas has not demonstrated this ( at least from what I can tell and from the feedback coming from our German COTHers).

                  I can almost guarantee that at least afew of his sons will be licensed when the time comes, but this isn't going to (necessarily) prove HIS quality. Instead, it will show how well he is/was being handled/promoted.

                  His first few years at stud in Germany T's team were able to cherry-pick from the finest mares available; mares who were proven to produce quality pretty much no matter what.

                  In addition, no matter how we like to think that the stallion licensing/approval process is conducted in a fair & level way, any grown-up who has been in the horse judging world (or dog judging world for that matter...) for any length of time knows better. We accept the fact that people are people and if a horse is owned by someone like Paul S., they are going to have quite abit of an edge over a stallion owned by...let's say...ME!

                  Stallions can and are "made" by smart owners/handlers; if not made than certainly helped a great deal. This isn't just in the WB world and not just in this case -- there are plenty of examples out there.

                  It's how savvy horsebreeding business is done. And in the case of T., he is just simply WAY too high-profile and WAY too "beloved" to fail. Not to mention all those ticked off people who paid an arm & a leg to breed to him and ended up with foals who weren't the quality they were expecting.

                  Even though, based on the general quality of his foals thus far, he has not shown himself to be particularly outstanding as a sire, people are STILL enamored with the guy. He IS a very striking horse, and he is owned by smart, well-off folks who know how to work all of this to an advantage.

                  It could be T. will never set hoof in an arena again, but the mythology & presence of the horse will continue. His handlers will make sure of it.

                  T. will get every single possible advantage there is to succeed as a sire.

                  Does that mean he is/will be a good sire? Well, that is a discussion for another day. Personally (so far) I think one could take many of the outstanding mares who have been bred to T. and breed them to another stallion with a similar pedigree and get foals of the same quality that T. seems to be producing.

                  But they wouldn't have HIS brand...

                  The way this is playing out so far (and he may surprise me) I'm guessing that, like Secretariat, even if T. does turn out to be a bust as a sire it will not be blasted from the roof-tops.

                  The stats will be there, but there will be no headlines saying "T proves BUST as Sire!!" After all, "bust" in his case would mean he just turned out to be average. Everyone had/has such high expectations. Coupled with all the publicity on his sales price and that (to me) ridiculously over-priced stud fee, his average-ness it will never be pointed it out TOO blatantly. And chances are the public will assist in this -- nobody likes heroes to fail.

                  Instead, in 10-20+ yrs or so, after all the hoop-a-la has died down, breeders will begin to look at Totilas's genetic legacy with a more balanced eye. As it turned out, Secretariat was a solid producer of broodmares and did sire some fine race horses. If he had been anyone but Secretariat, he really had a pretty nice record as a sire.

                  I think the same will be said for T. He has a solid pedigree for sure and it could well be his sons by some of these world-class producing mares will actually be better sires than their sire.

                  But is it because T. sired them? Again, I would argue that a similar pedigree coupled with the same quality of mares, would produce just as well.

                  I know T. has a full sister in training w/Gal -- or am I wrong about that? She (apparently) is not quite the quality of her brother, or just isn't showing yet.

                  I wonder if they have bred her...say, to Don S., ....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Kyzteke View Post
                    As for sons of Totilas: personally, I'm not going to get all excited about a stallion's sons till I have been shown he can produce quality from average (or even -- gasp -- below average) mares.
                    I'm not a breeder, but I do have a bit of a working knowledge of genetics and heredity, so I'm curious about the following:

                    1. Why would breeders use average or below average mare in their breeding programs?

                    2. Why would breeders expect a stallion to produce ANY high quality offspring from average to below average mares, let alone be able to produce high quality offspring from such mares on a consistent basis?

                    Are there really breeders who think it's reasonable to expect it to work this way, and that if it doesn't, they blame the stallion and call him a failure in the breeding shed?

                    Comment

                    • Original Poster

                      #11
                      I like his temperament and I like that he was/ is competing. I like his sire. I don't like other stallions currently available from his sire. I like the way he was bred to increase the power in his backend thru his Dam. Something that is getting lost in many younger stallions where people see only flashy front ends, no power in the backend and a temperament that requires a professional. Yes, his rider is exceptional, but the horse has talent that cannot be denied.

