• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I've been nice, I've been patient, now what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been nice, I've been patient, now what?

I booked to a RID stallion in December of 2011; I booked early so I could get a discount, and paid $1000 for the stud fee.

My mare foaled in May, we skipped her foal heat, and I prepped to breed her on her 21 day cycle. Unfortunately she ovulated earlier than expected and we missed her.

We short cycled her, I dropped her at my vet's facility, and a couple of days later I ordered semen. The evening that the semen was supposed to be shipped, I received an emotional phone call from the SO telling me that the stallion was having a severe glaucoma flare up, and was blind. Initially I was full of sympathy, but then I thought WTF, why would an SO not know their stallion was blind?!! And why have I spent all these $$ readying my mare only to find out I'm not even going to get a shipment of semen?

They offered to collect one of this stallion's sons, but I picked this stallion for specific reasons, and didn't want second best for her. **Side note, we had bred another mare to one of their other stallions, and received semen with less than 15% motility both times. He would have been my second choice, but why would I throw money at that?**

By then we were nearing the beginning of July, and I didn't want to breed my mare that late (we live in GA, and it gets HOT). I asked for a refund since it didn't sound promising that the stallion would be available for collecting again (in fact, he was euthanized a couple of weeks later).

SO assured me that I would receive a full refund. They were planning a move across the pond, and would reimburse me as soon as they sold one of their horses (who doesn't keep some stud fee dollars in an escrow for cases like this??).

Fast forward until now. SO has sold MULTIPLE horses, bought a new stallion, and has moved to England. The closest I've come to getting my money was a $500 check that bounced, and I had to pay a bank fee on!!!!

They still have at least two horses in the US that are for sale. Am I entitled to put a lien against these horses?

Any suggestions would be appreciated....
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

I can offer to replace the breeding for free...

I don't know if that will help as my stallion is the opposite of any of his stallions...17+ traditional type...11 inches of bone http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/H...63&UserID=3935 but he is also RID Class 1. I think there are probably other stallion owners who will stand behind the breed to help get your mare bred. I will post on the IDHSNA Central Region Facebook page and see who else might offer. PatO

Comment

I hate to say you are most likely SOOL. Your best option would be to take them to small claims court. It would cost more than it is worth to file a civil suit.

Also, I also hate to be the person to say this but if you win a small claims court case against them and if they are standing a new stallion...your best option of getting paid is to go public. The negative press may light a fire under them to pay you back. I would only do this when you have a court judgement in your favor...so you are only stating FACTS, not he said, she said.

I won a civil suit against a past employee of mine that stole $20K. I'll never get paid but I put my saga online. This way when she applies for a new job if they do an internet search before hiring her, her name will come up with this story. It was my only "revenge" and a way to let other potential future employers know that she is a thief.
      Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
      http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
      http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Comment

Wow! You really did get screwed -- I'm so sorry! PatO that is a really generous offer! I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction. I stood two stallions for many years and can't imagine not doing everything possible and honest to resolve an issue such as this! Best of luck -- most stallion owners want only to get your mare in foal and hope for a live foal as a result.
        PennyG

Comment

Originally posted by columbus View Post
          I don't know if that will help as my stallion is the opposite of any of his stallions...17+ traditional type...11 inches of bone http://www.warmbloods-for-sale.com/H...63&UserID=3935 but he is also RID Class 1. I think there are probably other stallion owners who will stand behind the breed to help get your mare bred. I will post on the IDHSNA Central Region Facebook page and see who else might offer. PatO

What a lovely gesture.
          "I don't know what your generation's fascination is with documenting your every thought... but I can assure you, they're not all diamonds." Mr. G

Comment

Originally posted by bluehof View Post
            I won a civil suit against a past employee of mine that stole $20K. I'll never get paid but I put my saga online. This way when she applies for a new job if they do an internet search before hiring her, her name will come up with this story. It was my only "revenge" and a way to let other potential future employers know that she is a thief.
            Couldn't agree more! In my opinion, you were getting the run around right from the beginning and I don't think they had any intention of refunding your money. And yes, reputable Stallion Owners do set money aside during the year for cases just like this...or at least will pay you back in a timely manner, especially if they've gone and sold a few horses in the meantime

One option is small claims court, but that really does you no good if they are now in the UK. I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess that you would actually have to hire a lawyer and sue civilly in order to put a lien on one of the horses still residing in the U.S. And sadly, most lawyers will tell you that if you are suing for under $25,000, the lawyer fees, filing fees and court costs will greatly outweigh anything you gain from it.

