• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How long do you 'hold' a horse for a buyer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I don't hold a horse for anyone without a non-refundable deposit. If I have a second party interested, I'd give the first person 24-48 hours to make up their mind and give me a deposit.

    You can't risk loosing a real sale for someone who might hum-hawing and daydreamin' about your horse.
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales
    Facebook | YouTube

    Comment


    • #22
      From my experience horse shopping I always did a vet check before I put down a deposite. I brought money with me to do the down payment so it was basically if I didn't leave cash both I and the sell considered that they didn't have any obligation to hold the horse for me. I really upset some sells by turning down horses after a vet check, moon blindness in one case, potential OCD coupled with trying to kick the vet in the second case. But I was happy have the ability to walk away after the vet check. One seller in particular really wanted the down payment first, but I made it very clear I would prefer to have the horse sold out from under me than to buy a horse without a vet check. My feeling is as a buyer you get the benefit of being able to walk away without worrying about a deposite, the seller can still entertain other offers. I agree that it's probably polite to offer the first person 48 hours to make her choice if for no other reason then a second vet check takes up more of your time. However, if there is no deposite you are completely within your rights to sell the horse.

      Comment


      • #23
        Faye, putting down a deposit does not preclude your ability to walk away. Normal practice is that if a horse does not pass the vet check, the deposit is returned in full to the buyer. Usually this is spelled out in a sales contract which is signed at the same time the deposit is given.

        Of course, if you aren't worried about the horse selling out from under you and you are present and ready to complete the deal the moment the vet check is finished, I think you probably are okay not giving deposits.

        OTOH, deposits protect the buyer as well as the seller. For example, if you vet a horse without having signed a sales contract/given a deposit, the seller could potentially change their mind about selling the horse or increase the price the instant the vetting/xrays came back clean.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by BeeHoney View Post
          Faye, putting down a deposit does not preclude your ability to walk away. Normal practice is that if a horse does not pass the vet check, the deposit is returned in full to the buyer. Usually this is spelled out in a sales contract which is signed at the same time the deposit is given.

          OTOH, deposits protect the buyer as well as the seller. For example, if you vet a horse without having signed a sales contract/given a deposit, the seller could potentially change their mind about selling the horse or increase the price the instant the vetting/xrays came back clean.
          Yeah, I agree, this is how I've always handled a deposit - it was refundable if the vet check was not satisfactory. This does protect the buyer - otherwise you could spend $2,000 on a vet check and have someone else come and buy the horse out from under you. No matter what, a good sales contract protects everyone and spells out all the time-lines, contingencies, etc.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by FayeHanoverian View Post
            From my experience horse shopping I always did a vet check before I put down a deposite. I brought money with me to do the down payment so it was basically if I didn't leave cash both I and the sell considered that they didn't have any obligation to hold the horse for me. I really upset some sells by turning down horses after a vet check, moon blindness in one case, potential OCD coupled with trying to kick the vet in the second case. But I was happy have the ability to walk away after the vet check. One seller in particular really wanted the down payment first, but I made it very clear I would prefer to have the horse sold out from under me than to buy a horse without a vet check. My feeling is as a buyer you get the benefit of being able to walk away without worrying about a deposite, the seller can still entertain other offers. I agree that it's probably polite to offer the first person 48 hours to make her choice if for no other reason then a second vet check takes up more of your time. However, if there is no deposite you are completely within your rights to sell the horse.
            I wouldn't let you vet my horse unless I had a deposit. My time is valuable and there are too many risks involved with a pre-purchase to let it be done willy nilly. You give me a check, I give you a contract and "THE RIGHT" to examine my horse. I held up a numerous vet checks waiting on a deposit and I will again. It is good business and it protects everyone involved. So when someone else calls on a horse that is under contract, I let them know I have a contract, but if it isn't completed by such and such time the horse will be available to purchase. I except up to 2 contracts at a time and inform everyone involved of the circumstances.

