• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Lethal White Syndrome

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zipperfoot View Post
    It's my understanding that HYPP only occurs in QH and QH crosses, specifically in horses that trace back to Impressive. Impressive had a high percentage of TB blood (line-bred Three Bars IIRC), but apparently the mutation first occurred in him, not his TB predecessors. Are there any research studies that verify that it also occurs in TBs?
    LOL, no, you are right. I forgot we were talking about HYPP at that point and I jumped over to Frame

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
      No disagreement here It will be interesting to know in the future if the link is actually genetic, or if it's a man-made issue by choosing one trait and inadvertently bring along the WSS. If it's the latter, it can be bred out while retaining the quality characteristics.
      ? not sure what you are saying - but HWSS has been "proven" to be genetic by a researcher at Davis -right now they are working on a test........

also fwiw, it is HWSS not WSS

Comment

It seems like if you want to protect genetic diversity, prevent horses from being bred that have recessive genetic defects the best option would be to not allow stallions to produce registered offspring. As nice as it would be to see all horse owners step up and make sure they don't produce animals with horrible genetic defects it doesn't seem to be happening.

Comment

Originally posted by mbm View Post
          ? not sure what you are saying - but HWSS has been "proven" to be genetic by a researcher at Davis -right now they are working on a test........
          Of course it's genetic, that's not what I mean. What I mean is - is there an unbreakable genetic link between HWSS and whatever it is that makes these horses so wonderful, is it like Frame where frame IS Lethal White (in the homozgyous form) and LWO IS Frame) OR, were these 2 things separate to begin with, they happened to come together in a line or an individual, and because the one trait was bred for (the wonderfulness) the HWSS was inadvertently also brought along, giving rise to the homozygous horses and the further spread of the disease.

also fwiw, it is HWSS not WSS
          yeah, sorry, not sure why I keep leaving out the H

Comment

Originally posted by FayeHanoverian View Post
            It seems like if you want to protect genetic diversity, prevent horses from being bred that have recessive genetic defects the best option would be to not allow stallions to produce registered offspring. As nice as it would be to see all horse owners step up and make sure they don't produce animals with horrible genetic defects it doesn't seem to be happening.
            It may not be happening with everyone, but people have gone to an amazing amount of trouble to prevent recessives from being bred together. When the first recessive was found in Arabs about 30 years ago, people stuck their head in the sand and then came around to testing programs and advertising that their horses were SCID, CA, and LFS clear. So people who are knowledgeable and responsible are definitely doing their job.

That is not the kind of person we are talking about in this thread. The knowledge and means were there for her to do the responsible thing and she did not. No excuse. No way to legislate this type of person out of the breeding business. Very sad for the foal.

Comment

LOL, no, you are right. I forgot we were talking about HYPP at that point and I jumped over to Frame
              LOL, that's OK--I wondered if you were talking about frame, but figured I should ask since I haven't kept up on recent HYPP research.

Just want to go on record that I think AQHA's stance on HYPP is ridiculous--they're just caving to those breeders that think N/H halter horses exemplify the breed ideal--YUCK!

Comment

Carriers of HYPP should never be allowed to breed, because nH IS having the disease, not merely a carrier. But HERDA carriers are unaffected in the hetero state, and sure, there can be an argument to allow them to breed to non-carriers, but still - why? In this case, it's a QH thing, diversity is not an issue, why not disallow registration of all carriers and just get rid of the disease? well, "get rid of" as best we can, as there will always be unregistred crossbred carriers There isn't any benefit, aesthetic or otherwise, to allow carriers to remain around, not like Frame/LWO
                I agree that the HYPP carriers should not be registered or bred, but I don't believe it's accurate to say there isn't any aesthetic benefit to keeping those horses. Impressive was a very muscular halter horse, a huge winner, and a very prepotent sire. The halter people like that look; I think it's safe to say that's why these (N/H) horses are still being bred and registered. I read somewhere that unfortunately the (H/H) HYPP horses are still being allowed into the Paint and Appaloosa registries.
                I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

What's even worse is breeders who purposefully breed FOR HYPP because they are just positive it will make that muscular-looking horse There are plenty of ?H horses who are lean, and there are lots of NN horses who look like they're on steroids (which I agree, is just a disgusting look). So, that blows that out of the water, yet they still cling to it as a stupid (because you can't fix that) excuse of why to keep purposefully breeding for it

That proves you can breed for that look without the risks of HYPP

Comment

And yes, APHA and ApHA still allow HH horses There is even a group of folks getting going a registry for HH QH's so they will have somewhere to go, so...

Comment

Really, really sad.
                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Originally posted by oldernewbie View Post
                        When the first recessive was found in Arabs about 30 years ago, people stuck their head in the sand and then came around to testing programs and advertising that their horses were SCID, CA, and LFS clear. So people who are knowledgeable and responsible are definitely doing their job.
                        Yet although the test for SCID has been available since the 90's, less than 20% of Arabians of breeding age have been tested to date. I don't call that responsible, unless people are only breeding untested mares to tested stallions. Call me a pessimist, but somehow I doubt it.

Unlike this ignorant QH/Paint breeder, SCID and the other Arab genetic problems are rarely evident at birth. These folks just bury their oopsies, nobody the wiser. In many cases they probably don’t even know why their foals got sick and died.

Until the AHR mandates all PB foals be tested before registration papers are issued, affected foals will still be born (and die) on a regular basis. Given the low rate of testing, the majority aren’t going to do the right thing unless forced.