But like bluehof mentioned, your best revenge is to openly express your dissatisfaction with their business practices and service. I mean really, we give hotels and restaurants good and bad reviews, why not Stallion Owners? And as bluehof mentioned, if nothing else, it may stop an innocent party from doing business with them if they should happen to do a search for them on the internet and your bad review pops up.

And a HUGE kudos to columbus for her generous offer. If only all Stallion Owners could be that awesome!!
            www.DaventryEquestrian.com
            Home of Welsh Cob stallion Goldhills Brandysnap
            Also home to Daventry Equine Appraisals & Equine Expert Witness
            www.EquineAppraisers.com

Comment

Replacement Semen

Summit Equine Hospital in Apex,North Carolina is the agent for some of those horses. I would contact them.
              You might also contact the owners in the UK at www.idhsgb.com on the Forum page.
              Good luck

Comment

• Original Poster

Hi All,

Thank you for the responses, you've confirmed my thoughts. It will cost too much money to take legal action, and I will likely never get the stud fee back. I am aware that there is frozen on some of their previous stallions, and I'm thinking I might ask for 'x' amount of doses to be done with it. Shame the stallion I really wanted to use doesn't have any stored.
                Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by columbus View Post
                  PatO: Thank you, and I am impressed to say that you are the SECOND RID owner/breeder that has offered this! What a gesture from your society, and although I'm not one to right a breed off because of one negative experience, it certainly gives me hope for future dealings within the breed and society.

We do have a 1/2 RID 1/4 Conn 1/4 TB due in April, and I will be pleased to be joining the society!
                  Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Daventry View Post
                    Couldn't agree more! In my opinion, you were getting the run around right from the beginning and I don't think they had any intention of refunding your money. And yes, reputable Stallion Owners do set money aside during the year for cases just like this...or at least will pay you back in a timely manner, especially if they've gone and sold a few horses in the meantime

One option is small claims court, but that really does you no good if they are now in the UK. I'm not a lawyer, but I would guess that you would actually have to hire a lawyer and sue civilly in order to put a lien on one of the horses still residing in the U.S. And sadly, most lawyers will tell you that if you are suing for under $25,000, the lawyer fees, filing fees and court costs will greatly outweigh anything you gain from it.

But like bluehof mentioned, your best revenge is to openly express your dissatisfaction with their business practices and service. I mean really, we give hotels and restaurants good and bad reviews, why not Stallion Owners? And as bluehof mentioned, if nothing else, it may stop an innocent party from doing business with them if they should happen to do a search for them on the internet and your bad review pops up.

And a HUGE kudos to columbus for her generous offer. If only all Stallion Owners could be that awesome!!
                    Since they are no longer in the country, hopefully they can't do any more damage here. I try not to be vindictive but believe me if there are any inquiries about this couple or their program, I will be PM-ing away! Sadly, this happens over and over in the horse world, each time a you learn a little more. I purchased two nice colts last year in hopes that one will be suitable to keep entire for my program; trying to rule out having to deal with other SOs!
                    Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

Frozen Semen

Originally posted by GAEventer View Post
                      Hi All,

Thank you for the responses, you've confirmed my thoughts. It will cost too much money to take legal action, and I will likely never get the stud fee back. I am aware that there is frozen on some of their previous stallions, and I'm thinking I might ask for 'x' amount of doses to be done with it. Shame the stallion I really wanted to use doesn't have any stored.
                      Yes there is frozen semen for this horse. If you post on GB's forum, the owner posts there. Maybe she will do the right thing

Comment

So sorry to hear GAEventer
                        www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
                        Wonderful ponies for family or show!