            Tim
            Sparling Rock Holsteiners
            www.sparlingrock.com

            Comment


            • #26
              I'm surprised that a deposit before the vet check is common, not something I ran into when I was horse shopping, but I was mostly looking at OTTB and TB/WB crosses so it might be different with somewhat less expensive horses. After the vet check on the mare who kicked at the vet and the vet though had OCD, I got calls and E-mails for two weeks telling me the vet's opinion wasn't valid so I was thrilled I didn't have to fight about getting my deposit back. The horse trying to kick the vet when she went to pick up her back feet was enough of a red flag I probably won't have wanted to go forward even if the vet check was fine (don't flame me here, I'm an ammie and a horse trying seriously to nail the vet isn't something I need to deal with). I worked on the bring cash to the vet check for a deposit if it goes well. I don't plan to be horse shopping in anytime soon, but, I'll be less suspicious if someone asks for a deposite before the vet check.

              Comment


              • #27
                I'm starting to derail the OP thread so I'm going to start a new one. Thanks for all the response so far, I look forward to hearing more.

                Comment


                • #28
                  I have always put down a deposit to hold a horse so that I could have it vet checked and then handed over the complete payment when the horse passed the vet. If I wasn't able to be at the PPE, I would have the money in escrow.

                  I do not expect someone to hold a horse for me without a deposit, nor would I hold one for a buyer since people get cold feet.

                  Originally posted by FayeHanoverian View Post
                  From my experience horse shopping I always did a vet check before I put down a deposite. I brought money with me to do the down payment so it was basically if I didn't leave cash both I and the sell considered that they didn't have any obligation to hold the horse for me. I really upset some sells by turning down horses after a vet check, moon blindness in one case, potential OCD coupled with trying to kick the vet in the second case. But I was happy have the ability to walk away after the vet check. One seller in particular really wanted the down payment first, but I made it very clear I would prefer to have the horse sold out from under me than to buy a horse without a vet check. My feeling is as a buyer you get the benefit of being able to walk away without worrying about a deposite, the seller can still entertain other offers. I agree that it's probably polite to offer the first person 48 hours to make her choice if for no other reason then a second vet check takes up more of your time. However, if there is no deposite you are completely within your rights to sell the horse.
                  Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                  EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    If no contract was signed prior to the vet check and no deposit made tell her she has until this Wednesday to make a decision and give you a signed copy of the sales contract. Call the other party and arrange for a showing sometime after Wednesaday . If they have to fly in let party#2 know on Thursday.
                    I have never had someone take this long to make up there mind after a vet check who actually ended up purchasing a horse.
                    Cindy Bergmann
                    Canterbury Court
                    559-903-4814
                    www.canterbury-court.com

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Give the first interested party first right of refusal if you have someone else ready to put money done. In other words they have to top the second party's offer now to get the horse. No one is actual a buyer until they've handed you the money.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        How long would a seller hold a horse with a deposit?

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by Ladylexie View Post
                          How long would a seller hold a horse with a deposit?
                          Ask the seller. (And I am not sure why you bumped a thread that is four years old to ask this question.)

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by trubandloki View Post

                            Ask the seller. (And I am not sure why you bumped a thread that is four years old to ask this question.)
                            I am asking the seller....sorry I didn't know bumping old threads up was a faux paus.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by Ladylexie View Post

                              I am asking the seller....sorry I didn't know bumping old threads up was a faux paus.
                              I know we're bumping this up, but since it can become a real issue, no harm in answering.

                              Answer: not that long.

                              Once the buyer decides they want the horse, I expect a vetting scheduled asap. I had one woman, a DC mounted police officer, who wanted "her vet" aka the preferred mounted police vet to look at this horse for her personal use. The wait was three weeks. I said, you are welcome to have that vet, but I will not hold the horse three weeks. And I didn't and the horse sold to someone else.

                              After the vetting, I expect to know almost immediately, like, the next day or two. At that point, I want full payment, arrangements for horse to leave in week or so, or start paying board, and have insurance, release and liability, etc.

                              Anything can go wrong, so quickly.

                              We had a horse vetted in Holland, one of Tops' clients. Vetting was good, people were buying, but as horse was being exported she had to quarantined, but the next round of quarantine didn't start for like three weeks, and we didn't argue, but basically Tops didn't want to be responsible (they would not be in Holland), and I was on my own at the time and I SURELY didn't want to be responsible for 250k horse. And I had to ride her because she couldn't be turned out or lunged. It was ulcer inducing.