Comment

• Original Poster

I just checked in on the thread briefly and had to click off. People are congratulating her for doing the right thing for the colt. Too bad she/he didn't do the right thing for the mare 11 or in this case 12 months ago.
                          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

FWIW...20+ years ago when we were first looking for a fancy H/J type paint stallion, I came across a breeder who specialized in blk/white overos, mostly frame. I asked about the LWO problem and her reply was that. "yes, they average 4-5 a year, but it was worth the chance!!" I immediately scratched THAT breeder off my list!! 25% chance of a LW baby is NOT an acceptable chance I'd take!! Of course many QH and paint breeders are dealing with 100's of mares making babies. Maybe they can live with those odds!!
                            www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                            Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

• Original Poster

OMG that is horrific! I really want to post that I hope this foal will be a lesson to others and his death wasn't in vain but I am sure even that would get deleted and possibly get me banned. I don't want to beat a dead horse, pun intended but I don't think it is something that should be glossed over either. They need to own up to their mistake and vow publicly not to make it again in my opinion.
                              McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

how did she do the right thing? It was going to drop dead anyway. Did she Euth him or let him die? It doesn't matter. How can you breed and risk your mare and foal just to have a dead foal at the end of the day (knowing that could be the outcome)? WTF?
                                Draumr Hesta Farm
                                "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

Originally posted by crosscreeksh View Post
                                  FWIW...20+ years ago when we were first looking for a fancy H/J type paint stallion, I came across a breeder who specialized in blk/white overos, mostly frame. I asked about the LWO problem and her reply was that. "yes, they average 4-5 a year, but it was worth the chance!!" I immediately scratched THAT breeder off my list!! 25% chance of a LW baby is NOT an acceptable chance I'd take!! Of course many QH and paint breeders are dealing with 100's of mares making babies. Maybe they can live with those odds!!

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about

They have NO better odds of a live Frame foal by breeding Frame to Frame - it's 50/50 either way. They only put that 25% chance of a dead foal in there. HOW is that "worth it"???

Comment

Originally posted by rcloisonne View Post
                                    Yet although the test for SCID has been available since the 90's, less than 20% of Arabians of breeding age have been tested to date. I don't call that responsible, unless people are only breeding untested mares to tested stallions. Call me a pessimist, but somehow I doubt it.

Unlike this ignorant QH/Paint breeder, SCID and the other Arab genetic problems are rarely evident at birth. These folks just bury their oopsies, nobody the wiser. In many cases they probably don’t even know why their foals got sick and died.

Until the AHR mandates all PB foals be tested before registration papers are issued, affected foals will still be born (and die) on a regular basis. Given the low rate of testing, the majority aren’t going to do the right thing unless forced.
                                    Just to be the devil's advocate, I can think of some reasons why not all horses would be tested. If a horse is gelded, or never to be bred, why bother testing. Also if you know that both parents are negative - since there are many public lists of carriers and non-carriers, and a lot more knowledge now about which lines tend to be carriers - probably no test. But I am surprised that the number is that low in any case. Where did you get the number? (Genuinely curious, not trying to be a pain!)

Comment

That is EXACTLY what I was talking about

They have NO better odds of a live Frame foal by breeding Frame to Frame - it's 50/50 either way. They only put that 25% chance of a dead foal in there. HOW is that "worth it"???

I think there are two kinds of breeders who fit this catagory...ignorant ones who just don't "know" and the very large businesses (mostly found out here in "livestock country") who consider horses in the same class as cattle and just write off the lost ones!! I can't begin to imagine spending the time, money and effort of an 11 month gestation knowing in the back of my mind there was a 25% chance I was condeming a foal to a painful death. I know the "frame" look is desireable, but I would NEVER consider adding that risk to my breeding program.
                                      www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                      Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
                                        OMG that is horrific! I really want to post that I hope this foal will be a lesson to others and his death wasn't in vain but I am sure even that would get deleted and possibly get me banned. I don't want to beat a dead horse, pun intended but I don't think it is something that should be glossed over either. They need to own up to their mistake and vow publicly not to make it again in my opinion.
                                        I will speak up if you give me the link to the actual "conversation". If I were to be banned would it keep me from watching COTHer's mares late at night? ( links from this forum,from specific COTH members, are the only way I have ever visited "mare stare").

Those are the only ones I'm interested in watching ( I have no desire to see much of what is out there I'm sure) ,and I can be of use because I keep late hours.

Comment

I have first hand heartbreak with HYPP. About 30 years ago I bred 2 mares to an Impressive grandson. He looked more TB and was a 10++ mover. One was a TB mare and the other an appendix mare both had fillies. The TB mares foal had coordination issues at birth that improved some but was finally euthanized when weaned for her own safety. The other ones issues became apparent when I started breaking her. We had her at New Bolton twice for in-coordination issues. She was xrayed from stem to stern with no definitive diagnosis. Their only suggestion was to give her time, she was a big filly. About 2 months later the whole Impressive HYPP issue was exposed. I received a call from NB to bring her back for bloodwork and sure enough that was the issue and they felt was also the issue with the other filly. I was so angry!!!! I vowed then to do alot more research and become an informed, super responsible breeder. I still feel guilty about those innocent fillies.
                                          If there are no pets in Heaven then I want to go where they went !!!
                                          RIP Maybe June 13,1993-Sept.23,2006,Dexter March 11,1983-Sept.23,2009, Joey 1997?-June 21,2012, Abbey Dec.7, 2003-Aug.29-2016.

Comment

Working...
                                          X