Comment

I would ordinarily say wise things like you need to do your research before you get involved with a stallion owner/trainer/breeder but some people, for whatever reason, seem to leave a trail of problems and excuses behind them, at times nearly getting their act together, but not quite. Sometimes you come across someone who has a lot of people who toss them huzzahs and blessings and say you will love them, while the rest of us just shake our heads and wonder about what seems obvious. I think we experienced horse people sometimes kid themselves that we would never fall for a accent or a smooth presentation but the truth is we don't want to live our life looking for dishonesty...or at least I don't. So we have put this out there for ideas in the ID community and maybe someone will have the right key to help you. In this day and age with the internet and Facebook you can't escape your past. Shortly, people across the Atlantic will know to beware. There IS incentive for them to resolve this and show they DO care about their customers. If they want success in their new home this would be a good start. I am by no means perfect and have a paperwork disability that aggravates others. I hope what has been done helps. Take care PatO

Comment

You have the worst luck... I remember the issues with Comet Shine's people too. Just awful! I would put this on the forums they frequent and ask for frozen, they need to do the right thing here.

Comment

boy this sucks...sounds like you're out of luck. perhaps this is something these people do often? have you heard of anyone else having the same problems with these breeders? if so, what course of action did THEY take and did they have any luck?
                              Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

This totally sucks and as a Stallion Owner myself, it really hits home as how NOT to do business with clients that have trusted you at your word and sent money up front to you

When Winner died - very suddenly with no warning when he was away from our farm, I had 3 paid bookings to him and a multitude of expenses on him that I was counting on the stud fees to pay me back with. When I got the news I had a serious "Oh SH!#" moment, had a drink, did nothing that night and then started emailing and calling the clients the next morning to let them know and to give them 3 options. One which was to refund their fees completely including the booking fee which I clearly state in my contract is "non refundable in all circumstances". I figured they cant be dealt a loss because he died ...

I unfortunately didnt hold any funds in "escrow" and I told my clients it would take me a few weeks to pay them back, which it did, but everyone that wanted their fees refunded was paid back and now I know if my name comes up anywhere and they are reading it, they would stand behind their dealings with me and be complimentary in how I handled our transaction. And that is the ONLY way *I* know how to conduct my business

And yes - I also was well aware that no one would sue me - the dollar amounts werent high enough to do so, but that was never the point. Doing the "right thing" always was

SO sorry you've gone through this. I hope you can get it resolved
                                www.TrueColoursFarm.com
                                www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                                  You have the worst luck... I remember the issues with Comet Shine's people too. Just awful! I would put this on the forums they frequent and ask for frozen, they need to do the right thing here.
                                  Amazingly I managed to get the stud fee back in that situation. It took several months but she did pay me back. Granted, I had wasted much more preparing the mare for breeding.
                                  Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by equinekingdom View Post
                                    boy this sucks...sounds like you're out of luck. perhaps this is something these people do often? have you heard of anyone else having the same problems with these breeders? if so, what course of action did THEY take and did they have any luck?
                                    I've received mixed reviews on this farm's business practices. I thought I did my homework; I went to the farm, met her and the stallions. I had talked to a few people and hadn't heard anything negative. They were prompt with the paperwork for the contracts (which so many SO's aren't).

They agreed to refund my money since the stallion died and there isn't frozen on him (and I didn't really want to go the frozen route). I didn't want to switch to another one of the stallions since it was so late in the season, and more importantly, they weren't who I would pick for the mare. Now, I'm thinking I should try to get an agreement on frozen for one of the other boys and just use on another mare down the road. We will see if they will agree to this.

Again, I really appreciate the response from the IDSNA, and am impressed that so many in their community are concerned about a client's experience within their breed.
                                    Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by fragonard View Post
                                      Yes there is frozen semen for this horse. If you post on GB's forum, the owner posts there. Maybe she will do the right thing
                                      Fragonard from what I understand, they intended to freeze him, but either didn't complete the process before he died, or he didn't freeze well.
                                      Fade to Grey Farm

Comment

You could apply pressure via the registry they use.
                                        ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

Working...
                                        X