• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

please share&care in NorthAmerica, too....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• please share&care in NorthAmerica, too....

not sure where to post this (for some reason i can't post in horsecareforum, either?), thus, it might not be all appropriate under sporthorse breeding but as long as it is being passed along it sure serves the matter...

found this on facebook, and while i kept ignoring the horse meat scandal for the time being overhere in europe, THIS is really striking.
    since this is not about pasta&pizza but about HORSES.
    this is not about europe or emerging market countries, this is CANADA and all of us.

you don't need to understand german or swiss (this is a swiss report)
    i have watched part of the video (couldn't stand more) and figured, it speaks for itself.
    http://www.20min.ch/wissen/news/story/19586872

just pass it on to whom you think it may concern.
    http://hippologi.com

http://muensterland-pferde.de

I am so ashamed to be a canadian...
    I am so ashamed to be a human....
    Suzanne
    bloomingtonfarm.com
    Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Comment

Originally posted by bloomingtonfarm View Post
      I am so ashamed to be a canadian...
      I am so ashamed to be a human....
      You are not alone... all of us, who turn a blind eye to this horror - share some responsibility for this.

Before you breed another horse, take a look, to the very end, to see if this is how one of yours ended up. Then ask yourself if there isn't a better way to make a buck.
      Logres Farm on Facebook
      http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
      http://logresdobermans.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

don't get me wrong.
        my intention is not to blame canadians or anyone else.
        slaughter or eating horse meat is acceptable use, no matter where.
        just help slaughtering animals with dignity.

no idea if there is an engl translation to the written article underneath available.
        however, i can translate relevant parts of the text underneath if you want to - ?

engl translation within text:

Der wahre Skandal ums Pferdefleisch
        the real scandal about horse meat

Europa diskutiert über das Rossfleisch in der Lasagne.
        europe is in a discussion about horse meat in lasagne.
        Oft vergessen wird, wie Pferde, die auf unseren Tellern landen, gehalten und geschlachtet werden.
        however, we often forget how horses, that end up on our plates, are being kept and slaughtered.

Der Skandal um nicht deklariertes Pferdefleisch in verschiedenen Produkten zieht weitere Kreise:
        the scandal about non declared horse meat in many products is reaching far.

Der Tierschutzbund Zürich (TSB) kritisiert, dass in die Schweiz importiertes Pferdefleisch aus den USA, Kanada, Mexiko und Argentinien aus «Qualproduktion» stamme.

the swiss animal aid assosiation criticizes, that horse meat which is imported to switzerland comes from US, canadian, mexican and argentinian "pain-production"
        Weder Haltung, Transport und Umgang mit Pferden noch deren Schlachtung entsprächen den EU- und Schweizer Standards, hiess es.
        neither carriage, transport and handling nor the process of slaughtering is according to EU or swiss standards.

Mit ein Grund für die Misere ist, dass in den USA 2007 ein Schlachtstopp verhängt wurde. Der Entscheid hat den Tieren jedoch mehr geschadet als genützt.
        one reason for the misery is that the USA imposed a slaughter stop over horses in 2007.
        this policy, however, did more harm than help to the creatures.

Denn die Transportbedingungen in die Schlachthöfe der Nachbarländer sind gemessen an Schweizer Standards miserabel.
        since conditions of transport to the slaughteries of the neighbouring countries are miserable compared to swiss standards.

In den USA dürfen Pferde bis zu 28 Stunden, in Kanada gar bis zu 36 Stunden ohne Wasser, Nahrung und Ruhepausen transportiert werden.
        in the US horses are allowed to be kept without water, food and rest up to 28 hours, in canada even 36 hours.

Sie werden eng zusammengepfercht und fällt ein Tier um, droht ihm, dass es von Artgenossen niedergetrampelt wird.
        they are tightly packed and if a horse falls down it risks being stamped to death by others.
        Zudem ist auch nicht vorgeschrieben, dass Pferdetransporter ein Dach haben müssen. So werden die Tiere bei Wind und Wetter ohne Schutz vor heisser Sonne oder kaltem Schnee gefahren.
        there is no order that horse transports need to be sheltered and have a roof. so animals can be transported unprotected from wind and weather, hot sun or icy snow.

... thus far the written report goes.
        Last edited by fannie mae; Feb. 21, 2013, 02:28 PM.

Comment

fannie mae, I totally agree. Stopping slaughter is not the answer, but having better controls on humane transport, housing, and slaughter practices are. It breaks my heart to think of any horse going to slaughter, but not having this option will lead to thousands of horses starving and being neglected every year.