                      I think that in the grandsire position, he can add diversity to a good breeding program. I have bred my mares, in the past, to a 'son of' stallion to get particular bloodlines and I have yet to be disappointed.
                      The dam line of the 'son of' stallion is critical and the most important part of the equation to me, which is why I am most interested in the great opinions of those who have the opportunity to see these young stallions and in their wisdom on the dam lines.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I really hope no one will take this in a bad way... but I think it was agreed in another post that this stallion's name was Totilas. I am not english speaking, so I am very kind usually on spelling etc as I am far from having a good written level of english, but a name is a name. Sorry to the OP I don't want to upset you at all. I really believe it is probably just a misspelling, but I had to say it.
                        Les Écuries d'Automne, Québec, Canada
                        Visit EdA's Facebook page!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by ynl063w View Post
                          I'm not a breeder, but I do have a bit of a working knowledge of genetics and heredity, so I'm curious about the following:

                          1. Why would breeders use average or below average mare in their breeding programs?

                          2. Why would breeders expect a stallion to produce ANY high quality offspring from average to below average mares, let alone be able to produce high quality offspring from such mares on a consistent basis?

                          Are there really breeders who think it's reasonable to expect it to work this way, and that if it doesn't, they blame the stallion and call him a failure in the breeding shed?
                          Top mares are few and far between, the majority of mares bred are somewhere along the bell curve and hopefully most are to the right of center. But the average inspected WB is still way above the average uninspected, not breed for sport, mare. Like saying the average student at Stanford.
                          Traditionally, they would expect a stallion to improve on a group of average mares before he was allowed to breed the good mares. Genetically, they are looking for positive (to sport) and dominate traits. Of course not all traits are dominate and recessive but they are looking for an improvement. Now, if a stallion is bred to some outstanding mares and comes up with eh foals then you conclude that he may not be positively prepotent, genetically.
                          Of course there is always room for discussion on what makes a great GP dressage horse and if you can see this in a foal, or if they flashy foals will top out at PSG and another type go on to GP but that is another discussion.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by stoicfish View Post
                            Top mares are few and far between, the majority of mares bred are somewhere along the bell curve and hopefully most are to the right of center. But the average inspected WB is still way above the average uninspected, not breed for sport, mare. Like saying the average student at Stanford.
                            Traditionally, they would expect a stallion to improve on a group of average mares before he was allowed to breed the good mares. Genetically, they are looking for positive (to sport) and dominate traits. Of course not all traits are dominate and recessive but they are looking for an improvement. Now, if a stallion is bred to some outstanding mares and comes up with eh foals then you conclude that he may not be positively prepotent, genetically.
                            Of course there is always room for discussion on what makes a great GP dressage horse and if you can see this in a foal, or if they flashy foals will top out at PSG and another type go on to GP but that is another discussion.
                            Interesting. Although I'm not sure I'm buying that top mares are fewer and farther between than are top stallions. I could believe that the percentage of high quality stallions (compared to average to below average stallions) out there is higher than the same percentage for mares because the average to below average stallions are likely to be gelded, removing them from the gene pool. A mare gets to keep her uterus regardless of her quality (or lack thereof).

                            Using your logic, why wouldn't breeders be willing to use a top mare on an average to below average stallion, with the assumption that the mare should be good enough to overcome the stallion's shortcomings?

                            Comment

                            • Original Poster

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Spike View Post
                              I really hope no one will take this in a bad way... but I think it was agreed in another post that this stallion's name was Totilas. I am not english speaking, so I am very kind usually on spelling etc as I am far from having a good written level of english, but a name is a name. Sorry to the OP I don't want to upset you at all. I really believe it is probably just a misspelling, but I had to say it.
                              I doesn't bother me. I asked this question months ago, no one complained about the spelling then so I didn't notice it. I also suspect that I will, occasionally mis-spell something in the future.

                              Comment

                              • Original Poster

                                #16
                                Originally posted by ynl063w View Post
                                Interesting. Although I'm not sure I'm buying that top mares are fewer and farther between than are top stallions. I could believe that the percentage of high quality stallions (compared to average to below average stallions) out there is higher than the same percentage for mares because the average to below average stallions are likely to be gelded, removing them from the gene pool. A mare gets to keep her uterus regardless of her quality (or lack thereof).

                                Using your logic, why wouldn't breeders be willing to use a top mare on an average to below average stallion, with the assumption that the mare should be good enough to overcome the stallion's shortcomings?
                                A top stallion is going to be able to breed a lot of mares if popular enough to get them, good quality or not. A top quality mare, even with ET has a limited amount of offspring she can produce, so her offspring may be considered 'rare' when compared to that of a top quality stallion. Totilas attracted some top quality mares whose offspring may be of particular interest.

                                A top quality mare may be able to overcome a stallions shortcomings in the same way a top stallion may be able to overcome a mares short comings. It just a lot harder to find these mares unless their offspring start getting attention, and then, the stallion gets the credit anyway.
                                Just my thoughts.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Ticker View Post
                                  A top stallion is going to be able to breed a lot of mares if popular enough to get them, good quality or not. A top quality mare, even with ET has a limited amount of offspring she can produce, so her offspring may be considered 'rare' when compared to that of a top quality stallion. Totilas attracted some top quality mares whose offspring may be of particular interest.
                                  Just my thoughts.
                                  It's certainly true that a stallion can produce more offspring than a mare, but I'm not sure that addresses the issue of expecting quality offspring from average to below average mares.

