• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cameras Again

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameras Again

I'd like to set up a camera in my mare's stall but I can't get internet in my barn and my house is 300-400 feet away.
    I saw a wireless option here:
    http://www.livestockcameras.com/products/1474.html

I wondered if you all know of something cheaper that will work similarly or if I can get one used somewhere.
    Thanks for your help!

If you have internet at the house, you can set up a computer in the barn with a booster areal that *will* pick up the wifi - I use the Bearextender for mine.
    www.juniperridgeranch.us
    Visit us on Facebook!

Comment

Alternative barn cam

I once put a video cam recorder in the barn and hooked it up to a VCR in the barn and then ran the cable to the TV in my Bedroom. It was only about 150 feet away. It worked great. It was in color and had great sound.

I remember Elaine and I debating on who's turn it was to stay awake when suddenly our mares water broke. Elaine was so quick getting to the barn that I saw her on the TV before I left the house.

I just had all that equipment sitting around the house and it worked perfectly. Good luck.
      -Arthur
      -Arthur
      www.logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com
      www.facebook.com/Logres.farm

Comment

If you don't need it to be online, and can just watch it on a TV, I have this camera and love it ten times more than my wireless internet camera. The picture quality is GREAT, and it's only ever frozen one time. I really, really like it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
        Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I ran a cable from my barn to my home so I could get my camera online via marestare. My barn is about 300ft from my house and the cable has been in place for a few years with no problem. The first year I used a wireless camera hookup that worked OK but the image was not as clear as the hardwired one I have now.

I bought all my stuff from here:

http://www.foalingcamera.com
          Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
          http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
          http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

• Original Poster

Rideagoldenpony did you buy that kit and that's all you needed? I'm about 400 feet from the barn to my house. It says 1000 so it should work.

Comment

• Original Poster

Did you just run the cable on the ground to your house?

Originally posted by Blume Farm View Post
              I ran a cable from my barn to my home so I could get my camera online via marestare. My barn is about 300ft from my house and the cable has been in place for a few years with no problem. The first year I used a wireless camera hookup that worked OK but the image was not as clear as the hardwired one I have now.

I bought all my stuff from here:

http://www.foalingcamera.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hony View Post
                Did you just run the cable on the ground to your house?
                Yes...the cable is hung out my window (they have a special attachment to the cable that is flat so the window can be closed on that part of the cable) , then through some trees limbs and finally tacked down to fence rails until it reaches the barn Very ghetto, but it works!

Comment

• Original Poster

Mine would need to go around my house, through a wooded ravine, along my outdoor ring fence into the back of the barn.. It'll be totally ghetto too lol.

Originally posted by Blume Farm View Post
                  Yes...the cable is hung out my window (they have a special attachment to the cable that is flat so the window can be closed on that part of the cable) , then through some trees limbs and finally tacked down to fence rails until it reaches the barn Very ghetto, but it works!

Comment

We are about 400 ft. from our barn and tried wireless, but it didn't work, as there are trees in the line of sight, and our house is a little lower than the barn. We have a wired camera. We strung coax cable through the trees from our barn to the house and have it hooked up to a t.v. in our bedroom. It works really well. Our wi fi is spotty, and internet connection is satellite, so we haven't ever tried to have a computer hookup with it.
                    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
                    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Comment

Originally posted by clint View Post
                      We are about 400 ft. from our barn and tried wireless, but it didn't work, as there are trees in the line of sight, and our house is a little lower than the barn. We have a wired camera. We strung coax cable through the trees from our barn to the house and have it hooked up to a t.v. in our bedroom. It works really well. Our wi fi is spotty, and internet connection is satellite, so we haven't ever tried to have a computer hookup with it.
                      Sounds like everyone is doing the "ghetto" setup!! I too tried wireless and have a pretty clear line of sight. However, if it rained, the wind was blowing, etc the signal would get jumpy. After one year of suffering with that I went with the hardwired route. The image is crystal clear, color, infrared for night vision and has sound. When I am home I put the cable in my tv and when I leave I hook it up to an older computer I have dedicated to marestare hookup.

Comment

I too, went ghetto to get a camera in the barn, for earlier foalings. Normally we foal in a run-in shed 50' from my house so the wired camera was perfect. Since I already had a good security camera that I think only cost about $100, I decided to use it instead of trying to go wireless. I have about 600' of cable just laying on the ground that I unhook and move out of the way if we have to drive through there as I figure driving over it can't be good for it. The picture is very good and the cable on the ground isn't a big deal.

I got my security cameras from our local electronic supply store and they were not expensive. One is a Pro Video - CVC-1700 and the one I put in the barn is a bullet type camera. I don't remember what brand.
                        Patty
                        www.rivervalefarm.com
                        Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

So I worked on this problem for EVER and found the following to work for me- my barn is about 5 football fields from the house... No wireless there....

What I have set up is the Logitech Alert Outdoor system which runs through the electricity in my barn to a computer there set up with GoToMyPC. I have the GoToMyPC app on my phone and iPad so I can remotely access the barn computer.

However- if your barn is on the same electrical circuit as your house the Logitech camera will work at your house through the electricity... It is pretty cool and works quite well. The system actually takes up to 6 cameras if you need them and can stream sound if you want it.
                          www.jazcreek.com
                          Specialized Equine Rehabilitation, Reproduction, and Fitness in the Wine Country of Northern California

Comment

I also am several hundred feet from the barn. What I ended up doing was putting a computer in the barn and got a wireless stick from Virgin Mobile - they have unlimited data streaming for $50 a month. Because the computer was in the barn, I was able to use a very inexpensive webcam wired to that computer, so the quality of the video was quite good.

Comment

I am also a couple of hundred feet from the house to the barn and have a line of trees between the house and the barn,and in the past that has interfered with wireless.
                              I was hoping that wireless had advanced a bit and that I could switch to that now,and read this thread with hope rising in my heart...

What I do have is the 'trailer park' version as well. A long cable wire from the house to the barn, that comes in through the bedroom window to a designated TV.
                              It works well, but the cable has been driven over by the lawn guy a couple of times.
                              They never survive the week whacker.
                              A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

We ran a cat5 wire to the barn and setup a wireless router. Super simple and we have wifi in the barn. Get the direct burial wire and it only needs to be a couple of inches in the ground.

Comment

Booster for wireless

Our barn is about 200 feet from the house so the wireless signal was weak, initially. We use Macs so went to the Apple store after discussing options, purchased a strong booster that is in the tackroom and has no trouble reaching throughout the barn and vicinity. Image quality is excellent and no "drops". The added bonus has been creating an office in the tackroom where we can do work (which requires internet) and be close by. Camera system is Samsung purchased from CostCo, able to view all eight camera angles remotely on iphone or ipad.

Comment

Originally posted by Hony View Post
                                    Rideagoldenpony did you buy that kit and that's all you needed? I'm about 400 feet from the barn to my house. It says 1000 so it should work.
                                    Yes, I bought that, went out to the barn, put up the camera, walked in the house, plugged in receiver, plugged it into the TV and it was instantly ready to go. Easiest thing I've ever set up.

The barn is 300-400 feet away from the house, but there is a direct line of sight.

The picture quality is absolutely outstanding!!!
                                    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                                    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

Has anyone had any experience with this system?
                                      http://www.barncam.com/store/catalog...ne-barn-2.html
                                      A Fine Romance. April 1991 - June 2016. Loved forever.

Comment

Working...
                                      X