Addressing this issue to responsible breeders is not the issue either. Most responsible breeders would take back any horses that we had bred or owned, if it was in a bad situation. The problem lies with uncaring and uneducated breeders. Just go to the sales. Most of those horses are either physically or mentally broken. I wish the people would just euthanize them, but they would rather make $400 than have to spend that on euthanasia and disposal. Some of the horses are from people who allowed their numbers to get out of control. Over the years, I have seen several people who had over 100 horses because they started with a dozen or so and failed to have colts gelded. One man brought 35 Quarter Horse stallions who were 5 to 10 years old and were all untouched by the hand of man until the sale. Another brought over 80 Paint horses to the sale at one time as they were starving. Again, this was a problem with never gelding colts. She had yearlings who were pregnant. The situation needs to be addressed on this level, but there is nothing in place to help with solutions.

Comment

• Original Poster

totally agree with you!
            again: my intention is not to blame canadians or anyone else.
            slaughter or eating horse meat is an acceptable use, no matter where.
            just help slaughtering animals with dignity.

my idea was:
            maybe s.o. here (in NA) can pass this on to whom it may concern?
            politicians?
            people in a position to question and help HOW this is being done?

i have passed this on to a german radio station and even astrid apples' "eurodressage".
            my intention is to raise attention amongst people in a position who can help.
            as power usually comes with wealth and money.
            people who are involved in sport horses (and dressage) and thus the target group of eurodressage could be helpful distibutors.

i might be wrong and reach noone.
            but doing nothing about it is already a lost chance.
            maybe these posts can help for useful distribution to s.o. who is in a position to help?
            nothing to loose. but a lot to gain if only the slightest chance available...
            Last edited by fannie mae; Feb. 21, 2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

I am not against slaughterhouse , but the actual management of these horses at auction, in the transportation and at the slaughterhouse is a CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY. If the concerns that drove the US goverment to close the slaughterhouse had been addressed to change their process instead, we would have made a much bigger step into ending the life of this horses in a more peaceful and human way.
              Suzanne
              bloomingtonfarm.com
              Breeder of Royal Dutch Sport Horse

Comment

At the moment there is legislation pending in Oklahoma to permit horse slaughter. If people in Oklahoma would support modern, humane, inspected and well-regulated horse slaughter, some of the problems might end.

But I also understand that the EU has passed strict regulations on what horses can be allowed to be slaughtered to be imported there. I've read that because of rampant drug use at race tracks, TBs cannot be slaughtered for EU meat export.
                Last edited by vineyridge; Feb. 22, 2013, 01:18 PM.
                "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

I agree with what the others have said. There has to be a way for everyone to help in some way to improve the conditions of these poor horses! Bringing awareness on the issue is certainly the first step. It's horribly sad the way they these animals are managed from beginning to end. I can't speak for the laws in Mexico but in Canada and the US I'm surprised that there aren't stricter regulations. It can't be legal to treat them like this!
                  Westbrook Farm
                  Facebook

Comment

Since horse slaughter isn't allowed in the USA, horses are just collected and sent off to Canada and Mexico, prolonging their unbearable suffering.
                    Well done, Humane Society of the United States. You made horse slaughter illegal in this country and pride yourselves of doing so.
                    Did you really help those poor animals?

Comment

Originally posted by HickoryHill View Post
                      Since horse slaughter isn't allowed in the USA, horses are just collected and sent off to Canada and Mexico, prolonging their unbearable suffering.
                      Well done, Humane Society of the United States. You made horse slaughter illegal in this country and pride yourselves of doing so.
                      Did you really help those poor animals?
                      What this video proved to me is that we need properly run slaughter houses HERE, in the USA.
                      Patty
                      www.rivervalefarm.com
                      Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Originally posted by NoDQhere View Post
                        What this video proved to me is that we need properly run slaughter houses HERE, in the USA.
                        Absolutely, we need properly run slaughter houses here, but we also need to stop people from breeding horses indiscriminately. I know people will object but some sort of control like breeding licenses should be required.

Comment

Originally posted by HickoryHill View Post
                          Absolutely, we need properly run slaughter houses here, but we also need to stop people from breeding horses indiscriminately. I know people will object but some sort of control like breeding licenses should be required.
                          I agree with you in principle, but I also fear it is a slippery slope. Who would be in charge of licensing? When the slaughter houses were first shut down I knew it was going to be bad for the horses. But I also thought it would put many of the "Foal mill" breeders out of business and that the "cream would rise to the top" so to speak. That doesn't seem to have happened. All that we have ended up with is more suffering for the horses.

I believe that if the slaughter houses are re-opened, the cost of hay will keep the numbers of breeders breeding indiscriminately in check. It used to be that a foal was worth as much as a calf and horses would survive on pasture that wouldn't support a cow so were "easier" to raise. Those days are gone.

I also believe that contrary to the Animal Rights Agenda, raising horses is an "honorable" profession. Horses are livestock and if some people want to eat them, that is their business, not mine. But I also believe that we owe ALL SLAUGHTERED animals a quick and HUMANE death. It shouldn't be all that difficult to provide that!
                          Patty
                          www.rivervalefarm.com
                          Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Working...
                          X