                                  I've also read thoughts on this forum from people who believe that the mare contributes more to the offspring than does the stallion, based on factors such as uterine environment, mitochondrial DNA, and the fact that the mare is the one who raises the foal. Based on this, I would think that breeders would avoid at all costs using mares that are merely average or below average, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on Kyzteke's post.

                                  Comment

                                  • Original Poster

                                    #18
                                    It's hard to not breed the 'average' mare since the vast majority of mares in any population are 'average', just as the vast majority in any species population is 'average'. This is why I try to pay attention to successful mare lines. There are many breeders on this forum whose vast knowledge on the subject would be far more useful than my limited experience.
                                    However, If a mare produces 'exceptional' offspring with different stallions, she most likely represents a mare line that I would like in my breeding program. Lorretta comes to mind as a mare many breeders would recognize from the 'Hit' stallions.

                                    I have 'average' mares in my program just like everyone else. I look for stallions out of exceptional mare lines in the hopes that if I get a filly, she will inherit some of those 'exceptional' qualities.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by ynl063w View Post
                                      Interesting. Although I'm not sure I'm buying that top mares are fewer and farther between than are top stallions. I could believe that the percentage of high quality stallions (compared to average to below average stallions) out there is higher than the same percentage for mares because the average to below average stallions are likely to be gelded, removing them from the gene pool. A mare gets to keep her uterus regardless of her quality (or lack thereof).

                                      Using your logic, why wouldn't breeders be willing to use a top mare on an average to below average stallion, with the assumption that the mare should be good enough to overcome the stallion's shortcomings?
                                      As Ticker replied, because a mare has a limited amount of offspring, you wouldn't want to waste it on a test. But yes, she should improve the offspring.

                                      And I think this is a matter of degrees. I doubt any serious breeder expects either a mare or stallion when bred to an average nag and come up with a super star. They are suppose to improve the offspring That is the test.
                                      And your question about why do people breed average mares, well, by definition, the majority of the population is average! It wouldn't work very well if there were only 200 WB babies born every year (the mares on the far right).
                                      Plus, many times quality is not an absolute idea. Breed a mare with the "right" nick and you get a amazing result but she may have had average foals before then even with brilliant stallions. The cross is a huge part in creating good horses. Corde became the legend when he was put to Holst mares, he was not as successful when bred to SF mares.
                                      It is like a recipe of sorts, some things are good on their own but horrible when put together or synergistic together.
                                      No animal is faultless or couldn't be improved. It is just lining everything up.

                                      And of course there may be as many top mares as top stallion. There isn't that many top stallions either. There are more average stallions -by definition of the term average. But because of the testing process, the males are more heavily scrutinized as opposed to the mares. At the end of the day, it is how they produce and that takes offspring.
                                      Interesting. Although I'm not sure I'm buying that top mares are fewer and farther between than are top stallions
                                      I never said they are fewer and farther than stallions, just said they few and far... as are the stallions.
                                      Last edited by stoicfish; Aug. 18, 2013, 10:56 PM.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Ticker View Post
                                        It's hard to not breed the 'average' mare since the vast majority of mares in any population are 'average', just as the vast majority in any species population is 'average'. This is why I try to pay attention to successful mare lines. There are many breeders on this forum whose vast knowledge on the subject would be far more useful than my limited experience.
                                        However, If a mare produces 'exceptional' offspring with different stallions, she most likely represents a mare line that I would like in my breeding program. Lorretta comes to mind as a mare many breeders would recognize from the 'Hit' stallions.

                                        I have 'average' mares in my program just like everyone else. I look for stallions out of exceptional mare lines in the hopes that if I get a filly, she will inherit some of those 'exceptional' qualities.
                                        This kind of proves my point. Average fillies are more likely to be allowed to contribute to the gene pool at some point because they are not "culled" at a young age the way average colts are. An average colt is highly likely to be gelded at a young age and therefore cannot be used for breeding. An average filly gets to keep her uterus for her entire life, making it likely that someone, at some point in her lifetime, might choose to breed her simply because it's possible (and she's cheaper and more accessible than her higher quality counterparts).

                                        The statement "It's hard to not breed the 'average' mare since the vast majority of mares in any population are 'average'" is odd to me, because the second part of that statement applies to male horses too (the vast majority are average). If this were true, it should follow that it would be "hard not to breed to average stallions" too. But that's not true, because most average male horses are gelded and simply CAN't be used for breeding.

                                        Choosing to not use use something in a breeding program because it is average shouldn't be hard, no matter if it is a stallion OR a mare.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X