                              If you want the horse, and it's been vetted in a timely fashion, buy the horse. If you need to think about it for any length of time, it's ok to tell the seller that and be clear you understand they can't hold the horse for you while you are thinking.


                              I would say rather, if you aren't ready to pull the trigger, it's probably not the right time or right horse for you.

                              Let me apologize in advance.

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                Originally posted by ladyj79 View Post

                                I know we're bumping this up, but since it can become a real issue, no harm in answering.

                                Answer: not that long.

                                Once the buyer decides they want the horse, I expect a vetting scheduled asap. I had one woman, a DC mounted police officer, who wanted "her vet" aka the preferred mounted police vet to look at this horse for her personal use. The wait was three weeks. I said, you are welcome to have that vet, but I will not hold the horse three weeks. And I didn't and the horse sold to someone else.

                                After the vetting, I expect to know almost immediately, like, the next day or two. At that point, I want full payment, arrangements for horse to leave in week or so, or start paying board, and have insurance, release and liability, etc.

                                Anything can go wrong, so quickly.

                                We had a horse vetted in Holland, one of Tops' clients. Vetting was good, people were buying, but as horse was being exported she had to quarantined, but the next round of quarantine didn't start for like three weeks, and we didn't argue, but basically Tops didn't want to be responsible (they would not be in Holland), and I was on my own at the time and I SURELY didn't want to be responsible for 250k horse. And I had to ride her because she couldn't be turned out or lunged. It was ulcer inducing.

                                If you want the horse, and it's been vetted in a timely fashion, buy the horse. If you need to think about it for any length of time, it's ok to tell the seller that and be clear you understand they can't hold the horse for you while you are thinking.


                                I would say rather, if you aren't ready to pull the trigger, it's probably not the right time or right horse for you.
                                Ok thanks....im asking because my funds for the horse are not available for a week or two. My money manager will give me an exact timeline on Wednesday. I do want the horse but I understand if the seller doesn't want to wait. I told the seller I would be open to any parameters they may have.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Since you are buying the horse, I would pay board from this time forward. Draw the contract up immediately.
                                  Let me apologize in advance.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    I'm so glad you found a wonderful horse and he passed the vet check. Did the owner respond to your suggestions? Can you put down a deposit, sign a contract, pay board and all care, and insure the horse with payout going to owner? I don't think just paying board is going to be enough.

                                    From a sellers stand point, she is probably not too happy and might not think you are a serious buyer. She probably figured if you vetted a horse, you were ready to buy it. If funds are elsewhere and not readily available, should get them when serious about making a purchase and in advance of a vetting. Even if you put down a deposit, sign a contract, pay board and all care and insure the horse, until the horse is fully paid for, the seller still owns it. Things could go wrong with you getting your money in a few weeks. I personally wouldn't expect the seller to take the horse off the market until you've completed the transaction, even if you do a contract to secure the horse as first right of refusal.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Paying a deposit and board should secure the horse for you. Unless there is another buyer waiting in the wings.

                                      Talk to the seller and see what it takes.

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by Ladylexie View Post

                                        Ok thanks....im asking because my funds for the horse are not available for a week or two. My money manager will give me an exact timeline on Wednesday. I do want the horse but I understand if the seller doesn't want to wait. I told the seller I would be open to any parameters they may have.
                                        If I were the seller, I would expect a serious, non refundable deposit from you and for you to start paying board and insurance on the horse. And a signed contract. However, if they have another buyer in the wings, they might turn you down.

                                        You've been looking at this horse for awhile, right? It seems odd that after several back and forths with the seller and a full vet check that you don't have the cash available. At least, if I were the seller, I might be wondering about it.
                                        Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                        EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Originally posted by Bogie View Post

                                          If I were the seller, I would expect a serious, non refundable deposit from you and for you to start paying board and insurance on the horse. And a signed contract. However, if they have another buyer in the wings, they might turn you down.

                                          You've been looking at this horse for awhile, right? It seems odd that after several back and forths with the seller and a full vet check that you don't have the cash available. At least, if I were the seller, I might be wondering about it.
                                          Done we are all set!

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X