• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

SOs, how to deal with the disasters bred?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOs, how to deal with the disasters bred?

I was recently searching for horses for sale by a particular stallion whose offspring are quite a nice type.

I stumbled across one for almost give away prices and opened the pictures and videos the breeder (who is not the SO) posted on a popular sales site. It was a youngster (older than weanling age) with something MAJORLY wrong with its hind end. It was incredibly post legged and its pastern was so extremely bent that its fetlocks were almost touching the ground in the conformatoin shot, and were hitting the ground in the videos. I immediately tried to find pictures of the dam, wondering where that horrible hind end came from or if it was badly windswept, or maybe something that went untreated.

Just curious WWYD as damage control if you had your stallions name attached to an offspring with huge conformational issues posted up for the world to see? All it takes is one horse for the rumors to start that Mr Studly has thrown offspring with DSLD, or parrot mouth, or club foot, or whatever. If it was a genetic and testable trait, would you have your boy tested and post that info, or?
    Last edited by Yowsa; Mar. 10, 2013, 11:48 AM.
    "Hell, when I move my things go in boxes and I always make sure and bubble wrap my dog feces so it don't get broke." runwayz

I did wonder if anybody would answer this one, it's got me very curious...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

Comment

Well what *could* you do? You can't ask that they take the pictures down or threaten them with defamation. I figure if a mare owner doesn't realize it takes two to tango, well, you can't fix stupid. However, if I saw more than one or two offspring from my stallion with problems, then I'd think seriously about keeping him as a stallion (caveat - I dont, however, own a stallion - so maybe that's wishful thinking on my part).
      www.juniperridgeranch.us
      Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

I don't think there is a whole lot you could do, other than buy the youngster and let it be a pasture ornament.

This youngster has a Mother, too, but of course people tend to forget that!

A wise breeder once told me, "The mare gets the "credit" and the stallion ALWAYS gets the "blame".
        Patty
        www.rivervalefarm.com
        Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

If I saw one I would wonder about care and birth issues...being compromised from birth can mess up a young horse. What you described can be caused by birth position and growth issues or injury and disease. I had a septic filly who was a mess...she would not grow out of her problems but they had nothing to do with the stallion. She ended up with septic arthritis and was euthanized but other issues can make a youngster unbalanced like being windswept as a foal. I saw another mare who was premature, windswept and then got pneumonia...she didn't "grow out of" her challenging start. She couldn't be approved but she is a lovely family horse. Something as simple as poor farrier care at the wrong time in growth can affect a horse forever. Not the stallions fault. PatO

Comment

Which is why good SO only breeds to approved mares. I realize this only reduces risk of a disaster, but I am always shocked by places with a nice stallion that breed to whatever comes down the pike.

Comment

The situation you describe when the muscles attatched to the tendons actually extend further down the leg than normal. It is not hereditary or nutritional but is an embryologic anaomaly. They can be pasture ornaments until they break down so badly they have to be put down. The seller in this case probably does not realise what is occuring and should be informed.
              Cindy Bergmann
              Canterbury Court
              559-903-4814
              www.canterbury-court.com

Comment

First, disasters happen in breeding. However, I have to caution that just because a horse is post legged and has low pasterns does NOT mean it has DSLD. Please be careful throwing that term around, so you don't damage a stallion or mare's reputation. We have a mare that has the hind leg described and was diagnosed with a too long deep digital flexor tendon as a foal. The tendon did not support the the sesmoid bones correctly. She did not know she had bad leg conformation and has grown up to be a very athletic jumper with bad hind leg conformation. Is that hind leg structure desirable, no, but beauty is as beauty does.
                Judy
                Sylvan Farm~Breeding for Performance
                Ramzes SF, approved GOV and Belgian http://sylvanfarm.com
                USEF National ID and Horse Recording Task Force; USHJA Jumper Breeding Ad Hoc Committee

Comment

Without seeing pics of the foal in question it could be this was a problem that simply wasn't addressed at birth or truly a question of dropped pasterns. What people need to realize is that ANY stallion who produces enough babies is going to produce some clunkers. That is just the law of averages with ANY stallion. There will be culls. But if you only see one, it shouldn't really bug you or put you off the stallion. As everyone here has mentioned, horses have 2 parents.

