• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Stallion owners: To vaccinate for EVA, or not to vaccinate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stallion owners: To vaccinate for EVA, or not to vaccinate?

I am debating whether or not I should vaccinate my Welsh stallion for EVA. He tested negative before breeding season this year But I would hate having him contract the Virus, then have to deal with the whole EVA protocal.

I know that theres a quarantine period after vaccination (something like 21 days?), and have talked with my vet at length about it. He is adament on the idea that if I do vaccinate him, I cannot ship his semen to Canada. I want to have that option for Canadian mare owners to be able to breed to him, so I don't want to sacrafice that. But I see a lot of stallions that are "EVA Negative, and Vaccinated", who are very popular breeding stallions, and I'm sure they've shipped over the United States borders at one point or another. It's making me wonder if my vet is wrong about it. I havn't shown him much, just little shows this year, but I'm planning on hitting the breed show circuit with him next year

So what are your experiances and opinions?
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

I am in Canada and I bred mares to stallions that have been vaccinated against EVA. There were no issues with shipping semen from a stallion that had been vaccinated.
    Last edited by Galileo1998; Oct. 9, 2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
      I am debating whether or not I should vaccinate my Welsh stallion for EVA. He tested negative before breeding season this year But I would hate having him contract the Virus, then have to deal with the whole EVA protocal.
      Vaccinate. Always, always, ALWAYS vaccinate.

I know that theres a quarantine period after vaccination (something like 21 days?), and have talked with my vet at length about it. He is adament on the idea that if I do vaccinate him, I cannot ship his semen to Canada.
      Your vet is wrong. Flat out wrong. There are no restrictions for importing semen to Canada/USA. The borders are now open.

I want to have that option for Canadian mare owners to be able to breed to him, so I don't want to sacrafice that. But I see a lot of stallions that are "EVA Negative, and Vaccinated", who are very popular breeding stallions, and I'm sure they've shipped over the United States borders at one point or another. It's making me wonder if my vet is wrong about it. I havn't shown him much, just little shows this year, but I'm planning on hitting the breed show circuit with him next year

So what are your experiances and opinions?
      All of our stallions are vaccinated and we ship regularly to Canada. As noted above, your vet is incorrect. Tell him to get in touch with Dr. Timoney at University of Kentucky. You do NOT want to risk your stallion contracting the disease and becoming a shedder. Make sure that when you do vaccinate, you follow a specific protocol. Pull two vials of blood, send one off to be tested, freeze the second vial (in case the first vial is lost or damaged in shipping). IMMEDIATELY upon pulling blood, vaccinate. Quarantine for 28 days (21 days for mares - 28 days for stallions). Your stallion will, from that point on, test positive for EVA. If there is ever any question as to whether or not he is a shedder, you simply pull blood which will confirm that he has antibodies for EVA, and you collect semen and ship both off. The semen, unless he had been exposed prior to vaccination to the virus, will test negative for the disease.

Hope that helps.

Kathy St.Martin
      Equine Reproduction Short Courses
      http://www.equine-reproduction.com
      Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Oct. 9, 2008, 10:24 PM. Reason: Edited to clarify.
      Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
      Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Comment

Kathy - how does the EU and the UK view EVA vaccinated stallions or colts/stallions that have either tested positive for EVA or vaccinated for EVA shipping over to Europe? Either themselves or their semen?

We have my breeding stallion in our barn as well as his yearling son who will be shipping over to the UK in about 3 years time. I am very concerned that if we DO vaccinate him, he may be refused entry into the UK once he is due to leave.

Is that correct or no?
        www.TrueColoursFarm.com
        www.truecoloursproducts.com

True Colours Farm on Facebook

Comment

I think it is stallion owners responsibility to vaccinate for EVA.
          Robin Stewart
          www.woodsendfarm.com

Comment

Originally posted by TrueColours View Post
            Kathy - how does the EU and the UK view EVA vaccinated stallions or colts/stallions that have either tested positive for EVA or vaccinated for EVA shipping over to Europe? Either themselves or their semen?

We have my breeding stallion in our barn as well as his yearling son who will be shipping over to the UK in about 3 years time. I am very concerned that if we DO vaccinate him, he may be refused entry into the UK once he is due to leave.

Is that correct or no?
            I'm not sure about that as I was told not to by vet when I asked about getting my mare vaccinated when I sent her to Germany last year..he said I might not get her back into the UK?
            I think you need to contact DEFRA in the UK to make sure.
            www.shannonleighstables.com
            www.electrum-cremello-tb-uk.com

Comment

We follow what is best for our boys and we vaccinate.
              Sandy
              www.sugarbrook.com
              hunter/jumper ponies

Comment

I vaccinated both of my stallions this Spring for the first time.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks Kathy, thats a HUGE help I have been fretting over this ever since I bought him, as it would be a huge hit to have him come up EVA positive one year (I was just going to test him every year before breeding season).

How far away does he have to be from the other horses? Does he have to be totally secluded in a box stall, or can he be in a 12X24ft with 12ft between to the nearest fenceline?

I do have several pregnant mares on the property, so I've been playing with the idea of trying to find some place to board him until the quarantine period was up.
                  Facebook Page.

Comment

I'm wondering about shipping frozen semen to EU and UK also. I was advised not to vaccinate by my vet also, if sending semen outside North America?????
                    "Sport N Curls"
                    Sport Horse type Curlies and Sport Ponies with the mind, looks and athletic ability to compete in a variety of disciplines.
                    www.seldomcreek.com

Comment

Originally posted by TrueColours View Post
                      A stallion that tests positive for EVA must be tested to be sure that he is not shedding the virus in their semen. They have no issues with allowing a stallion that has been tested negative and vaccinated being imported. So, no issues.

