• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lethal White Syndrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So are there any genetic problems to look for in warmbloods?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by skydy View Post
      I will speak up if you give me the link to the actual "conversation". If I were to be banned would it keep me from watching COTHer's mares late at night? ( links from this forum,from specific COTH members, are the only way I have ever visited "mare stare").

Those are the only ones I'm interested in watching ( I have no desire to see much of what is out there I'm sure) ,and I can be of use because I keep late hours.
      Here is the thread, but I really recommend that you not say anything disparaging as it will be deleted, most likely long before the mare owner gets a chance to view it. They can ban people from being able to view other people's cams as I had to have them ban someone once but not sure how often they go to that extreme.
      http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/in...?topic=29105.0
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
        Here is the thread, but I really recommend that you not say anything disparaging as it will be deleted, most likely long before the mare owner gets a chance to view it. They can ban people from being able to view other people's cams as I had to have them ban someone once but not sure how often they go to that extreme.
        http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/in...?topic=29105.0
        Ok... I went to the site. It seems only sunshine and butterflies and heaven is allowed.

Of course no one wants to kick someone when they're down, but it is obvious that those folks are in need of an education in responsible breeding.

That said, I did not join to make a comment. I don't think that even a kindly worded clinical explanation of why that NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED would be welcome.

Far be it from me, to bang my head against a wall..

I do look forward to seeing any COTHer's mare stare feeds when the time comes.

I'm not going back there.Too much tragedy potential and I don't need to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post

I think there are two kinds of breeders who fit this catagory...ignorant ones who just don't "know" and the very large businesses (mostly found out here in "livestock country") who consider horses in the same class as cattle and just write off the lost ones!!
          Even if you were breeding cattle, the 25% risk is still waaaaay above what would be considered 1) ethical & 2) financially viable.

Comment

• Original Poster

For the love of God, DO NOT watch any of the mini mare's cams! And no, commentary of any sort is frowned upon. They yell at people for having too much interaction on threads. Report what you see if the mare is doing something reportable, pray, shut up. That's it. That is where I first discovered I hate emoticons as well!
            McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Laurierace, I'm not going there AT ALL.
              As I said, I'll confine myself to watching mare stare only when the link is posted on this forum.

I can only imagine what you have seen..And I don't want to see it.

Comment

That is one thing about MS that drives me insane. God forbid anyone say anything negative and actually allow others to learn something! How many of us were banned because of the Sassy fiasco? Heck, I said something about hating watching minis foal because it often seems WAY more difficult with a much higher mortality rate than ponies and horses. Oh. My. Gawd! I was edited, slammed on the board, AND given a reprimand with threat of being banned. All by the company owner, who just happens to be a mini-breeder, and who happene to lose a healthy foal during a (what seems typical for her farm) difficult foaling the night before.

All I have to say about that thread is PUKE!!! She should not have bred that mare to that stallion, especially since it appears she either knew the stallion was positive on the test (hence her talking about testing the mare) OR he is untested (again, hence testing the mare). Irresponsible all around.
                "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                  Yes

However, even then, it IS in other breeds, though it didn't jump there from the Paint. It's in the TBs, though just a very few lines.
                  Really?? You just wrote that the HYPP gene did not jump from the QH to other breeds. , and I acknowledged that it jumped to other breed REGISTRIES.. (semantics)
                  Now, it didn't jump to the TB from the QH either. It began with a genetic mutation in one horse. The QH stallion "Impressive".

Please tell, what TB lines are afflicted with HYPP?

I am very interested to know which TB lines, that you are certain, have the HYPP gene and pass it on.
                  Last edited by skydy; Feb. 21, 2013, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maybedog View Post
                    I have first hand heartbreak with HYPP. About 30 years ago I bred 2 mares to an Impressive grandson. He looked more TB
                    More proof that HYPP does not at all guarantee that steroid look

Originally posted by Snowfox View Post
                    So are there any genetic problems to look for in warmbloods?
                    EPSM/PSSM is "common" in WBs, and yes, there are tests for it now

Originally posted by skydy View Post
                    Really?? You just wrote that the HYPP gene did not jump from the QH to other breeds. , and I acknowledged that it jumped to other breed REGISTRIES.. (semantics)
                    Now, it didn't jump to the TB from the QH either. It began with a genetic mutation in one horse. The QH stallion "Impressive".