As far as "damage control", I was in a similar situation when I bred Kinor to a very nice Arab mare, but one with a rotated foreleg. I was hoping Kinor would "fix it" because otherwise the mare was lovely and it was a good cross. Unfortunately one o/o 3 did get that same leg/foot. She was sweet and pretty, but NOT suited for endurance. The woman who bred her really didn't want to market her, because of that.

So I actually took her and marketed her a "just" a trail horse. She's 4 now and her owner adores her. She is painted (her owner is an artist) over and over again, has learned a bunch of tricks and carries her rider safely on the trail 2-3 x a month. And she's never taken a wrong step. But I knew it wasn't Kinor who was the source of the issue; it was the mare.

And I was not shy about saying that. If I had NOT been able to do this, I would approach the seller and ask if they would explain more in the ad about the (obvious) deformity, so people did not immediately jump on the stallion bashing float.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
                    Which is why good SO only breeds to approved mares. I realize this only reduces risk of a disaster, but I am always shocked by places with a nice stallion that breed to whatever comes down the pike.
                    THIS ^^. Many years ago I had a very close friend who just loved a certain stallion and wanted a foal by him from her mare. Her mare was a beautiful AQHA mare with very good bloodlines. But, she had a front foot that turned in. My friend had been told the mare was injured as a foal and honestly, it did look like it could have been an injury. However, when the mare foaled, the foal had the EXACT same turned in foot as the mare. My friend did not have the resources to do surgery on the foal nor the knowledge to get the right king of corrective trimming/shoeing done so the foal grew into a horse with a very crooked fetlock.

And for years after, more than one person mentioned how "so and so Stallion" produced crooked legged foals.

The foal did make a nice trail horse, but I always think how it could have ended up in a feed lot.
                    Last edited by NoDQhere; Mar. 10, 2013, 11:07 AM. Reason: Forgot something
                    Patty
                    www.rivervalefarm.com
                    Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Even breeding to approved mares can result in a disaster, it is just the law of breeding averages. A friend bred a high scoring mare (inspection high point) to a lovely WB stallion, all within a respected WB registry. Result was a very funky, very small foal who was never right (in the back, in the hind legs, etc). SO use to post pics of all the foals, but that one never made it to the websites or ads. Sometimes it happens - two great parents does not guarantee a great offspring. Not much the SO can do, other then have as many nice babies on the ground as possible so it is clear the "disaster" is not the norm.

Comment

when you guys say "breed to approved mares only" what does that mean? do stallion owners go visit the mares in question? do research on their bloodlines etc?

Comment

• Original Poster

Sure, nobody knows what the problem is, it could be anything listed above. But honestly IF I owned a stallion whose offspring ended up with a club foot, parrot mouth, or any number of other things that could be caused by any number of factors, I would likely want to address it head on. Yes, I'm certain it was a fluke, the mare, something untreated, etc. but still....as a couple of you said, people are quick to blame the stud, thus I was curious if SOs would take any steps to put people at ease.
                          "Hell, when I move my things go in boxes and I always make sure and bubble wrap my dog feces so it don't get broke." runwayz

Comment

when you guys say "breed to approved mares only" what does that mean? do stallion owners go visit the mares in question? do research on their bloodlines etc?

Because of my job I do not stand my stallion to public stud; however, I've been approached by more than a handful of mare owners asking to "still" breed to my stallion. I can tell you that even if he were standing to the public, I would not accept the following mares (or send semen to) no matter how nice in their own right for any reason - paint, stock-type, appaloosa, nor would I breed to very specific bloodlines within my breed. I also have a very good working knowledge of my breed and would require pictures and video if I have not seen the mare in person. Now does anyone think I expect to ever make money with my stallion? Good Lord I hope not. I have very specific goals with my stallion. I do not need to stand him to the public to attain those goals; so, I also will not breed to just any mare both for the reason of not wanting the risk of producing something that could harm his reputation (if he had one) and because I believe it's irresponsible for many other reasons. Because of my passion for the breed and some of the known pitfall of the industry and the breed I will remain very selective should I ever breed to an outside mare and I have no problem expressing to those who inquire as to why or the specifics.
                            Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

Working...
                            X