Is that correct or no?
                      Not an issue. Vaccinate now. If you wait and they acquire the virus and end up becoming shedders, your toast. They will not allow them to be imported. However, stallions that are tested negative and vaccinated, can be imported.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by SportNCurls View Post
                        I'm wondering about shipping frozen semen to EU and UK also. I was advised not to vaccinate by my vet also, if sending semen outside North America?????
                        ARRGGgggg <stabbing myself in the eye>....Your vet is incorrect!!!!!!! VACCINATE!!! There are a handful of countries (I think like 4) and most of them are like third world countries that chances are pretty darn remote that you are going to ship semen or a stallion to that will not allow semen or the stallion into the country IF they have been vaccinated. 99% of ALL countries will allow a vaccinated stallion who is negative in his semen into the country. ALL of the EU, including the UK will accept vaccinated stallions so long as they were negative prior to vaccination and are negative in their semen.

It is really, really frustrating that so many vets, even after the whole Quarter Horse EVA blow up still do not understand the disease and are advising their clients improperly/inappropriately. Incredibly frustrating. And, it would be tragic if someone opted for their vet's advise and end up with their stallion contracting the disease. Send your vets to our website to read the article(s) on EVA. http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...VA/index.shtml
                        http://www.equine-reproduction.com/articles/EVA.shtml
                        http://www.equine-reproduction.com/a...VA-facts.shtml

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Dressage_Diva333 View Post
                          Thanks Kathy, thats a HUGE help I have been fretting over this ever since I bought him, as it would be a huge hit to have him come up EVA positive one year (I was just going to test him every year before breeding season).
                          While that will tell you that your stallion was negative last year and that he was negative at the time the test was run, literally by the time the results come back, he could have been exposed and be a shedder. Vaccinate. It's easy, it's cheap and it's good insurance.

How far away does he have to be from the other horses? Does he have to be totally secluded in a box stall, or can he be in a 12X24ft with 12ft between to the nearest fenceline?
                          That would be sufficient. You just don't want them to be able to come into contact with each other.

I do have several pregnant mares on the property, so I've been playing with the idea of trying to find some place to board him until the quarantine period was up.
                          No need. Keep the pregnant mares further away, but truly, it's not difficult if you just keep them from having any physical contact with each other.

Hope that helps!

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                            I'm not sure about that as I was told not to by vet when I asked about getting my mare vaccinated when I sent her to Germany last year..he said I might not get her back into the UK?
                            I think you need to contact DEFRA in the UK to make sure.
                            Nope. She'll be tested and may end up staying in quarantine a bit longer, but mares are not carriers of the disease. If they have contracted the disease and are in the acute stage of it, it is the only time they can shed the virus. If they have a titer level for it, it just indicates that they have been exposed or vaccinated at some point in their life. Your vet is incorrect, as well. The UK will allow the importation of both stallions and mares that have been vaccinated for the virus, so long as they are not shedding the virus. Period.

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
                              I vaccinated both of my stallions this Spring for the first time.
                              YEAH!!!!! You go girl! Now, no worries on them inadvertently contracting the disease!

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
                                YEAH!!!!! You go girl! Now, no worries on them inadvertently contracting the disease!

Kathy St.Martin
                                Thanks Kathy and your advice that you have posted here on this topic is one reason I did it. I feel much better now knowing my boys are protected.

I am giving a class on AI/Repro (in the context of a rare breed preservation) Saturday here at our farm at our registry's annual meeting and one topic we will discuss is EVA!

Comment

• Original Poster

Great

I will get a place set up for him tomorrow where he can't touch any other horses. He has hi ASPR inspection next weekend, so I'll have him vaccinated immediatly after that.

Thanks so much for everybody's responses.
                                  Facebook Page.

Comment

Kathy, thanks so much for your accurate advice.

I have two stallions - they live side by side and share a fenceline, on the extreme end of our bank of paddocks that are attached to the stable row. No touch contact is possible with other horses on the place if we keep an empty stall and run between the "inside" stall/run and the remainder of the stable complex. The narrowest gap is ten feet - can "sneeze spray" carry the virus? We keep geldings between the Boys and the fillies - broodies are at the far end.

Only one of these boys is a currently breeding stallion (the old guy is retired) - would you advise vaccinating BOTH, and then doing the quarantine time? Young stud tested negative in his pre-inspection vetting last year, but was not vaccinated at that time (at least, I didn't see it on the billing). I will take your answer to my vets!

Kate
                                    Homesick Angels Farm
                                    breeders of champion Irish Draught Sporthorses
                                    standing Manu Forti's Touch Down RID
                                    www.IrishHuntersandJumpers.com

Comment

Originally posted by AdAblurr02 View Post
                                      Only one of these boys is a currently breeding stallion (the old guy is retired) - would you advise vaccinating BOTH, and then doing the quarantine time?
                                      I would. It's easy enough to do, they're close to each other and it just prevents any issues in the future. As you have both of your boys in a situation for quarantining and they are adjacent to each other, why not?

Your setup is definitely workable for the quarantine and vaccination. Good luck!

Kathy St.Martin

Comment

Are there live and killed virus versions of the vaccine?

Comment

Working...
                                        X