Please tell, what TB lines are afflicted with HYPP?

I am very interested to know which TB lines, that you are certain, have the HYPP gene and pass it on.
                    ummmmm, if you would finish reading, you will see that in our whole conversation, we/I were jumping around between OLWS and HYPP

Comment

Sorry, if this is a gruesome question, but what about the LWO gene causes the actual fatality? The foal is born alive and then dies? From what?

I am involved in Federal genomics policy, and this stuff (as sad as it is) fascinates me.
                      Barn rat for life

Comment

Incomplete digestive tract - they physically cannot pass manure. Ever. It's not even close enough that surgery could fix it

So yes, he's born alive and quite happy, but if he's not put down, he WILL die of, eventually, ruptures

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wcporter View Post
                          Sorry, if this is a gruesome question, but what about the LWO gene causes the actual fatality? The foal is born alive and then dies? From what?

I am involved in Federal genomics policy, and this stuff (as sad as it is) fascinates me.
                          The layman's answer to that is they have an incomplete intestinal system ie. can not poop.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Oh God. That's horrible!

So is it obvious when the poor foal is born that it is LWO?
                            Barn rat for life

Comment

• Original Poster

They start displaying colic symptoms shortly after birth so if it isn't apparent due to them being white it will be apparent soon enough.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Wow. I can't imagine risking that. So sick. And sad.
                                Barn rat for life

Comment

Originally posted by wcporter View Post
                                  Oh God. That's horrible!

So is it obvious when the poor foal is born that it is LWO?
                                  These foals are born all/nearly all white, so that's the first clue, particularly when you know Frame is involved. I THINK, but won't swear, there is a quick test that can be done to verify that the foal is indeed a homozygous Frame. Maximally expressed Sabino, and maximally expressed Dominant White foals are also born all/nearly all white, so it's important to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                                    More proof that HYPP does not at all guarantee that steroid look

EPSM/PSSM is "common" in WBs, and yes, there are tests for it now

ummmmm, if you would finish reading, you will see that in our whole conversation, we/I were jumping around between OLWS and HYPP
                                    I did read ,and you were jumping around and unclear.. Thanks for clearing that up.

Comment

Many years ago a "friend" of mine brought her mare to us to foal. She was a black and white frame. I asked her owner what she was bred to and she said "a pretty stud that looks just like her". Sure enough, she foaled a white foal. He did have some black in his tail, but I called the owner to prepare her for what I knew was inevitable. Within a few hours the foal was very colicky so was put down. I was so upset, especially when the owner said she would get a free rebreed! I preached till I was blue in the face, but it did no good. After all, she explained to me that it was only a 25% chance.
                                      Patty
                                      www.rivervalefarm.com
                                      Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Thanks for the explanations. And what a sad way one has to "confirm" it--few things are more painful than colic.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
                                          Even if you were breeding cattle, the 25% risk is still waaaaay above what would be considered 1) ethical & 2) financially viable.
                                          I agree...but as you see...people are still willing to take the risk!! Ethics may not be involved and the financial situation is minmal. Horses are left to eat "available" grass (minimal hay when needed) and available water, no vaccinations, worming, pampering. The "overhead" is not the same as reputable breeders incur. A foal ( to some, not all) is a free bonus. OLW...oh well. Not our style, but such practices abound in our area. Years ago I was selling one of our stallions, a homozygous B/W paint. A "buyer" came to the farm and wanted to buy the stud to turn out with 80 broodmares. I asked what discipline he was targeting. He said, "nothing particular, I just want painted babies"!! It DOES happen in the real world!!
                                          www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                          Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Working...
                                          X