• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A fun photo study of my mare's BELLY!! - Photo update post #18

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fun photo study of my mare's BELLY!! - Photo update post #18

She's a maiden mare so I know all bets are off. I'm sleep deprived and fretting so I've been playing with photos:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Day 333 - PH 7.2 Calcium 60-80ppm
    Day 334 - PH 6.6 Calcium 160-180 ppm
    Day 335 - PH 6.6 Calcium 160-180 ppm

I wish things had moved from day 334 to 335!!!
    Last edited by Cassy's Mom; Feb. 26, 2013, 09:32 PM.

Do you have any udder pics? She still has a ways to go judging from the numbers above. I won't scare you with my prediction of how much longer until I see her udder pics!
    McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Laurierace: here's an udder photo from tonight

Ok, scare away! How long?? The PH really threw me...I thought it would just keep dropping. Her udder definitely has edema and she hates it when I milk the right side but is very comfortable on the left. I can EASILY get 2ccs in 20 seconds or less.

Here's a photo of her diluted milk: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

It doesn't separate after time (though I've never waited more than 10 min) and isn't at all salty. However it's been sweet and slightly sticky for a few days now.

Comment

Looking good! Once you see 6.2 you're good - but sometimes it can change in a matter of hours or sometimes it takes days. We have one that drops through the low 6's over a week then stays at 6.2 for 2-3 days. It's maddening! LOL Most will do it more quickly thankfully. It would bet 48-72 hours for you?? Just a pure guess!
        Signature Sporthorses
        www.signaturesporthorses.com

Comment

Is her udder staying up all the time? Or is it going down during the day?

Comment

The udder looks farther along than I would have guessed. My first thought was two-three weeks but maybe not judging from that udder. Hope it progresses nicely for you.
            McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

JB it's staying up. If you squint your eyes and turn your head you might be able to argue that it's down a tiny bit in the middle of the day? I took that photo at 8:00pm. She had been turned out all day and came back in around 4:30pm.

I can feel though that the udder is full of a lot of EDEMA which I can squish around. Actually it will go down a little bit after I squish and poke and milk but not too too much.

I'm hoping the CA will give us a clue. 3 nights ago we were checking every 30 min (between myself and my sister) because of the PH drop. 2 nights ago we did the same but only from the hours of 1:00am to 5:00am. Then last night we changed to every hour 1:00am to 5:00am. I'm realizing that she does still probably have another change to show me and I just need to be patient and wait for it.

I'm SO VERY excited for this baby! And I adore this mare and don't want anything to happen to her

Comment

How is her tail head? The muscles around it will really soften and become squishy. Also her vulva will relax and almost look gappy when she's really close.
                www.debracysporthorses.com
                Home of Sea Accounts xx
                AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

Also, if you think you might ever breed her again, take notes on her signs. With a maiden or a new mare, you tend to lose a fair amount of sleep, but if you take notes of what she did the last 24-48 hrs. then next time, you won't lose so much sleep!
                  www.debracysporthorses.com
                  Home of Sea Accounts xx
                  AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
                  "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

• Original Poster

Cyriz's Mom - it's super soft. But the trouble with these subjective parts is I never know how much MORE they can change. Around day 300 I thought it would be impossible for the muscles around her tail head to become any softer. But they have...and now the muscles / hamstrings that run down the backs of her legs are crazy soft which I didn't expect. She'll let ME do anything with her tail but she'll resist when others touch it. Her vulva is "relaxed" but I suspect it could do more? It's gappy but only at the bottom and it's still pretty pink inside though she has a lot of colors inside there that my last mare didn't have Some darker pigmenting that has always been there but always throws me off. Things are swollen so she has little creases around the outside border pressing it up against the insides of her hind legs but it's been THAT way for a good 5-7 days.

All these subjective things are why I like the milk testing so much But our last mare didn't drop below 6 until she was READY (she went 2 days after heading into the 6 range) but her calcium followed step in step with the PH. This mare is playing with her PH but not her calcium. Also with our last mare we could get milk around 320 so we had a lot longer to fuss. This mare wouldn't give me more than half a drop until day 333? So I felt like I was behind on the curve and got panicked when I saw it go into the 6 range!

We'll see what today brings

Comment

FWIW, my mare's vulva never did gape or look terribly elongated the day she foaled. Now, it might have in the hour or 2 before, but I wasn't checking then LOL

if it's staying up, she's close, but it could still be a week or two, or maybe a day or two LOL

Comment

• Original Poster

if it's staying up, she's close, but it could still be a week or two, or maybe a day or two LOL
                        Blargh. Remind me why this is fun again? I know I'll have my own reminder before too long!!

Comment

• Original Poster

We have a little movement tonight. Day 336 we have definite wax on her teats, and PH at 6.4. Calcium is moving as well...180-200ppm.

Udder: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

PH: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Diluted milk: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Comment

How exciting, getting MUCH closer!! Look forward to the pictures!!
                            Elegant Expressions Farm

Visit us on Facebook too !!

Comment

Much more foal-friendly nipples!

Comment

I don't want to jinx you, but she does seem to be progressing on schedule. This from a person whose mare was a 6.2 or below for over 80 hours...
                                McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

• Original Poster

Well no baby last night. So much for my full-moon hopes!

Today I'm going to take another belly shot and compare it to the one I took a few days ago. It's so fascinating to me to watch the changes!

Comment

• Original Poster

A new photo compare: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

I think it's moved back?

Day 337 - PH solid 6.4

Udder - was dripping milk at 12:30 but cleared up to what you see here by 4:00: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Undiluted milk - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Ca is at a solid 200ppm
                                    Soon...very very soon.

Comment

I'm going to guess you've still got another day or two, but your close. Perhaps tomorrow night?
                                      Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
                                      Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
                                      Facebook Page.
                                      Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Comment

I think those last pics show real progress and are getting super close.... Hopefully you have a baby!!
                                        www.neighland.com
                                        Friend us on FB

Comment

Working...
                                        X